Your help needed (Markus Liebherr Tribute) - DONATIONS SITE NOW LIVE

JustMike

I obviously missed that then. Still think you should have kept NC's offer quiet though.

maybe, i did look at it from another viewpoint in that if people saw that the club were 100% behind it they would be more happy to give money to a website other than the OS, a kind of trust thing. Still, £4000 in the short time it has been running is brilliant

maybe, i did look at it from another viewpoint in that if people saw that the club were 100% behind it they would be more happy to give money to a website other than the OS, a kind of trust thing. Still, £4000 in the short time it has been running is brilliant

Unfortunately a few comments on this thread have proved otherwise. Still, great work to get near on £4,000. Hopefully the charity gig helps towards that too.

Still, £4000 in the short time it has been running is brilliant

It is and you deserve a lot of credit for it.

Just a shame the Echo doesn't appear to have seen past their petty differences with Cortese enough to give it the coverage it deserved so more people could have been made more aware.

Mike, I would recommend getting the best deal you can with the money you have now. People have had more than enough time to donate, and clearly if you want it ready for the Memorial Cup, you're going to have to move pretty sharpish anyway, I'd have thought.

It's only because Cortese said "I'll make up the shortfall" that you've set such a big target anyway, but this isn't about him, it's something from the fans.

Exactly. If NC hadn't said go for as big a flag as possible and that he'd make up any short-fall, would we be more than happy with the amount raised so far and the flag that could be bought with it? Is the total not now inflated because of this and not really a "short-fall" in terms of donations from fans? Having said all that, I'm all for being ambitious with stuff like that and there is no point for settling for half-measures.

Shame that the thread discussing designs had to come to such a head. All the best with getting something together Mike, hope the final stages of getting this to fruition aren't such a ballache. Looking forward to seeing whichever design is chosen come the first day of the season.

Shame that the thread discussing designs had to come to such a head. All the best with getting something together Mike, hope the final stages of getting this to fruition aren't such a ballache. Looking forward to seeing whichever design is chosen come the first day of the season.

Agreed. Can`t we just get on with it now? Mike, as the instigator of this excellent initiative you are perfectly entitled to choose whatever design you feel best meets the aims of this tribute. (The trouble with consulting people is that they all come up with different opinions.)

for the record..i requested it locked because it's clear we were getting no-where fast, and could see it getting worse. I have plenty of food for thought, and some good ideas now, which was the whole point of the thread. Thanks to those that contributed

for the record..i requested it locked because it's clear we were getting no-where fast, and could see it getting worse. I have plenty of food for thought, and some good ideas now, which was the whole point of the thread. Thanks to those that contributed

You are doing a great job. Do not lose the faith and keep up he good work. Lot's of people are behind you on this one.

I do think that Mikes avatar should be 'headless' by now, as it is it makes me crease up, but after this flag dilemma I can see nother but a headless chicken....!!! But seriously, great effort Mike - well done.

Mike, once a design has been decided it may be a good time to tap up the Echo again. If we could show what will be a finished product it may inspire a few more to donate. You could mention the amount raised to date that will get a flag of (whatever) size but if 'x' amount more could be raised we could get the real big one. I'm sure we'd then get there.

And the more I think about it the more I hope NC doesn't have to contribute. This should solely be a fans gesture in appreciation to Markus, it wouldn't look great for his family to see the thousands of Saints fans out there couldn't raise enough. More just need to be made aware of the effort.

Mike, once a design has been decided it may be a good time to tap up the Echo again. If we could show what will be a finished product it may inspire a few more to donate. You could mention the amount raised to date that will get a flag of (whatever) size but if 'x' amount more could be raised we could get the real big one. I'm sure we'd then get there.

And the more I think about it the more I hope NC doesn't have to contribute. This should solely be a fans gesture in appreciation to Markus, it wouldn't look great for his family to see the thousands of Saints fans out there couldn't raise enough. More just need to be made aware of the effort.

Good thinking behind the echo comment. Really could do with getting some publicity from them.

Maybe we can see NC's offer as more of a interest free loan. Take what we have an have NC put forward the rest, then on the first outing of the flag have the announcer make it clear we need more funds towards it, promote the website and encourage the fans to donate towards THEIR tribute. Maybe make that the last ditch attempt.

I think one problem is that there are many many saints fans, that won't read the local paper, or not be on this website. I know you are doing a fantastic job with this Mike and every Saints fan will be very thankful for that. But, for example, my dad, doesn't know anything about it. Is there any chance of it being publicised more with your detailsso people can contact you directly. Has anything been put on the OS/daily echo websites. Maybe even try and get something on the bbc saints page. Just feel it needs a bit more advertising and then the money would roll in. Especially if you can give an example as to the final design like someone previously said! Good luck Mike and thankyou, I will be donating on payday!!

yep, already planned after the last interview, good thinking with mentioning how much we have etc

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed. Can`t we just get on with it now? Mike, as the instigator of this excellent initiative you are perfectly entitled to choose whatever design you feel best meets the aims of this tribute. (The trouble with consulting people is that they all come up with different opinions.)

I think the danger is that Mikey really doesn't have a clue what he's doing. Aside from starting the ball rolling on the collections, his constant chopping and changing his mind on the flag design thread, being easily swayed by others and so on, this whole thing now seems rather amateurish. If we're not careful, this has Ted Bates Statue #1 written all over it. I'm already half expecting a spelling mistake or Che Guevara to appear on the flag and it go unnoticed until its first pass around at St Marys.

I think the danger is that Mikey really doesn't have a clue what he's doing. Aside from starting the ball rolling on the collections, his constant chopping and changing his mind on the flag design thread, being easily swayed by others and so on, this whole thing now seems rather amateurish. If we're not careful, this has Ted Bates Statue #1 written all over it. I'm already half expecting a spelling mistake or Che Guevara to appear on the flag and it go unnoticed until its first pass around at St Marys.

Constant chopping and changing? We had a design idea, saw it in print, hated it. Started a thread for ideas, liked a few of them, have gone with a variation of one. Didn't notice your input or suggestion anywhere?

Why don't you lend a hand, say thanks to Mike for all his hard work, or just shut the **** up?

There are those that do and those that dont.

There are those who criticise and those who help.

Easy to make sweeping statements from behind a keyboard about being amateurish isn't it ?

Pathetic.

Why is this thread no longer a sticky ? Isn't this quite an important topic ?

The thread was removed at the request of Mike (who started the thread). I believe he thought he had enough input and ideas from here to progress with the design. To be fair, some people were getting quite abusive and belligerent about the design, comparing it with the original Ted Bates statue amongst other things. Its a flag! Most people seemed grateful that Mike had done as much work as he had and that the finished product would be a suitable tribute.

The thread was removed at the request of Mike (who started the thread). I believe he thought he had enough input and ideas from here to progress with the design. To be fair, some people were getting quite abusive and belligerent about the design, comparing it with the original Ted Bates statue amongst other things. Its a flag! Most people seemed grateful that Mike had done as much work as he had and that the finished product would be a suitable tribute.

Agreed, but it would be nice if Mike could give us all some sort of update. It's not long to the first game of the season.

He said the site would remain open for donations for future projects

Probably got fed up of the SWF bedwetters

I would guess that the flag would now be in production, therefore there would be no justification to keep a 'please donate' website up anymore.

Would be good for a tribute site to remain mind.

Some people (including myself) know who mike is off here. No one has been fleeced.

Just had a look on Just Mikes 'One Markus Liebherr' facebook page, and on the 29th June he posted this:

Just a week and a half left to raise as much as we can before we have to order the flag. Please donate and spread the word.

That would suggest all is in control, the fundraising is over and now NC has to top up the rest.

Looking forward to seeing our flag!

Well done Just Mike

sorry guys been very busy. Had meeting with club last week to finalise everything. I was attempting to raise the total amount via other means (gigs etc) but on talking to the club they suggested just taking what we had raised, topped up to the £6k mark by them and get it done in time for the memorial game. (future use is at the discretion of the club) The flag is in production as we speak. I also bought (out of my own pocket) a smaller 6' x 3' flag of the same design which I have donated to the Saints Foundation for them to auction off, with the players signatures on.

A big thanks to everyone that donated, we raised just shy of £4000, which when you consider was made up largly of bids around the £5-£10 it's pretty good going. And also to Baj for allowing me to host the site for free.

The next time I decide to do something like this, can someone please slap me and remind me what a major headache it is ;)

sorry guys been very busy. Had meeting with club last week to finalise everything. I was attempting to raise the total amount via other means (gigs etc) but on talking to the club they suggested just taking what we had raised, topped up to the £6k mark by them and get it done in time for the memorial game. (future use is at the discretion of the club) The flag is in production as we speak. I also bought (out of my own pocket) a smaller 6' x 3' flag of the same design which I have donated to the Saints Foundation for them to auction off, with the players signatures on.

A big thanks to everyone that donated, we raised just shy of £4000, which when you consider was made up largly of bids around the £5-£10 it's pretty good going. And also to Baj for allowing me to host the site for free.

The next time I decide to do something like this, can someone please slap me and remind me what a major headache it is ;)

It shall be well worth all the hard work though Mike. Great effort!

Well done Mike and be proud of your efforts for Markus and the Saints, (ignore the smart 4rse comments, their comments reflect their small minds)

Good news Mike - well done.

I'd like to know the cost of a 6' x 3', or even 8' x 4' banner. I have a design ready.

We have a huge (ex FLYBE) blank red wall in front of our seats (behind the disabled seating) in Chapel, I did a big 'Danke schon Markus' banner last year but it went along with all the other tributes to Markus.