Dagenham & Redbridge

Saint in Paradise

I know a bit about them, being my local-ish football league club.

Unbelievable achievement getting into League 1, they are a conference size club and have done it on a conference size budget.

As you would expect, very basic ground and half their fanbase are West Ham fans.

They play in Sheffield not Rotherham... which isnt a dump. In fact its nicer than Southampton

The Don Valley isn't a particuarly great place for football though! I was hoping Rotherham would come up as it could have given me an excuse to have a weekend up in Sheffield after I leave Uni in the next few weeks. Agreed that Sheffield is a nicer place than Southampton, although like any other city still has its ropey areas.

I know a bit about them, being my local-ish football league club.

Unbelievable achievement getting into League 1, they are a conference size club and have done it on a conference size budget.

As you would expect, very basic ground and half their fanbase are West Ham fans.

Guarenteed punch up then.

Pleased for them,but a shame Aldershot didn't make it.

That's what I call a Local Derby .........:D:rolleyes::)

That would really tear at the loyalties, lived there for 24 years until I got married. I went to infant, junior and senior schools at Redbridge.

I used to cheer on Redbridge Rovers as a nipper at Green Park. ;-)

I enjoyed the Daggers win just to see the smile wiped off the Chuckle brothers faces ....promotion to me to you!

I went to a D&R game last season as an away fan - it was a cracking day, really friendly club with a nice clubhouse that was happy to invite away fans in for a drink. Really pleased for them as their crowds are low and there is not a lot of money available to the club.

In a way I do wonder what is the point of D&R, they are located in the shadow of West Ham so do not serve an area without a team, which is shown in their attendances. They are a amalgamation of four sides and the merges were not shenanigans free as far as I know. How far can you take a poorly supported London fringe side, established teams like Brentford and LO struggle financially and Barnet yo-yo in and out of the league.

I know football is a meritocracy, its just a shame the amount of effort put into the club by the likes of John Still didn't happen to a club and area that was more viable.

Got a bit of a soft spot for D&R as New Years day 2004 myself and a few others in our boredom decided to take in Aldershot v D&R which was then a conference fixture with D&R a midtable side and Saints top half of the premier league. We stood in the sparsely populated away end, probably no more than 100 fans although if i remember rightly a decent crowd for a conference game of about 4k. Quite enjoyed the day and have loosely followed their progress ever since. Chuffed they got promoted but if someone had said to me that day we will meet in the league in 7 seasons time you'd have ****ed yourself, as they say, its a funny old game.

Got a bit of a soft spot for D&R as New Years day 2004 myself and a few others in our boredom decided to take in Aldershot v D&R which was then a conference fixture with D&R a midtable side and Saints top half of the premier league. We stood in the sparsely populated away end, probably no more than 100 fans although if i remember rightly a decent crowd for a conference game of about 4k. Quite enjoyed the day and have loosely followed their progress ever since. Chuffed they got promoted but if someone had said to me that day we will meet in the league in 7 seasons time you'd have ****ed yourself, as they say, its a funny old game.

have you been posting on their fans board again ? that was funny

yeah it was, wonder if that young bird still goes, she might be just about legal now :smt045

haha, forgot about her. That was a very friendly family, you going to do the away game next year and try to hunt them down?

Please they got promoted as a new ground, easy away day, but from what I know of Dagenham it isn't the sort of place you'd want to spend much time, drink in london as late as possible then tube (district line) over there, hopefully West Ham wont be at home on the same day.

haha, forgot about her. That was a very friendly family, you going to do the away game next year and try to hunt them down?

Please they got promoted as a new ground, easy away day, but from what I know of Dagenham it isn't the sort of place you'd want to spend much time, drink in london as late as possible then tube (district line) over there, hopefully West Ham wont be at home on the same day.

Yeah might well do that one, going to do a few more away days next season, we'll have to stick a post on their forum before hand to arrange a meet ;o)

Potential for another Leyton Orient style takeover of the ground, but we may only get 1,200 seats behind the goal. (according to internet football grounds)

If D&R aren't gonna sell out - which looks likely given their average crowds - they may be advised to give us another side of the ground!

District Line takes an age to get there by the look of it, so may look for a pub in the area.

Their record attendance is 5k. Think we can help them to beat that next year. I can see another Leyton O here. Their away stand holds 1.2k, saints on the home end again, £70 tickets etc. Could be a good day out.

Doubt the ground still holds 5,000 - very pokey and not great for parking - largely uncovered away end with basic food - at least the last time they were in the conference.

Doubt the ground still holds 5,000 - very pokey and not great for parking - largely uncovered away end with basic food - at least the last time they were in the conference.

that'll be enough to put off a lot on here from going.