Access to my drive - options.

Unbelievable Jeff

Evening all.

So, a quick conundrum I have for you.

I live opposite a masonic hall. They gather 4 or 5 times a week either all evening 6pm to 10pm or all afternoon 12pm to 7pm.

We moved here 18 months ago and since then we have had countless issues with their parking. Our road is very narrow, so when they park on the opposite side of the road over their drive it means we have no access to our drive. Also, when they gather there are so many of them they take up all the parking spaces the length of the road. We have asked them around 15-20 times to stop parking opposite our drive. We have been assured that they will stop, but it keeps on happening. The biggest issue is that the main time this is an issue is when I am bringing my two year old home. I can't leave her in car elsewhere whilst I try to find someone to move the car, and I'm not parking 5 minutes away, getting her out, speaking to them with an unhappy child in tow blah blah. If I can't park in my drive then I have to park on a quick busy road on a corner, which is treacherous for everyone

My question is, what can I do? By parking opposite my drive and blocking my access are they committing a crime? Conversely, if I park opposite their drive so they can't access theirs am I committing a crime.

I am at my wits end and I am going to lose it if it happens too many more times.

Cheers for any help,

Jeff

Next time it happens, politely disturb their meeting and warn them that the offending vehicle has precisely 5mins to move, or else it will be blocked in for the next 5hrs. If they don't move it, park your vehicle in such a way that it blocks that vehicle and as many others in as you can, for a few hours. A taste of their own medicine, unfortunately, is the only way these ignorant types learn their lesson

I'm guessing you drive a big car as the turn into your drive doesn't look that tight to me? Maybe reversing in would help navigate the angles?

We have a 4x4 and an estate, but the issue is that the road is so narrow, we sometimes borrow a Golf and have the same problems. Not enough of a turning circle to reverse in.

Parking across a dropped kerb is illegal, even if you own it. Contact the police/council as it looks to me that they are parking illegally. Of course it they're masons, just knock the door, theres bound to be a chief superintendant or two inside:rolleyes:

Parking across a dropped kerb is illegal, even if you own it. Contact the police/council as it looks to me that they are parking illegally. Of course it they're masons, just knock the door, theres bound to be a chief superintendant or two inside:rolleyes:

Are you absolutely sure about that?

FWIW, I thought you could park across a drop kerb as long as you aren't restricting someones exit.

I don't think there's a huge amount you can do other than ask nicely unfortunately.

If that's your fence you could try taking out the right angle corner and stick a diagonal panel (or half panel) in to give a bit more maneuvering room.

...either that or its a strong blade directly into the top of the sidewall of the tyres

I don't think there's a huge amount you can do other than ask nicely unfortunately.

If that's your fence you could try taking out the right angle corner and stick a diagonal panel (or half panel) in to give a bit more maneuvering room.

...either that or its a strong blade directly into the top of the sidewall of the tyres

********, sounds like he's gone down that route a LOT. Time to start blocking them in, paying some kid to let tyres down, getting mates to park up in the street before they do etc etc. Sound like a bunch of selfish, self-centered prats.

What about just parking in the middle of the road with hazards on? Don't know how busy it is, but as the traffic build up, you can point the irate punters to the lodge, perhaps neglecting to mention it's your car which is blocking the road.

It seems to depend on where you live (obviously). It seems that everywhere in Hampshire except Gosport, (for some reason) is a Special Enforcement Area, so in terms of the 2004 Traffic Management Act it is illegal to park next to a dropped kerb, but you can park next to your own dropped kerb at Residential Premises (I'm assuming the hall opposite isn't Residential Premises) as long as you give yourself permission.

The TMA seems to make these Civil offences, so the police won't be interested. Your Local Authority should be, as long as it is a Special Enforcement Area in terms of the Act, and should ticket anybody parked next to the dropped kerb outside the hall opposite (because it isn't Residential Premises), or any strangers parked next to your dropped kerb, because they haven't got your permission.

i would just slash all their tyres, when the Police turn up say your in the brotherhood and they will do nothing.

That's a bit too blatant.

Just loosen the valves a bit, leave it for a an hour or so, then tighten them back up. They'll come out to flat tyres but no obvious cause.

That was exactly my first thought as well. I know it's not really down to you to rearrange your property to sort this issue out, but if feasible, I would look at removing half the panel and moving the end post which would probably give you more than enough room to manoeuvre in and out. As I say - I don't know what is the other side of the fence - but it looks feasible to me.

That was exactly my first thought as well. I know it's not really down to you to rearrange your property to sort this issue out, but if feasible, I would look at removing half the panel and moving the end post which would probably give you more than enough room to manoeuvre in and out. As I say - I don't know what is the other side of the fence - but it looks feasible to me.

We have a raised flowerbed behind sleepers. I don't feel I should have to do this. The plan is to make it into a double drive in the next year or so, perhaps I just get that sorted earlier.

Freemasons....hmmmm...most of them are likely to be social climbing coppers anyway... Not helpful.

I would imagine your predecessor in the house had the same issue. If so this issue ( a dispute, nuisance, annoyance... as you will) should have been disclosed to you before you purchased the house. If not there has likely been a misrepresentation by seller to buyer.

Taken from the Hampshire council link above :

Access Protection Markings

Access protection markings help to highlight private entrances and prevent their obstruction. The markings, which are only advisory, are white ‘H’ shaped lines painted on the carriageway over the length of the dropped kerbs.

Civil Enforcement Officers employed by district councils (except in Gosport) can issue a penalty to a vehicle parked in front of dropped kerbs. In the case of dropped kerbs in front of driveways, a penalty would only be issued if a complaint is received from the occupant of a property that their access is being blocked. This means residents can still park alongside the dropped kerbs in front of their own driveway.

Why don't you ask the council to do this ? It may even be feasible for them to put double yellow lines on the critical section ?

I guess that they'll quote you all sorts of bye-laws etc.. but if you haven't already asked you have nothing to lose !!

The problem with issues like this is that it is a public road and those attending the Masonic Centre are individual people just like those who might park outside a "corner" shop when parking is at a premium. However the Masonic Centre should try to see what can be done to resolve the nuisance. It is not in Hampshire but I have given the OP an address and telephone number and hopefully some useful information to assist.

Hopefully this matter can be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

We had similar issues as the OP as we live opposite a school, I contacted the council & was told it's not illegal. I believe it to be a breach of The Highway Code, but that is not a criminal offence. As I understand it you cannot block someone in, ie by parking across a drive with a car on it, but if the drive is empty you can park across it. A closed garage should be assumed to be occupied, therefore, parking is not permitted across a drive leading to a closed garage.

I've checked the pictures v.carefully & I could easily get in there! Jeff can't you get ur husband or some other man to help you with parking ur car?

Edit: on related issue I used to have job at Waitrose operating car park barrier, and through monitoring parking habits & applying simple mathematics I calculated that women are 63% less likely to attempt reverse park, and when they do it takes them on average 8-10 minutes longer. This is not mysogonist prejudice, this is science fact!

Edited by Bearsy

Have you been a bit annoying to them when you first had the problem? Eg your attitude when you first mentioned it to them?

if so they may just be teaching you a lesson. If not and they are Masons then you may have a problem. Weston's help may be fruitful

Have you been a bit annoying to them when you first had the problem? Eg your attitude when you first mentioned it to them?

if so they may just be teaching you a lesson. If not and they are Masons then you may have a problem. Weston's help may be fruitful

I want to use Westons help as a last resort as I'd like them to just think about it.

We were very polite about it the first half a dozen times, then I stopped dealing with it as I was getting too passed off and let my other half deal with it. She's very polite.

By the way, notice the two spaces free in their car park yet they still park like dicks on our road.

Yep but of course they would be blocking someone in. I wonder if Weston. Is putting you on the route to clear this up. I don't think you will get anywhere as u are now

Yep but of course they would be blocking someone in. I wonder if Weston. Is putting you on the route to clear this up. I don't think you will get anywhere as u are now

They usually do block each other in, no idea why not tonight.

He has given me the option to yes. I will pursue that option if it continues to be an issue.

It's just stupid.

Update

So today my other half came home with my little girl and again we couldn't access our drive. She was nipping home and then out again, so she parked across their drive (when they're in they never usually leave. One of the old boys came out and had a go at my other half, in front of my 2 year old, threatening that they got police down the other day after I parked opposite their drive and then started "we've got a number of coppers in here" blah blah. He made my other half cry.

I am now on my way home and I am going to go and have a word with them.

Do I call the police and put in a nuisance complaint and hope I don't speak to any mason's?

Weston, I will use your contact details but I get the feeling nothing is going to happen. I am disgusted with them, and if they want a war, they can have a ****ing war.

My other thought was go to the local papers.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff