Spin Master Reed

Batman

We have no debt - is that accurate?

To the best of my knowledge it is.

I'm hanging onto the principle that they are trying to run the club as a business that doesn't spend more than it earns. So, if we sell a player for 10 million, we buy for 7 million and the other 3 million is put aside to pay his wages for the 3 years.

This makes sense to me and stops me jumping on the 'we've sold 100 million of players but only spent 60 million' bandwagon.

That said...this summer we needed to sign a striker and a centre back.

Regarding Striker: Puel (who had only been at the club for a month-ish when transfer window closed) thought we had enough firepower with Long, Austin, Redmond and J Rod. I admired this decision because it should have been a confidence boost to those 4 and surely one of them can score 20 goals....! Except I think we all knew they wouldn't but I'm not sure which one we should have sold (Probably long but we gave him a new contract because he had half a dozen decent games at the back end of the season).

Now with Austin injured and everyone else not really scoring, we've had to buy a striker who on the face of it has a similar 1 in 3 or 4 goal record. Not great. But I hope he does well.

Defender

We needed to buy in the summer. Fonte had made a couple of nasty errors of judgement in last couple of seasons and clearly having 2 very good centrebacks (or 3 if you include yoshida) is not enough because we need competition in all areas....which means we need 4 good centre backs. So, we needed to buy in the summer and we didn't and I dont understand why not. Most things the club does make sense to me....but not that one.

Then we sell Fonte. I understand why. But we dont then go and buy 2 centre backs. We dont even buy one. We dont even get one on loan.

We are relying on Yoshida who I actually like, but up until 3 games ago he was viewed as a competent back-up who averages 1 mistake per game. Stephens, who could be amazing....but he has only played about 3 games at top class level. Gardos - The jury was out on him 2 years ago when he was last fit. Surely he cant be relied upon until next season as he will need that to get match fit and up to speed (See J Rod for example). Van Dijk - Sounds like he is gonna be out for weeks to come and will then need time to come back and get match fit.

So we've got one established centre back when we should have 4.

And we didn't even get one on loan.

I'm baffled. I think Saints messed up and we are gonna have to show some serious spirit to move up and not down that table now...

I'll be cheering us on but....we really shouldn't be in this situation.

I'm hanging onto the principle that they are trying to run the club as a business that doesn't spend more than it earns. So, if we sell a player for 10 million, we buy for 7 million and the other 3 million is put aside to pay his wages for the 3 years.

This makes sense to me and stops me jumping on the 'we've sold 100 million of players but only spent 60 million' bandwagon.

Regarding Striker: Puel (who had only been at the club for a month-ish when transfer window closed) thought we had enough firepower with Long, Austin, Redmond and J Rod. I admired this decision because it should have been a confidence boost to those 4 and surely one of them can score 20 goals....! Except I think we all knew they wouldn't but I'm not sure which one we should have sold (Probably long but we gave him a new contract because he had half a dozen decent games at the back end of the season).

Now with Austin injured and everyone else not really scoring, we've had to buy a striker who on the face of it has a similar 1 in 3 or 4 goal record. Not great. But I hope he does well.

Defender

We needed to buy in the summer. Fonte had made a couple of nasty errors of judgement in last couple of seasons and clearly having 2 very good centrebacks (or 3 if you include yoshida) is not enough because we need competition in all areas....which means we need 4 good centre backs. So, we needed to buy in the summer and we didn't and I dont understand why not. Most things the club does make sense to me....but not that one.

Then we sell Fonte. I understand why. But we dont then go and buy 2 centre backs. We dont even buy one. We dont even get one on loan.

We are relying on Yoshida who I actually like, but up until 3 games ago he was viewed as a competent back-up who averages 1 mistake per game. Stephens, who could be amazing....but he has only played about 3 games at top class level. Gardos - The jury was out on him 2 years ago when he was last fit. Surely he cant be relied upon until next season as he will need that to get match fit and up to speed (See J Rod for example). Van Dijk - Sounds like he is gonna be out for weeks to come and will then need time to come back and get match fit.

I'm baffled. I think Saints messed up and we are gonna have to show some serious spirit to move up and not down that table now...

Great post and exactly my thoughts, when VVD goes in the summer we will need 2 good centre backs - this window was an ideal opportunity to bring in one to blood in -to be left with begging Swansea to loan us a poor one is an absolute joke.

I have felt since the summer its been one cluster fck after another:

Shirt is awful

Manager uninspiring and only good if you have a good academy to back up - we dont look at the results!!

Turning away Pellegrini

Player purchases in summer a striker short

Eric Black with his record....

Stuart Taylor....why?

Not getting out of the poor Europa group with some abject displays and tactics

Changing a winning set up tactically from 4-2-3-1 to a diamond and then rigid 4-3-3

Some of the most putrid, boring football I have seen at SMS

Fonte debacle

Having to have fingers crossed your 3 and 4th choice centre backs don't get injured in your first final for 38 years!!

Reeds bull**** PR....forwards are firing.....

FA Cup joke

Don't get me started on that bloody awful song its cringeing!

The one plus was Liverpool home and away.....excellent but 5 losses in 6 have me concerned and looking down.

Of course I will renew my ST but its rubbish at the moment

Edited by Give it to Ron
worse than thought

But don't we also save the wages of the player we've sold? Plus, the money the club earns is not limited to transfer fees, Premier League clubs also earn a shedload of TV Revenue nowadays.

I'm also happy with the general principle of not spending more than we earn btw, just think that this way of looking at it means there will be more and more leftover.

Defender

Stonkingly good post

Shirt is awful

Manager uninspiring and only good if you have a good academy to back up - we dont look at the results!!

Turning away Pellegrini

Player purchases in summer a striker short

Eric Black with his record....

Stuart Taylor....why?

Not getting out of the poor Europa group with some abject displays and tactics

Changing a winning set up tactically from 4-2-3-1 to a diamond and then rigid 4-3-3

Some of the most putrid, boring football I have seen at SMS

Fonte debacle

Having to have fingers crossed your 3 and 4th choice centre backs don't get injured in your first final for 38 years!!

Reeds bull**** PR....forwards are firing.....

FA Cup joke

Don't get me started on that bloody awful song its cringeing!

WELL, I actually like the shirt :D

Yes good post Sifter.

Only problem is that if our business model really does rely on us selling players for 20-30m each year then we are not sustainable.

We are fast running out of these types of players.

PLUS you need to consider that its not like 1995 anymore, clubs dont need to sell constantly to survive.

Other income is far higher than it was and we could use some of the huge other revenue we receive to pay wages?

If everything revolves around transfers what do we do with the other £150-200 million we recieve each season?

How have Palace (for example) spend millions in the summer and again this January? They aren't selling 3-4 of there best players each year. They have a smaller stadium, smaller income in all areas. How do they manage while we cant?

Yes good post Sifter.

Only problem is that if our business model really does rely on us selling players for 20-30m each year then we are not sustainable.

PLUS you need to consider that its not like 1995 anymore, clubs dont need to sell constantly to survive.

Other income is far higher than it was and we could use some of the huge other revenue we receive to pay wages?

If everything revolves around transfers what do we do with the other £150-200 million we recieve each season?

How have Palace (for example) spend millions in the summer and again this January? They aren't selling 3-4 of there best players each year. They have a smaller stadium, smaller income in all areas. How do they manage while we cant?

perhaps theirs isnt a sustainable model ?

just think that this way of looking at it means there will be more and more leftover.

Fair point. It is simplistic and maybe the family are making a bit of a profit but I think the vast majority of 'profit' is being ploughed back into the club.

Yes good post Sifter.

The cupboard is looking pretty bare in that respect. We have Vvd of course then maybe Romeu and possibly Boufal if he meets the heights it's been indicated he might. After that I don't see any players that are going to be attracting the attention of the top 6 teams. The academy conveyor belt has run pretty dry as well.

But who's to say that with further investment from the Chinese or elsewhere then we might move away from the 'self-sustaining' model in the future.

Perhaps our's isn't either, but for different reasons...

Spend too much, end up in the **** financially. / Don't invest, fail to compete with your rivals. Risk relegation and potentially end up in the **** financially. Just a thought.

Ultimately, running any business is a balancing act. However, I get the impression that there's some people taking out as much as they can as quickly as possible. I'm beginning to think that the 5 year plan was to get rich quickly. If so, they're doing a very good job.

Perhaps our's isn't either, but for different reasons...

Spend too much, end up in the **** financially. / Don't invest, fail to compete with your rivals. Risk relegation and potentially end up in the **** financially. Just a thought.

Dont forget the next generation of fans. What appeal do we have to kids aged 4-10 just picking a team for life?

Unless your dad is pushing Saints why would you support us? Mid table, boring football, sell favourite players each summer..... The sell, sell, sell approach has long and short term implications.

Doubt Kat will be here in 10-20 years though so why should she care?

Dont forget the next generation of fans. What appeal do we have to kids aged 4-10 just picking a team for life?

Unless your dad is pushing Saints why would you support us? Mid table, boring football, sell favourite players each summer..... The sell, sell, sell approach has long and short term implications.

This is something I have felt and voiced. I do understand the other side of the coin though, we dont want to go down the Pompey route (although they do have another trophy to brag about)

Our fanbase has been brainwashed to be happy to be also rans, although I do see there is a little more agitation and frustration with the clubs policy from the younger fans. When I was at school it seemed to me I was one of a very few who supported Saints and had to put up with the plastic fans of other clubs who were successful in the day, notibly Liverpool and Man Utd

Perhaps if we are to be the fans who watch the acadamy players etc brought here to play to ready for sale, perhaps the club should charge ticket prices like they did for the Arsenal game.

Ultimately, running any business is a balancing act. However, I get the impression that there's some people taking out as much as they can as quickly as possible. I'm beginning to think that the 5 year plan was to get rich quickly. If so, they're doing a very good job.

No one is taking money out of the club.

Unfortunately in order for Les to get Cortese job, he needed to prove we were spending too much (unsustainable), he could steady the ship (financially) and that we could thrive being a self sustainable club.

Up until now we have through good recruitment both managers and in the playing squad, we've also been lucky to have 'a golden generation' of youth talent come through (from what I've heard there's not a great deal left in any of the youth squads). However as I have always said, this is a very high risk strategy and it only takes 2 or 3 bad windows and we'll be well and truly ****ed (next summer is so important to us)!

In fairness to Les / Kat we have spent money, it's just that we've made more.

Realistically, Kat has no interest in football and it's most likely only the emotional attachment to her father that has kept her here. You can't really blame her for not wanting to invest millions into something she has no passion about.

I did pose the question if Kat should sell shortly after our EL campaign and was shot down for it. I appreciate everything she has done for the club (she could have easily sold straight away to any tom d!ck or harry), but whilst she is at the club we're never going to go all out on a player (wages / transfer fee) to push us to the next level.

Yeah I agree, I doubt we will have any fans at all in ten years time. We will be playing in an empty SMS, which will be the first stadium to undergo construction to reduce capacity.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Our fanbase has been brainwashed to be happy to be also rans, although I do see there is a little more agitation and frustration with the clubs policy from the younger fans.

You're constantly saying variations on this idea but never actually expand on what you're talking about.

Do you think you could give us an example of a football club fanbase that haven't been "brainwashed" and how that not being brainwashed manifests itself in their collective behaviour/approach. What do non-brainwashed fans do, exactly?

Any neutral would laugh at this thread. Fans of the umpteen badly run English clubs would cry. Some of you have no idea how lucky you are to follow a stable and successful club.

with the turnover of players/staff/managers/anyone and about to be virtually sold.....stable???

Any neutral would laugh at this thread. Fans of the umpteen badly run English clubs would cry. Some of you have no idea how lucky you are to follow a stable and successful club.

Depends if you call being successful staying in the premier, ok we were in Europa but look how that went. We're in the league cup final, with our 3rd choice centre back and an under 23s centre back.

We may be stable, but I personally think not even getting a centre back in on loan is a big mistake we could pay for, there's always a club which freefalls down the league let's hope it's not us. Let's see how stable things are if we get relegated.

The thing is if us idiots could see we needed one why couldn't Les, if, as I suspect he did, then why didn't we get one, maybe the black box was set to 2012 prices. Personally I suspect he was going for Sahko, thought he'd try and call liverpool's bluff by waiting till the end of the window but then palace step in and we've fooked it up, maybe we got in touch with liverpool and they just rebuffed us for ****ing about.

Now we're in the situation where I can see us letting in at least one goal a game until VVD is back, if that's the end of the season then we're in trouble as we can't seem to score at the other end, what a recipe for disaster. Our season and premier league survival is dependent on if VVD gets back to fitness and if this new Italian fella can find the net.

You always hear pundits talking about 2 things that can get teams relegated, either a leaky defence or a lack of goals, just need manager loses dressing room for a full house.

For a stable and well run club this looks like complete and utter amateur hour to me.

That's part of the frustration though. Yes we are generally well run - heaven knows the club put out enough statements to convince us of it - but they've dropped a clanger here, and it's not the first time in recent memory. IF the club is as well run as it makes out, then they wouldn't be scrambling around in the dying hours of 31 January trying to get a deal sorted for Jordi Amat.

That's part of the frustration though. Yes we are generally well run - heaven knows the club put out enough statements to convince us of it - but they've dropped a clanger here, and it's not the first time in recent memory. IF the club is as well run as it makes out, then they wouldn't be scrambling around in the dying hours of 31 January trying to get a deal sorted for Jordi Amat.

Here's the thing, though. This centre back episode is unlike us. It's unusual. We don't normally scramble on deadline day, we sign players in good time and our success rate is very high.

So yeah, I suppose you could say that makes it more frustrating. But it doesn't even begin to justify the whiny, entitled nonsense we're hearing at the moment.

If and I mean if we get relegated, we should be in good shape financially and with the academy to come back up and not do a QPR. We could do another rebuilding job and once we get to the Premier League sell our best players over the course of three or four years and start the process again. Sustainable does not mean that dropping out of the premier league is a disaster.

Here's the thing, though. This centre back episode is unlike us. It's unusual. We don't normally scramble on deadline day, we sign players in good time and our success rate is very high.

So yeah, I suppose you could say that makes it more frustrating. But it doesn't even begin to justify the whiny, entitled nonsense we're hearing at the moment.

Alderweireld was a centre back, that episode was a fiasco too. For the last couple of seasons the overriding feeling of our transfer business is that we have failed to do enough rather than failing to find the right players (although there is that a little too). It feels like the couple of seasons that we did exceptionally well has given Reed false confidence that he can do no wrong, as well as the hugely optimistic view that we can just rely on our academy players instead of improving the squad.

It's frustrating because we're not that far off being decent, certainly for cementing our place as the 'best of the rest', but instead we are treading water or even slowly declining. There have been positives this season of course, but there's definitely a sense of the board resting on our laurels too.

It feels like the couple of seasons that we did exceptionally well has given Reed false confidence that he can do no wrong

Do you have any evidence for that whatsoever? I don't get where this theory comes from.

Of course this season has been disappointing, notwithstanding the final which could (let's remember) make it one of the greatest in our history. Of course we need to do better. But Reed and the club know that and will be working on solutions. If those solutions don't work - and we do badly next year, the year after - then they'll deserve criticism.

The bile they're getting now, when they've delivered some of the most remarkable years this club has ever seen, is utterly bonkers.

Do you have any evidence for that whatsoever? I don't get where this theory comes from.

Of course this season has been disappointing, notwithstanding the final which could (let's remember) make it one of the greatest in our history. Of course we need to do better. But Reed and the club know that and will be working on solutions. If those solutions don't work - and we do badly next year, the year after - then they'll deserve criticism.

The bile they're getting now, when they've delivered some of the most remarkable years this club has ever seen, is utterly bonkers.

What is the difference between reactive and proactive?

A proactive approach focuses on eliminating problems before they have a chance to appear and a reactive approach is based on responding to events after they have happened. The difference between these two approaches is the perspective each one provides in assessing actions and events.

Unless your dad is pushing Saints why would you support us? Mid table, boring football, sell favourite players each summer.....

youngsters will support their local club, with or without Dad pushing them, just as they always have done? Glamour games against Inter Milan and a cup final seem like the perfect way of attracting fans, but if not has it been any different in the past?

I said "It feels like" because it's how it seems to me. How would I have 'evidence' of someone having a personality trait?

The success we have had over the past few years is the reason why I have generally been part of the 'happy clapper' brigade, if there were only two such camps allowed on here. I'm also on the side of Puel being given a better chance and having time to improve our style of play and results - which is part of the reason I am unhappy with the board, as it would good to know whether Puel is good enough, and without the players at his disposal we'll never really know. I have laughed at people who have said things like "the semi final good work undone because of the Arsenal result". I don't even have a gripe with us selling our best players all the time because I understand that is our business model, even if it does make me feel a bit dejected after a while!

But, most of us have seen for a long time what areas of the squad has needed to improve. Another striker, someone to replace Fonte when he gets too old, and someone who can make runs/score goals from central midfield. This has been the case since the summer (or longer) and yet we've waited until the last day of January to deal with the first point, the second point became even more pressing once Fonte threw a hissy fit in the summer and we still didn't address it, and still haven't done anything about the fourth. We have seen encouraging signs from the academy players, and there are still some players that we need to wait a bit longer to see how they pan out, but surely it's fair to question the board when they have failed to address the areas that virtually every supporter can see need addressing?

If people want to defend the board and say they're not unhappy with them, or they have earned goodwill etc, that's fine, but at the same time I don't think people criticising them are way out of line either.

Wonder when the next self congratulating video will be out.

the more he gets his hands on the controls, the more we are paying for it

got lucky with ronald

On the basis that we line up targets 2 years in advance.... Wouldn't Koeman have been on the list prior to Santa clueless taking the reins?

I said "It feels like" because it's how it seems to me. How would I have 'evidence' of someone having a personality trait?

The success we have had over the past few years is the reason why I have generally been part of the 'happy clapper' brigade, if there were only two such camps allowed on here. I'm also on the side of Puel being given a better chance and having time to improve our style of play and results - which is part of the reason I am unhappy with the board, as it would good to know whether Puel is good enough, and without the players at his disposal we'll never really know. I have laughed at people who have said things like "the semi final good work undone because of the Arsenal result". I don't even have a gripe with us selling our best players all the time because I understand that is our business model, even if it does make me feel a bit dejected after a while!

But, most of us have seen for a long time what areas of the squad has needed to improve. Another striker, someone to replace Fonte when he gets too old, and someone who can make runs/score goals from central midfield. This has been the case since the summer (or longer) and yet we've waited until the last day of January to deal with the first point, the second point became even more pressing once Fonte threw a hissy fit in the summer and we still didn't address it, and still haven't done anything about the fourth. We have seen encouraging signs from the academy players, and there are still some players that we need to wait a bit longer to see how they pan out, but surely it's fair to question the board when they have failed to address the areas that virtually every supporter can see need addressing?

If people want to defend the board and say they're not unhappy with them, or they have earned goodwill etc, that's fine, but at the same time I don't think people criticising them are way out of line either.

Well said. What I want to know from those defending the club, is how far do we have to go backwards before the previous good work of the last 7 years becomes irrelevant. In my opinion the success and journey of the last 7 years has run out this season, we have sold too many players this time around without replacing them and we have gone from a team that plays attractive, entertaining football to one that's plays drab and boring football. Yes Puel may have been unlucky in terms of our ability to convert chances, however he is he coach a needed to address this on the training field or in the transfer market. Now that our defence has been considerably weakened it has put more pressure on and highlighted our inadequacies in front of goal. Gab may help with this but is a gamble when looking at his scoring record, and he will have to score 2/3 a game just to get a result!

To me it would be better if everyone including Reed was honest and didn't constantly feed us clear BS or always trying to make the want away players look like the bad guys! Just part amicably. If your not able or prepared to match their ambitions or financial demands, just accept this and get the best deal for the club and go your separate ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also that video of Boufal after the Swansea game sums up what the club think of our fan base. Do they really think we will buy that as a positive in he middle of our current league form? Yes he may be skilful but unless that relates to goals then it is pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk