New Kits 2012-13

bender

Do you like the new kit?  

879 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new kit?

• Good lord yes!
    • Good heavens no!
    • Is this really all we have to talk about?

Yeah, call me old fashioned but I'd much rather we celebrated our own history than Liverpool's. Oh well, as you say just one of the unlucky (majority) I guess...
i agree lets go back to the quarters which we started off with before we broke with our tradition and started wearing these new fangled red and white stripes:)

I dont mind the shirt, got me and nipper one today, like the material and to be honest if they added a bit more white on the sleeves, it would be just about right, only thing i would diss about the top is the sponsors logos as per usual, seem as so it may fall off by xmas if you wear it like i do 6 asides and match days.

They produce kits cheaply for the very reason that they start to fall apart after a few washes and by the end of the season look so ragged that you go out and buy the next one. Clubs realise that they can make huge margins by selling shirts at massively inflated prices. It's the main reason I don't make a habit of buying one.

I don't especially like it personally, but to me a kit is just a kit. There will be a new one next year and I really don't get why some saggy old c*nts get so irate. It's not like all our kits have been red and white stripes of equal width or that stripes are a foundation stone of the club.

Yeah, call me old fashioned but I'd much rather we celebrated our own history than Liverpool's. Oh well, as you say just one of the unlucky (majority) I guess...

If you don't like it fair enough, but statements like this bit are plain stupid.

We don't need to celebrate our own history because Norwich have a yellow shirt in tribute to our '76 cup win. :facepalm:

Edited by Lighthouse

dude chill out, its the internet. we could go round in circles all day. any one who gets up at 5am and comes on here on a sunday morning needs to chill out big time.

terrible at what? point scoring online? i coulnd't care less, but i apologise for the ramblings of a drunk last night btw.

if u learnt that everyone has to be right why not use that to effect and realise that not everyone can be right, be safe in the knowledge that u are right and rather than berate others for not being in the know why don't u try and be a little more humble. we all have to be right, but we all make mistakes. my original two points are u come across as a know it all, and the website is sh*t and needs a new look & developer. u've only done to further the argument for the first one and have only tried to disagree with the second, when u agree with me on the whole. but i think i'm right on both and trying to change someone's opinions is like trying to change their taste.

i don't use any other forum that has this ethos of oneupsmanship, and it's basically trolling. every half decent discussion on here turns into some playground antics type sh*t. it's so f*cking b*tchy on here! no1 ever answers the quoted post and just dodges round the issue if they are wrong. the amount of made up thesis about how club x is bigger than club y, or ur not a real fan if u don't adhere to a strict dresscode. first time i saw a thread moved i was amazed that there were actually mods here.

cba with any more of this now, and sorry for the run on sentences, by head hurts.

Just to let you know I haven't read this past the 5am thing. Been ill, nothing better to do.

HYPO, posting nearly 15,000 times on an internet forum is pretty mongish.

Doing other things? like becoming Rapid Motion Champion, Red Beard Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Space Runner Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Starcastle Champion, Summer Games Champion, War on Terror Champion, What A Shot Champion, Capture the flag Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Frogger Champion, Gandys Quest Champion. Jet Packer Champion, Star Scrammbler Champion. This is just some of them.

I'm not even sure what those champion things are in the second quote but :lol:

I notice you've also got your weak excuses out ("unemployed 5 years ago" "few seconds a day posting") - maybe the people queuing have their reasons too? Surprise their son/daughter when they get in, or maybe they just enjoy the buzz of launch day?

Many consider us lot bowling up every Saturday to watch 22 men kick a ball about for 90 mins a bit odd, but they don't label us "mongish".

Edited by saintmatt

taken off facebook

523924_3809547210852_224901054_n.jpg

F*ck sake. You showed that to any non-Saints fan and I reckon not even 1/10 would get close to saying that is a Southampton shirt. Disgraceful. That is not a Southampton kit. Well, if you took St Mary's out the background anyway.

@the9 oh ye, and i said i assumed a saturday launch would be better for business, and u said there wouldn't be a queue

do i get a point?

If you'd said "Sunday launch" you could have it. As it is I'm just reassessing how many of our fans are just going to buy anything.

Genuinely interested in why people would queue, I can see the argument about the kit only going out of date from now and getting the longest shelf life out of it, but... it was probably clear by 1, why not go then?

Dreadful. Cortese has no sense of history or tradition I fear.

I'm not sure that he has no sense of history - he's too smart for that. I think he sees it as an obstruction to the kind of progress he has in mind. In both the playing and financial contexts.

The anti-Cortese brigade would go into meltdown if they could see what this club (and the cost of following it) will look like in five years if we go where he's planning on taking us. I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all, but that his goals will involve much more of this kind of change.

If you'd said "Sunday launch" you could have it. As it is I'm just reassessing how many of our fans are just going to buy anything.

Genuinely interested in why people would queue, I can see the argument about the kit only going out of date from now and getting the longest shelf life out of it, but... it was probably clear by 1, why not go then?

u dont make much sense, do ya?

standing in a queue isn't my thing, and I'm not doing an hour round trip to find there's still a queue. I can wait a few days.

u dont make much sense, do ya?

standing in a queue isn't my thing, and I'm not doing an hour round trip to find there's still a queue. I can wait a few days.

I think we just accidentally agreed.

I managed to talk the wife out of getting me one today, think I'm sticking to the away kit, ,mmight hoover up a cheap home in April for collection purposes.

I'm going to be one of those mongs who wears away shirts to home matches :o

F*ck sake. You showed that to any non-Saints fan and I reckon not even 1/10 would get close to saying that is a Southampton shirt. Disgraceful. That is not a Southampton kit. Well, if you took St Mary's out the background anyway.

Apart from the Southampton badge on the front? And the fact that Saints will be playing in it against Englands top clubs next season? And the thousands of Saints fans who will be walking around wearing it?

But no, you're right. Appart from that nobody will ever know it's a Saints shirt. We should have stuck to looking just like Sunderland, Stoke, Exeter, Bilbao, Red Star Belgrade, PSV, Athletico Madrid and Brentford instead.

If you don't like it fair enough, but statements like this bit are plain stupid.

We don't need to celebrate our own history because Norwich have a yellow shirt in tribute to our '76 cup win. :facepalm:

I think you'll find that was an away kit (and Norwich's trim is green), but it's a silly point anyway. Saints "traditionally", are red and white shirts (usually in some form of stripes), black shorts, not 'all red'. That is more readily associated with Liverpool. That is all I was pointing out.

I think we just accidentally agreed.

I managed to talk the wife out of getting me one today, think I'm sticking to the away kit, ,mmight hoover up a cheap home in April for collection purposes.

I'm going to be one of those mongs who wears away shirts to home matches :o

just dont let the fashion police see u wearing it over ur jumper or ull get garroted by some propa stylish Clark shoelaces!

I think you'll find that was an away kit (and Norwich's trim is green), but it's a silly point anyway. Saints "traditionally", are red and white shirts (usually in some form of stripes), black shorts, not 'all red'. That is more readily associated with Liverpool. That is all I was pointing out.

talking of tradition....that means we are equally down for blue shorts and socks...we have had those for half of our existence

They produce kits cheaply for the very reason that they start to fall apart after a few washes and by the end of the season look so ragged that you go out and buy the next one. Clubs realise that they can make huge margins by selling shirts at massively inflated prices. It's the main reason I don't make a habit of buying one.

I don't especially like it personally, but to me a kit is just a kit. There will be a new one next year and I really don't get why some saggy old c*nts get so irate. It's not like all our kits have been red and white stripes of equal width or that stripes are a foundation stone of the club.

Honestly, I have probably about 100 football shirts and none of them have ever fallen apart or deteriorated in any significant way, they certainly haven't needed replacing after a year, I've still got ones from 1991 which are in perfect condition that have been worn hundreds of times.

That stuff about quality is absolute nonsense.

talking of tradition....that means we are equally down for blue shorts and socks...we have had those for half of our existence

Just answer me a simple question - honestly if you are able - in your lifetime, what would you say the most 'traditional' kit associated with Southampton Football Club is? (shirt colours & design, shorts,socks).

And remember, I said be honest...

We should have stuck to looking just like Sunderland, Stoke, Exeter, Bilbao, Red Star Belgrade, PSV, Athletico Madrid and Brentford instead.

Well yes. We should have.

But maybe there is some consolation that we will be the only team in world football in an all red kit. Go us.

I think navy shorts and socks would look great.

Incidentally we had black, and red, socks before we ever had blue.

Just answer me a simple question - honestly if you are able - in your lifetime, what would you say the most 'traditional' kit associated with Southampton football club is? (shirt colours & design, shorts,socks).

And remember, I said be honest...

red and white stripes....but we have also had non red and white stripe shirts.......and this is kind of one of them (even if it does have pin stripes)

throughout the 80's we completely broke from "tradition"....

I was born in 1980...that is about 19 years of your standard red and white stripes...and 13 years of non/other variations of red/white

(give or take a year either way)

Edited by Thedelldays

I still can't work out the thinking behind going for Liverpool colours instead of Southampton. I guess its either:

a: A idea born from the marketing department. Red home, white away = red and white - clever eh?!

b: This design was cheaper, better margin. Some Umbro factory in china had a load kicking around, all we had to pay for was a few badges sewn on. We will sell them regardless.

c: Cortese likes pinstripes - we get pinstripes

d: A deliberate attempt to distance ourselves from the past. A new Southampton etc

Either way it's not a big deal. I just think it's pointless and odd. History and tradition is a part of football IMO and adds value to the club's brand. If Man Utd wheeled out a red and white striped shirt you would think WTF. It's no different for us.

I was born in 1980...that is about 19 years of your standard red and white stripes...and 13 years of non/other variations of red/white

Just out of interest, which kits are you including in these thirteen years?

All I can think of is the white shoulders Man U style kit, which was what 2 seasons. And the Hummel Denmark one which did have stripes.

That was two seasons. So I make that four. Where are these other nine seasons when we didn't wear red and white stripes?

I still can't work out the thinking behind going for Liverpool colours instead of Southampton. I guess its either:

a: A idea born from the marketing department. Red home, white away = red and white - clever eh?!

b: This design was cheaper, better margin. Some Umbro factory in china had a load kicking around, all we had to pay for was a few badges sewn on. We will sell them regardless.

c: Cortese likes pinstripes - we get pinstripes

d: A deliberate attempt to distance ourselves from the past. A new Southampton etc

Either way it's not a big deal. I just think it's pointless and odd. History and tradition is a part of football IMO and adds value to the club's brand. If Man Utd wheeled out a red and white striped shirt you would think WTF. It's no different for us.

According to some, Liverpool won the European Cup in red and white stripes, so...

All I can think of is the white shoulders Man U style kit, which was what 2 seasons. And the Hummel Denmark one which did have stripes.

That was two seasons. So I make that four. Where are these other nine seasons when we didn't wear red and white stripes?

He's ignoring that the Rank Xerox kit was striped... That's 5 years. Sash kit. Maybe claiming the first FP Ajax style one wasn't? Who knows. Hummel Denmark was striped and halved at the same time.

Basically as you've said, only the one kit wasn't wasn't at all striped in any way. And the current one is as much stripes as Liverpool have ever worn stripes, which is never.

Edited by The9

I dont count the rank xerox/air florida as a "traditional stiped" certainly nothing like that was seen before it really.

the solid red kit, the pony tick kit was not traditional red and white. the sash kit obviously and the half and half kit....although had pin stripes (seen those before) not your traditional red and white "saints" top

all IMO of course...now, you can tell me I am wrong but everything is all in our opinions

I guess it matters not. The new kit is here, seems to be hugely popular first day and I guess it will sell massively well

as have said before..I don't buy your traditional red and white saints top (like last season) as they are ten a penny to us...the last kit i bought was the sash kit....and before that, the odd away top.

I will be getting this home kit as it is something slightly different to what I call boring red and white "traditional" stripes...

again, IMO

Edited by Thedelldays

red and white stripes....but we have also had non red and white stripe shirts.......and this is kind of one of them (even if it does have pin stripes)

I was born in 1980...that is about 19 years of your standard red and white stripes...and 13 years of non/other variations of red/whiteG

There you go, red and white stripes - in various forms, I have no problem with that.

And the shorts? I am going to answer for you... Black.

The socks? Red, white, black - variations thereof. Again, don't care.

So the blue short thing you threw in (I suspect to avoid my 'majority' point) is just a red herring.

What we have is an all red kit. An all red kit. Red socks, red shorts, red shirt - like Liverpool in the 80's with faint white pin stripes. Nothing like the agreed 'traditional' livery of SFC. More reflective of Liverpool than Saints. That is the point I was making.

He's ignoring that the Rank Xerox kit was striped... That's 5 years. Sash kit. Maybe claiming the first FP Ajax style one wasn't? Who knows. Hummel Denmark was striped and halved at the same time.

Basically as you've said, only the one kit wasn't wasn't at all striped in any way. And the current one is as much stripes as Liverpool have ever worn stripes, which is never.

Whoops. I did forget the sash one I was thinking about the eighties too much.

The pony one was obviously red and white stripes as were the wide striped ones from the eighties and in the lowe era.

Oh well. Whats done is done.

Not entirely sure the people sneering at stripes as being old fashioned, boring and not moving with the times are going to react next season when we're back in stripes again. I wonder if they'll boycott?

There you go, red and white stripes - in various forms, I have no problem with that.

And the shorts? I am going to answer for you... Black.

The socks? Red, white, black - variations thereof. Again, don't care.

So the blue short thing you threw in (I suspect to avoid my 'majority' point) is just a red herring.

What we have is an all red kit. An all red kit. Red socks, red shorts, red shirt - like Liverpool in the 80's with faint white pin stripes. Nothing like the agreed 'traditional' livery of SFC. More reflective of Liverpool than Saints. That is the point I was making.

could really care less about shorts and socks to be honest

oh forgive me if I don't take an SWF poll as gospel to what a majority of saints fans think

[quote=Thedelldagh had pin stripes (seen those before) not your traditional red and white "saints" top

all IMO of course...now, you can tell me I am wrong but everything is all in our opinions

I guess it matters not. The new kit is here, seems to be hugely popular first day and I guess it will sell massively well

as have said before..I don't buy your traditional red and white saints top (like last se

Queued up today for the shirt, got there at 1:15PM and had the shirt by 3PM.

Really pleased that people are getting enthusiastic about Saints again, it's been a long time! Actually willing to queue up for it, never seen anything like it I have to say. A great family atmosphere with the Sky Ride taking place and plenty of parents with nippers buying the new shirt in the queue.

Spoke to a few in the queue and had a few come upto me whilst walking past saying 'the new shirt's really nice' etc. which was surprising. The general consensus with the people in the queue was that they love it.

Even saw James Ward-Prowse outside the store, one fan asked him what he thought of the kit and I overheard him say he thought it was nice.

Picked up a new training jacket while I was there too, red on the shirt and a maroon colour on the sleeves which I thought was nice too.

We didn't wear striped shirts at all in the 1980s, until the 89/90 season. If you think the Rank Xerox one and the Hummel one were striped, then so is this new one.

i'm really,really disappointed. we are red & white stripes .black shorts & white socks. i'm not on here to get involved in any arguments, i just think that it's a sad day, what is football without tradition.

We didn't wear striped shirts at all in the 1980s, until the 89/90 season. If you think the Rank Xerox one and the Hummel one were striped, then so is this new one.

Behave yourself. Nice try though.