Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

What "banking system" is Jacob's using to transfer money from his account to each player's account?

If it's the relatively new UK 'Faster Payments' system then the funds transfer is 'almost immediate'...but not all banks particpate in that scheme for all customers yet, but most do.

If he/his bank are using the older BACS / Bank Giro Credit system then that takes between 2 and 4 days to transfer money from one account to another, depending on the bank.

So, if the money was sitting in his account yesterday AND it was yesterday that he submitted the payment requests to his bank then it could be up to 4 days before all players have received their slice.

Depending on what funds transfer system is being used there's a big difference between 'paying' your staff and actually 'being paid'.

You can CHAPS the money usually for £25 per payment, but across the squad, they will probably need to take out another loan to cover the £500 CHAPS charges.

It might have been purchased for close to £50m, but it is far from that value now. Also, as other teams are aware of their plight, it's unlikely that any player can be sold at close to their full value. I'd estimate that the entire first team would have a value of around £35 million. I don't know how many gems they have in their reserve and youth squads, but I can't see £15m worth in there.

Mind you, £50m is about the value of 2 years of Pompey's wage bill...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2797564/Avram-faces-transfer-hell.html

A League insider explained: "The £10m TV money which Portsmouth was due to receive this week has been withheld to settle the club's transfer payments to other English clubs.

"That money will take care of all their transfer commitments for the rest of the season. They have no other transfer payments to make until May.

"But the club still has a number of other outstanding and urgent debts, including money owed to the Inland Revenue, certain foreign clubs and a former owner.

If I was Lens I would be a bit peeved that the League had withheld the money to pay 'footballing' debts but that the money owed to them is apparently no covered under this heading.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/No-wages-again--and.5962541.jp

Can their squad actually be worth 55 million?

In short, no. Here's there squad list and my guestimates on what they'll be worth:

Current Squad

1 David James (G) - £500k

3 Younes Kaboul (D) - £2m

4 Aaron Mokoena (D) - £500k

6 Hayden Mullins (M) -£1m

7 Hermann Hreidarsson (D) - Free

8 Pape Bouba Diop (M) - £1m

11 Michael Brown (M) - £2m

14 Mike Williamson (D) -£500k

16 Steve Finnan (D) -£500k

17 John Utaka (F) - Free (due to massive wages)

19 Danny Webber (F) -£500k

20 Tommy Smith (F) -£500k

21 Jamie Ashdown (G) -£250k

22 Richard Hughes (M) -£500k

23 Kevin Boateng (M) Can't be sold

26 Tal Ben-Haim (D) - £2m

27 N****wo Kanu (F) - Free

29 Antti Niemi (G) - Free

31 Asmir Begovic (G) - £3m

33 Angelos Basinas (M) - Free

35 Mark Wilson (D) - £500k

37 Gael Nlundulu (M) Who???

39 Nadir Belhadj (D) - £1m (Contract ends this season)

I make that £16.25m if they sell their entire squad. OK some of these valuations are a bit out, but consider what we got for Surman and McGoldrick, well below what we'd have got if we were financially buoyant. At the absolute most, they'd get £20-£25m for their entire squad.

Also, there may be more cases like Utaka, where his wages are so high they just want to get rid. James and Diop are ones that springs to mind.

if they now want the league to guarantee loans have they run out of things to secure against? Is this the last loan they can get?

This has been a VERY funny thread but nothing made me laugh out loud as much as when they claimed their squad is worth £50M!!

I agree there is no way there squad is worth £50M and they cant sell the entire squad and fulfil there fixtures.The most I can see them getting in is about £7M and that would equate to about 3 players.

There biggest problem will be finding any takers unless it is at knock down silly money. I cant see this transfer window being that busy lots of clubs are struggling for money who is going to buy there under achieving over paid players ?

if they now want the league to guarantee loans have they run out of things to secure against? Is this the last loan they can get?

This has been a VERY funny thread but nothing made me laugh out loud as much as when they claimed their squad is worth £50M!!

Have you seen the article where ARCADI Gaydamak listed pfc as his own asset worth 300 million :D

Got feeling they will get through this.

Worst being the embargo may last all of window.

Think if they were going to die would have happened by now - unless the revenue hearing will be last straw next month.

The only thing that is saving that insolvent cancer is the Premier League's efforts to save face. Once they get relegated there will be hell to pay, it's just a matter of holding off Administration until the drop is secure.

The only thing that is saving that insolvent cancer is the Premier League's efforts to save face. Once they get relegated there will be hell to pay, it's just a matter of holding off Administration until the drop is secure.

How much will they need to get to that point? There are more wages to pay (though obviously less if they sell half the squad), the taxman will want his chunk, Lens may end up in court as well I guess to try and get their money?

3 Younes Kaboul (D) - £2m They might not get it, but worth 3-4m

14 Mike Williamson (D) -£500k Closer to 1.5m I'd have thought

17 John Utaka (F) - Free (due to massive wages) They bought him for 7m... (doubt they could get anything like that for him), but imagine that's what his 'value' is in their accounts!

23 Kevin Boateng (M) Can't be sold Can't be sold, but still worth c. 4m (for accounts)

26 Tal Ben-Haim (D) - £2m Bet he's valued at closer to 4m...

35 Mark Wilson (D) - £500k Experienced premier defender, closer to 1m

37 Gael Nlundulu (M) Who??? [One of their youth team Paul Hart 'promoted' to the seniors to make the squad look less depleted]

39 Nadir Belhadj (D) - £1m (Contract ends this season) Isn't he contracted until 2013? 3-4M

If Utaka is down on the accountants books as worth 7 million, then my guesses would value the squad at over £32m... [NB, that's not to say that's what I think it is actually worth... just what the accountants say it's worth (so they can try to use it as security against loans)]

Edited by Joensuu

3 Younes Kaboul (D) - £2m They might not get it, but worth 3-4m

14 Mike Williamson (D) -£500k Closer to 1.5m I'd have thought

17 John Utaka (F) - Free (due to massive wages) They bought him for 7m... (doubt they could get anything like that for him), but imagine that's what his 'value' is in their accounts!

23 Kevin Boateng (M) Can't be sold Can't be sold, but still worth c. 4m (for accounts)

26 Tal Ben-Haim (D) - £2m Bet he's valued at closer to 4m...

35 Mark Wilson (D) - £500k Experienced premier defender, closer to 1m

37 Gael Nlundulu (M) Who??? [One of their youth team Paul Hart 'promoted' to the seniors to make the squad look less depleted]

39 Nadir Belhadj (D) - £1m (Contract ends this season) Isn't he contracted until 2013? 3-4M

If Utaka is down on the accountants books as worth 7 million, then my guesses would value the squad at over £32m...

But which players have played for 2 clubs in the calendar year?

But which players have played for 2 clubs in the calendar year?

Not sure. Certainly Boateng can't be sold, possibly Smith and Williamson.

They can't sell their entire squad, nor do they need to. As I understand it they need to sell c. 8-10m worth of players this window to be able to stay afloat. Players such as Boateng can't be sold, but are still (intangible) assets for the company.

Reality is a lot less - most are borderline prem quality playing for the bottom team & no-one outside prem has any money to spend

1 David James (G) - free

3 Younes Kaboul (D) - up to £4m - only one woth anything

4 Aaron Mokoena (D) - came as a free

6 Hayden Mullins (M) -came as a free

8 Pape Bouba Diop (M) - £1m (at absolute most) Also on huge wages

11 Michael Brown (M) - Free - age

14 Mike Williamson (D) -£500k

16 Steve Finnan (D) -free - age/fitness

17 John Utaka (F) - Free (due to massive wages)

26 Tal Ben-Haim (D) - £2m tops plus big wage

31 Asmir Begovic (G) - £1m

35 Mark Wilson (D) - £500k

37 Gael Nlundulu (M) free

39 Nadir Belhadj (D) - £4m

I reckon absolute tops is £15 million (£20 if you include Boateng). Only Kaboul, Belhadj & poss Ben Haim woth anything more than a weeks wage bill and a lot of the biggest earners are unshiftable even for free

Not sure. Certainly Boateng can't be sold, possibly Smith and Williamson.

They can't sell their entire squad, nor do they need to. As I understand it they need to sell c. 8-10m worth of players this window to be able to stay afloat. Players such as Boateng can't be sold, but are still (intangible) assets for the company.

Why are people saying that Boateng cant be sold? he can be sold (there is no limit on how many clubs can hold the registration) but he cant PLAY for another club...

Why are people saying that Boateng cant be sold? he can be sold (there is no limit on how many clubs can hold the registration) but he cant PLAY for another club...

The question would then surely be who would buy him? Maybe sell him then loan back immediately?

loans are another matter...right..?

Not sure, Im pretty sure a 'keeper can play for more that 2 clubs in "an emergency" situation (ala Paul Jones) but not sure about outfield players.

There is certainly nothing stopping someone buying Boateng and then loaning him back to Portsmouth for the rest of the season.

As far as I am aware, he can be sold to anybody, but he can only play for Pompey or Spurs this season. I'm not sure about the rules if spurs were to buy him back... but anyone else buying him would probably want to loan him back to Pompey, or else train him to make tea and slice oranges for the next six months.

Very true, but that makes him unsellable right now!

Only the very richest clubs will buy a player now for £4 million or so, only to loan him back for the rest of the current season.

But as he is not good enough for the so called "top 4 clubs" - Pimply will be stuck with him and his wages for the rest of the season.

The question would then surely be who would buy him? Maybe sell him then loan back immediately?

Of course, no club in their right mind (unless they had a vested interest...) would pay 5million for a player that they couldn't utilise until the start of next season; they would need to pay his wages (or a percentage there of) even if he was loaned back to Portsmouth.

Of course, no club in their right mind (unless they had a vested interest...) would pay 5million for a player that they couldn't utilise until the start of next season; they would need to pay his wages (or a percentage there of) even if he was loaned back to Portsmouth.

Is he affected by the transfer embargo? I notice that O'Hara may well be on his way back to Spurs so where does that place Boeteng? Is is he on a season long loan?

Oh, and can anyone post a link to the claims that Arcadi Gaydamak claims to still own PFC?

Pompey players might be 'valued' at c. £50m, but they're only 'worth' c. £30m.

http://www.emeraldinsight.com/Insight/viewContentItem.do?contentType=Article&contentId=1656139

"there are convincing arguments for the conceptualisation of the services provided by football players as accounting assets"

Sounds like there are different ways of valuing players:

"The historical cost model involves capitalising players acquired by the club via the transfer market on the balance sheet at their cost of registration. " i.e. the 'value' of each player is the transfer fee paid for them. Thus Utaka = £7m; Williamson = £4m!

" The earnings multiplier model applies a multiplier to a player's earnings to produce a current valuation of that player." i.e. player is worth a multiple of their annual salary... if the multiple was 2x Utaka would be 'valued' at £8m; if the multiple used is 3x Utaka is 'valued' at £12m :rolleyes:

"The third model involves capitalising players at directors' valuation" Oh, that sounds sensible. So Faraj can pluck a figure out of the air, hmmm lets see, Utaka must be 'valued' at at least £15m... cough

"the independent multiple player evaluation model involves obtaining valuations for players from various informed sources, knowledgeable on those particular players." A sensible method at last... I doubt this is the one Pompey have been using... it might end up producing a figure thats a bit too realistic, say £25-30m...

Edited by Joensuu

Not sure, Im pretty sure a 'keeper can play for more that 2 clubs in "an emergency" situation (ala Paul Jones) but not sure about outfield players.

There is certainly nothing stopping someone buying Boateng and then loaning him back to Portsmouth for the rest of the season.

There is if the embargo isn't lifted. My understanding is that they can't register new players, even loans, until the current situation is reversed.

why would anyone buy Kaboul at this moment. Is he playing in the africa nations cup? Even if not there stillis a good chance that he will be bought for a low value soon. I dont rate him anyway, and HR unloaded him as soon as he had the chance

It's a FIFA rule, so I'd guess it applies internationally.

Now I can see this having serious ramifications later on.

You're Spurs, you've loaned him out, his chances of playing for you are slim so you decide to sell him but you can't as the club you've loaned him to are forbidden to keep him and the rules state he can't play for anyone else. It's not exactly very fair is it?

I can see the rules changing and it might affect the way loans are done... and not necessarily for the better.....

Well done Pompey, you may have ruined the system for everyone else..

Is he affected by the transfer embargo? I notice that O'Hara may well be on his way back to Spurs so where does that place Boeteng? Is is he on a season long loan?

Oh, and can anyone post a link to the claims that Arcadi Gaydamak claims to still own PFC?

I think the Skates actually bought Boateng and not loaned him from Spuds

or wait until end of season and get him cheaper?

let's remember how clubs queued up to buy our squad that must have been valued at £25M. They are dreaming.

I do agree with the post about them hanging on for a bit, I would rather they stumbled to relegation on merit, which I think is within their capability, and then start next season with a 35pt penalty for all the offences that are stacking up.

have they been paid yet

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1241330/Portsmouth-set-pay-players-PFA-official-accuses-club-damaging-Premier-League.html

Speaking on behalf of owner Ali al-Faraj, Jacob said: 'The players are being paid today. The wages are presently being processed.'

Its at that damn processing stage again. What could go wrong this time???

Does this only being allowed to play for 2 clubs in a season rule apply just in England, or would Boateng be able to say play in Germany or Holland?

I saw a reference to the regulation some time ago and I think it was more than two clubs in the same country so on that basis he could be sold to a foreign club.

I'm waiting for the inevitable announcement from Mr Jacobs stating that the money has gone missing.

It was in his account last night, we all know that as he told SSN, but this morning when he went to the bank to pay the wages the money had disappeared, he obviously doesn't know where it's gone, but it'll surely be blamed on a bank error - again!

why would anyone buy Kaboul at this moment. Is he playing in the africa nations cup? Even if not there stillis a good chance that he will be bought for a low value soon. I dont rate him anyway, and HR unloaded him as soon as he had the chance

As I said before, linked to Lyon in a £4m deal.