Fly past

Master Bates

I'm pretty sure I saw a rehearsal of all of this, bar the Lancaster, one evening roughly two weeks ago. There's no mistaking a Merlin or Griffon engine, when housed in a Spitfire, and I instinctively looked up to see one, plus its Hurricane mate, skimming overhead, well throttled back.

Spooky,i wondered what the reason was for a Hurricane and Spitfire going overhead in Gosport at 11.30 ish.Presume they were getting ready for this later flypast.

Close, but they were actually doing a recce on Nottarf Krap and will be back later with a fully loaded up Lancaster Bomber to finish off the decaying shrine to corruption and fish fondling depravity.

Any leftover bombs will be used for target practice on some floating tin can called Ventura?

Was gutted I couldn't get to go down Netley as I had cricket, but whilst eating tea today the unmistakable noise of those engines were heard and everyone stopped eating and looked up to admire the Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane fly right over the pitch, absolutely quality sight and sound, I love it.

From the Echo :x

"A sea of people descended on Weston shore to get a glimpse of the infamous Spitfire as it flew

across Southampton Water shortly after 4pm today.

Does anyone proof read anymore ? :x

LOL you beat me to it ..... they couldn't get it more wronger if thy tried ;)

We were down just below Itchen Bridge, on the Supermarine factory site. I was just coming out of the pub with a few pints to hand round and I stopped right in the middle of the road and put the drinks down. Everyone looked up. It looked so bloody majestic [and I mean that in the most positive sense] it wasn't true. I tried to imagine hundreds of them in the sky, but it wouldn't form. But strangely, the engine sounds sent the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. I turned to my mate, when they'd finally passed and said... wow, that gets you every time. It certainly got to him - he had tears in his eyes.

Later, we went to a memorial in the New Forest. Just a little one, tucked away off the forest road, somewhere near Linwood. It was essentially put there because of the Canadian forces that were stationed locally before D-Day. I saw a few young smiling faces on photographs, amidst little crosses, poppys and Canadian badges. These were some of the ones who hadn't come back. That did it for me.

In my opinion the plan to have a Spitfire tribute in the city should be reviewed.

Watching the (vid above) silhoutte made me think what an awesome sight it would make at the very bottom of the M3. As impressive, if not moreso, as the Angel of the North. Perhaps on the Chilworth roundabout but that might cause to big a distraction, then again, that is where the City boundary sign is.

Apparently, according to the commentary at the Fairford airshow, they have found a second lancaster to restore to flight in the UK (there is another one in Canada)

Lancaster B X FM213 in Canada is airworthy (Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum)

Lancaster B 1 PA474 "City of Lincoln / Phantom of the Ruhr" in the UK is airworthy (BBMF plane)

Lancaster B VII NX611 "Just Jane" has been taxiable for many years, but because two serviceable Merlins have been found, its going to be restored to airworthy (Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre)

Lancaster Mk 10P FM212 "Bad Penny" is being restored to airworthy in Windsor, Ontario (Canadian Historical Aircraft Association)

Lancaster B X KB976 might be restored to airworthy at Fantasy of Flight, Florida by Kermit Weeks.

So, there might be life in the old girls for a while yet...

What I would like to know is why no Mosquito was preserved for the BBMF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_Avro_Lancasters

Edited by alpine_saint

[What I would like to know is why no Mosquito was preserved for the BBMF.]

Apparently they were going to take delivery of the BAE Mosquito but that was sadly lost in a fatal accident at Barton before that was due to happen :-(

[What I would like to know is why no Mosquito was preserved for the BBMF.]

Apparently they were going to take delivery of the BAE Mosquito but that was sadly lost in a fatal accident at Barton before that was due to happen :-(

Didnt know it was planned for the BBMF.

That crash was tragic. Not only did both crew die, but it has left the world without the sight of a flying mossie for the last 14 years....

I used to go to a school in West Wickham, not far from Biggin Hill. Every year the WW2 planes would fly over the playing field and we would all stop and stare. You couldn't mistake the sound of the Spitfire's engine. I still drive my kids past Biggin Hill every now and again and show them the Spit and Hurricane ouside to remind them that we are here by the grace of those old crates and the bravery of the men who flew them.

• 2 weeks later...

For those living in Winchester.

Three of the most iconic RAF planes of the Second World War are due to take to the skies north of Winchester.

A Lancaster bomber along with two fighters, a Spitfire and Hurricane, are due to perform the flypast on Friday, August 20.

They will be soaring over the Worthy Down Army base north of Winchester, which was an important airfield during the conflict.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8309626.Look_to__the_skies_for_flypast/

Was bumbling down the M3 on Sunday 25th and of course, since everyone knew I was back in Blighty the Red Arrows hopped up and did a fly by for me. Got some good shots out the windscreen at 85mph as well - smoke on and all that. Of course I told the GF that I'd arranged it for her - standard practice for anyone making their first visit to the promised land... Then said I'd arranged for a Spitfire fly by later.

Stone me - we were out for a sightseeing walk around Salisbury when a Spitfir flew over heading west around 4pm ish. It was in tight formation with another plane that looked to be a twin engined King Beech or something taking pics. Was pretty high up but the engine noise....

Any nimby who EVER complains about that noise should simply be shot or deported to Khandahar, end of