Lawrie McMenemy

Matthew Le Tissier

Signed. LM seems to divide opinion somewhat and I think the main reason for that is the Sunderland episode (correct me if i'm wrong). It was a bit before my time.

His work at the club is unmatched and he has always done a lot in the community. I find his lack of involvement at the club very odd.

Strange one this. Obviously one of the best managers ever at the club but highly critical at times we could have used his support. I know, RL had a lot to do with that so I'll cut him some slack. He's a decent guy and done a lot for the local community. I just don't want to see SMS surrounded by statues. Every club should have one and only one.

I think most of us were p*ssed at him walking out at the time but looking back a few years on you could understand why. He was let down with failed promises, the long-awaited stadium on the Pirelli site disappeared with little more than a whimper - he understandably probably realised he had taken this club as far as he could. We didn’t match his ambition, so what’s new?

He had the chance to return home to the North East, just surprising it was to his beloved Newcastle’s rivals. Doomed from the start.

He’s done more good for Southampton than bad, naming a suite or similar after him in recognition would suffice imo.

He was an early defector, left us for Sundrland and became the highest paid manager in Uk, got them relegated and found it more comfortable back here.

Oh cone on, he had been here for 12 years, there wasn’t much more he could realistically achieve, especially given the board’s unwillingness to spend big - wow, that sounds familiar - it’s not like he ran away at the first opportunity, far from it in fact.

Oh cone on, he had been here for 12 years, there wasn’t much more he could realistically achieve, especially given the board’s unwillingness to spend big - wow, that sounds familiar - it’s not like he ran away at the first opportunity, far from it in fact.

This exactly. We have few enough heros as it is. LM won us our only ever trophy. And established us as a top flight club when doing so was done by clever coaching and guile rather than relying on a foreign owner laundering money. I dont begrudge him moving on, fir me he always will be a Saints legend.

This exactly. We have few enough heros as it is. LM won us our only ever trophy. And established us as a top flight club when doing so was done by clever coaching and guile rather than relying on a foreign owner laundering money. I dont begrudge him moving on, fir me he always will be a Saints legend.

Absolutely this. Been privileged to spend time with Laurie - he’s a really great man who has Saints written through the middle of him. He deserves to be revered as much as Ted Bates in my opinion.

Not only was he successful, but the way we played the players he signed, & the nippers he played , gave me the greatest years of my football life. I’ve never given a flying fig, that he left, couldn’t care less whether he had his hand in the till, and don’t particularly care what anyone else thinks. He could have shot bambi for all I care, those years gave him a free pass from me. He’s a ****ing legend. End of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not only was he successful, but the way we played the players he signed, & the nippers he played , gave me the greatest years of my football life. I’ve never given a flying fig, that he left, couldn’t care less whether he had his hand in the till, and don’t particularly care what anyone else thinks. He could have shot bambi for all I care, those years gave him a free pass from me. He’s a ****ing legend. End of.

Couldnt agree more we live in a ridiculous age where people go out of their way to find reasons for themselves or others to be offended

Lawrie Mac made Southampton in the 70 he played good football with relatively meagre resources and he got some of the best to join Saints who can ever forget us signing Keegan Peter Osgood Alan Ball Charlie George Frank Worthington Dave Watson etc.

Getting Keegan then was like getting Messi today unbelievable for Saints!

He also goot the best out of the yourh such as Moran Williams Holmes Baker Gilchrist and Stokes

To those at the Dell in the 70s Lawrie is always a legend!

Here here well said ,your right we had some really great players who could play the game well back in those days,non of,but this namby pamby dire shyte we have got at this club right now,but proper players, and it was a harder game back then,

players were actually encouraged to tackle and not to swarm around and try and nick the ball only to see the oposition rolling around the floor because thier sock got a grass stain on it.

Anyone remember that tackle in the 80s Razer Ruddock and Stuart Pearce?...right in front of the dug out 50/50 no questions asked ....now adays var would have intervened and one or both would have been sent off im sure ,anyways i digress getting old

just putting some thoughts down for prosperity whatever.

100% this, even managed to shoehorn his name into one of my daughters middle names , albeit with a bit of poetic licence , without the missus noticing !!!

I started out with Ted Bates and then The Big Man, so I was spoiled in my early years of supporting the club. Without a doubt, they are both club legends. I do think you can overdue the statue thing and would leave it at Ted. It would be good to do something for Lawrie Mac though.

I started out with Ted Bates and then The Big Man, so I was spoiled in my early years of supporting the club. Without a doubt, they are both club legends. I do think you can overdue the statue thing and would leave it at Ted. It would be good to do something for Lawrie Mac though.

This. Not sure that we need another statue, but we should recognise Lawrie's achievements. He is 83 now, so it would be good to do something while he is still in reasonable health.

Where would you draw the boundary on statues? Terry Paine, one club for 800 games, took us through all the leagues, we can make a good case for him, Mick Channon our record goalscorer, and of course Le God. We have one statue. Ted, from boot boy to President and every spot in between for 60 years. No one can match that. One is enough!

Where would you draw the boundary on statues? Terry Paine, one club for 800 games, took us through all the leagues, we can make a good case for him, Mick Channon our record goalscorer, and of course Le God. We have one statue. Ted, from boot boy to President and every spot in between for 60 years. No one can match that. One is enough!

Completely agree. I liked the suggestion from Sydenhamssocks of a legends wall. Bit like a vertical Hall of Fame. Something to recognise those who have contributed a lot to the club without having statues dotted all round the stadium.

Completely agree. I liked the suggestion from Sydenhamssocks of a legends wall. Bit like a vertical Hall of Fame. Something to recognise those who have contributed a lot to the club without having statues dotted all round the stadium.

Good call on Terry Paine though I still think one statue is enough. Had he stayed, he could have been even bigger than Ted Bates. Remind me again, who was it who unceremoniously forced hi out of the club prematurely?

Good call on Terry Paine though I still think one statue is enough. Had he stayed, he could have been even bigger than Ted Bates. Remind me again, who was it who unceremoniously forced hi out of the club prematurely?

Yes, when Laurie got rid of Terry he was frequently called 'Mac my enemy' . Prefer a statue of Terry any day---but one is enough and if we had a second I would prefer Markus, without him we would have gone the way of Bury. Stone 'plaque of honour' we could have a long debate about who goes on that

Yes, when Laurie got rid of Terry he was frequently called 'Mac my enemy' . Prefer a statue of Terry any day---but one is enough and if we had a second I would prefer Markus, without him we would have gone the way of Bury. Stone 'plaque of honour' we could have a long debate about who goes on that

Lawrie was almost universally derided when he took the reigns from Ted, don't forget though that Ted was still there when Painer was shifted out. It was a perfectly sensible thing to do, he was past his prime as a player but was a hugely influential and outspoken person in the club. No new guy, certainly not an outsider like Lawrie could have worked well in those circumstances. Lawrie turned the haters round with his performances and the style of play and the type of players he introduced. It took a while, he was still getting a hard time in 74 when we were at the wrong end of the Div 2 table. But that's really what made him a legend to those of us at the time. He did his talking on the pitch as it were, he was admired for what he did not what he said.

I don't think a statue is appropriate for Lawrie. But really that's because I don't think statues should ever be erected for living persons, sportsmen or not. I hope I never see statues for Lawrie, Paine, Channon or Le Tiss in my lifetime, because I think it would mean they had passed away (3 of them are older than me, so it may well happen I suppose). I wouldn't be averse to a statue to Markus (hopefully they would spell his name right), also think Ron Davies should have been remembered better than he has been. A wall of legends would be a good idea though (don't Chelsea have one behind what was The Shed?). There would still be arguments about who should be on it though, as long as the aforementioned people plus Bally, Nick Holmes and Ivan Golac I'd be happy.