Get behind Puncheon!

modern matron

I am beginning to get a little concerned at the animated shouting out at St Marys and negative postings about him. It should be remembered that we've only played 3 games!

I recall similar negative postings about Adam Lallama not so long ago that were similarly unfair and inaccurate. I would accept that Punch is not playing at his peak yet, but he did miss a lot of pre season and in my view did a lot of good things in both games whilst looking rusty.

Confidence is a fragile thing and for so called Saints fans to start the negative stuff so early needs to stop before it causes more damage.

However that shot from him that nearly left the ground has to have been the worst one yet at St Marys! Still I really rate him so GET BEHIND HIM!!!

Noticed a strange thing about Puncheon. I especially noticed in after the Bournemouth game. Nearly all Saints fans were slagging him off saying he was rubbish, whilst Bournemouth fans were saying he was the difference.

Conclusion: F**king frustrating but I couldn't drop him. Always has potential to randomly skin a defender. He's our new Fabrice Fernandes.

I rate him, I like him, however, he had a very poor game on Saturday and so the criticism is justified. Only way fans will get behind him is if he plays well consistently, which is fair enough.

Fair point but frankly we were very unfortunate not to have won easily. Had we have done so none of this would have happened.

I would look at MS and DH first and ask them questions. After their brilliant start they lost control of the midfield and we were never the same. I also thought AL and RL looked rusty. Th exception was LB who was brilliant and very unlucky. I fail to see why the criticism has only been focused at JP....

I am beginning to get a little concerned at the animated shouting out at St Marys and negative postings about him. It should be remembered that we've only played 3 games!

I recall similar negative postings about Adam Lallama not so long ago that were similarly unfair and inaccurate. I would accept that Punch is not playing at his peak yet, but he did miss a lot of pre season and in my view did a lot of good things in both games whilst looking rusty.

Confidence is a fragile thing and for so called Saints fans to start the negative stuff so early needs to stop before it causes more damage.

However that shot from him that nearly left the ground has to have been the worst one yet at St Marys! Still I really rate him so GET BEHIND HIM!!!

I can't remember people slating Adam???

As for Punch and as a full paying customer and a 'so called fan' I think he is poor, he was poor for the last 8 or so games last year and he is poor again this year.

I'm not one for signalling out players with boo's and taunts but, as Pardew says 'if your good enough your old enough; so if your not good enough then...............

i'd like to get behind Jason too with my size nine and give him a kick up the back side.......just like Pardew should be.

The guy has talent no doubt as he showed when he first came here, but so far this season he has opted to play around with the ball too much when he should be crossing it in 1st time, he opts to come in field too much and then either loses the ball cheaply or chooses to shoot wildly Personally I can understand the fans frustrations give Alex a go on Tuesday I say.

Fair point but frankly we were very unfortunate not to have won easily. Had we have done so none of this would have happened.

I would look at MS and DH first and ask them questions. After their brilliant start they lost control of the midfield and we were never the same. I also thought AL and RL looked rusty. Th exception was LB who was brilliant and very unlucky. I fail to see why the criticism has only been focused at JP....[/QUOTE]

Spot on IMO !

i suggested Lallana should've been dropped when he was playing badly and stand by that now. In the same way i think that Puncheon should be shown the bench at the moment too. Not because i think either are bad players, they're clearly not, but to send a message to the players that effort and form are the more important than name, to give players a kick up the arse sometimes you need to treat them harshly.

These are not young lads coming into a side with no experience, they've had full seasons and know the game, it's not about building that fragile confidence but showing them they have to earn their place.

Totally agree about MS and NH too, though i do think that a lot of this goes back to management. For so many players to tire, not look match fit or lose tactical awareness during a game smacks of management problems. I just hope that Pardew (a good manager as shown last season, and by his signings) hasn't lost interest and is just playing out a Burley style season.

I would look at MS and DH first and ask them questions. After their brilliant start they lost control of the midfield and we were never the same. I also thought AL and RL looked rusty. Th exception was LB who was brilliant and very unlucky. I fail to see why the criticism has only been focused at JP....[/QUOTE]

Spot on IMO !

yep, just about right.

I completely agree with the OP, Puncheon's an excellent player - but is suffering from a loss of form at the minute. He's the most skillful player at the club, and has a great eye for a pass (for anyone who disagrees watch back the Plymouth game and Puncheon's reverse ball to put Connolly clean through). He's also got a fantastic left foot and he'll score us a lot of goals this season. His execution and decision making are both lacking at the moment, but those things are a symptom of his lack of form and are temporart.

As for yesterday's performance, I think the fans got so frustrated with him because he saw so much of the ball. I reckon at least 75% of our attacks came down the right side yesterday. Was Lallana any better than Punch yesterday? No, but as he saw less of the ball his performance was under less scrutiny.

Puncheon reminds me a lot of Fabrice Fernandes, left-footed skillful player on the right wing, hogs the ball a lot, frustrates the fans, scores goals out of nowhere. Like Fabrice, deserves his place in the side for his ability to create and unlock defences. He's not 100% fit at the minute and that shows, yes he needsto improve buthe soesn't deserve the stick he's getting

When punch plays well we destroy teams.

Bristol rovers, Huddersfield, Wallsall - he was unplayable during those games. He's a good player but he has struggled with an injury during pre-season so probably isn't as sharp as he'd like to be.

I am reminded of Emanuel Ebouae who was bood off in tears by Arsenal fans only to come back as one of their best players last season... If a footballer is affected by a few jeers, he isn't much of a mental fortress is he...

Oh and I have never in my life hit a shot that has hit the roof of a stadium. And noone pays me £10k a week to fecking do it either!

Edited by Legod Third Coming

wouldn't boo and shout at him but just don't rate him.

cant control a ball

confuses himself about what he is going to do, occasional good cross, but more often than not hits their first man or ends up down blind alley by cutting inside

doesn't hold position well so was causing Ricky to come out wide too often to collect the ball

unproven as div 1 player so little potential imho

i agree ,at least he looks like he can do something rather then the players who hid in the game.

I like him, I think he's a very talented player and I think he's just suffering from missing a key part of pre-season. He's also played left wing most of his career and, whilst he's reasonable on his right foot, AP is now asking him to do something very different by playing out on the right. Playing on the left is something the right-footed Lallana has done for quite a while and I think we need to cut Puncheon some slack, when he's only really played on the right wing for half a season.

I think we all need to accept that different players, at different points of the season are going to be off form. Puncheon and Hammond, in particular, seem to have started that ball rolling. What we need to do as fans, if we want to be successful, is continue to get behind the team at all costs as it can only help longer term. By all means comment about players being off form in the pub after the game but during those 90 minutes lets get behind them 110%!

Pards relies on him a great deal ...and frankly that's why he's under pressure to perform to the max in every game ...any mistakes he makes get picked up on this forum and trawled through endlessly

When he is playing well he's excellent

He doesn't respond well to the crowd on his back...which is something the boo boys at SMS and on here might think about ...but they wont ....sadly!

wouldn't boo and shout at him but just don't rate him.

cant control a ball

confuses himself about what he is going to do, occasional good cross, but more often than not hits their first man or ends up down blind alley by cutting inside

doesn't hold position well so was causing Ricky to come out wide too often to collect the ball

unproven as div 1 player so little potential imho

Sorry I totally disagree. His control is very good. He's probably the most gifted alongside MS that we have got. Frankly there was a lack of movement particularly in the 2nd half that often meant he had to keep running with the ball - maybe a lack of fitness?

Just stick with the guy. H emade the team of the season and has got the lot in my view....

Puncheon will be a bit like Euell, in the eyes of us fans. How many people here hated Euell 3 seasons ago? Yet his last season for us he was awesome. And now he is in the Prem. Give the boy Puncheon some time. He looks good in most areas of skill, but needs to find the final 5%. He'll get there.

lets be honest;

He is a little bit unfortunate that he is always stuck on the right. He is bloody frustrating but he works hard for the team. Being on the left would be far better for him. Start him on the right and AL on the left but they should be swapping more during the game to mix it up a bit. That would help... a bit of variation.

Thought he had a strange game. Often had the ball and looked like he was going to pass to an open player or put someone through. Only to deliberate, swing his leg's over the ball a couple of times and then tended to pelt it into someone's midrift.

Did think the fella behind me who kept sayig unlucky Jase was amusing.

how much did he cost us...quite a lot i think

thought schneidelin was poor yesterday

cant believe all the boos yesterday, disrespectful to the big ml i say

Schneidelin was very poor yesterday. Just came back from playing for France U21 so may have had something to do with it, readjustment, different game-play, knackered etc.

I am reminded of Emanuel Ebouae who was bood off in tears by Arsenal fans only to come back as one of their best players last season... If a footballer is affected by a few jeers, he isn't much of a mental fortress is he...

Oh and I have never in my life hit a shot that has hit the roof of a stadium. And noone pays me £10k a week to fecking do it either!

Never in your life were you good enough to play league football, that's why no one pays you £10k a week.

Sorry I totally disagree. His control is very good. He's probably the most gifted alongside MS that we have got. Frankly there was a lack of movement particularly in the 2nd half that often meant he had to keep running with the ball - maybe a lack of fitness?

Just stick with the guy. H emade the team of the season and has got the lot in my view....

Are you Jason Puncheon?

If we don't get behind Puncheon then we will get what we deserve, f#ck all. The boo boys were wrong about Fabrice Fenandes and it seems the same mistake is happening again, its ironic for a set of fans that got behind the most skilful player in recent times can't give other skilful players the space and time to do their thing.

He was poor in the Plymouth match and poor in much of Saturdays.

He always cuts inside and rarely goes past anybody.

His wild shot resulted in jeers of derision which shows what the home supporters think of him

Its up to him to put it right his weakness has meant we are one sided ,

Lets hope he comes good cant say AP aint backing him

I got frustrated with him last season when he'd get into a good position and then look to go all the way rather than play an easier ball in to Lambert or whoever.

But then in an interview last season Pardew said that he'd briefed the player to have a go whenever he could.

Someone said he reminded them of a lower league Fabrice Fernades - no a bad shout that .

It is the lot in life of players like Jason Puncheon who will consistently raise fans expectations by beating their man and breaking into the box - only to dash those very same expectations when they can't finish the move off - that they receive perhaps more than their fair share of criticism from frustrated fans . It remains my view that this player is no more or less than a good-to-average wide player at this level .

As others have accurately observered Puncheon will tend to cut inside rather than take the ball to the line and cross it - just like Fernandes did . Unfortunately as much of our goal threat depends upon providing Ricky Lambert (surely the target man par excellence) with enough decent crosses this tendency of his (and Lallana for that matter) is a problem for us . Most wide players in the modern game (at all levels) seem to do exactly the same thing - which leads me to believe that crossing the ball from the by-line is a harder skill to master than it would seem to be .