Message from NC - discuss

Tractor_Saint

What's to discuss?

Spot on, thank you NC.

Well, actually, the only thing to discuss is the fact whilst we can never stop the rumour mill, you'd think it was about time that fans actually put a little trust in the club and it's new owners, and didn't start jumping to conclusions based on wholly unsubstantiated evidence.

Excellent, just what was needed. Fair to say NC has erased the doubts I freely admitted to having. I especially like this:

Our fans and staff should be reassured that I will only make decisions affecting our future based on sound football and business thinking and not on the whims of a local newspaper keen to maximise readership or pundits whose agendas are unclear. Furthermore, I will not respond to every piece of idle speculation. We have too much development work to do to waste time on such pursuits, and my time is dedicated to that work.

Good move by Cortese. I'm glad he doesnt' respond every time the media start gossiping. In the long term it'll increase then sense of stability at the club, letting his actions speak louder than words.

However I wasn't too happy with his direct comments to individuals, I felt this wasn't the most helpful. We don't want to make enemies of our best friends in the media if we can avoid it.

Glad I haven't spent most of the last week reading this board.

Cortese does at times sound like he'd be able to pick a fight in a phone box - but there's nothing wrong with fighters. We could do with a couple more to get us out of this league.

What's to discuss?

Well nothing really of course. However, given that stories clearly based on unfounded rumours didn't stop masses of discussion on here about what was happening it's nice to have something definite to talk about !

PS Can we now finally close all the AP is leaving threads please :D

I very much welcome this statement from NC. I am particularly pleased that it appears that the rumours regarding AP's departure appear unfounded. It does seem however that NC does like conflict and instead of trying to work in harmony with others he likes to carry on old feuds.

Overall very pleased and looking forward to next season.

A great letter addressing many key points. The only thing I read which I didnt like was implying that Matt Le Tissier was trying to harm the club by throwing his support behind Pinnacle. We are all sure it was done in good faith and he had no agenda in doing so other than wanting what was best for SFC. Great letter Nicola, but please dont alienate such a club legend as Matt Le Tissier. Without him, I dare say the club would exist these days for you to take forward.

A good response from NC and reinforces his commitment to both Saints as a whole and AP in particular. The thing is that while the rumour mill was 'spinning' and we were concerned (well, I was!) poor old NC was damned if he did and damned if he didn't because his backing of AP would soon have been spun into 'Oh dear! AP has the chairman's backing' kind of crap.

Anyway, all's well. It's now onwards and upwards. A deserved respite and then back into the fray for a season which we all hope is more succesful than the great season we have just experienced.

My nipper and I are going to get our first season tickets so we have a lot to look forward to.

Great statement from NC, i was slightly worried with all the talk that he was going to do something silly - but obviously not.

Interesting section in the statement, where he states he wants to see ''a good style of play that is compelling to watch''.

glad it's all sorted though and we can look forward to the summer.

Very Good article showing a single minded sense of purpose aimed at improving our club. Just what we needed!

Could probably have done without the pointed digs at McMenemey and Le Tiss they are after all entitled to their own opinions as are all of us! I felt in particualr the reference to the Le Tiss link to the Pinnicale consortium was not very helpful.

However, over all it is just "What the Doctor ordered"!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Can't help digging at the Echo can he? Oh well, at least (it seems) Pardew is staying.

Good move by Cortese. I'm glad he doesnt' respond every time the media start gossiping. In the long term it'll increase then sense of stability at the club, letting his actions speak louder than words.

However I wasn't too happy with his direct comments to individuals, I felt this wasn't the most helpful. We don't want to make enemies of our best friends in the media if we can avoid it.

But its OK for them to print and say what they like just to sell papers.

Ian Murray has motives that are leaving a bad taste regards SFC.

Well Played NC.

I'm reassured that Pardew seems to be staying, but the undertones of paranoia are still there, seeing conspiracies where there aren't any. It's the hallmark of an insecure leader, if you ask me.

No its the hallmark of Saints FC and its supporters and has been for more years than I can to remember!

I still have every hope that NC will be successful in changing the culture that has grown up around the club in recent years

Various figures with past associations to the Club have been quick to voice their opinions, among them a long time former manager, and former players, one of whom was associated with a so-called consortium which delayed for an important few weeks last summer our plans to stabilise the Club.

These commentators are each entitled to their opinions of course. However, I must tell them that running a major football club such as Southampton is a rather different matter from writing about doing so. I am sure that readers of this message will reach their own conclusions.

Ouch....if only Nineteen Canteen was here to comment.... :-)