Your help needed (Markus Liebherr Tribute) - DONATIONS SITE NOW LIVE

JustMike

I estimated that the width of one block would be 15m, hence the suggestion of 15x10m - Minty has the stadium plans, so hopefully he will be able to confirm the dimensions!

I know that you are advertising it as a surfer flag, but I would think it would be very difficult to pass around the stands without getting out of shape - I was thinking that we would have a team of 6 or 8 running up the stairs either side of a block to unveil the flag, to ensure it is displayed properly. A big consideration should be wind, as it would be very easy for a gust to lift a sheet that large into the air!

Mike, I was already in discussions with the club (Marketing director) earlier this season about improving the matchday experience and atmosphere - would you be happy to have a face-to-face meeting with the club to discuss both matters? I made some suggestions and was told they could not be implemented mid-season, but they would be happy to meet with 'influential' fans during the close season.

As Nicola has kindly offered to meet any shortfall but many fans would like to keep it funded by us alone, perhaps we could target the cost of the flag to by met by donations, then ask Nicola to pay for any additional materials to decorate an entire stand?:

southamptonchapelstand.jpg

The UI article is right, and so are we! Mike has said all along that this is a memorial fund, with the flag being the initial plan - if there is enough interest, the fund raising need not stop once we reach the target. Everybody wants something permanent at the stadium to remember Markus by, but the final decision on that will always be Nicola's, and I wouldn't want the fans to push something on him. I will keep hoping for a memorial garden with a simple plaque – I think that would be the most suitable tribute to the man and his character.

On the matter of donations, it would be great to organise a bucket collection, but this would have to be organised through the club as we don't have a licence – too late now unfortunately. Hopefully we can capitalise on the football vacuum over the summer by getting support from players and media to spread the word. That said, the more cash we can get the better, as currently from each £10 donation, 50p is currently going to the PayPal/eBay empire!

Mike, perhaps a FAQ could be an addition to the site (and edit to the original post)? You're the boss with everybody's blessing on this, so please just use this as my opinion on the issues!

What is the aim of the memorial fund?

To initially raise funds for a flag to be displayed at St Mary's, then work towards other tributes to Markus, whether they be a one-off, temporary, or permanent.

How much will the flag cost?

We are currently in negotiations with several companies to supply the flag, but are targeting an initial figure of £6000.

Who will own the flag/where will it be stored/when will it be displayed?

We will be in discussions with the club in the coming weeks to ensure all legal and safety issues are considered, but we would hope that the flag will be stored at the stadium and released to be used on designated 'flag days' to mark special anniversaries and important occasions. Display at away days may be considered.

What will it look like?

All contributors will be invited to submit and vote on a final design shortly.

How much will it weigh?

The fabric will be around 150g per square metre, so a 20x15m flag will be approx 45kg – manageable by 1 or 2 people.

If Nicola Cortese has agreed to fund any shortfall, why should I contribute?

We are aiming to have the flag as a tribute from the fans, and will continue to raise funds until the target is met. Nicola's backing ensures the flag can be ordered and paid for on time.

What sort of scale of flag are we talking about?

This Sunderland flag is 15x9M – we are targeting 20x15M!

good idea RE the FAQ's, will get onto that soon.

As for the surfer flag bit, Liverpool and Stoke seem to manage it no problem but again these are items I will be discussing with the club over the coming weeks. My main aim at this stage is to raise the funds.

Great work Mike!

Really good to see someone put their head above the parapet and have the balls to take on the project.

Fair play.

I have copied your message & website onto our Supporters Group, and have already received message that folks have contributed.

Keep up the good work.

RIP Markus

Great job Mike, well done. £20 donated.

Will have the tissues ready as it's going to be an emotional time seeing the flag unfurled.

Thank you Markus for saving our club, we are eternally grateful .

Julie and Mark K

Don't know if its already been mentioned, and i'm not telling you how to suck eggs, but make sure you get a fire certificate for the flag.

Back in the Lowe era, the club used the fact we didnt have a fire cert to refuse us entry into the ground with the "Lowe Out" banner.

The company that are making the flag will probably be able to help.

Don't know if its already been mentioned, and i'm not telling you how to suck eggs, but make sure you get a fire certificate for the flag.

Back in the Lowe era, the club used the fact we didnt have a fire cert to refuse us entry into the ground with the "Lowe Out" banner.

The company that are making the flag will probably be able to help.

already sorted

Dont know if has been posted already but I have been told that the club hope to have Mrs Liebherr at the game so all the tribute efforts will go down very well the last few away games I have been at there have prolonged chants for Marcus Brentford being a good example.

It will be good to show our warmth & respect for the man that saved the Saints.

Was looking at the comments section and can't see mine posted - I don't really mind but will there be a list somewhere of all the donors?

which comments do you mean? the ones via paypal? Yes, there will be a list of donors when i get round to putting the 300 odd so far in a list

Total raised to date...£3008.10. So who donated the 10p?

That's the easy bit done, the first £3000, raising the other half may be a bit tougher now as some would have switched off for the summer.

Time to give your mates a nudge who "haven't got round to it yet". We've probably got 2 months now to raise the remainder in time for the new season.

Well done Mike, keep up the good work.

Total raised to date...£3008.10. So who donated the 10p?

That's the easy bit done, the first £3000, raising the other half may be a bit tougher now as some would have switched off for the summer.

Time to give your mates a nudge who "haven't got round to it yet". We've probably got 2 months now to raise the remainder in time for the new season.

Well done Mike, keep up the good work.

yes, exactly. I keep sharing the FB page and need others to do the same.

Has this project been brought to the attention of the Echo,

If we say the average donation so far is a tenner, that's just 300 people who've put towards the flag. There's a lot more out there that need it bought to their attention, encouraging the Echo to feature the campaign would be a positive move.

any thoughts or suggestions on how to raise more? Donations have dried up somewhat so need to either raise awearness by other means or some other form of fundraising

Did anything come of your meeting with The Echo?

In the Pink today! On the front cover and article with interview on page 3! Good to see the news is spreading!!

Hopefully they'll also cover it in the 'Daily' as readership of the 'Pink' probably falls away at this time of the year. A similar feature during the week should get the ball rolling again.

Sterling work Mike.

any thoughts or suggestions on how to raise more? Donations have dried up somewhat so need to either raise awearness by other means or some other form of fundraising

Mike find out if this forum has functionality to flash message/PM all members? On another forum I use, every now and then when you visit it there's a message comes up in the middle of the screen saying 'the moderators would like you to see this message' which then links to a thread.

We've raised over £3000 so far, so kudos to those who have put their hands in their pockets, BUT we have almost 9,000 members, just on this forum, so there are a lot of members on here who haven’t donated yet. Maybe they haven’t seen the thread? Maybe they don’t visit the forum much? If a PM could be sent to everyone maybe that’d help?