Markus Liebherr RIP. All tributes here please.

camdijk

I just found out this news this morning and was totally lost for words really. Were it not for this man I might not have a club to love, cherish, detest, or moan about. For that I am forever in his debt. If anyone knows what the illness was can they please let me know so I can make some sort of small contribution towards a relevant charity. The man deserves no less, just wish my contribution could be as meaningful as his to me. Thanks big fella.

I just found out this news this morning and was totally lost for words really. Were it not for this man I might not have a club to love, cherish, detest, or moan about. For that I am forever in his debt. If anyone knows what the illness was can they please let me know so I can make some sort of small contribution towards a relevant charity. The man deserves no less, just wish my contribution could be as meaningful as his to me. Thanks big fella.

Top post bud

Im still shocked and choked up.

Seeing him take pictures of all of us at Wembley put a smile on my face from ear to ear. I was proud to see that we had an owner who was as excited to be there as much as we were. Tin pot trophy or not he became a true saint over night and will always be remembered by us as such.

I only hope we as a team and fans can do his name proud and give his family the success that Saint Markus set out to achieve.

Still remember NC's story about Markus first game at SMS - how he and his family flew in for Ajax not knowing what to expect and returned home late that evening, exhausted but exhilarated. As if to round off what had been such a cathartic day -indeed the mood of an entire summer- his wife found him soundly asleep in his favourite armchair, draped in a new saints scarf, his face beaming with a proud and belonging smile.

Still remember NC's story about Markus first game at SMS - how he and his family flew in for Ajax not knowing what to expect and returned home late that evening, exhausted but exhilarated. As if to round off what had been such a cathartic day -indeed the mood of an entire summer- his wife found him soundly asleep in his favourite armchair, draped in a new saints scarf, his face beaming with a proud, belonging smile.

:o

Markus :(

Markus. Legend of this club in a short time; tragically short.

You saved us when we needed a true Saint and we responded by taking you to Wembley, the home of football.

You rewarded us fans by demonstrating a simple, almost child-like happiness to wear your red scarf and cheer the boys on. We can associate with you at this level - in so many ways "just one of us".

May the Saints in heaven take you to rest and kiss you farewell.

Markus, we will always be grateful for saving the club and giving us our dignity back as fans. We will always associate you with that happy day at Wembley where you looked so delighted and proud. I now hope that the team will be inspired to win League 1 in your honour and that as supporters we will fill SMS for the Orient game to mark the passing of one of our heroes of which you are certainly one. Hopefully everyone can pull together as per the website statement to ensure Markus's vision comes true.

Yesterday was a particularly sad day for English football with the passing of Adam Stansfield as well, by all accounts another enthusiastic and caring family man who loved football. God bless both of you.

RIP Markus....even though you were with saints for a short while...you made a massive impact and your story will be told to the next generation of saints fans...

enjoy a kick about with Ted up there....

in 14 months or so...you have managed where so many have failed...you have joined the holy tinity of Ted Bates, Lawrie Macmenemy and Matt Le Tissier in becoming a saints legend..

thank you

The gratitude of this club and its supporters will resonate for generations - what you have done for the people of Southampton and all the supporters of our wonderful football club has become a lasting legacy we shall never forget. Your name will be sung each time the Saints go marching in..... thank you.

I am deeply saddened to hear the news of your passing and my thoughts and best wishes go out to your family.

RIP Markus.

Still remember NC's story about Markus first game at SMS - how he and his family flew in for Ajax not knowing what to expect and returned home late that evening, exhausted but exhilarated. As if to round off what had been such a cathartic day -indeed the mood of an entire summer- his wife found him soundly asleep in his favourite armchair, draped in a new saints scarf, his face beaming with a proud and belonging smile.

Great story, had nearly forgotten it.

This thread reminds me a bit (although very different I accept) of when Sir Bobby passed away. No-one has a bad word to say about the man. Truly sad new. RIP Markus.

Only heard this an hour ago and was devastated. Can't thank the great man enough for what he has done over the short 13 months since saving us from oblivion. He seemed to genuinely be one of the good guys and we were so lucky he chose our club. This is such a great loss for everyone who knew the man, and thousands of us who did not know him personally but were lifted by his jolly face sat there in the stands sharing the same excitement as we all feel about this club. Such a sad day but we must all ensure his legacy lives on.

He died on Monday night, not Wednesday as first believed. So it is likely Cortese and Pardew knew on the day of the Bournemouth game and possibly the team knew aswell. Helps to explain Pardews post match comments and the huddle after the full time whistle.

so why was MK Dons game cancelled and not the Bournemouth one...

so why was MK Dons game cancelled and not the Bournemouth one...

Too short notice, and I imagine that family and friends needed to be notified on Tuesday before any sort of official announcement was made (which would need to be if the game were to be postponed).

Just back from SMS having been to pay my respects, and was deeply moved by the tributes left there.

I hope that this thread will one day be read by Markus's family, and that it will help them to know that we are sharing their grief at the loss of a wonderful man.

Thank you Markus. RIP.

Markus. Legend of this club in a short time; tragically short.

You saved us when we needed a true Saint and we responded by taking you to Wembley, the home of football.

You rewarded us fans by demonstrating a simple, almost child-like happiness to wear your red scarf and cheer the boys on. We can associate with you at this level - in so many ways "just one of us".

May the Saints in heaven take you to rest and kiss you farewell.

This says it for me too...

You were 'one of us' Markus, RIP to a true Saint and a gentleman.

ahhhh, sad.

he loved his little adventure with us didn't he? he was always beaming with that really genuine, heartwarming smile.

Yes I believe he did. I must admit a silly thing like him holding up the red card to help form the mosaic with the rest of the ground bought a tear to my eye.

RIP Markus.....and thankyou...again.

I like this.....a bit of an artocle talking about the time markus was about to buy the club....

“He was always reading the Daily Echo website, particularly what the fans were saying and what they were writing.

“Every time somebody said something about the Swiss he would underline it.

Every time he saw it he thought a little bit more that he had to act because he was going to please a lot of people.”

I like this.....a bit of an artocle talking about the time after markus bought the club...

I saw that, it was a really nice read.

I hope he can now look down and see how many people he did make happy, I'm sure that's all he really wanted to do.

I just hope that whoever in his family inherits the club, that they continue his project...I really do...

I am sure they will. They also attended games with him, including wembley, so i'm sure they are full aware of his passion and our passion. Saints were a big deal for him and he would have wanted to ensure it would be secure with people he trusts.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/Gallery/0,,10280~2119163,00.html

Gallery updated.

I have to say and by no means am I ashamed to say... the images brought a tear to my eye. :(

You are not alone.

Having just watched both the South Today and ITV local news' tributes, it is very difficult not to be moved.

I do hope his family are made aware of the outpouring of sympathy and grief for this loss and it offers some comfort to them.

RIP,Markus.

Thankyou so very much.

WIFM.

What an honest and unassuming gentleman. He always stayed in the Background and allowed those in the know to get on with their jobs. A model owner in my view. I only hope that Saints fulfil his wishes of getting back in to the Premiership. No better tribute to the man. Marcus Liebherr RIP!

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})