New Kits 2012-13

bender

Do you like the new kit?  

879 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new kit?

• Good lord yes!
    • Good heavens no!
    • Is this really all we have to talk about?

How are shirts normally sold on the first day? From the MEgastore at the ground? Weird that we decided to put them on sale the day before the store reopened. The cynic in me would think it'd be the classic marketing trick of small shop, only letting a few in at a time, creates a big queue, looks great from a PR/demand point of view.......?

Something I mentioned earlier, online sales used to despatch for the same day and the Megastore is usually open too, so actually it has compressed everyone who wants one and is in the area into one place. No idea what total sales are usually but you're right that it does look more impressive that way.

It. Is. Not. An. All. Red. Shirt.

Is it red and white and grey stripes then?

Liverpool "Crown Paints" basically the same style, definitely just plain red to every person who ever lived. With some pinstripes.

Is it red and white and grey stripes then?

Liverpool "Crown Paints" basically the same style, definitely just plain red to every person who ever lived. With some pinstripes.

Seems people are clutching at straws, to be fair, they're the same width.

I think part of my hatred for red shorts is rooted in me going to buy the new Saints home kit in 76/77 (the candy striped one). It was from a sports shop in St. Mary's St - the church end of the street, can't remember the name (Duncan?). The dummy in the window had the kit on, but to my horror had red shorts, complete with the Admiral symbols down the sides. The guy in the shop told me that we were going to be playing in red shorts that season. I just couldn't believe it. It didn't look right. It didn't look like Saints. To my 12 year old credit - I was really desperate to be the first kid on the estate with that kit - I decided to wait. It just wasn't right. Of course later, on going to the Saints Shop I was relieved to find out that we were indeed playing in our traditional black shorts, and all was well in the world again. I never did return to that St. Mary's sports shop.

Suspect I am not going to find out thre's been a mistake this time!

Oh dear, you're getting into very murky statistical waters here my friend... Based on the evidence we have (the poll above), I could very easily argue that, if you say the "3,000" that turned up (I believe he figure was more like 500, but anyway...) they represent those in the poll (statistically), thus 6,000+ fans DIDN'T turn up. Or we could do the no of people who turned up and bought kits as a % of the Saints supporting population of the city?

Okay, being flippant, but you can't mix up your mathematical basis mate, you just can't...

PS I have a few mates who, believe it or not, don't like the kit "but will probably buy it anyway", so even the supposition that those who buy he kit 'like' it is flawed. Strange world.

There's no way of proving how many were at West Quay today, I asked the bouncer/steward/queue attendent and he said that there'd been 'At Least 750 people in the queue so far' that was at 1:15pm, there was another 3 hours 45 minutes until close to go so I estimated that if those numbers kept up then there'd be between 1000-3000 people. Others have asked stewards/bouncers/queue attendents and were told lower/higher amounts so there's no way of proving how many people in the queue.

All I meant was the 776 forum members that voted on here is a good sample. There's a slight majority of 50.82% that hate it and 49.18% who either don't care or like it/love it.

So a very marmite kit.

The backroom team at Staplewood have looked back through history and come up with this kit. Notts Forest wore this style of kit when they went from 2nd tier, to top tier winners crowning the run with back to back European Cups - all in four years.

Get behind the kit ffs ;)

How many versions of a stripey shirt can you have, ???? its been done to death before time after time .

the new version is up to date ,buying it could put money back into club ,unless your a diehard stripey fan and who wants to recycle your branfoot stripey shirt from the 80's for the umpteenth time.

im all for saving the planet but it could help the sfc in the premiership

How many versions of a stripey shirt can you have, ???? its been done to death before time after time .

the new version is up to date ,buying it could put money back into club ,unless your a diehard stripey fan and who wants to recycle your branfoot stripey shirt from the 80's for the umpteenth time.

im all for saving the planet but it could help the sfc in the premiership

Ok.........

0,,10280%7E11007885,00.jpg

I think it all looks quite classy, including the promotional stuff.

Now you've posted that I am amazed at how clearly you can see all those stripes on the kits on the hangers. They're like barber's poles with sleeves.

It may look "classy" and well packaged, but it does NOT look or scream "Saints" .

It looks more like a Bristol City, or a Swindon Town attempt to emulate a bigger club. I had hoped we might already be above such a move.

This still doesn't look like a Saints kit! No matter how much i try to like it I just can't. Who decided that this was the design to have? We may be trying to go forward with a new image, but we should have at least kept with tradition for the first season back in the Prem.

All I meant was the 776 forum members that voted on here is a good sample. There's a slight majority of 50.82% that hate it and 49.18% who either don't care or like it/love it.

So a very marmite kit.

And what a shame that is. With a bit more thought and understanding of what most Saints fans want, the club/Umbro could have produced a kit that would have had 80-90% approval ratings. A massive missed opportunity to march back into he Premier League with our identity intact and our supporter based happy (not to mention the increased revenue from increased replica kit sales).

To be honest black shorts would probably have placated a fair few. It's the all red / Liverpool thing that I think annoys most dissenters.

Actually, I take that back - just seen the mock up with he black shorts. Just as hideous.

Like it or not, why do people have a desperate need to be seen having something new as soon as possible?

Whether an iPhone, saints shirt or harry potter book, you gain very little from having it 24 hours earlier, have to make a big effort to do so and look like an obsessive materialistic nobstick.

Or does wearing a shirt before anyone else make you feel amazing? It can't be that thing of not wanting to be seen in the same top as other people.

That's down to capitalism & being a consumer nation. To be fair, it's better than fascism or communism but capitalism is disloyal & mobile. Hence why the bubble has burst & our economy is in tatters due to a controlling elite operating through privately owned central banks which do NOT belong to the state since we sold that out to the bankers in the biggest scam of the 21st century. Hence corporations controlling politics & evading democracy but that's another subject entirely & it's not the time nor place for that discussion. Phew! Tangents...

Basically, we're conditioned from as soon as we can read & speak to eat, drink & consume what we are told. Advertising pervades every facet of life...yet perversely protected by almost every copyright law going despite us not choosing to view the offending items (as Banksy once so wisely uttered).

Edited by Gordon Mockles

And what a shame that is. With a bit more thought and understanding of what most Saints fans want, the club/Umbro could have produced a kit that would have had 80-90% approval ratings. A massive missed opportunity to march back into he Premier League with our identity intact and our supporter based happy (not to mention the increased revenue from increased replica kit sales).

You can't please everyone, there'd always be some section of annoyed fans out there.

Gecko_Saint even designed the shirts for the 06/07 season ages ago and alot of people thought they were ****e too.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't when it comes to any football fan with her/his selected club. Some like traditional colours, some like the club to try something new etc.

When you look at the away shown below it looks more "Saints like". IMO

southampton.png

Think I'll hold off until I see them both in the flesh. And wait and see if there is a rumoured 3rd kit!

Maybe Cortese has given us what we wanted when he heard so many saying they wanted the Rank Xerox kit. We've got a shirt similar to the 80-85 3rd kit.

Can I just say, if anyone is still reading this thread, that over here in Aus I work for an ad agency on the A League account. We've just finished creating a new identity for the new Western Sydney team that will play in next season's league.

My point is, that in creating this team from scratch, more than 1,000 fans attended seven fan forums and over 15,000 people completed an online survey to help define the spirit and identity of their football club.

Of course, you can't have that level of involvement for a shirt change every season. But the fact is, some consultation would not have gone amiss. As someone said above: this kit does not look like or feel like Southampton Football Club. And for that reason alone, it's wrong. When we're going back to the Premier League after a 7 year absence, it's just plain stupid.

You can't please everyone, there'd always be some section of annoyed fans out there.

Gecko_Saint even designed the shirts for the 06/07 season ages ago and alot of people thought they were ****e too.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't when it comes to any football fan with her/his selected club. Some like traditional colours, some like the club to try something new etc.

How many were "annoyed" or "damned" over last season's kit? Somewhere between not many and hardly any I'd say.

When you look at the away shown below it looks more "Saints like". IMO

southampton.png

Think I'll hold off until I see them both in the flesh. And wait and see if there is a rumoured 3rd kit!

Maybe Cortese has given us what we wanted when he heard so many saying they wanted the Rank Xerox kit. We've got a shirt similar to the 80-85 3rd kit.

Right, so we do have a bit of history in playing all-white in the away kit. But the home kit just sticks out as completely wrong.

Was surprised to see the 3rd kit back in 1980-84, never seen that before. The home and away kits from that time just so stand out as classic kits, really dont understand why the club doesnt want to re-use and update the design.

I know the Pony tick is not a popular design, but MLT performed so many of his greatest feats in that kit that it has to go down as a classic.

Why are there 2 sock colours against last year's away kit ?

Edited by alpine_saint

I think you'll find very few football fans like their club trying 'something new' in terms of changing the colour palette used. The extreme example is Cardiff.

My point is that the club would have far fewer unhappy fans if they had based the new design on typical Saints colour combo's, rather than basing them on another club. 10% of fans not liking it makes much better economic sense than 50% not liking it!

Seriously my first thought when I saw this picture was "I am in the Liverpool club shop". That is the main reason I hate this kit. It looks like we are trying to emulate a bunch of dodgy scousers.

Pretending to be Liverpool doesn't feel 'special' to me. I'd rather just look and feel like Saints.

.....or Stoke, Sunderland, Atletico Madrid or someone working behind the deli counter at ASDA, presumably?

We have some of the most whinging fans in football imho. I, and many others like it, I and many others think NC is doing a good job, I and many others think that NA is a good manager, yet a select few on here, who post the most (shout the loudest), seek to insult and shout down anyone who says so. One would suspect that they weren't Saints fans?

It's a simple choice here, would you prefer this shirt in the PL, or stripes in L1. Half those who have slagged this off, will be wearing it this season, be sure of that.

.....or Stoke, Sunderland, Atletico Madrid or someone working behind the deli counter at ASDA, presumably?

Just how long have you hated the fact we wear red and white stripes?

Until this week I have never heard in real life (or even read on a forum and I've been on them for a decade now) anyone complaining that our kit being similar to Stoke was a massive problem. Never.

I don't remember anyone now sneering at stripes complaining last year either - please put me right if you did. But I bet you didn't.

Now, apparently our similarity to Stoke was a major issue to some people. Its all a bit odd.

I expect uproar from these people if we are back in stripes next season.

There will be no uproar next season if we return to stripes

Nothing like there is at the mo. mainly because,in your words this is a "slightly different design" and it's no big deal

Seems that our classic strip is a big deal to some people. We've spent most of the last half century looking like people behind the deli counter in Asda apparently. If that's not "whinging fans" I don't know what is.

Seems that our classic strip is a big deal to some people. We've spent most of the last half century looking like people behind the deli counter in Asda apparently. If that's not "whinging fans" I don't know what is.

And it seems not having stripes for a season is also a big deal for others. Or some like change now and then

You can't please all people all of the time

Like I said earlier. If the kit launch was a failure I'm sure you would have been very quick to point out that it would have been because of the kit design.

Now it seems it was not a failure. Kit design does not come into it really.... It is the prem effect Apparently. Or that people are simply "mongs"

Same of this goes on to be the best kit sale of all time. I'm sure the design won't come into it for you.

Truth is. All factors are to play no matter how it sells. But it does seem many really do like it. I say, chill out, don't get so uptight about it. It will probably be gone next season. And we will return to (IMO) boring red and white traditional stripes

Im sorry but the kit is rank...looks like a filthy training shirt...

Someone is completely devoid of any type of creativity or style in either the Umbro or saints design team.

What a shame, we are a global brand now and we have created this mess of a kit...it really has annoyed me.

First time in years i was actually going to buy a shirt...i will not be buying that...

Very dissapointed