Matchday Entertainment - Your Views??

The Fat Controller

After watching Saints for the past 25 years - i think it's fair to say that our entertainment pre- match and at half time is to be fair is pretty crap.

Stuart Dennis doesn't get the crowd going enough and some of the music being played is equally as bad. Others that have tried havent been much better., and as supporters we should offer the club some alternative ideas of what we want to entertain us

new ideas so here is mine

I think we should have a new game where we can win a £1000 - Draw 5 people from tickets sold before the game to fund the game - Each win £50 just for being drawn out

then they draw number 1-5 out of the bag. you have a score into the 5 a side goal from the halfway line to win £1000 in what ever order your drawn out. as soon as someone scores it's game over. If no-one wins then the jackpot rolls over to the next game - where everyone can buy tickets to try their luck for 2 grand etc.

I like the idea of winning a signed shirt/ free tickets etc but think we could do better as a club with the overall presentation of the matchday entertainment

The only matchday entertainment worth having is good football. When we had terracing and stood around for up to 2 hours waiting for kick off the brass band was great!!

The Albion Band, there are a number of us on here who remember them, morning to all the old codgers, used to some great old codgers threads a while ago.

The only matchday entertainment worth having is good football. When we had terracing and stood around for up to 2 hours waiting for kick off the brass band was great!!

agreed with that, i remember the days of getting into the ground as soon as te turnstiles opened to get your place at the back of the Milton, underneath the family centre if the weather was ****, then the brass band before the game and at half time, those were the days. You didn't have people moaning about the queues and quality of the pies and beer, quality of their replica shirt (hardly anyone wore one) crap pre match and half time entertainment and the matchday programme back then! No one gave a toss, we were there for the match, thats the trouble with fans these days, they are consumers, sometimes i wonder if they'd settle for a crap match provided they didn't have to queue for beer, had someone doing stand up at half time and had Gordon Ramsey made pies.

Edited by Turkish

agreed with that, i remember the days of getting into the ground as soon as te turnstiles opened to get your place at the back of the Milton, underneath the family centre if the weather was ****, then the brass band before the game and at half time, those were the days. You didn't have people moaning about the queues and quality of the pies and beer, quality of their replica shirt (hardly anyone wore one) crap pre match and half time entertainment and the matchday programme back then! No one gave a toss, we were there for the match, thats the trouble with fans these days, they are consumers, sometimes i wonder if they'd settle for a crap match provided they didn't have to queue for beer, had someone doing stand up at half time and had Gordon Ramsey made pies.

Things change. Get used to it.

I would change 2 things about the match day 'entertainment'. Get rid of Stuart Dennis, stop playing that awful OWTS remix!

I reckon some Harry Hill style fiiiiiight's between forum members -

Some obvious match ups:

SOG Vs Alpine Saint

19C Vs Daren W

Glasgow Saint Vs (actually this would be more like royal rumble)

You know the usual suspects where one of them posts something vaguely negative and you can guarantee that their arch-nemisis will soon arrive to battle it out.....

Must be better than whats on offer now ;)

For a start, they should fire the guy that though the Rickie, Papa, Lee and Me off to Wembley (or whatever) thing would be a good idea. It is the most painful thing I have ever seen.

Cut the b*llsh*t and focus on the football, it's why we are there, just tell us who the teams are, present highlights of past games and maybe some interviews, anything else is a waste of resources.

The Albion Band, there are a number of us on here who remember them, morning to all the old codgers, used to some great old codgers threads a while ago.

I like to myself as a young old codger, and my earliest days of going to matches were The Albion Band marching around the pitch and people lobbing coins into a huge sack/blanket and buckets being carried around the perimeter of the pitch. ....... but

a) I don't think the groundsman would let 30 odd blokes march up and down his precious turf before the match and again at HT and

b) Elf and Safety would have kittens at promoting people throwing coins around :cool:

I reckon a few rounds of bingo would go down a treat :cool:

I reckon some Harry Hill style fiiiiiight's between forum members -

Some obvious match ups:

SOG Vs Alpine Saint

19C Vs Daren W

Glasgow Saint Vs (actually this would be more like royal rumble)

You know the usual suspects where one of them posts something vaguely negative and you can guarantee that their arch-nemisis will soon arrive to battle it out.....

Must be better than whats on offer now ;)

There would a few lined up to take on one or two of them.

How about the Alboion Band, followed by a bit of Dennis Rofe?

Oh and how about a parachute jump, arriving with the match ball. That was always really exciting, especially when they landed half way up the avenue on the Common:-) With the stands so tight at the Dell no one could see them before they came over the top of the West Stand, if you were lucky.

How about the Alboion Band, followed by a bit of Dennis Rofe?

Oh and how about a parachute jump, arriving with the match ball. That was always really exciting, especially when they landed half way up the avenue on the Common:-) With the stands so tight at the Dell no one could see them before they came over the top of the West Stand, if you were lucky.

Dennis (BBC) Rofe, balls, bibs & cones.

Edited by Toomer

The fact of the matter is with such a poor PA system the pre match entertainment will always be poor no matter what we have provided, Police Dogs aside. Stuart Dennis is hoarse by the time we kick off thanks to the fact that he has to shout so much to make sure that he is heard, proof of that is whenever he asks an on pitch guest a question you never hear the answer.

As for the Pardew pre match interview we are just wasting electricity.

I like to myself as a young old codger, and my earliest days of going to matches were The Albion Band marching around the pitch and people lobbing coins into a huge sack/blanket and buckets being carried around the perimeter of the pitch. ....... but

a) I don't think the groundsman would let 30 odd blokes march up and down his precious turf before the match and again at HT and

b) Elf and Safety would have kittens at promoting people throwing coins around :cool:

I reckon a few rounds of bingo would go down a treat :cool:

I too must be entering into the early stage of "codgerhood" as yes, definitely remember the Albion Band.Infact on the "song" thread" I suggested they would be better suited to performing for us than having to listen to One Vision crap before the Wembley game.

I also remember some pretty embarrassing prematch entertainment though at The Dell,especially in the late 70's/early 80's which was geared towards the Family Centre.For example 20 blokes dressed as Kermit the Frogs playing a pipe band.

Bingo ? Perhaps the club could sell tartan blankets - in SFC colours,complete with crest - to put over the knees.

Dennis (BBC) Rofe, balls, bibs & cones.

He was an embarrassment.

Until I saw the Hammerettes, the only form of match day entertainment of value was the old boy who used to collect the practice balls in a net sack, players firing in from all distances and angles. Some would go directly into the sack, other times he would have to duck with 4 arriving at once.

Things change. Get used to it.

I would change 2 things about the match day 'entertainment'. Get rid of Stuart Dennis, stop playing that awful OWTS remix!

But they dont change that much where "fans" are more interested in what goes on before the game and at half time than during it. Surely the purpose of going to a football match is to watch a football match, personally i couldn't give a toss if the PA announcer isn't champions league standard, all i care about is what goes on on the pitch whilst the match is in progress, not before it, during the break or after it.

I too must be entering into the early stage of "codgerhood" as yes, definitely remember the Albion Band.Infact on the "song" thread" I suggested they would be better suited to performing for us than having to listen to One Vision crap before the Wembley game.

I also remember some pretty embarrassing prematch entertainment though at The Dell,especially in the late 70's/early 80's which was geared towards the Family Centre.For example 20 blokes dressed as Kermit the Frogs playing a pipe band.

Bingo ? Perhaps the club could sell tartan blankets - in SFC colours,complete with crest - to put over the knees.

He was an embarrassment.

along with BBC still better than Stuart Dennis who appears to do everything from a script and has to pc about everything.

all together now with Adam, with Papa, with Rickie even the kids it is aimed at are embarassed

Until I saw the Hammerettes, the only form of match day entertainment of value was the old boy who used to collect the practice balls in a net sack, players firing in from all distances and angles. Some would go directly into the sack, other times he would have to duck with 4 arriving at once.

Eric Martin bowling them into the sack over 30 yards ... a class start to any game.

Poor old bloke always got the blame, not Eric Martin for any that missed :D

If you're looking for good pre match music, and if you're going to MK Dons, todays the day.

I thought the music prior to the game in the JPT semi was superb. Just a shame that they didn't have enough fans there to build an atmosphere!

Their owner used to manage The Who,Phil Collins/Genesis among such others,good taste in tunes.

Stuart Dennis does his best but is terrible imo.

Some of the music is attrocious and also having the music playing right upto the kick off get on my tits.

yes can we not have the league scores on the screen at half time? used to have the boards at the Dell and checked them against the list in the programme,

As to Stuart Dennis and the music can both of them, rather have the music stop as soon as teams out of the tunnel , then let the crowd make the noise, and for gods sake get some better music if we have to have music but Stuart Dennis nah no thanks , rather have an ex player out there, is there a current player at the club thats not involved at the moment that could do the role, Murty ? rotate the role with ex players

I still have vivid memories of hopping from one foot to another, because my feet were cold, and they ached from standing, as I lent over the wall at the Archers or later, the Milton Road end, trying to get some relief from them. On the Tannoy would be Reach Out - I'll Be There, Jimmy Mack or Tears Of A Clown, and a little later Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes, or some other jewel from 1960's pop/motown culture. My pre-match entertainment was reading the matchday programme I'd bought for a shilling.

Something that always seems to stick in my mind was turning to the teamsheet page and seeing the opposition with international after international playing, especially Leeds or Liverpool. ManU had a few too. With Saints it was always: Gabriel - Scotland; Paine - England, Davies - Wales. And that was it, every match. Simpler times. :)

how about what they do at glasgow rangers? Simply a guy with a microphone telling everyone how great GRFC are which a few blokes holding various pro-rangers flags with pro Rangers music, non of this "we welcome the away fans ********".....

Personally i've always felt that we should have the team come out to a stirring anthem like the Stone Roses "this is the one" if you dont know it this is it, imagine this belting out just before kick off, mild at first then 2 mins before it really hots up....

followed by the PA announcer totally ignoring the away fans, giving it all the "Welcome to St Marys, we are the best, we are going to win, etc......"

Those words and music would inspire me...

Edited by Turkish