£££ - Price Of Petrol - $$$

St Landrew

I'm wondering whether to make this a Sticky on this forum, so members can keep upto date with the cheapest petrol. It has to be of significant interest [or annoyance] to most users of the road, except terribly smug cyclists.

The thing is... what happened to the price of petrol..? 116.9 per litre of ordinary unleaded, at my local Shell garage, in Winchester Road, Soton, today..? I filled up the the VFR [5.5 gallon tank] and it came to £18.66. That'll last me bloody ages. Is this relatively cheap motoring..? I think I'm going to faint.

5 minutes ago [well it seemed like it], I'm sure it was around 122.9 per litre of the same stuff. :confused:

Not that I'm unhappy about it. :) No doubt someone from overseas will come on here and make me depressed again. USA members should make the US to UK gallon adjustment before they gloat. Thank you.

Edited by St Landrew

I receive weekly emails with local petrol price comparisons and almost every week ASDA Chandler's Ford comes out tops.

Personally I prefer to pop down to Tesco's Millbrook station prior to picking up mrs h from work and collect the clubcard points. I have almost enough points now to fly to the moon.

I think that motorway prices should be controlled the robbing so-and-so's.

On a related issue; am I alone in seeing through this BP 'disaster' nonsense? Charge them, fine them, do whatever we like to them, when all the dust has settled who is ultimately going to foot the bill! They'll all sit round a table anyway and make sort out some compo too, best not to get hot under the collar about this sort of thing imo.

Actually (and predictably perhaps) I'd like to point out that on the canals you get to claim a tax split of 60/40 transit/heating on diesel. AND this rule recently changed so that permanent cruisers (like what I hope to be soon) can declare whatever split they wish on an honesty basis (within reason of course). Good times ahead. :D

So visitors coming your way needn't wrap up overly warm eh..? Is that what you're telling the taxman..? ;)

How dare you StL :D Whatever are you suggesting?

Actually as we will be moored up most of the time we probably won;t be using that much for transit (can;t think of the proper word) so a majority will be used for heating and generating electrickery. Still probably be paying more per unit than a houeholder but definitle ybe using much less over all.

Using the engine running hours meter you can do a pretty accurate calculation but I understand that most live aboarders don't bother and stick to the 60/40 split, madness imho.

Back to the petrol price question, here's the website that I am registered with, people should join as it is free and I've never gotten spam from them, just the weekly update:

http://www.petrolprices.com/

As i say, you do have to register but they have a new iPhone App (£2.99) which uses GPS to constantly give the best price to your locality when out and about. Should pay dor itself in no time.

Good moneysaving thread btw. Another good one might be 'Slow The **** Down FFS'

The shell garage at the top of the Portswood bypass had unleaded for 116.9 yesterday

That's another that regularly comes out well in the e-mails.

They also sell LPG which used to be handy for my gas guzzling Range Rover.

Incidentally, the road is called Thomas Lewis Way

Interesting FACT alert!!!

TLW was the scene of the UK's biggest ever street party.

\\:D/:drinkers::supz::smt029:partyman::smt038:smt058:smt113:smt034:smt033:smt044

CORRECTION:

Just checking my interesting facts knowledge base and Thomas Lewis way was in fact the scene of the WORLD'S LARGEST EVER street party!!

Edited by hamster

Ah, petrol prices! Soon to be of interest to me as I'll be driving back from Italy in July. Italy, Switzerland, France, Luxembourg, Belgium and France again. This is to avoid French motorway tolls and French motorway petrol prices. Don't let anyone tell you that petrol is cheaper over here!

• 2 weeks later...

This week's best prices.

115.9pShell Hampton Park

Burgess Road, Southampton, SO17 1TU

Shell, 1.5 miles away, last updated on 22 June

station-asda.png115.9pAsda Eastleigh

Bournemouth Road, Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, SO53 3YJ

Asda, 1.97 miles away, last updated on 23 June

station-shell.png115.9pShell Chandlers Ford

Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Southampton, SO53 2DS

Shell, 3.16 miles away, last updated on 22 June

station-sainsburys.png115.9pSainsburys Lordshill

Lordshill District Centre, Southampton, SO16 8HY

Sainsburys, 4.99 miles away, last updated on 23 June

station-shell.png116.9pShell Swaythling

Thomas Lewis Way, Swaythling, Southampton, SO17 3ED

Shell, 0.38 miles away, last updated on 22 June

I'm wondering whether to make this a Sticky on this forum, so members can keep upto date with the cheapest petrol. It has to be of significant interest [or annoyance] to most users of the road, except terribly smug cyclists.

The thing is... what happened to the price of petrol..? 116.9 per litre of ordinary unleaded, at my local Shell garage, in Winchester Road, Soton, today..? I filled up the the VFR [5.5 gallon tank] and it came to £18.66. That'll last me bloody ages. Is this relatively cheap motoring..? I think I'm going to faint.

5 minutes ago [well it seemed like it], I'm sure it was around 122.9 per litre of the same stuff. :confused:

Not that I'm unhappy about it. :) No doubt someone from overseas will come on here and make me depressed again. USA members should make the US to UK gallon adjustment before they gloat. Thank you.

$3/US gallon = $0.79/litre = £0.53/litre ;)

...USA members should make the US to UK gallon adjustment before they gloat. Thank you.

$3/US gallon = $0.79/litre = £0.53/litre ;)

dam yanks get it cheaper than us...we're quite high at the moment at 69p a litre... :(

I was making the observation that USA members of the forum would obviously gloat when coming on here because their petrol [sorry, gasoline :rolleyes:] price would undoubtedly be much cheaper. But just get it accurate first, before they post the price. Courtesy of Google, here's the factor: 1 Imperial gallon = 1.20095042 US gallons.

I was making the observation that USA members of the forum would obviously gloat when coming on here because their petrol [sorry, gasoline :rolleyes:] price would undoubtedly be much cheaper. But just get it accurate first, before they post the price. Courtesy of Google, here's the factor: 1 Imperial gallon = 1.20095042 US gallons.

The important equation is: 1 US gallon = 3.78541178 litres

The important equation is: 1 US gallon = 3.78541178 litres

Indeed it is, but for us older ones it enables us to visualise the US gallon volume against the UK gallon. I couldn't visualise 3.75 odd litres if you paid me to do it. I was taught both imperial and metric at school, being in that crossover era. But everyday life was imperial in measurement for several years into my adulthood.

Indeed it is, but for us older ones it enables us to visualise the US gallon volume against the UK gallon. I couldn't visualise 3.75 odd litres if you paid me to do it. I was taught both imperial and metric at school, being in that crossover era. But everyday life was imperial in measurement for several years into my adulthood.

wine-saver-pro-wine-preservation-and-serving-system-holds-5-bottles.jpg

5 X 0.75L = 3.75L

HTH :toppa:

My latest from Petrol Prices.com

115.9p Asda Eastleigh

116.9p Chickenhall Service Station

Bishopstoke Road, Eastleigh, Southampton, SO50 6AF

Esso, 1.24 miles away, last updated on 25 June

116.9p Twyford Road Express

Twyford Road, Eastleigh, Southampton, SO50 4HP

Esso, 1.26 miles away, last updated on 25 June

116.9p Shell Chandlers Ford

Shell, 1.64 miles away, last updated on 26 June

116.9p Shell Swaythling

Shell, 2.33 miles away, last updated on 26 June

Edited by EastleighSoulBoy
removing img tags

Esso, 1.24 miles away, last updated on 25 June

I like that etrol station. Surprises me that they don't have a sign up saying Last Petrol Before Motorway, always good prices too.

I have found that, on the whole, Shell petrol stations are bloody competitive, price wise. Pretty sure I remember an ethical reason for why I shouldn't buy from them, but I don't recall exactly what it is, and I'm not looking to find out either. Shell is £116.9 everywhere in Southampton, where I've been.

I was told that the fuel from say Shell was a better product than from the supermarkets. It was said that the supermarkets dont have the same additives and so are not as efficient. That is how they keep the prices down. it was told to me by somebody who works in the industry...no not who works behind the counter!!

Kind of related here i suppose. Does anyone know the practicalities of having your own say 10,000 litre fuel tank on your property? You could buy in bulk your petrol in and save as good as 20ppl on forecourt prices.

I would suspect you would have to live in a rural area and be able to have a bit pit to have the tank stored underground. Diesel would be easier of course

/\

Therre was a van parked down Stoneham way a while back that had a massive plastic tank on it's rof and a sign saying how you could "save £££'s if you had one of these". Not sure if it was aimed at homewoners though.

My latest from Petrolprices.com

114.9p Asda Eastleigh

Asda, 1.87 miles away, last updated on 4 July

Esso, 1.24 miles away, last updated on 4 July

Twyford Road Express

Esso, 1.26 miles away, last updated on 3 July

Shell Chandlers Ford

Shell, 1.64 miles away, last updated on 3 July

116.9p Shell Swaythling

Shell, 2.33 miles away, last updated on 3 July

112.9p Asda Eastleigh

Asda, 1.87 miles away, last updated on 11 July

114.9p Tcs Clock

Chilworth Roundabout, Chilworth, Southampton, SO16 7LQ

Total, 3.01 miles away, last updated on 11 July

114.9p Sainsburys Hedge End

Tollbar Way, Hedge End, Southampton, SO30 2UH

Sainsburys, 4.72 miles away, last updated on 11 July

115.9p Co-op Passfield Avenue

Passfield Avenue, Eastleigh, Southampton, SO50 9NH

Total, 0.45 miles away, last updated on 11 July

115.9p Chickenhall Service Station

• 2 weeks later...

112.9p Asda Eastleigh

Asda, 1.87 miles away, last updated on 21 July

113.9p Shell Chandlers Ford

Shell, 1.64 miles away, last updated on 20 July

114.9p Tcs Clock

Total, 3.01 miles away, last updated on 21 July

114.9p Shell Hampton Park

Shell, 3.22 miles away, last updated on 20 July

114.9p Total/spar Southampton

Hill Lane, Southampton, SO15 7PH

Total, 4.5 miles away, last updated on 21 July

112.9p Asda Eastleigh

Asda, , last updated on 28 July

113.9p Shell Chandlers Ford

Shell, Last updated on 27 July

114.8p Twyford Road Express

Esso, last updated on 27 July

114.9p Shell Hampton Park

Shell, last updated on 27 July

114.9p Tcs Clock

Total, last updated on 28 July

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very clever these 5p off a litre. So you spend £50, probably a lot of people will stretch that far to get the discount voucher when they weren't intending to. Then half the time you have to search for a Sainsbury's petrol station and then when you fill up and put 50 litres in at a price of £60, they give you £2.50 back. So a minimum of £110 and you get £2.50 back - hmmmmm doesn't sound overly generous. It of course attracts people in to the store and obviously Sainsbury's have worked out that people buy things they don't really want/need so that they qualify for the cheaper fuel.

Very clever these 5p off a litre. So you spend £50, probably a lot of people will stretch that far to get the discount voucher when they weren't intending to. Then half the time you have to search for a Sainsbury's petrol station and then when you fill up and put 50 litres in at a price of £60, they give you £2.50 back. So a minimum of £110 and you get £2.50 back - hmmmmm doesn't sound overly generous. It of course attracts people in to the store and obviously Sainsbury's have worked out that people buy things they don't really want/need so that they qualify for the cheaper fuel.

I give my voucher to the cabbie in lieu of a tip.

it is on whole litres only as well, i think you will find

I got one of these Sainsbury's vouchers last night. However the closest petrol station to be is 11.5 miles away and as I never go that way, it would be 23 miles to fill up. As my car does 38mpg ish but probably less than that, I would estimate it would be 2 litres worth, or about the same amount (or most of it) I would save on a full tank, without taking into account my time and cost per mile to drive there. I'll leave the voucher in the car in case I happen to be passing a Sainsbury's petrol station in the next 2 weeks but I somehow think that it won't get used.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheapest diesel I've seen round here is 124.9 at the BP (formerly Shell) garage at the Salisbury end of the Salisbury to Ringwood road. For whatever reason over the last couple of years its been consistently a penny under most prices (even Tesco Shirley was 126.9 this week.)

• 3 weeks later...