Ammar Jemal

Super Carlton

Good post ,imo.

agreed, and this one as well;

Exactly right; I don't know where St Richmond learnt to add up, but it all slots into place as far as I can see.

QPR have signed Danny Gabbidon this summer.

Dan Sh*ttu has signed a new contract with QPR.

Saints apparently made an equiry for Gorkss a couple of months ago but were rebuffed.

Warnock needs to replace Wayne Routledge and wants Jason Puncheon, having commented on him

Warnock however cannot spend huge sums of cash so must move players on before bringing others in; hence the "swap" offer for Puncheon/Gorkss.

Seems to make perfect sense.

Pretty dissapointed with our failure to get deals done to be honest.....

Billy Sharp - couldn't agree terms....

Jemal - couldn't agree terms...

not saying we ahould give in but come on....2 players in before the first game is a poor return considering we have had over 3 months since we have been promoted...

Starting to getting annoyed....happy to pay your extra ticket costs saints, but get some quality players in please...my ROI is not good considering we are watching a league 1 team again this season

shame as we are 2-3 players from being a play off team

You are aware that many many players don't agree terms. It is not unusual and only 2 players out of how many? Let's think...

Lambert, Barnard, Connolly, Forte, De Ridder, Hammond, Chaplow, Dickson, Butterield, Richardson, Fonte, Seabourne, Jaidi, Martin......

I mean, we could go on, but, I think I've made my point.

Honestly, I think it is that these players think they are bigger than a small club like us in the second tier but see it as an opportunity to get in on the Premiership gravy train and get seen. With this young boys guy, he tried negotiating without his agent, he tried to get us to pay something that wasn't in the contract, this was his words. We told him the deal would be with his current club and previous club, which is also true. We didn't sign this charlatan because he was trying to pull a fast one, so, of course he doesn't view Cortese well, he didn't take his bull and the guy thinks he's worth it. And, if this is the case, well played NC, Thankyou.

As for Billy, not sure whether to stay or go Sharp, looks like he burnt his lot as well and he knows how much we're willing to pay, he wants more, not NC's fault. Sharp obviously likes his current salary at Donny, and good for him. Still not down to NC.

So, with all those great players we have signed, the players we are trying to sign, should be in the mould of Fonte, jack Cork and De Ridder, and many more. They WANT to be here. Sure, use us as a stepping stone, but realise you are at a Championship club with Championship wages, BUT with very good amenities and facilities, playing on a good pitch in front of a good crowd. Come and show us how good you are!

So, let's stop bashing NC for not signing players that obviously don't want to be here. Let's applaud him for not doing a Harry and signing lots of s**t for mega wages.

Exactly right; I don't know where St Richmond learnt to add up, but it all slots into place as far as I can see.

Saints apparently made an equiry for Gorkss a couple of months ago but were rebuffed.

Warnock needs to replace Wayne Routledge and wants Jason Puncheon, having commented on him

Warnock however cannot spend huge sums of cash so must move players on before bringing others in; hence the "swap" offer for Puncheon/Gorkss.

Sorry, but from what you have said, it DOES add up

Gabbidon in, Gorkss out

Tha IMHO, only reinforces my earlier point that although Gorkss was their "Rock" last season, Warnock realises he won't cut it in the Prem, due to age/ legs etc ( You do NOT sell your best defender ) With Gabbidon arriving, he no longer is their best defender

Therfore (again IMHO) Gorkss may very well be OK for US in the CCC this season, but would have to be replaced should we get promoted again

Tha IMHO, only reinforces my earlier point that although Gorkss was their "Rock" last season, Warnock realises he won't cut it in the Prem, due to age/ legs etc ( You do NOT sell your best defender ) With Gabbidon arriving, he no longer is their best defender

Therfore (again IMHO) Gorkss may very well be OK for US in the CCC this season, but would have to be replaced should we get promoted again

Possibly may have to be replaced, but we'll worry about that when we get to the prem. For now, this deal is too good to pass up IMO. We get rid of a total nut-job, gain 400/500k and a top championship defender.

Potentially the best deal this summer...

Gabbidon in, Gorkss out

Which would suit me perfectly!

Gabbidon in, Gorkss out

Why are you worrying about what players we'll need in the Premier League? We're not in it yet, I do hope you realise that? Our Chairman even has a 3 year plan to get there, rather than your suggestion of 1. And if we do get there, we do have the option of replacing him you know?!

By your rationale we wouldn't sign any players, just in case we get promoted and they're not good enough for the league above.

EDIT: Well that was a waste of my time! Cheers everyone above, nice to see some of us are on the same (logical) page.

Gabbidon in, Gorkss out

Whats your point ? As I certainly don't see us getting promoted this year ??

And FWIW if we went into the prem there are plenty of players we would need to replace.

Gabbidon in, Gorkss out

So, everyone's in wild agreement then. i.e. that Gorkss CDAJFU this season....?

Whats your point ? As I certainly don't see us getting promoted this year ??

And FWIW if we went into the prem there are plenty of players we would need to replace.

This.

That said, we might, (just might,) be this seasons wild card for promotion, who knows?......

We don't know the true financial implications for Saints. A bit like Jack Cork must have cost us £750k. The true cost could be substantially more with add ons etc. Also, how do we know that this sell on to the Tunisian club wouldn't have boosted the figure further or certainly increased the figures. If I was trying to sign a player or employ someone and they were pushing hard for me to pay their original club (not YB) or a company they had worked for previously, I would probably tell them to get ******.

If I was Cortese I would feel (probably wrongly) that there were more concerned about the welfare of their old club than their new one and whilst I almost respect him to a degree because he is trying generate funds to that club after he is long gone, I am not interested in them. I'm interested in SFC and getting to the PL.

As others have said the Gorkess/Puncheaon deal probably has a lot to do with it. If Adkins really wanted Jemar and the other deal was not in the background, I would suspect Cortese would be a bit more accomadating. But either way he can throw a tantrum somewhere else not here.

Gorkss is easily good enough for Championship football. Thats obvious and beyond dispute.

I query whether we need him though because he is a younger Raidhi type player - big and muscular and slow but puts his head in where it hurts. Jemmal on the other hand is "probably" a more complete footballer plus younger. They are two completely different types of player. If Raidhi had been released i could understand a swoop for Gorks- but with our Tunisian man mountain still in the squad it feels less of an imperative. I could be wrong though and maybe we need two big strong CB's in the squad just like we want to have two of all the other positions.

My gut feel is that the resigning of Raidhi meant that we are sorted for "that" type of player, but that Nigel is keen to get a more ballplaying CB at number 5, perhaps prompted by Jose telling him that neither Martin not Seaborne are fully up to the job in the Championship this year. Alternately Gorkss and Raidhi could take turns partnering Jose with Seabourne/Martin only get on when theres an injury or suspension to the main three. In which case one of those at least will go out on loan very quickly i suspect.

PS. I would also venture to suggest that Gorkss would only come to Saints for bid money- i watched his interview last week on QPR player in which he talks about his friends and family joshing him about all the top forwards he will be playing against in the EPL....he looks like a proud man so to be pushed out as a part-ex and stay in the CCC must hurt....a bitter blow only softenable by a big chunk of cash and salary.As far as i know thats not our usual strong suit..so i dont think we will see him at Saints. Which would be a shame. Gorks and Fonte=job done in middle defence against leeds et al fer sure........

Edited by Giordano
sp/name edit

Gorkss is easily good enough for Championship football. Thats obvious and beyond dispute.

I query whether we need him though because he is a younger Raidhi type player - big and muscular and slow but puts his head in where it hurts. Jemmal on the other hand is "probably" a more complete footballer plus younger. They are two completely different types of player. If Raidhi had been released i could understand a swoop for Gorks- but with our Tunisian man mountain still in the squad it feels less of an imperative. I could be wrong though and maybe we need two big strong CB's in the squad just like we want to have two of all the other positions.

My gut feel is that the resigning of Raidhi meant that we are sorted for "that" type of player, but that Nigel is keen to get a more ballplaying CB at number 5, perhaps prompted by Jose telling him that neither Martin not Seaborne are fully up to the job in the Championship this year. Alternately Gorkss and Raidhi could alternate with Jose and seabourne/aaron only get on when theres an injury or suspension to the main three. In which case one at least will go out on loan very quickly i suspect.

Personally I've only felt we needed 1 CB. We have the cultured and easy on the eye CB with Fonte, we needed someone with the same attributes as Jaidi - but younger, Gorrks gives us that.

TBF to Jamel what I read about him was that he was also a Jaidi type/physical CB, so it's clear that we're probably looking to replace Jaidi long-term in that sense.

Spot on!!!

Bizarre reason for not signing - wanting to know the transfer fee - if true! What difference does that make unless his signing on fee is a percentage of the transfer fee and he doesn't believe what we're telling him?!

If signing on fee was linked to the transfer fee then both figures I'm sure would and should be in the contract for protection of all parties.

The operative word being WAS

Allegedly, he WAS QPR's "Rock" LAST season

He is now one year older, and although Warnock supposedly rates him very highly as one of their best players. he can't wait to get rid of him

AT best, we can only realistically expect to get ONE season out of him. Should we go up again, we will find ourselves in the same predicament as QPR are now, having a "great" player whose legs have gone

Warnock has not said he can't wait to get rid of him. Maybe his priority is a winger more so than keeping a CB having signed Gabbidon. Also he could simply believe Gorkks is not good enough for PL but clearly is more than good enough for NPC. It does not mean his legs have gone or we will only get one season from him at all. Warncok is looking to strengthen his defence with proven PL players by the look of it.

Once again, whats your point ??

And I wonder if Warnock has realised that............oh he has.

Well done for basically blowing your arguement out of the water though.

Exactly what argument was that then ??

IMHO Gorkss, in Warnocks opinion, won't cut it in the Prem ( why else would he get Gabbidon, and be prepared to off load Gorkss on us ? )

So we get Gorkss, who IMHO, would only be good enough for us for one season

Where is the argument in that ??

Pretty dissapointed with our failure to get deals done to be honest.....

Billy Sharp - couldn't agree terms....

Jemal - couldn't agree terms...

not saying we ahould give in but come on....2 players in before the first game is a poor return considering we have had over 3 months since we have been promoted...

Starting to getting annoyed....happy to pay your extra ticket costs saints, but get some quality players in please...my ROI is not good considering we are watching a league 1 team again this season

shame as we are 2-3 players from being a play off team

Why? Should we roll over as and when a player asks for more than we want to give?

I've already asked him this.

He ignored me as well.

People with agenda's often do such things.

Sorry, I was not ignoring you

To my knowledge, Adkins mentioned no-one by name, but he deffinitely said that there would definitely be another signing before the Leeds game,

At the time Jemal was the only player on Saints radar, so he may have anticipated it being him.

Adkin's intimated that a "New player" was virtually done and dusted. It isn't. I do not blame Adkins/Cortese, or anyone for this, but, as I said, I think Adkins will think twice before "announcing" imminent signings in the future

Sorry, I was not ignoring you

To my knowledge, Adkins mentioned no-one by name, but he deffinitely said that there would definitely be another signing before the Leeds game,

Adkin's intimated that a "New player" was virtually done and dusted. It isn't. I do not blame Adkins/Cortese, or anyone for this, but, as I said, I think Adkins will think twice before "announcing" imminent signings in the future

No he didn't. If he did I'd like you to show me where he did, because I think you have just made that up.

At the time Jemal was the only player on Saints radar, so he may have anticipated it being him.

Secondly how do you know "Jemal was the only player on Saints radar"? I think that is extremely unlikely.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Although he never stated there would be a signing he strongly suggested one was imminent in his interview pre WBA, he also said at the weekend to 'expect some movement over the weekend' - this is why we have assumed something was imminent, he never said definite on any occasion

Exactly what argument was that then ??

IMHO Gorkss, in Warnocks opinion, won't cut it in the Prem ( why else would he get Gabbidon, and be prepared to off load Gorkss on us ? )

So we get Gorkss, who IMHO, would only be good enough for us for one season

Where is the argument in that ??

Well, there's two parts to why that's a misguided statment.

First, why is he here for only one season? We're not promoted yet, we haven't even kicked a ball in anger. IF we get promoted, then we would then have to look at getting a replacement player. If we don't get promoted this year, then we have a first team player for the following season. So it would clearly be a signing for more than one season.

Secondly, even if we do get promoted, why is it such a bad idea to buy a player who can assure us of that promotion. TV money and prize money in the Premier League is worth upwards of £60M a year. So, from a financial point of view, even if we got there and let him sit on his arse for 3 more years, it would be money well spent.

I really don't understand your logic of not wanting to buy someone because he might not be good enough for the division above, it really doesn't make sense. At all.

No he didn't. If he did I'd like you to show me where he did, because I think you have just made that up.

Secondly how do you know "Jemal was the only player on Saints radar"? I think that is extremely unlikely.

No I did not make that up

I am sure that, at an after the match interview, he DID say that he was expecting ONE player in by the Leeds game. possibly two. On one of these threads, someone else made the same reference

Re Jemel ??? I was not aware that Saints were in negotiations with any other player

Well, there's two parts to why that's a misguided statment.

First, why is he here for only one season? We're not promoted yet, we haven't even kicked a ball in anger. IF we get promoted, then we would then have to look at getting a replacement player. If we don't get promoted this year, then we have a first team player for the following season. So it would clearly be a signing for more than one season.

Secondly, even if we do get promoted, why is it such a bad idea to buy a player who can assure us of that promotion. TV money and prize money in the Premier League is worth upwards of £60M a year. So, from a financial point of view, even if we got there and let him sit on his arse for 3 more years, it would be money well spent.

I really don't understand your logic of not wanting to buy someone because he might not be good enough for the division above, it really doesn't make sense. At all.

Where did I say don't buy him ??

No I did not make that up

I am sure that, at an after the match interview, he DID say that he was expecting ONE player in by the Leeds game. possibly two. On one of these threads, someone else made the same reference

"Expecting" and "definitely said that there would definitely be another signing before the Leeds game", are two very different things.

Re Jemel ??? I was not aware that Saints were in negotiations with any other player

You made a statement, "At the time Jemal was the only player on Saints radar".

A fan not being aware of a clubs transfer activity, does not mean he is the only player on the clubs radar.

Edited by Matthew Le God

You must be a perfect simpleton, a child could understand!

It would be better to get someone who is good enough for the league above.

Why aren't we going for Champions League players FFS?

Some good posts here. I think something is going to happen very soon and there will be a twist, something we haven't even thought of. I don't believe solent know what is going on. I reckon we will still sign Maynard too.

Strangely i still think this a goer also.

I posted such reasoning on another thread.

Can't remember which however.

"Expecting" and "definitely said that there would definitely be another signing before the Leeds game" as you said, are two very different things.

You made a statement, "At the time Jemal was the only player on Saints radar".

A fan not being aware of a clubs transfer activity, does not mean he is the only player on the clubs radar.

As you are obviously far more in the know than Adkins and Cortese, I bow to your superior intellect

Pray tell us all about all the thousands of others that Saints have been bidding for and have been in negotiations with

Pray tell us who is leaving and who is coming to St Mary's

Tell us now oh Elf Lord, it will save the rest of us coming on here

As you are obviously far more in the know than Adkins and Cortese, I bow to your superior intellect

Pray tell us all about all the thousands of others that Saints have been bidding for and have been in negotiations with

Pray tell us who is leaving and who is coming to St Mary's

Tell us now oh Elf Lord, it will save the rest of us coming on here

How have you managed to switch this around? :D

It was you that claimed Jemal was the "only player on Saints radar", not me.

I haven't a clue who Saints are trying to buy, have on any shortlist/radar etc etc. You however implied that you do.

How have you managed to switch this around? :D

It was you that claimed Jemal was the "only player on Saints radar", not me.

I haven't a clue who Saints are trying to buy, have on any shortlist/radar etc etc. You however implied that you do.

I thought this site was for FANS to exchange views and OPINIONS

By saying an opinion, I don't expect to be cross examined by Perry F'ing Mason every time to provide proof that a 12 man Jury would accept

It was my OPINION that, at the time, Jemel was the only player that Saints were seriously interested in, within radar distance

I "claimed" that Jemel was the only one at the time on Saints radar. No, I didn't "claim" that. It was just my OPINION expressed on here

I obviously was not aware that you need to have Queen's Counsel standing by, should my OPINIONS not be agreed with

Good job this Forum is for Saints Fans, otherwise I'd really be in the Sh"t

I did not know more than that, I did not know less than that . WHY ? Because I don't work for SFC, and just pick up on gossip like the rest of us do

OK, in that case please explain what the Hell "As a result we don't have English or European football in the Prem and this is perculating down to the Football League." means because it is totally meaningless to me.

He means "there are lots of non-English, non-EU foreigners in the Prem, and now lots of them are turning up in the Championship as well". I assume "perculating" was meant to be "percolating" but even that's pretty weird terminology, it's not exactly trickledown theory.

I thought this site was for FANS to exchange views and OPINIONS

By saying an opinion, I don't expect to be cross examined by Perry F'ing Mason every time to provide proof that a 12 man Jury would accept

It was my OPINION that, at the time, Jemel was the only player that Saints were seriously interested in, within radar distance

I "claimed" that Jemel was the only one at the time on Saints radar. No, I didn't "claim" that. It was just my OPINION expressed on here

I obviously was not aware that you need to have Queen's Counsel standing by, should my OPINIONS not be agreed with

Good job this Forum is for Saints Fans, otherwise I'd really be in the Sh"t

I did not know more than that, I did not know less than that . WHY ? Because I don't work for SFC, and just pick up on gossip like the rest of us do

What was the opinion based on?

What was the opinion based on?

I think it was based on the fact that Saints announced that they expected to sign one or two players before the Leeds game.

From that, I believe Saint Richmond deduced that Saints were only seriously interested in Jemal, and no-one else.

Jemal is hot-headed and it remains to be seen whether he is stubborn enough to see this through. From what I have heard I suspect he is. The deal is not dead but looks highly unlikley now. Shame, he is a decent player although he does have the potential to disrupt squad harmony. Jaidi is right, this does look unprofessional and we all know how professionally our club is being run nowadays.

I think it was based on the fact that Saints announced that they expected to sign one or two players before the Leeds game.

From that, I believe Saint Richmond deduced that Saints were only seriously interested in Jemal, and no-one else.

Correct .... can someone point this out to MLG ???

As regards Jemal, I only know one FACT

On Sat 23rd July ( The Leibherr Triangular), Mr Cortese was heard to tell someone that Jemal had passed his medical, and that they (IE Saints), were waiting for him to make his mind up whether or not he wanted to join us

(At the time Stoke were interested ) I did voice my OPINION on here that Jemal was waiting for a better offer from Stoke ..... Proof ??? None, just Opinion

Another Opinion is that Cortese got fed up waiting for Mr Mercenary to say which way he was going to jump, and started enquiring about Gorkss ....... IF that is true, then great, because ALL Saints fans only want players at St Mary's that WANT to be here

Agree with this.

It's not really though a poor return though is it. Maybe the right players haven't become available? We don't need to buy for the sake of it, we are just looking for certain players to fill certain positions. Not many...just 1 or 2 more.

Only Leicester have really signed massive amounts, most other clubs have signed 2 or 3 so far. Leeds have only signed 2 players IIRC

Just be patent, at least we're not adding crap to the squad as we did in previous years at this level and the prem.