No longer prepared to pay for rubbish?

Mr X

Lowest attendance ever last night of 14,916! and a dreadful atmosphere according to the echo, with fans barely cheering even when we scored. I know it's midweek but by any standard it's a poor turnout . What in your opinion is the prime reason for this?

Lowest attendance ever last night of 14,916! and a dreadful atmosphere according to the echo, with fans barely cheering even when we scored. I know it's midweek but by any standard it's a poor turnout . What in your opinion is the prime reason for this?

Supply and demand

Many reasons

+ Cost of everything is going up £20-£30 to watch a game is a bit excessive

+ An unknown team that was largely our reserve team last year

+ Unknown manager

+ Poor peforming team

+ Lowe return

But i think the main one is simply

+ People have lost interest in Southampton. Maybe the way the fans have been treated over the past few seasons has finally caught up with them.

I would say it's all those things, and people are digging in to weather the present economic downturn, and the recession that is predicted to follow. I've just watched the first highlights from the Ipswich match on Saints TV though, and there's plenty of cheering and shouting.

Have to also add that, although the goals conceded were unfortunate, the Andrew Surman goal was excellent quality football.

Many reasons

+ Unknown manager

+ Poor peforming team

+ Lowe return

+ People have lost interest in Southampton. Maybe the way the fans have been treated over the past few seasons has finally caught up with them.

Thats the main one for me too. Unfortunately a lot of people are labelling this team being as bad as the dross that was served up last year. Which is unfair IMO.

However I'm just grateful tickets aren't £40-£50 for 'big' games as at QPR!

Many reasons

+ Unknown manager

+ Poor peforming team

+ Lowe return

Totally agree with last paragraph , people Iknow who were fairly regular attendees with their kids , just say they cannot be bothered

Just had a look at the mid-week attendances of other teams, and although some games were below the Saints v Ipswich attendance, there were plenty who were above, and it tended to be the teams with a recent Premiership tradition, or those on the up, who were above us. In reading this, I have to revise my opinion, and look at the comments above too. It's harsh [but understandable] to lay the punishment of lack of support on the current 1st team and staff, as they often play very entertaining football, but everybody has a limit somewhere, I suppose. Like everyone else, I can't afford to watch Saints as much as I'd like. So, all I can hope for is that Jan Poortvliet continues his excellent record of winning titles and making the most out of little or no money. That should bring the crowds back.

Well that's a load of arse now isn't it? Barely cheering when we scored??? Have a word...

A lot of mates who all bought seaon tickets with me when first moving to SMS have all trickled away now. Some are just depressed by the last 4 years, some hate Lowe with a vengeance, some are disillusioned with football in general - I am starting to think I only go now out of habit.

It is good to see the kids perform and the football is better than it ever was under Burley but I don't think it is going to get us anywhere and I am convinced we will never have a settled side because as soon as anyone look half decent they will be off.

Reason 1 - Value for money! (overpriced tickets for far-below-par quality of performance

Reason 2 - CCC (playing teams like Barnsley and other such teams does not appeal to the masses like having prem league names as opponents

Reason 3 - Ru**rt and his treacherous side-kick. (A number of people will NOT spend a penny on the club while these proven failures are in charge)

Reason 4 - The economy (money is tight, many simply can't afford it anymore)

I totally disagree about the atmosphere. I was there & everyone cheered when we scored. Yes there was general nervousness when Ipswich got the upper hand in the second half, but at least in the first half we were the better team.

As for the attendance - mid week game, results not going our way, recession looming etc etc - so no surprise IMHO.

FWIW, I will be there again on Saturday & don't give a fig who runs/owns my club or which division we are in - I will always turn up as I am a Saints fan forever & whatever, through thick & thin !

Were you at the game last night, Mr X?

Because it was certainly not rubbish. It was a very entertaining match and for much of it the young Saints team played some outstanding skillful passing football - the like that Burley's flops rarely achieved. True their heads went down after Ipswich's goals. But they rallied and levelled, good entertainment. And the vastly more experienced and increasingly frustrated Ipswich side could not roll Saints over. For much of the game - something I have not witnessed at St Mary's before - prolonged appreciative clapping by several thousand supporters in recognition of the quality of Saints football. But yes, it is true the stands other than the Northern were relatively subdued, but there was certainly a lot of noise when we scored. Don't believe what you read.

No, it is not the young players who are to blame for the poor attendance, Mr X. It is people like you who don't attend and pass the word around by advertising the negatives.

If so-called fans gave as much as these kids are doing, we might have a few extra points.

Guest Hacienda
If so-called fans gave as much as these kids are doing, we might have a few extra points.

Would they give us extra points then if we cheered?

Fair play for the excuses, I understand that not everybody can afford it, or spare the time, but ultimately Southampton just isn't enough of a "footballing city"... there are plenty of teams who have fallen lower than we are who continued to pick up decent support. At the end of the day, the fact remains there are plenty of people who are prepared to go along and watch premiership football but in times like this when the going gets tough it seperates the men from the boys, perhaps some will admit that rather than money etc it is just that they're not that much of a fan. The atmosphere wasn't great last night either, it's a real shame that the Itchen North closed, and looking around the Northam last night there are just too many people who stand there clapping along with gormless looks on their faces rather than sing! we could do with a couple of better anthems though rather than just the endless clap along red&white barmy army songs!

I don't believe a single person in Southampton goes.

Four years ago it took me 45 minutes to get out of the city with 32,000 crowds.

Last night it took me 45 minutes to get out of the city.

Ergo, there are 15,000 fans who live outside Southampton who actually respresent the only people who care enough to go!!!

Your going the wrong way out then!!!

Left Locks heath at 7.15, got to the ground in time for kick off, and was back by 10.05.

Were you at the game last night, Mr X?

Because it was certainly not rubbish. It was a very entertaining match and for much of it the young Saints team played some outstanding skillful passing football - the like that Burley's flops rarely achieved. True their heads went down after Ipswich's goals. But they rallied and levelled, good entertainment. And the vastly more experienced and increasingly frustrated Ipswich side could not roll Saints over. For much of the game - something I have not witnessed at St Mary's before - prolonged appreciative clapping by several thousand supporters in recognition of the quality of Saints football. But yes, it is true the stands other than the Northern were relatively subdued, but there was certainly a lot of noise when we scored. Don't believe what you read.

No, it is not the young players who are to blame for the poor attendance, Mr X. It is people like you who don't attend and pass the word around by advertising the negatives.

WTF! I was merely stating the game as the echo had reported not my personal opinion. Do you attack everyone who gives information on how the press sees things? chill the hell out :mad:

WTF! I was merely stating the game as the echo had reported not my personal opinion. Do you attack everyone who gives information on how the press sees things? chill the hell out :mad:

I thought it was subdued too. Fair play to the Northam who were their usual magnificent selves but with the empty seats and closed corners there was quite an echo rattling round the ground at times. Several times I could hear the players calling so it must have been quiet.

Ergo, there are 15,000 fans who live outside Southampton who actually respresent the only people who care enough to go!!!

45 min to get out of the city - I was on the A34 by then. Still didn't get home till 01:30 though. At least Sheffield is only an hour away for me next Tuesday!!

45 min to get out of the city - I was on the A34 by then. Still didn't get home till 01:30 though. At least Sheffield is only an hour away for me next Tuesday!!

Ah, I qualfy the start of the M3 as the edge of the city... ;)

And I always park opposite the Jester and however long it was it ain't got any shorter with all these empty seats!!

football is a results game.Most are fed up watching Saints lose or draw at best.4 years of shi*e and many fans have given up!!

Best post on this subject, same as I've said elsewhere.

It's very simple why people do not go to games. They are fed up going to SMS and not seeing us win.

It is bugger all to do with how we play, even who the opponents are (at least for league games), or the ticket price, or the fact the corners are closed, or whether the pies are crap or the beer flat, or whether Rupert is there, or whatever lame excuse people can come up with. Saints start to win consistently AT HOME and the supporters will start going to games again. Its about the feelgood factor. Why do you think people are going to turn out to home games regularly to go home depressed and thinking they have wasted their money? At present it makes more sense from an enjoyment point of view to go to away games, because at least we win away from home occassionally.

Best post on this subject, same as I've said elsewhere.

It's very simple why people do not go to games. They are fed up going to SMS and not seeing us win.

It is bugger all to do with how we play, even who the opponents are (at least for league games), or the ticket price, or the fact the corners are closed, or whether the pies are crap or the beer flat, or whether Rupert is there, or whatever lame excuse people can come up with. Saints start to win consistently AT HOME and the supporters will start going to games again. Its about the feelgood factor. Why do you think people are going to turn out to home games regularly to go home depressed and thinking they have wasted their money? At present it makes more sense from an enjoyment point of view to go to away games, because at least we win away from home occassionally.

that's fine, as long as those who no longer go acknowledge that they are just not as loyal as the 14k hardcore who still turn up, as opposed to bringing out the same old excuses for non-attendance. One thing is for sure, you enjoy the 'good times' more having gone through the bad.

However I'm just grateful tickets aren't £40-£50 for 'big' games as at QPR!

If the league rules in QPRs favour (which I hope they dont.) Tickets for saints there next season will be £40 and the £30 lower tier will only go on sale when the £40 ones are sold out.

Last season.

What a stupid f**king idea it was to close the Redbridge Flyover so early. Why didn't they wait an extra half hour or so until most of the football traffic had cleared!?!

Another reason is surely that, for the second time this season already, we have two home games within five days. This is going to happen again later in the season I think so we will have another two poorly attended games. It is surely no surprise that in this poor economic period people will not want, or be able to afford, to go to two games in a week.

Whoever produces the fixture list ought to be shot for continually giving teams like us two home games in a week and then no home games for three weeks.

I totally disagree about the atmosphere. I was there & everyone cheered when we scored. Yes there was general nervousness when Ipswich got the upper hand in the second half, but at least in the first half we were the better team.

As for the attendance - mid week game, results not going our way, recession looming etc etc - so no surprise IMHO.

FWIW, I will be there again on Saturday & don't give a fig who runs/owns my club or which division we are in - I will always turn up as I am a Saints fan forever & whatever, through thick & thin !

Nice sentiments but it was this laissez-faire attitude of not caring what was going on in the boardroom which in 1997 allowed the reverse takeover to become reality. And that was the beginning of the slide. And to say you don't care what division we are in is a little frightening. I don't expect you vote either.

What a stupid f**king idea it was to close the Redbridge Flyover so early. Why didn't they wait an extra half hour or so until most of the football traffic had cleared!?!

Is that what it was??? Missed my bloody supper as a result! The dog enjoyed it, mind... I could tell by the way she was smiling at me at 11:48 when I got home!!! And then she had audacity to lick my face.

Another reason is surely that, for the second time this season already, we have two home games within five days. This is going to happen again later in the season I think so we will have another two poorly attended games. It is surely no surprise that in this poor economic period people will not want, or be able to afford, to go to two games in a week.

Whoever produces the fixture list ought to be shot for continually giving teams like us two home games in a week and then no home games for three weeks.

Nail. Hit. Head. Midweek games either result in being late due to coming in from another location across the South East - the most gridlocked region in the UK - and coming into Britain's most congested city (Southampton since London got the C-Charge) - doesn't help. As ever, it'll be a Saints goal I miss and not the opposition's! It's a wonder anyone comes into Soton for anything other than football, unless you enjoy traffic jams (my other half enjoys West Quay I suppose). Getting out is easier for midweek games than it used to be though. Saturday games are far easier - park in Woolston at a friend's place and bus over and a 5-10 min walk. Can't really do that unless I'm working locally for midweek games.

I thought it was an enjoyable game.

It was. Need 3 points Saturday though - Barnsley are dreadful and if even this Saints side can't beat them at home it's curtains to our CCC stay. In fact both teams have won only 1 league game this season and it was against Derby!

I walked to Debenhams, then drove over the flyover, short holdup, home by 1015. They should have closed it at 1030.

Nice sentiments but it was this laissez-faire attitude of not caring what was going on in the boardroom which in 1997 allowed the reverse takeover to become reality. And that was the beginning of the slide. And to say you don't care what division we are in is a little frightening. I don't expect you vote either.

We couldn't stop that, with the shareholders trousering a lot of money. It was who they chose that caused the problem.

Guest Hacienda
that's fine, as long as those who no longer go acknowledge that they are just not as loyal as the 14k hardcore who still turn up, as opposed to bringing out the same old excuses for non-attendance. One thing is for sure, you enjoy the 'good times' more having gone through the bad.

I doubt they'll give a sh1t.

yup, and Saints should have forseen this.

Saturdays crowd will be well above Weds- So they should have sold both games for, say. £30, and got a bit of extra cash in.

but what to do?

Some say cheaper tickets, but because we sold season tickets that means we'd have to go to the bank and ask for a bigger overdraft so we can give money back to those who gave it to us early. I am sure that English contract law and the armies of lawyers you guys have these days would be all over the club on behalf of season ticket holders if their "buy match tickets in bulk discount" was shown to not have been true (think it's called misrepresentation)

Not an easy problem to solve. You could offer one game for say 18 quid and then give the season ticket holders a voucher to get in to a cup game for a fiver, but that also is a big assumption - that we actually GET a home game in either of the cups.

We really made a rod for our own backs when we launched the early bird scheme and set the price for the season tickets. Unfortunately for many, that was before Lowe's return so we can't actually blame him now that his hands are tied.

I agree something SHOULD be done, the trouble is - what can we do that takes into account the season ticket holders and doesn't upset THEM or break the law?