Out Of The England Players That Played Tonight - Who Would Get A Game At Saints

Gemmel

Only Walker, Sturridge, Townsend & Rooney imho.

Hart was outstanding, but that's not the norm and I wouldn't haven't him in over Forster.

Sturridge on his day in incredible, but those days are few (Same as our strikers) but still good enough to get in.

We should have bought Townsend.

Would have our Center Half's over Cahill and Stones, noting that Stones has huge potential.

Henderson , may be mascot or ball boy, but nowhere near the first team.

Obviously depends if they're in league form or international form.

Players aren't helped by such stale slow football.

If you take the individual players, then probably the majority.

Stones will be a brilliant CB, but he's nowhere neat the finish article yet. CM is a real problem position for England, we're terrible in there.

Only Walker, Sturridge, Townsend & Rooney imho.

Hart was outstanding, but that's not the norm and I wouldn't haven't him in over Forster.

Sturridge on his day in incredible, but those days are few (Same as our strikers) but still good enough to get in.

We should have bought Townsend.

Would have our Center Half's over Cahill and Stones, noting that Stones has huge potential.

Henderson , may be mascot or ball boy, but nowhere near the first team.

Talk about red & white glasses . Henderson would walk into our side , please don't tell neutrals you think he'd only make it as ball boy .

Frasier isn't any better than Hart , if Hart played for us everyone would think he was better , same with Rose over Bertrand . Bag of nails between them , but most neutrals would pick Hart & Rose over our two. I would play Dier ahead of OR every day of the week , Walcott ahead of Redmond & Stones would easily make our side .

The question is which of our non English players would get in the England team . I'd go with VvD & Tadic.

Talk about red & white glasses . Henderson would walk into our side , please don't tell neutrals you think he'd only make it as ball boy .

Frasier isn't any better than Hart , if Hart played for us everyone would think he was better , same with Rose over Bertrand . Bag of nails between them , but most neutrals would pick Hart & Rose over our two. I would play Dier ahead of OR every day of the week , Walcott ahead of Redmond & Stones would easily make our side .

The question is which of our non English players would get in the England team . I'd go with VvD & Tadic.

Indeed. We always think our players are better than most of the Top 6 yet can never finish above them. Guilty myself at times.

Dier is a bit of a strange one. I must just catch his games when he is sh1te. A good player in system that suits more than any outstanding talent IMO. And Romeu is my new favourite. Outstanding against Leicester.

Walker definitely, Sturbridge no way he's too selfish. We could have had atleast 2 last night if he had passed the ball. Rooney no way (never liked the ugly git).

So... just Walker then, the rest were Sh**.

Oh yeah we should have got Townsend he improved the game straight away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hart is better than Forster

Walker better than our RB's

Henderson arguably better than Clasie, Davis and JWP

Dier an upgrade on Romeu, just

Ali is brilliant and would be accommodated

Sturridge imo is a better option (if fit) than Redmond or Long up top.

On last night's performance very few....Stones, Alli, Sturridge

Dier incredibly inconsistent even within that match....Henderson obviously was missing Nivea boy....and I don't mean on the pitch :rolleyes: but wouldn't put him ahead of any of our alternatives.

I wouldn't have Townsend...he only ever looks good in an England shirt because all around him play so badly and he's consistently crap in the PL. Rooney...? Ten years ago maybe!

These things are always a matter of opinion of course but, based on last night's performances, do you really think that Stones is better than VVD or Cahill better than Fonte. In truth there is little in it - Stones has potential but at the moment that is all it is - potential. Re the Fullbacks - probably Walker for right back although a fit Clyne runs him close, but I think that Bertrand has a better all round game than Rose. Sturridge and Walcott were very poor last night. The former was never where he should have been and when he was in the right place he chose the wrong options. Walcott was totally anonymous. I am not sure why you think Dier is a better player than Romeu who is improving rapidly in the Wanyama role. Dier is a good player but i am not remotely convinced he is better that OR. You accuse some posters of wearing R&W specs and over-rating Saints players - true - but I think that you may be guilty of over-rating opposition players. However, Hart, on last night's performance is getting his confidence back and is ahead of Fraser.

Hart

Walker Font VVD Bertrand

Romeu Henderson

Rashford Ali Tadic

Striker I am struggling with since the selected ones were so poor but I am not convinced ours are better

Edited by St_Tel49
addition

These things are always a matter of opinion of course but, based on last night's performances, do you really think that Stones is better than VVD or Cahill better than Fonte. In truth there is little in it - Stones has potential but at the moment that is all it is - potential. Re the Fullbacks - probably Walker for right back although a fit Clyne runs him close, but I think that Bertrand has a better all round game than Rose. Sturridge and Walcott were very poor last night. The former was never where he should have been and when he was in the right place he chose the wrong options. Walcott was totally anonymous. I am not sure why you think Dier is a better player than Romeu who is improving rapidly in the Wanyama role. Dier is a good player but i am not remotely convinced he is better that OR. You accuse some posters of wearing R&W specs and over-rating Saints players - true - but I think that you may be guilty of over-rating opposition players. However, Hart, on last night's performance is getting his confidence back and is ahead of Fraser.

I go with this 100%. On last night's performance the only player I would change is Hart for Forster. England were **** poor and only Hart put in a performance worthy of a Premiership team. We made a very ordinary side look like potential WC finalists.

A lot of them would obviously improve our squad considerably but in terms of going straight into the starting XI, not many of them are shoe-ins.

GK - not much in it.

Walker (and Clyne) are better than our current RBs.

Personally, I prefer Bertrand to Rose.

Centre back - I'd take our two. Obviously Stones has great potential and would be good to have in squad.

Centre mid - a very weak area for England. Not sure I would see any of them as an upgrade to the First XI but would obviously improve the squad to have Henderson, Dier or, for example, a fit Wilshire.

Upfront, Sturridge on his day is obviously better than any of our strikers but he seems like an absolute tool and can't last a full season.

In the wide positions, Tadic is better than anyone who played last night IMO. Probably Boufal is too. The likes of Rashford and Walcott etc. would obviously be great options to have though.

That England team is full of pretty average top-flight players.

Wonder how many pundits would pick Fonte above Stones now? The latter's stock has certainly risen since his move to Man City. Both are prone to the occasional lapse in concentration, so I'd probably take Stones now based on his speed. He's also a better passer of the ball than JF, which would probably help consolidate our new building-from-the-back tactics. Would also take Rashford over Redmond and Long as a better finisher than either.

my god we do over rate our players. VVD IMo is the only player who would get a place in the team with that squad

It depends where you rate England alongside teams like Portugal and Serbia. Portugal are the reigning European champions.

Forster England 6 caps

Cedric Portugal 16

Fonte Portugal 19

van Dijk Netherlands 10

Bertrand England 10

Romeu

Hojbjerg Denmark 21

Davis N. Ireland 90

Tadic Serbia 41

Long Ireland 70

Austin

From last nights first 11 (not based solely on last nights performances) personally I'd go with

------------Forster---------

Walker-Stones-VVD-Bertrand

------------Dier---------------

-------- Alli---Hojbjerg

------------Tadic--------------

-------Austin---Boufal/Walcott--------

Either with Boufal and Tadic switching between left/right/centre and Austin predominately in the middle or 4-3-3 with Walcott right and Tadic left.

Sturridge is great on his day but frustrates me so much when playing for England, far too greedy/bad decision making.

Rose/Bertrand too hard to call but I'll go with the champions league winning saint.

my god we do over rate our players. VVD IMo is the only player who would get a place in the team with that squad

I'd have Tadic, VVD, Bertrand, Forster and, on this season's showing, Romeu as an option certainly. You'd certainly have a job convincing me their counterparts last night were definitely better.

We're talking about a team who scraped a draw with Slovenia.

I certainly don't think Portugal would be European champions if they'd played Stones instead of Fonte.

Don't talk nonsense

You won't find one neutral or one pundit who would pick Jose ahead of Stones . What do you think man c supporters would say had Jose been Peps big summer signing .

This thread reminds me of Wengers " everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife ". quote . Some of it is laughable .

Hart on form (like last night) is better than Forster. In the summer it was the other way around

Walker loses position too easily but still better than than our right backs

Fonte better than Cahill right now... but Stones would walk into our team..

Not huge amounts between Rose/Bertrand (evidenced by this weeks selections)..

I'd take Redmond over Walcott based upon performances this season

Lingard was poor last night, and is a bit hit and miss like Tadic.. but I'd probably take Lingard if they were both on form

Dier was dire last night.. but on form anyone would take over OR

Henderson is awful...and I feel sick thinking of him in a Saints shirt

Ali would walk into most premiership sides...

Sturridge was awful, selfish and his normal self.. and as much as I dislike him... he'd get picked in front of Charlie or Shane..

Just shows what team dynamics can do ....

Don't talk nonsense

You won't find one neutral or one pundit who would pick Jose ahead of Stones . What do you think man c supporters would say had Jose been Peps big summer signing .

This thread reminds me of Wengers " everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife ". quote . Some of it is laughable .

The natural comparison would be Stones v VVD since they play in the same position. Man City bought Stones on his potential and because he is British but, at the moment I would not have him ahead of VVD. TBH I don't care that much about neutrals and Pundits. The latter talk as much ******** as people on here and the former go with what keeps getting repeated on TV.

The natural comparison would be Stones v VVD since they play in the same position. Man City bought Stones on his potential and because he is British but, at the moment I would not have him ahead of VVD. TBH I don't care that much about neutrals and Pundits. The latter talk as much ******** as people on here and the former go with what keeps getting repeated on TV.

I was replying to the poster claiming that had stones been Portuguese they wouldn't have won the Euros , which is clearly biased nonsense .

The thing is, with the whole England set up as it is, it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference who was playing. All of the starting 11 against Slovenia are top performers at their clubs .... put them in an England shirt and your lucky if 1 or 2 of them play anywhere near that level.

It's weak leadership's the problem. Until we appoint a headstrong manager with the courage and guile to take on the media in the battle for hearts and minds, nothing will change.

Someone like Ronald Koeman would turn it around but I can't imagine why he'd want the job .......... a big fat pay cheque might tempt him

Edited by New Forest Steve

Wonder how many pundits would pick Fonte above Stones now? The latter's stock has certainly risen since his move to Man City. Both are prone to the occasional lapse in concentration, so I'd probably take Stones now based on his speed. He's also a better passer of the ball than JF, which would probably help consolidate our new building-from-the-back tactics. Would also take Rashford over Redmond and Long as a better finisher than either.

Ships in the night, the realities of the impact of age on performance. Fonte's started on the slippery slope, not helped by the shirt-pulling directive.

Townsend is about the level of Redmond and no better, but as players regularly come to us and improve it's difficult to say he wouldn't do the same.

Henderson or Dier over Romeu? Not at the moment, but yes for the majority of the past year.

The thing is, with the whole England set up as it is, it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference who was playing. All of the starting 11 against Slovenia are top performers at their clubs .... put them in an England shirt and your lucky if 1 or 2 of them play anywhere near that level.

It's weak leadership's the problem. Until we appoint a headstrong manager with the courage and guile to take on the media in the battle for hearts and minds, nothing will change.

Someone like Ronald Koeman would turn it around but I can't imagine why he'd want the job .......... a big fat pay cheque might tempt him

Personally I put it down to them not trying hard enough due to a lack of national pride, bearing in mind they're also mostly too stupid to play football without explicitly-defined systems nowadays and switching to a system with England seems beyond them. The weird thing about THAT is that they seem to get worse when they DO have time to be made to fit a system, prior to tournaments.

*Disclaimer - not English and the only bit of the last match I've seen was Henderson's pass to the opposing striker.

I was replying to the poster claiming that had stones been Portuguese they wouldn't have won the Euros , which is clearly biased nonsense .

I'm not sure about that. Given the way Portugal played, Fonte was probably more use to them than Stones. He was organising the others, he was focussed, he was disciplined... Stones obviously has more natural ability but if you want to set up to grind out matches and you wan't people who love defending in your team than Fonte is currently a better bet.

Is that true though, really? None of them are the best player at their club - Alli and Kane (if fit) arguably the closest to that.

The current crop of England players is very average. None are as good as any of: Ashley Cole, Sol Campbell, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Gary Nev, Lampard, Scholes, Beckham, Gerrard, Owen, Shearer.... we simply haven't got any players even close to being world class any more. The likes of Robbie Fowler, Kevin Phillips, Les Ferdinand, Ian Wright, Matt Le Tiss, Andy Cole could hardly get a start for England in a big game but all would improve the current squad.

Average players, lacking in intelligence, spirit, mentality and basic human qualities coupled with weak leadership; it's no wonder we've been crap for over 10 years. The thing is, as has been demonstrated numerous times on the international stage, you only need some decent organisation and a coherent game plan to have a decent crack at a tournament so with the resources the FA has available to it, our failure to get the basics right before all the recent tournaments is pretty shameful. We could still do fairly well, despite those players, if the powers that be actually got a hold on things.

Did someone on this thread really say they'd take Jesse Lingard over Dusan Tadic? Even in a bad season Tadic gets you 5 goals and 15 assists! He's effing brilliant. Amazes me how little some of our fans seem to think of him.

It amazes me how little some of our fans think of most of our players except whoever the latest signing is. Their attitude seems to be if they stay at Southampton they can't be any good but they'll tolerate the ones who they think are just passing through. We finished 6th in the Premier League last seaon and could beat any team in the league. The players who remain from that team are really not that bad. In the last 3 years we've had the best set of players in the history of this club, with the possibly exception of the early 1980s yet some of our fans are of the mindest that they are the same calibre as the relegation strugglers of the 90s. Quite a few of the players from this season and the previous 2 would get into an All-Tme Best Saints XI.

I'm not sure about that. Given the way Portugal played, Fonte was probably more use to them than Stones. He was organising the others, he was focussed, he was disciplined... Stones obviously has more natural ability but if you want to set up to grind out matches and you wan't people who love defending in your team than Fonte is currently a better bet.

Fonte organising the Portugal back line? You must be mistaking him for Pepe, who is the unquestioned senior member of the Portugal back four.

Fonte organising the Portugal back line? You must be mistaking him for Pepe, who is the unquestioned senior member of the Portugal back four.

I watched the matches and saw him pointing, talking, encouraging, calming etc. There is no doubt he played an important organisational role, despite Pepe having more caps. Pepe is a loose cannon. Fonte is a calm head.

Err, no, he's not. That is exactly what Fonte was doing in the Euros. Maybe you're the one who's confused?

Of course, of course - the CB who wasn't even a guaranteed starter until halfway through the tournament took over responsibility for organising the back line from the CB who starts every single game when fit...

Of course, of course - the CB who wasn't even a guaranteed starter until halfway through the tournament took over responsibility for organising the back line from the CB who starts every single game when fit...

And the results before and after he was drafted in ?

You seem a bit confused about how football teams work.

Not at all, it's just the question of whether he played well or not has no bearing on the question of whether he took over from Pepe in being the leader of the Portugal back four.

So only one defender is allowed to issue instructions? The average Sunday League pub team has 3 or 4 mouthy gobsh*tes telling people what to do, with a pro team they're probably all barking at each other.

So only one defender is allowed to issue instructions? The average Sunday League pub team has 3 or 4 mouthy gobsh*tes telling people what to do, with a pro team they're probably all barking at each other.

Where did I dispute that Fonte occasionally opened his mouth or waved his hands while on the pitch? All I said is that to make him the primary defensive organiser behind Portugal's victory is moronic bearing in mind who he was playing alongside (especially in the final - Pepe pretty much dragged that team to victory by himself after Ronaldo went off). However, bearing in mind that Steven Davis is now being acclaimed as one of Saints' finest players in forty years of football, this lack of perspective over Fonte is pretty minor.

• 2 weeks later...