Ammar Jemal

Super Carlton

Why? Isn't waiting for the right players best?

Are we really at such a short-termist stage in football than fans can't even wait until the end of the transfer window?

The last thing I want to see here again is a large bloated squad of average players. You can tell from this place that fans get excited about signings, but it's not always the way forward. Look at the build up threads, there's enough debate over who deserves a place already, there's some great competition. That makes it very hard to sign players to improve the team.

People moan and say other teams have signed more, missing the point that the better squad you have, the harder it is (and more costly) to improve it. We did our business very early, signing Lambert, Fonte, Guly, Connolly, Harding, Butterfield etc while in League 1. We had little right to do that, but we managed it. If we'd just been promoted and signed them all, I guess the signing junkies would be happier, but we'd actually be in a slightly worse position for gelling/team spirit etc.

But it's not an argument people will ever let go. Any poor performance, any dropped points and immediately it'll be 'see, we didn't sign enough, we didn't sign early enough, we didn't spend enough'.

This. Surely us saints fans have learnt a thing or two from Redcrap and burley in recent years.

There seems to be a lot of conjecture on here based on very little evidence! It seems that people are jumping to conclusions and stating some very strong opinions which they may later regret. This is particularly true with regard to the potential signing of Jemal.

So far we have had

1. Some reports saying that he has signed, but his visa has held up the conclusion of the transfer.

2. Another report with almost identical wording apart from the final few words which states that he was about to sign, but did not do so because of a disagreement with SFC. This second one came with an audio interview which one person has alleged states that the problem was that Jemal was concerned about a fee payable to his small hometown club, but that Cortese was not prepared to reveal information that Jemal's agent would already have known! This translation of the audio interview has not ben confirmed as yet by any other person.

As far as I am concerned I would not like to pin my colours to the mast quite so quickly that Jemal is a hot-head making unreasonable requests - there does not seem to be any evidence for this! I would like someone to produce a proper transcript of the interview and an explanation of why Jemal's agent would not know the transfer fee, because at present this does not square up at all.

No I did not make that up

I am sure that, at an after the match interview, he DID say that he was expecting ONE player in by the Leeds game. possibly two. On one of these threads, someone else made the same reference

Re Jemel ??? I was not aware that Saints were in negotiations with any other player

I thought that you would know by now that broadcasting who he is negotiating with is not NC's modus operandi

There seems to be a lot of conjecture on here based on very little evidence! It seems that people are jumping to conclusions and stating some very strong opinions which they may later regret. This is particularly true with regard to the potential signing of Jemal.

So far we have had

1. Some reports saying that he has signed, but his visa has held up the conclusion of the transfer.

2. Another report with almost identical wording apart from the final few words which states that he was about to sign, but did not do so because of a disagreement with SFC. This second one came with an audio interview which one person has alleged states that the problem was that Jemal was concerned about a fee payable to his small hometown club, but that Cortese was not prepared to reveal information that Jemal's agent would already have known! This translation of the audio interview has not ben confirmed as yet by any other person.

As far as I am concerned I would not like to pin my colours to the mast quite so quickly that Jemal is a hot-head making unreasonable requests - there does not seem to be any evidence for this! I would like someone to produce a proper transcript of the interview and an explanation of why Jemal's agent would not know the transfer fee, because at present this does not square up at all.

The flaw in this to me is that surely any such dispute over a payment to his earlier club should be with YB in Switzerland who would be responsible for this agreement rather than us.

The flaw in this to me is that surely any such dispute over a payment to his earlier club should be with YB in Switzerland who would be responsible for this agreement rather than us.

sometimes it's a bit unclear. I know that when Gervinho was transferred to Arsenal a few weeks back Arsenal and Lille spent 2 weeks argueing over who paid a few quid to his

original club.Probably about 50K in a 10 mllion £ transfer.It obviously has some importance who actually pays it because otherwise there wouldn't be this kind of dispute on a continual basis.

My guess here is that Jemal asked for salary parity with Fonte and didn't get it.

So far we have had

Good post.

"Good post"? It describes former African Champions Cup winners and regular Champions League participants Esperance as his "small hometown club", FFS.

They've been one of the biggest clubs in Africa for about 30 years.

So far we have had

This is SaintsWeb. If you want facts, try google.

Has he signed yet?

No, and I'd say based on the latest updates that he's not going to. Much as people want to take apart rumours on here, there's been a fairly credible timeline and a variety of reasonable (if French language) media sources advancing the story, mostly corroborated by a few Saints fans with a bit of input here and there about his medical and leaving the country.

I must not have made it clear in my post on Wednesday, but I didn't want to say too much in case it jeopardised any potential ongoing talks with Jemal or Gorkss. Jemal was staying at Chilworth Manor with his agent Mohammed. He had been training with us, was expecting to sign on Tuesday but things broke down and he travelled to London City Airport late on Wednesday afternoon with his agent, for a flight back to Switzerland. They were funny characters (funny strange, not funny haha), they were evasive throughout their stay, lied about their whereabouts: said they were outside waiting for the taxi when they weren't, then said they were praying in the bushes when they weren't, didn't answer their room phone etc. When asked if he he had signed, Jemal said "No, finished, going home."

My impression of the pair of them were that they were difficult characters to get on with, had high self-opinions and were totally different to the rest of the squad. If they displayed these characteristics with Nicola then I would not be surprised if he tired of them and wouldn't have them calling all of the shots. If that's how things broke down, then I'm fully supportive of Cortese. Also, Jemal has one of those silly little wispy moustaches which have no place at this football club.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by skintsaint viewpost-right.png

Has he signed yet?

No, and I'd say based on the latest updates that he's not going to. Much as people want to take apart rumours on here, there's been a fairly credible timeline and a variety of reasonable (if French language) media sources advancing the story, mostly corroborated by a few Saints fans with a bit of input here and there about his medical and leaving the country.

I am not so sure on that. I have seen all the comments and if you were to take them at face value your conclusions are valid. But there are some inconsistencies here that do not make sense, that being Saints won't have this locked solid such the player has already committed based upon visa acceptance. Now we saw this with Jaidi and Guly it can take its time but I expect they may now have a date when this is going to be heard. Listening to some of the ex-pro's they have on these panels, I don't believe their will be an issue for this lad to get a permit.

This does seem at odds with some of Adkins comments, but I wonder how up to speed he is with when this will actually get heard. What we have seen so far is not out of kilter to what happened originally with Jaidi and Guly, so I don't see any real reason to give up on this yet!

I must not have made it clear in my post on Wednesday, but I didn't want to say too much in case it jeopardised any potential ongoing talks with Jemal or Gorkss. Jemal was staying at Chilworth Manor with his agent Mohammed. He had been training with us, was expecting to sign on Tuesday but things broke down and he travelled to London City Airport late on Wednesday afternoon with his agent, for a flight back to Switzerland. They were funny characters (funny strange, not funny haha), they were evasive throughout their stay, lied about their whereabouts: said they were outside waiting for the taxi when they weren't, then said they were praying in the bushes when they weren't, didn't answer their room phone etc. When asked if he he had signed, Jemal said "No, finished, going home."

My impression of the pair of them were that they were difficult characters to get on with, had high self-opinions and were totally different to the rest of the squad. If they displayed these characteristics with Nicola then I would not be surprised if he tired of them and wouldn't have them calling all of the shots. If that's how things broke down, then I'm fully supportive of Cortese. Also, Jemal has one of those silly little wispy moustaches which have no place at this football club.

Meh, screw him then... We don't need billy big botos about ;)

Thanks for your top info Drive,

Shame but if he's like you say then i trust your judgement on it. The wispy moustache thing is of course the last nail in the coffin.You're absolutely right. He should've known better. At the very least did he have like a hundred tattoos? I guess it means im going to have to unlike him on FB. Just goes to show that a video on youtube can big up anyone but if they are not a "saints type" then they ain't joining...

Do you know what Raidhi's comment meant? I can guess it might mean he is a bit embaressed at the behaviour of a fellow tunisian professional player but i might be wrong.An idea?

Certainly doesn't sound like he would've fitted in with the 'on the bus' mantra! Do you have any news on Gorkss?

Do you know what Raidhi's comment meant? I can guess it might mean he is a bit embaressed at the behaviour of a fellow tunisian professional player but i might be wrong.An idea?

I have missed this Jaidi comment, can someone please direct me to these comments or inform as to what was said and where?

I have missed this Jaidi comment, can someone please direct me to these comments or inform as to what was said and where?

Apparently it appeared on Jaidi's facebook page in response to the article about the collapse of the deal, this was the post from saint Armstrong who found it: (not seen it in my own eyes though)

"Jaidi commented on that article on his Facebook Page:

"The only thing I wanted to say that we c unprofessional ... We Tunisians players!"

It doesn't make any sense to me tbh!

Sounds like an odd character with a high self opinion, could have easily disrupted squad harmony and it's probably for the best that we pulled out of the deal. Besides, he would be an unknown quantity in this league, and the Swiss league isn't exactly the strongest.

We all seem to be getting our panties in a wad without even considering the one important aspect, has his case for a visa been heard as yet? I heard David Pleat say on Tuesday evening he would be sitting on one of these panels later in the week, immediately thinking of us and whether it had been rearranged at a late date.

The remit of the panel is:

• To consider whether the player is of the highest calibre.

• To consider whether the player is able to contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in England.

From all the comments and previous experience this would apply to a player good enough for the Championship and not a cheap alternative to what could be already obtained from the lower leagues. On that basis I can't see any issue in the lad getting a visa. What I can see is this being a long drawn out process when those making the decision will have to trawl through all the video to make their decision. It just is not going to be quick unless you are a young Messi and you can easily see cases slipping to the next panel meeting because of the possible length of time need to process the application.

It would not surprise me that the case got delayed, possibly more than once and Jemal has got the dog and decided to sit this one out at home rather than a hotel, where the waiter keeps peering round the corner or the bushes at him every other minute. Maybe not the most professional of responses but neither is the cloak and dagger stuff we have been hearing about.

We all seem to be getting our panties in a wad without even considering the one important aspect, has his case for a visa been heard as yet? I heard David Pleat say on Tuesday evening he would be sitting on one of these panels later in the week, immediately thinking of us and whether it had been rearranged at a late date.

The remit of the panel is:

• To consider whether the player is of the highest calibre.

• To consider whether the player is able to contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in England.

From all the comments and previous experience this would apply to a player good enough for the Championship and not a cheap alternative to what could be already obtained from the lower leagues. On that basis I can't see any issue in the lad getting a visa. What I can see is this being a long drawn out process when those making the decision will have to trawl through all the video to make their decision. It just is not going to be quick unless you are a young Messi and you can easily see cases slipping to the next panel meeting because of the possible length of time need to process the application.

It would not surprise me that the case got delayed, possibly more than once and Jemal has got the dog and decided to sit this one out at home rather than a hotel, where the waiter keeps peering round the corner or the bushes at him every other minute. Maybe not the most professional of responses but neither is the cloak and dagger stuff we have been hearing about.

lol

Essruu - presumably you work (or know somebody that does) at Chilworth Manor?

No I don't. Those that know me, know my connection; but I'd rather not have it broadcast on here for fear of prying eyes taking umbrage to any info I post.

To be fair, 'up and away' may end up being not far away from the truth with the visa theory. What did confuse me on Wednesday was that I was told earlier in the day that Jemal HAD signed. Then, later the same day after his agent had settled the room bill and transport to London City had been arranged, Jemal himself said to me that the transfer had finished and he was going home... his whole attitude and the way he said it made me believe that it had broken down and was over - what he definitely didn't say or hint at was 'yes he'd signed but he's going home while the visa paperwork is sorted.' I didn't post more info at the time, in case there was a chance the transfer talks would be picked up or in case it jeopardised the switch of interest to Gorkss. Having read the comments attributed to him in the Tunisian press, it seemed obvious that 'finished, going home' and the slating of Cortese meant the transfer was dead.

To be honest, I don't want to burn my bridges with my connection, so I was going to wait until info had been officially reported; but The Echo is now reporting that we're close to completing the signing of Gorkss, so I figured me saying anything now wouldn't jeopardise things. It could all be a smokescreen whilst the visa hearing is heard, and my original info that he'd signed may turn out to be correct. His demeanour may also have been because he was tired and frustrated at it all: time will tell. I know what I believe though.

No I don't. Those that know me, know my connection; but I'd rather not have it broadcast on here for fear of prying eyes taking umbrage to any info I post.

To be fair, 'up and away' may end up being not far away from the truth with the visa theory. What did confuse me on Wednesday was that I was told earlier in the day that Jemal HAD signed. Then, later the same day after his agent had settled the room bill and transport to London City had been arranged, Jemal himself said to me that the transfer had finished and he was going home... his whole attitude and the way he said it made me believe that it had broken down and was over - what he definitely didn't say or hint at was 'yes he'd signed but he's going home while the visa paperwork is sorted.' I didn't post more info at the time, in case there was a chance the transfer talks would be picked up or in case it jeopardised the switch of interest to Gorkss. Having read the comments attributed to him in the Tunisian press, it seemed obvious that 'finished, going home' and the slating of Cortese meant the transfer was dead.

To be honest, I don't want to burn my bridges with my connection, so I was going to wait until info had been officially reported; but The Echo is now reporting that we're close to completing the signing of Gorkss, so I figured me saying anything now wouldn't jeopardise things. It could all be a smokescreen whilst the visa hearing is heard, and my original info that he'd signed may turn out to be correct. His demeanour may also have been because he was tired and frustrated at it all: time will tell. I know what I believe though.

Are they? Just checked the website & couldn't see anything? Has someone from the Echo Twitterated something? Sounds good, if so!

Are they? Just checked the website & couldn't see anything? Has someone from the Echo Twitterated something? Sounds good' date=' if so![/quote']

The day of the Echo being of any great value has long gone. But to be fair to Essru, this is supported by the QPR end (slightly). After saying Puncheon was not their only target, they have been quiet of late with the Mail (maybe worse than the Echo) saying a deal is close to being done. But that would still require the work permit and be another age? Or maybe just the signing of Puncheon?

I don't know exactly what is going on but we have been looking to purchase Jemal subject to work permit. Irrespective of what people are saying, we will be both locked into that and the subsequent result. No one party will be able to back out and it will take both parties to cancel. I don't agrue that it looks very likely Jemal has got the dog about the whole situation and wandered back home, I don't know if that is a deal breaker. It certainly looks unprofessionsl, but trying to keep him here under wraps and secretly training does not seem perfect either.

I cannot believe that both the player and the club are not committed to the purchase subject to work permit and there should be little problem in attaining that permit. It just does not happen like this and YB would not have let this go on unless they wer happy. There will be some time limit on this I would imagine, but bearing in mind previous times it has taken, we are no where near such a limit. That would mean for anyone to singularly back out at this stage, compensation could get heavy, especially for Saints.

The day of the Echo being of any great value has long gone. But to be fair to Essru, this is supported by the QPR end (slightly). After saying Puncheon was not their only target, they have been quiet of late with the Mail (maybe worse than the Echo) saying a deal is close to being done. But that would still require the work permit and be another age? Or maybe just the signing of Puncheon?

I don't know exactly what is going on but we have been looking to purchase Jemal subject to work permit. Irrespective of what people are saying, we will be both locked into that and the subsequent result. No one party will be able to back out and it will take both parties to cancel. I don't agrue that it looks very likely Jemal has got the dog about the whole situation and wandered back home, I don't know if that is a deal breaker. It certainly looks unprofessionsl, but trying to keep him here under wraps and secretly training does not seem perfect either.

I cannot believe that both the player and the club are not committed to the purchase subject to work permit and there should be little problem in attaining that permit. It just does not happen like this and YB would not have let this go on unless they wer happy. There will be some time limit on this I would imagine, but bearing in mind previous times it has taken, we are no where near such a limit. That would mean for anyone to singularly back out at this stage, compensation could get heavy, especially for Saints.

You sound like you're making it up as you go along. He's got a contract with YB, he has decided he wants to leave (widely reported in the French language media), was discussing signing for someone else (both Brest and Saints reports from French and Tunisian media and a Stoke rumour prior to them signing Woodgate), apparently it isn't going to happen (ITKer on here), but where's the "compensation" to be had ? That part is absolute nonsense.

I also don't know why you can believe all of the rumours up to the point where the deal failed, but not the ones after that ? That doesn't make any sense either, other than feeding nicely into the "people only want to hear good news" theory that underpins human nature and manifests itself on here every time there's anything other than blind positivity.

I'll believe the "refusal to pay a percentage to Esperance" rumour is wrong or the situation changed if he actually signs for us, at which point I'll be pleased to point out that all of the stuff about medicals and staying in Southampton and training with the club were probably correct too. If he doesn't sign, we can't be sure of any of it - though personally I'd take the word of the two people I know who have provided some ITKness on here.

Glad to see the time spent at the Approved school was not wasted. Was this sent from Agadir from your Nokia 3160?

We fly tomorrow, Norm. I still can't believe I'm missing the f***ing Leeds match :-/

Don't forget to pack your baseball cap! Can you bring me back a £1.50 Rolex?

Back to the game, should be a cracker with us winning 4-3. I would say that I text you the score but with your iphone/ipad/Mac, you will be listening to it.

Isn't it normal practice for a player to be told (even if in confidence) the financial details of his transfer ?

I thought they got a percentage of any transfer fee.

I think so. However, any sell on fee would be paid by the selling club, not us. So if the transfer fee had been kept artificially low to reduce the sell on fee I'm not sure why we are the bad guys.

• 4 weeks later...