Transfers (rumours) thread

Glasgow_Saint

Only heard the names mentioned I have already mentioned.

One mane that keeps popping up and apparently the manager really wants him is Terence Kongolo but I don't know to much about him

Kongolo is a fantastic prospect and one that Feyenoord fans really dont want to lose. (probably their board too)

They have pretty much resigned and know that De Vrij and probably Clasie too will leave but this guy they absolutely would fight to keep at least another year.

Kongolo is a fantastic prospect and one that Feyenoord fans really dont want to lose. (probably their board too)

They have pretty much resigned and know that De Vrij and probably Clasie too will leave but this guy they absolutely would fight to keep at least another year.

Maybe that's why its taking so long, apparently we are in talks regarding him. And Ron really wants him

Only heard the names mentioned I have already mentioned.

One mane that keeps popping up and apparently the manager really wants him is Terence Kongolo but I don't know to much about him

Wow, very good prospect, still young but very similar in the way he plays and reminds me of Vincent kompany when up and coming at anderlecht

Comments last week from Feyenoord is that Clasie will not be leaving this window.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/18/feyenoords-jordy-clasie-will-not-move-to-the-premier-league-amid-interest-from-manchester-united-liverpool-and-arsenal-4803415/

Of course it remains to be seen if their Technical Directors comments prove more reliable than Les Reeds, and if Feyenoord limit the exodus having already accepted the loss of others from their young squad.

Southampton decided to pay € 9M for the transfer of the Colombian Teofilo Gutierrez, River Plate player.

Hmm hasn't got a great goals record and is quite old again. Change in transfer policy?

He was decent, hard working striker. 29 though and never played in a major European league.

Sounds well worth avoiding.

If we have that money to 'throw around' as a gamble then I suspect we'd test Burnley's resolve to keep Ings with that.

Comments last week from Feyenoord is that Clasie will not be leaving this window.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/18/feyenoords-jordy-clasie-will-not-move-to-the-premier-league-amid-interest-from-manchester-united-liverpool-and-arsenal-4803415/

Of course it remains to be seen if their Technical Directors comments prove more reliable than Les Reeds, and if Feyenoord limit the exodus having already accepted the loss of others from their young squad.

I´ve missed that, thought he was dead certain to leave. Would love him here but I also think Koeman might have recognized JWP to be a similar player and wants to turn him into our Clasie.

Koeman is very much the one that has made Clasie into the player he is, was very raw 2-3 yrs ago but a fantastic player now IMO.

So how many of the Feyenoord team have actually left or are leaving?

I´ve missed that, thought he was dead certain to leave. Would love him here but I also think Koeman might have recognized JWP to be a similar player and wants to turn him into our Clasie.

Koeman is very much the one that has made Clasie into the player he is, was very raw 2-3 yrs ago but a fantastic player now IMO.

I too was hoping RK might be able to persuade him to come to us but think its unlikely.

I too was hoping RK might be able to persuade him to come to us but think its unlikely.

Yes, but I think a transfer like that would very much rely on if they go through from their CL qualifier or not.

If not he might leave late august but if they beat Besiktas and qualify for CL he´ll stay.

And would be competing for a spot against two of our brightest right-backs (and don't tell me he's actually a centre back because if so, why didn't City use him as such?)

Not sure we can be choosy about CBs at the moment. Looks a bit weak to me. (Our ability here, not MR)

Feel very let down by the club at the moment. Whatever way you look at it, selling virtually half your side in 1 window, is a f*ck up of epic proportions. Even if it is for top dollar.

They deserve until the end of the window to make any conclusions however the statement that they will reinvest every penny back into the first team and we're on the verge of raising £75m of which around £18m has been spent leaves me worried as to how we'll spend £55m+ (if indeed we do, but I wouldn't like to think our new transparent era would result in us being lied to...).

They deserve until the end of the window to make any conclusions however the statement that they will reinvest every penny back into the first team and we're on the verge of raising £75m of which around £18m has been spent leaves me worried as to how we'll spend £55m+ (if indeed we do' date=' but I wouldn't like to think our new transparent era would result in us being lied to...).[/quote']

Not forgetting the oodles of TV money on top of that

Not forgetting the oodles of TV money on top of that

I'd be happy if we reinvested portions of the money into renewing contracts for players as well, plus it is fair to say that we have the manage wages properly so some of those transfer fees will need to be used for wages on new players however just the thought of a panic last few weeks of the window and overpaying for some bang average players is worrying.

They deserve until the end of the window to make any conclusions however the statement that they will reinvest every penny back into the first team and we're on the verge of raising £75m of which around £18m has been spent leaves me worried as to how we'll spend £55m+ (if indeed we do' date=' but I wouldn't like to think our new transparent era would result in us being lied to...).[/quote']

I'm willing to give them more time, but at this moment it looks bad and I do feel let down that we haven't put our foot down over Lovren. I'll be massively annoyed if Morgan goes as well and no amount of spin would possibly persuade me that it would be good for the club.

I'd be happy if we reinvested portions of the money into renewing contracts for players as well' date=' plus it is fair to say that we have the manage wages properly so some of those transfer fees will need to be used for wages on new players however just the thought of a panic last few weeks of the window and overpaying for some bang average players is worrying.[/quote']

What about the £90m we get from Sky. Some of that budget should go towards new players, so in my book, the very least we should expect is spending all the transfer money we generate.

What about the £90m we get from Sky. Some of that budget should go towards new players, so in my book, the very least we should expect is spending all the transfer money we generate.

Yeah maybe. Pragmatically speaking it would be hard for a club our size to spend £75m+ in one transfer window however I didn't make the statement they would and they did so it's over to them :lol:

It's brilliant how people say we've sold half the team or 6-7, when we have only sold three and state that we have only bought 2 when we have. FFS give the club time they need, this is not their doing. Maybe they could of handled the PR a little better but what matters is the end result. For those of us who remember pre internet times, the lack of rumour and counter rumour was far more relaxing. Mind you the window was longer of course! Believe what actually happens not what people who have no allegiance to SFC whatsoever and only have their income as their motive.

It's brilliant how people say we've sold half the team or 6-7, when we have only sold three and state that we have only bought 2 when we have. FFS give the club time they need, this is not their doing. Maybe they could of handled the PR a little better but what matters is the end result. For those of us who remember pre internet times, the lack of rumour and counter rumour was far more relaxing. Mind you the window was longer of course! Believe what actually happens not what people who have no allegiance to SFC whatsoever and only have their income as their motive.

I agree with much of what you say, but selling players under contract is the club's doing.

It has been mentioned by both Guan and Koeman himself that we are after 4 or 5 new players. I wonder if it is 4 with Lovren expected to leave, or 4, but 5 if Lovren leaves. Or potentially 4, but 5 if Schneiderlin leaves.

I can't see us signing a central midfielder even if Schneiderlin goes.

So what positions are most important? Lets assume Lovren has gone.

if we sign 4: GK, LB, CB, ST

if we sign 5: GK, LB, CB, ST, WG

I'd want 2 centre backs really, so 6 players... bit of a disaster if we sign just 4.

I get that and am disappointed too, but it was always going to be no sales or lots of sales. It would have taken investment, keeping them all really going for 4th. Even then, would these players stay for a small chance of 4th when they can get more money, higher chances and instant CL football?

It would be easy to blame the club, individuals etc as it offers more hope. Hope that someone else will come in and it'll all be different. But don't buy the myth that Cortese could have kept them. What weird relationship would have made all these footballers stop acting like footballers and agents stop acting like agents? We just had tell many good young players and it will keep happening. All you can do is get the best price, reinvest and keep growing to minimise how much it happens in the future.

Which is ridiculous, but that's what the sport has become. I'm surprised Clyne and Wanyama haven't been snapped up too. Both good enough for top 5 sides and must be worried about all the sales.

I don't understand the concept that a club is somehow powerless to stop a player leaving they have under contract. History is littered with examples of the exact opposite happening.

It has been mentioned by both Guan and Koeman himself that we are after 4 or 5 new players. I wonder if it is 4 with Lovren expected to leave, or 4, but 5 if Lovren leaves. Or potentially 4, but 5 if Schneiderlin leaves.

I can't see us signing a central midfielder even if Schneiderlin goes.

So what positions are most important? Lets assume Lovren has gone.

if we sign 4: GK, LB, CB, ST

if we sign 5: GK, LB, CB, ST, WG

I'd want 2 centre backs really, so 6 players... bit of a disaster if we sign just 4.

I don't think we'll be buying any more attacking players.

LB x1, CB x2, GK x1 all starters. At least that will shore up whats looking like a colander of a defense.

I don't understand the concept that a club is somehow powerless to stop a player leaving they have under contract. History is littered with examples of the exact opposite happening.
History isn't littered with examples though, yes a few exist, but how many instances of a player coming out with a statement like Lovren's and then going on to remain a success at their club?

Les Reed said in this interview that all funds generated by the sales would be reinvested into the squad. He didn't give a time scale and he didn't say that the investment would be in the form of fees paid for new players. IMO it would be unrealistic for Saints to spend in the region of £75M on transfer fees in one window, however there is always January to make further investment and I would expect JRod and JWP's new contracts to have been funded by some of the incoming revenue.

Les Reed said in this interview that all funds generated by the sales would be reinvested into the squad. He didn't give a time scale and he didn't say that the investment would be in the form of fees paid for new players. IMO it would be unrealistic for Saints to spend in the region of £75M on transfer fees in one window, however there is always January to make further investment and I would expect JRod and JWP's new contracts to have been funded by some of the incoming revenue.

What about the wages saved by the outgoing players?

They're each getting 1.5m a week deals? :)

I get that and am disappointed too, but it was always going to be no sales or lots of sales. It would have taken investment, keeping them all really going for 4th. Even then, would these players stay for a small chance of 4th when they can get more money, higher chances and instant CL football?

It would be easy to blame the club, individuals etc as it offers more hope. Hope that someone else will come in and it'll all be different. But don't buy the myth that Cortese could have kept them. What weird relationship would have made all these footballers stop acting like footballers and agents stop acting like agents? We just had tell many good young players and it will keep happening. All you can do is get the best price, reinvest and keep growing to minimise how much it happens in the future.

Which is ridiculous, but that's what the sport has become. I'm surprised Clyne and Wanyama haven't been snapped up too. Both good enough for top 5 sides and must be worried about all the sales.

Agree.

There is only one way that this will change, and it won't ever happen, and that is a wage cap (as mentioned on the other thread) which all can afford and thus prevent players moving for fiscal reasons alone. Look at the various incomes that the clubs buying our players have and look what they can offer the players. We cannot compete, pure and simple. The PL is happy with the situation, and that is all that matters. Why people are surprised is a mystery. This is why I say I love Saints but hate football - football has been completely ruined and the competition that is the PL is an absolute joke. I really see little point of having a competition where three quarters of the participants have zero chance of winning it. I guess if I supported one of those that had a chance of winning it, I would think differently. It is only my love of Saints that keeps me going to games. I don't bother with Sky or BT football, as I have little interest in other teams and Saints rarely feature.

We just happened to have a certain number of players peak, or come to the attention of the bigger clubs, all at the same time. And then, what really is the point of the academy? It is to discover and develop players so that they can play for the team. If we are never going to be able to challenge for the title, then I can only think that they are being developed to be sold at a large profit having played for the senior team for a year or two. So the whole club is set up to produce top rated players that go on to get sold at huge profits, so why be surprised when it happens? We are a selling club and that would appear to be the business model.

Do we have any strong incoming rumors at all at the moment?

The ITK chaps have said give it another week and things will be looking much brighter, but generally speaking we have always had a sniff of a signing and his identity at least a week before if not more in the past. Does not bode well really...

Do we have any strong incoming rumors at all at the moment?

The ITK chaps have said give it another week and things will be looking much brighter, but generally speaking we have always had a sniff of a signing and his identity at least a week before if not more in the past. Does not bode well really...

Shhh, the transfer committee are pentreliaing the club.

This happens in every league in Europe, it's even worse in say Germany or Scotland where only one team can win it. The same happened in NFL years ago and all the fans switched off, the administrators realised this and introduced limits on yearly team expenditure and now you have a more open competition year on year.

Look at they way the lower leagues and grass roots are treated. The game in this country and media support is all about 5 or 6 teams and the rest make up the numbers

What will eventually happen is the European super league, money will make it happen

What will eventually happen is the European super league, money will make it happen

The only problem with a 'European Super League' is if you have around half a dozen massive huge teams taking part in it - some of them are going to finish at the bottom end of the league and not win many matches. Imagine Manchester United fans putting up with only winning six out of twenty-four league games?

I can't see that happening.

They might ignore and laugh at clubs like Saints but they need them so they have guaranteed easy wins for the fans.

Currently I am hoping that this week Saints might have some good news for the fans - surely if they are the business people and 'football' people they say they are the must know that a never ending relentless stream of 'leaving', 'wants to leave', 'target for', 'not accepting contract offer', news stories even if they are wind and **** can get very tiring and wearing for the average supporter.

The nutters are always going to be unhappy though and should probably think about supporting Manchester City because in general things are not going to go the way Southampton FC want...in my opinion based on reality and experience.

This happens in every league in Europe, it's even worse in say Germany or Scotland where only one team can win it. The same happened in NFL years ago and all the fans switched off, the administrators realised this and introduced limits on yearly team expenditure and now you have a more open competition year on year.

Look at they way the lower leagues and grass roots are treated. The game in this country and media support is all about 5 or 6 teams and the rest make up the numbers

Completely agree. The Champions League - where a team who finish 4th can qualify!! It's all about the money!!

Although I dont want to see it happen I think a European Super League is a forgone conclusion. On the plus side it will clear out the top 4 or 5 and make way for a more competitive Premiership. I think there would need to be a wage cap too so that we dont end up with another top 4 monopolising the league again. It would be so good to go back to the days when clubs the size of Southampton, Forest, Derby and Ipswich were up there challenging and winning things.

Although I dont want to see it happen I think a European Super League is a forgone conclusion. On the plus side it will clear out the top 4 or 5 and make way for a more competitive Premiership. I think there would need to be a wage cap too so that we dont end up with another top 4 monopolising the league again. It would be so good to go back to the days when clubs the size of Southampton, Forest, Derby and Ipswich were up there challenging and winning things.

in the 20 years or so before the prem, roughly the same number of different teams won Englands 3 major cups compared to the prem years

depsite what you say

What about the wages saved by the outgoing players?

What about them? I'd expect that there will be a pretty much like for like transfer of wages between outgoing and replacement / additional players so the increases for the likes of JRod and JWP would be funded by sales revenues.

SOG - I completely 100% agree. What a fantastic thing that would be to see, anyone but anyone could win the league (with luck and some good form).

The media constantly go on about how competitive the Premier League is 'this year' - they say it every year - and then go on to say only three teams have got a real chance to win the title.

There is an awful lot to hate in modern day football and most people I know say it but everyone keeps going and paying the prices and yearning for the money of the Premier League so I can never see it end - not unless there are few more empty stadiums every weekend.

Ain't gonna happen...

in the 20 years or so before the prem, roughly the same number of different teams won Englands 3 major cups compared to the prem years

depsite what you say

If you look at the top 5 or 6 there was plenty of variety. Teams from the then 2nd Division won the FA Cup. Teams like Notts Forest were successful in Europe. England Internationals like Mike Channon played in the 2nd Division. Teams like Manchester United and Tottenham were relegated. Pre Premiership was a very different world.

SOG - I completely 100% agree. What a fantastic thing that would be to see, anyone but anyone could win the league (with luck and some good form).

The media constantly go on about how competitive the Premier League is 'this year' - they say it every year - and then go on to say only three teams have got a real chance to win the title.

There is an awful lot to hate in modern day football and most people I know say it but everyone keeps going and paying the prices and yearning for the money of the Premier League so I can never see it end - not unless there are few more empty stadiums every weekend.

Ain't gonna happen...

I know it sounds like jumpers goalposts etc, but I used to go and watch 1st Divsion football matches with my pocket money. I cant afford to spend the type of money you need to spend to watch live Premiership football now. As long as people are prepared to pay these over inflated prices and buy very expensive replica kits nothing will change. The good old days are long gone and I doubt very much if we will ever see their like again.