The Eurovision Song Contest

dune

Maybe the organisers will take a f*cking hint now and kick us out so we don't have to worry about staying up to watch some eastern European bint tell us they've voted for their neighbours instead of us so they don't come and beat them up.

About time that we left this competition, either that or there is a rule that apart from not being able to vote for their own countries, neither are they allowed to vote for any country that they share a border with.

As usual, the whole thing was utterly farcical.

About time that we left this competition, either that or there is a rule that apart from not being able to vote for their own countries, neither are they allowed to vote for any country that they share a border with.

Bit tough on Switzerland

Exactly - luckily there is very little in the way of any musical talent on show in this so called 'song contest', and therefore I don't really take too much notice - the whole thing is, as you say, a farce.

I work in Germany most months and quite often talk to one of the girls in the hotel about music, and we often chat about how English / American music dominates European countries, and how crap German music is in general.

Tonights result only goes to show how right I am - I'm off back over there next week - can't wait to chat to her again after this result.

The usual political voting although hasn't been as bad recently as it was years ago.

The political voting argument may be a genuine one, but it's funny it only seems to happen in Eastern Europe and doesn't happen this side of the continent. Ireland, France, Belgium etc don't give us a lot of points. . . .

The UK's entry was the worst I've heard in years, the lad performed it ok but the song was instantly forgettable. A bland ballad clumsily stuck on a half arsed disco beat. Truly terrible song. We deserved to be last quite frankly.

Still what do I know, my favourite was probably Belarus and that came 24th :wink:

The usual political voting although hasn't been as bad recently as it was years ago.

The political voting argument may be a genuine one, but it's funny it only seems to happen in Eastern Europe and doesn't happen this side of the continent. Ireland, France, Belgium etc don't give us a lot of points. . . .

The UK's entry was the worst I've heard in years, the lad performed it ok but the song was instantly forgettable. A bland ballad clumsily stuck on a half arsed disco beat. Truly terrible song. We deserved to be last quite frankly.

Still what do I know, my favourite was probably Belarus and that came 24th :wink:

The sort of thing that used to top the charts not so long ago too!

We should offer to host it, with the current voting trends it would be a scream, I'd actually pay to see it.

Not sure which is worse, the whole Eurovision Song contest as a TV programme or the fact you lot ran to 4 pages yakking about it.

Perfectly sums up "The Whingeing Poms" as the Aussies like to put it. Eurovision is Nirvana as it gives the entire TV watching country something to moan about collectively for 3 hours

What would life be like without it for you all?

:D

Our entry only had male dancers. Can't you tell the difference? :D
Lol, the snippet I saw was on BBC yesterday morning in a preview, I recall you were a dancer, im sure your legs would have been trimmer. it amazed me that a dancer would have had such untoned and large legs

Not sure which is worse, the whole Eurovision Song contest as a TV programme or the fact you lot ran to 4 pages yakking about it.

Perfectly sums up "The Whingeing Poms" as the Aussies like to put it. Eurovision is Nirvana as it gives the entire TV watching country something to moan about collectively for 3 hours

What would life be like without it for you all?

:D

I assume the top burka competition on Dubai TV would give it a run

Lol, the snippet I saw was on BBC yesterday morning in a preview, I recall you were a dancer, im sure your legs would have been trimmer. it amazed me that a dancer would have had such untoned and large legs

You sure it was the UK entry? The only females I saw representing the UK were backing singers and they all had long frocks on :confused:

Exactly - luckily there is very little in the way of any musical talent on show in this so called 'song contest', and therefore I don't really take too much notice - the whole thing is, as you say, a farce.

I work in Germany most months and quite often talk to one of the girls in the hotel about music, and we often chat about how English / American music dominates European countries, and how crap German music is in general.

Tonights result only goes to show how right I am - I'm off back over there next week - can't wait to chat to her again after this result.

From the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10192518.stm

Julia Frost, who co-wrote Lena's song, works for RedZone entertainment - the US company responsible for Rihanna's Umbrella and Britney Spears' Me Against The Music

Nothing much German about the song.

I assume the top burka competition on Dubai TV would give it a run

Dubai has a TV station? feck me, learn something every day. Don't tell me I don't need a Satellite dish either to get it.

Anyway, why would we want some second rate singing contest. MBC4 shows us Pop Idol....

Which is why I just switched to Al Jazeera for the WC & L1 coverage :D

You sure it was the UK entry? The only females I saw representing the UK were backing singers and they all had long frocks on :confused:

yep it must have been from a show when they were choosing which one to enter (not to enter the dancers BTW)

I do and can that they could be pretty sexy, I wonder what they would be wearing underneath...

Our song would have got somewhere 20 years ago when Stock Aitkin and Waterman songs had some pop-y appeal, it was like the "tune" had been thawed out from a Cryogenic store for the occasion............................................ I half expected Jason Donovan to pop up!!

Well clearly it still means a lot to the Germans. On Saturday their football team won their last World Cup warm up match 3-0 against Hungary, and on Sunday the President resigned, but the main story in all the tv news programmes is Eurovision and the fact that over 40,000 people were at Hannover airport to greet the girl that won it.

There's an impressive amount of homophobia, xenophobia and sexism on this thread. Well done, chaps, I'm proud of you all.

Reflecting exactly the same levels of those things from amongst the juries all over Europe. Israel for example gave the German song no points. I wonder why that was? It was certainly one of the top 10 songs in the competition, although not the best IMO. Likewise, although nothing special, ours was certainly not the worst either and would have fared better had the lad been singing it on behalf of another country.