Will Koeman sign a new deal this summer?

Batman

I think he will.

The premier league is clearly the place to be.

he is not going to get the dutch job for a couple of years at the earliest.

Doubt united will want him, Arsenal probably not.

I doubt he is on the Barcelona radar...so where does he go?

This league next year is going to be very interesting. Some absolute top class managers over here and huge rise in TV money.

to that end, I think he will sign....maybe a 2 year extension (and a nice pay rise, obviously)

With all that in mind, should he not sign, the media scrutiny about it all will be horrible.

If he leaves but stays in PL, then I guess it depends on whether other teams get rid of their manager or they leave. There are 3 clubs that realistically might - Arsenal, Everton and Spurs. Will those clubs need new managers? Spurs - probably not, but you never know who might come in for MP. Arsenal seem content with AW. Everton - if they win the FA Cup then Martinez might be OK, but he has been pretty underwhelming.

Why on earth would he go to Everton? That is a drop down compared to us.

Have they got new owners? Even if they have it's much of a muchness really, unless they win the FA Cup and sack Martinez anyway meaning guaranteed Europa League football. Seems unlikely on all counts.

Koeman isn't getting a better Prem job than us any time soon, he'll need to win a cup with us or take us to at least sixth to even be considered for the likes of Arsenal. Frankly he is not of a high enough calibre for one of the elite jobs. One day, maybe, he'd take over at Barcelona but driven by sentiment rather than ability and even then I think they've moved on and it won't happen now. Would be a bit like us replacing Koeman with Micky Adams. The moment has passed.

I'd say Ronald is very, very similar level to Mark Hughes. And neither of them are going to work anywhere higher than they are now, beyond rotating around big-ish established Premier League clubs, or making a move to a second class Champions League team like Atletico or Wolfsburg or Porto etc etc.

Edited by CB Fry

I'd say Ronald is very, very similar level to Mark Hughes. And neither of them are going to work anywhere higher than they are now, beyond rotating around big-ish established Premier League clubs, or making a move to a second class Champions League team like Atletico or Wolfsburg or Porto etc etc.

Not sure you can call Atletico second class. Not least because their current manager is one of the most sought after in the world!

Not sure you can call Atletico second class. Not least because their current manager is one of the most sought after in the world!

Second class Champions League - even if they win the Champions League they're still a smaller proposition than the big two in Spain and also the likes of Man United. But you're right - they are too big for Koeman.

I think he will.

The premier league is clearly the place to be.

he is not going to get the dutch job for a couple of years at the earliest.

Doubt united will want him, Arsenal probably not.

I doubt he is on the Barcelona radar...so where does he go?

This league next year is going to be very interesting. Some absolute top class managers over here and huge rise in TV money.

to that end, I think he will sign....maybe a 2 year extension (and a nice pay rise, obviously)

With all that in mind, should he not sign, the media scrutiny about it all will be horrible.

Spurs of course when Poch moves on to ManUtd

If he doesn't I would go for pellegrini he even said he wants to stay in the Prem at a smaller club :)

That would be pretty awesome. However, I imagine it would be Everton where he would end up. I don't know if we would be a big enough draw. But then again, we have (or will hopefully have had) three top 8 seasons in a row after this one, so maybe we would be tempting enough.

I think that it's purely down to Ronald Koeman, as I don't think he's a man who is easily influenced or prone to rash decisions. World class player, managed a number of big clubs effectively, strong character, already a multi-millionaire - so I think it will be as much to do with lifestyle as money and greater fame. I'm sure Ron is still ambitious, as he's a winner, but it would take a very attractive proposition, and I think he would love to win something with Saints...

Just can't see the board allowing RK to run into his final season without signing a contract and risk all the same uncertainty that MoPo leaving caused.

Would be gutted to see him go but can him going to an Arsenal or another European club in the summer.

Contracts are irrelevant when it comes to managers though, doesn't matter if he has 6 years or 6 months left, he could leave whenever he wants.

Contracts are irrelevant when it comes to managers though, doesn't matter if he has 6 years or 6 months left, he could leave whenever he wants.

Although, Koeman appears to be someone who honours contracts - he said categorically that he would see out his 3 year contract here regardless of any other opportunities that might arise.

So I think its unlikely that Koeman would sign a new contract whilst keeping the door open to resign before the end of it.

Although, Koeman appears to be someone who honours contracts - he said categorically that he would see out his 3 year contract here regardless of any other opportunities that might arise.

So I think its unlikely that Koeman would sign a new contract whilst keeping the door open to resign before the end of it.

Maybe - but I think as a club we won't let him see his final year out without further commitment.

We haven't let any players do that and there is no way the club are going go through an entire season with that much uncertainty.

If he wants to complete that third year, he'll need to sign something this summer.

Koeman staying on to complete his last year with no commitment beyond is fine and dandy if you happen to be Ronald Koeman but completely useless and counterproductive if you happen to be Southampton Football Club. We won't let it happen.

My brother, who is a Chelsea supporter and is therefore unreliable, claims that Koeman is reported to have upset 2 or 3 of the Saints' players by adopting a more abrasive attitude recently. If true, maybe it would be time to move on, but I have my doubts as to whether there is any truth in this. Anyone have any information?

My brother, who is a Chelsea supporter and is therefore unreliable, claims that Koeman is reported to have upset 2 or 3 of the Saints' players by adopting a more abrasive attitude recently. If true, maybe it would be time to move on, but I have my doubts as to whether there is any truth in this. Anyone have any information?

Nowt wrong with an abrasive attitude - the man is a winner and had that mentality - if he feels certain players are not performing upto his standards then it's totally understandable imo

Maybe - but I think as a club we won't let him see his final year out without further commitment.

We haven't let any players do that and there is no way the club are going go through an entire season with that much uncertainty.

If he wants to complete that third year, he'll need to sign something this summer.

Koeman staying on to complete his last year with no commitment beyond is fine and dandy if you happen to be Ronald Koeman but completely useless and counterproductive if you happen to be Southampton Football Club. We won't let it happen.

Yep, totally agree. All of which could lead us to one of our semi-regular meltdowns in the summer :)

The newspaper that reported similar a few days ago?

K

So you are saying we will terminate his contract this summer?

I don't believe he will sign anything, why should he? He is honouring the contract he has already signed.

He also doesn't need a job to be available this summer as he has one for next season already and I do not believe he will break that contract.

I believe, as has happened in the past, he will see out his contract and pick his next job next summer. In the mix of jobs then could be Saints depending on next seasons results/investment.

Doesn't Pep do the same?

K

So you are saying we will terminate his contract this summer?

I don't believe he will sign anything, why should he? He is honouring the contract he has already signed.

He also doesn't need a job to be available this summer as he has one for next season already and I do not believe he will break that contract.

I believe, as has happened in the past, he will see out his contract and pick his next job next summer. In the mix of jobs then could be Saints depending on next seasons results/investment.

Doesn't Pep do the same?

in the mean time, the media speculation would be unbearable. It was bad enough when WGS announced he was leaving. this would be a whole new level

at the end of the day, the club are not a charity and they will do what is best for the club. What ever that is

100% agree. As much as I rate him, if he doesn't commit beyond next season, it would be better for the club to find someone else.

Fingers crossed that it gets resolved. He is a great manager. If I was on the board, I would have 100% trust in him when it comes to signing players etc. I hope it doesn't come down to egos.

in the mean time, the media speculation would be unbearable. It was bad enough when WGS announced he was leaving. this would be a whole new level

at the end of the day, the club are not a charity and they will do what is best for the club. What ever that is

Unbearable for who? Maybe the fans but RK has seen out contracts before?

We aren't that popular , to make the back page just because our manager has not signed a new contract would be no more than a few times over the season. Even then It would only get a load of press if we had a good season. If we had a good season there will be speculation even if he has already signed a new deal. Can't see it matters ultimately.

100% agree. As much as I rate him, if he doesn't commit beyond next season, it would be better for the club to find someone else.

Fingers crossed that it gets resolved. He is a great manager. If I was on the board, I would have 100% trust in him when it comes to signing players etc. I hope it doesn't come down to egos.

So the question is if he is unlikely to sign a new deal, so we need a new manager in less than three months ..as we are terminating his contract, who do we want?

We aren't that popular , to make the back page just because our manager has not signed a new contract would be no more than a few times over the season. Even then It would only get a load of press if we had a good season. If we had a good season there will be speculation even if he has already signed a new deal. Can't see it matters ultimately.

the media speculation would be a big distraction. more so than in 2004 where the manager ended up leaving early

the media speculation would be a big distraction. more so than in 2004 where the manager ended up leaving early

imo it would be a mental decision to get rid of a good manager with a year on his contract left..we'd still have to pay him and who else is better? How can other teams manage to have a manager in his last year but not be so paranoid as they have to sack him?

Makes no sense to me?

It's not about the media, but others are right, it would go on and on all season. It's about players too, it's about planning for the future, and also about the relationship between the manager and the fans.

If we go on a stinking run like we have twice this season, what will many fans' perception of him be then? Would Koeman really care if we finished tenth or sixth? Would the players be giving their all for a manager who is halfway out the door? How much of a fu ck will RK give about developing the next generation of young players, and just as importantly, how much of a fu ck do you think fans will think he gives? Players sign for lots of reasons, but one is the manager. Is the next Mane or VVD going to sign for four years when clearly the manager has no intent to? Who on earth would we sign in that January window - why would we give Koeman a penny?

This is not Feyenoord and personally I don't really care what Ronald Koeman has done before wiht running contracts down. This is not the Ronald Koeman show, it's Southampton Football Club.

I've said the several times, I think he will serve three years and go, but that only works if his last season is not blatantly and unequivocally his last season, he'll need to sign something to kill the story. Strachan was effing murder and than was a few weeks. Imagine an entire season and two transfer windows.

Edited by CB Fry

imo it would be a mental decision to get rid of a good manager with a year on his contract left..we'd still have to pay him and who else is better? How can other teams manage to have a manager in his last year but not be so paranoid as they have to sack him?

Makes no sense to me?

The chances of us sacking him are virtually zero, but that's not the same as the management of the club just bimbling about saying to the fanbase "oh Ronald has got a contract until next June so we'll leave him be until about May 15th next year. Well tell you when he decides he wants to talk to us".

You'll remember the outrage about how we were "caught napping/humilated/done over/etc etc" by Toby right?

Imagine that. Multiplied by about a million.

It's not about the media, but others are right, it would go on and on all season. It's about players too, it's about planning for the future, and also about the relationship between the manager and the fans.

If we go on a stinking run like we have twice this season, what will many fans' perception of him be then? Would Koeman really care if we finished tenth or sixth? Would the players be giving their all for a manager who is halfway out the door? How much of a fu ck will RK give about developing the next generation of young players, and just as importantly, how much of a fu ck do you think fans will think he gives? Players sign for lots of reasons, but one is the manager. Is the next Mane or VVD going to sign for four years when clearly the manager has no intent to? Who on earth would we sign in that January window - why would we give Koeman a penny?

This is not Feyenoord and personally I don't really care what Ronald Koeman has done before wiht running contracts down. This is not the Ronald Koeman show, it's Southampton Football Club.

I've said the several times, I think he will serve three years and go, but that only works if his last season is not blatantly and unequivocally his last season, he'll need to sign something to kill the story. Strachan was effing murder and than was a few weeks. Imagine an entire season and two transfer windows.

You do realise we have had at least three managers in e last six years and from memory the last manager we had to do a stretch of more than three years is probably Chris Nicholl?

How many managers really give a fig about long term planning ?

The chances of us sacking him are virtually zero, but that's not the same as the management of the club just bimbling about saying to the fanbase "oh Ronald has got a contract until next June so we'll leave him be until about May 15th next year. Well tell you when he decides he wants to talk to us".

You'll remember the outrage about how we were "caught napping/humilated/done over/etc etc" by Toby right?

So if we aren't sacking him and he won't sign we are letting him see out his contract and organising a replacement for next summer? Isn't that exactly what I said?

You do realise we have had at least three managers in e last six years and from memory the last manager we had to do a stretch of more than three years is probably Chris Nicholl?

How many managers really give a fig about long term planning ?

Just remind me how many of those managers had a year-long farewell tour.

So if we aren't sacking him and he won't sign we are letting him see out his contract and organising a replacement for next summer? Isn't that exactly what I said?

No.

Sorry just what are you suggesting should/will happen next year if RK doesn't sign a new contract?

The club and Koeman will resolve the situation. The club won't just sit on their hands and do nothing because that's what Ronald did at other clubs so lets just let him do whatever he wants.

The club and Koeman will resolve the situation. The club won't just sit on their hands and do nothing because that's what Ronald did at other clubs so lets just let him do whatever he wants.

What if they can't? Couldn't with Clynne? So sold him...

If he won't sign we can't force him!

So presumedly the only scenario beyond him signing a new deal is to let him leave for elsewhere or make him?

So presumedly the only scenario beyond him signing a new deal is to let him leave for elsewhere or make him?

In his opinion, it looks like it.

I can't see why he just can't continue under his current contract that's what it's for. To me it's not an issue. Managers come and go in days, so does it matter at what point in the contract he is? LVG is at the same point in his contract are Man U fans panicking? Wenger always ran his down, did arsenal fans panic? Lots of them do it but it's only us who seem to be all flustered!

If he is going to sign IMO it will be this summer, otherwise he will be doing a year on less money than he could be.