Coldplay at Glastonbury

sadoldgit

U2 are probably The Last Great Rock Band but Coldplay have moved the bar and music has moved on. I have seen them twice and they just don't go through the motions and pose (Bono). They really do give it their all as showed last night. Most of the new stuff sounded good too. How many band would finish their encore with a brand new song?

Cant stand them, Chris Martin is a cock who takes himself far too seriously and i find their music very mainstream and bland. It's no surprise so many on here will like them.

I guess you never saw him parodying himself on Extras with Ricky Gervais then.

Agree about the last bit though - very dull, uninspiring, middle-class, dinner party music. My mate joked that with them and U2 on the lineup this year, they should have renamed the mainstage as the 'Music On Hold' stage

i turned over to bbc3 and watched Chemical Brothers half way through, as i found it a bit dull. could hardly hear Chris Martin most of the time

Chemical Bros were outstanding. I've seen them a couple of times live and they're just amazing.

I detect a bit of inter band rivalry here.;)

hardy har. I just plain "dont like" Chris Martin. I think he's a ****ing self-opinionated bono-wannabe toss pot.

/que kettle, black, takes one to....

hardy har. I just plain "dont like" Chris Martin. I think he's a ****ing self-opinionated bono-wannabe toss pot.

Isn't that true of most musicians? And before anyone asks, yes I used to be in a band years ago. Had some good days but my overriding memories were of how pretentious most of the othere musicians around me were.

All the anti U2 and Coldplay stuff makes me smile, people get so aggressive over what is basically peoples own personal taste. Music is a very personal, initimate thing between you the listener and the music/artist. I couldn't give a stuff whether anyone else likes what I'm listening to.

I am a U2 fan (using the term loosely) by the way. Yes, I find Bono pretentious and cringeworthy especially when watching live performances but I love much of their music. With the exeception of Pop I've always found 3 or 4 songs on each album that I thoroughly enjoy. Coldplay on the other hand do nothing for me, I've nothing against them but their music just does not do it for me.

Coldplay bore me to tears. It really does illustrate to me how small minded some radio DJs/music reporters are when they describe some of their basic commercial guitar/piano riffs as "mind blowing"

Not a big fan of U2 but I can listen to them. I can see why their popular.

Coldplay bore me to tears. It really does illustrate to me how small minded some radio DJs/music reporters are when they describe some of their basic commercial guitar/piano riffs as "mind blowing"

Not a big fan of U2 but I can listen to them. I can see why their popular.

Why is it small minded to like a particular band? Music is a personal choice. My mrs likes take that but I think they're crap. She's not small minded for liking them though.

35 million album sales, 6 Brits, 7 Grammys, 4 MTV Music awards and a Mercury Music prize suggests there are an awful lot of people with a different view to you. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

35 million album sales, 6 Brits, 7 Grammys, 4 MTV Music awards and a Mercury Music prize suggests there are an awful lot of people with a different view to you. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I would immediately discount them as they are awarded by the industry and do not relate to actual public opinion, especially the Brit. I mean, this is the awards council that once gave best British dance act to the f***ing Sugababes for crying out loud. Awards like this mean absolutely nothing and only serve to inflate the egos of those receiving them.

But you're right in that the beauty of music is that there is something for everyone. If we all had exactly the same tastes then imagine how bland and boring the world would be.

Why is it small minded to like a particular band? Music is a personal choice. My mrs likes take that but I think they're crap. She's not small minded for liking them though.

I didn't say it was small minded to like them or any band. What I said was, it was small minded for so called "musical experts" to brand fairly basic piano/guitar chords/riffs as "mind-blowing" just because their done by a famous band that a lot of people have heard of.

If people like them that's up to them, but their not to my taste and never have been but I can see especially in these current times why people like them. Coldplay are one of the last mainstream bands around which is something to be heralded. Now that pop music is nothing more than a conveyor belt of physically attractive youngsters that attempt to sing and dance whilst blagging a living by producing pitch corrected recordings in fashionable clothes, Coldplay are almost to the point of being 'refreshing' as what they produce can be called 'music'.

That's because they produced commercial radio friendly music, broke through just at the right time to establish their brand with a deluge of PR. Like I say I see why people liked them and still do like them but their not to my personal taste.

If they were breaking through right now they wouldn't stand a chance in terms of any widespread success. Like all bands their now only living off their reputation in a world where music isn't bought down to quality or standard of music, it's bought because it's what Simon Cowell tells people to buy.

The radio DJs/music experts have moved on and the "mind-blowing" music is now being produced by the kiddie-pop brats like Justin Bieber and the 30-40 other clones producing "hip-hop" with the sole purpose of enriching the wealth of the select few by making mediocrity look pleasing and fashionable to the wider public's eye.

Edited by JackFrost

I would immediately discount them as they are awarded by the industry and do not relate to actual public opinion.

I don't think they just give them away. An act might fluke a good year, but come on it's a pretty impressive portfolio. To just dismiss them is a tad haughty.

That's because they produced commercial radio friendly music, broke through just at the right time to establish their brand with a deluge of PR. Like I say I see why people liked them and still do like them but their not to my personal taste.

If they were breaking through right now they wouldn't stand a chance in terms of any widespread success. Like all bands their now only living off their reputation in a world where music isn't bought down to quality or standard of music, it's bought because it's what Simon Cowell tells people to buy.

The radio DJs/music experts have moved on and the "mind-blowing" music is now being produced by the kiddie-pop brats like Justin Bieber and the 30-40 other clones producing "hip-hop" with the sole purpose of enriching the wealth of the select few by making mediocrity look pleasing and fashionable to the wider public's eye.

Just lucky then. I suggest a takes a bit more than luck to get to the top of a Global Market and stay there.

I've no idea why I find myself fighting the Coldplay corner, they hardly need my help.

Tis true, as my mate put it, "as Bono and Chris Martin are at Glastonbury, who is looking after Africa?"

There must be a lot of bland middles class main stream c*nts out there having a hell of a lot of dinner parties then.

I guess you never saw him parodying himself on Extras with Ricky Gervais then.

Agree about the last bit though - very dull, uninspiring, middle-class, dinner party music. My mate joked that with them and U2 on the lineup this year, they should have renamed the mainstage as the 'Music On Hold' stage

I did and he was mildy amusing i suppose, but that is just about the only thing, other than throwing one into Gwenths gash on a regular basis, that he has done which has impressed me. (although the fact that she has been taited by him ruins any chance she may have had of pulling me)

Do you really think that is the case? People buy what they like. If something is "out there" it will get heard and if people like it they wil buy it. I don'tt hink anyone is stupid enough to buy a record just because Cowell likes it. Biffy Clyro probably won't be complaining that their bank balance swelled becasue their track got a lot of extra exposure due to X Factor. That is not down to Cowell though, it is down to the fact that the track got enormous exposure. And people liked it.

I saw mumford & sons at Glastobury (nothing to do with Cowell) liked their music and bought their CD. Apparently loads of people went into my HMV yesterday after their CD. That is the way it works. You hear something you like, you buy it. There a loads of people like Cowell who make decsions about what gets exposure.

coldplay are boring in a genuinely epic way.

They are everything that is wrong with rock and roll.

hope the go! team get shown...they were ace a couple of years ago.

In your opinion. So what. A lot of people seemed to like their show and have a completely different view to you. You don't have to listen to them or watch them. I am sure there are people out there who will think the music you like is everything that is wrong with rock and roll too.

Personally I like them and thought they put on a great show. I just don't understand why people have to p*ss on other people's taste. Trust me, it doesn't make you a better person.

This

I nearly skirted over this without a second thought but f*ck me, we finally agree on something!! I always knew we had the pontential to be good mates. I've just found you and added you on facebook and wondered if you wanted to start hanging out together. You could bring your guitar round and we could strum along to Kasbian tunes with gay abandon and i'll sign up to your club and we an go ghost hunting together, no trying to trap me in dingy rooms and try your luck though you naughty boy!! Now where do i sign up for it?

I nearly skirted over this without a second thought but f*ck me, we finally agree on something!! I always knew we had the pontential to be good mates. I've just found you and added you on facebook and wondered if you wanted to start hanging out together. You could bring your guitar round and we could strum along to Kasbian tunes with gay abandon and i'll sign up to your club and we an go ghost hunting together, no trying to trap me in dingy rooms and try your luck though you naughty boy!! Now where do i sign up for it?

lol

Cant stand them, Chris Martin is a cock who takes himself far too seriously and i find their music very mainstream and bland. It's no surprise so many on here will like them.

there is nothing mainstream or bland about them! compared to some of the ****e thats about these days they are streets above, oh and at least you can understand the words and its not filled with "ah ha yeah brap" every other word

there is nothing mainstream or bland about them! compared to some of the ****e thats about these days they are streets above, oh and at least you can understand the words and its not filled with "ah ha yeah brap" every other word

Do you like Friends and find Micheal Mcintyre funny?

coldplay are boring in a genuinely epic way.

They are everything that is wrong with rock and roll.

hope the go! team get shown...they were ace a couple of years ago.

Go! Team - please. Famous because of their videos. Music is ****e.

Not a massive fan of Coldplay but anyone who argues their performance was trumped by anything else on the Pyramid this year is just simply wrong. Viva La Vida was awe inspiring.

Go! Team - please. Famous because of their videos. Music is ****e.

Not a massive fan of Coldplay but anyone who argues their performance was trumped by anything else on the Pyramid this year is just simply wrong. Viva La Vida was awe inspiring.

agree with that..not really a cold play fan myself..a few of their songs are ok...but Viva la vida was a sensational performance