Tommy Widdrington

jawillwill

Shouldn't we judge his son on his own merits rather than his father's 75 games for a club we support?

I think you're missng the point. If his son won it would make him happy, which would exacerbate the already existing feel good factor around Southampton, and in a way, would be arguably the best thing to happen to Saints this season! After all, Britain's got Talent is a popular show worldwide, so it would be some great free publicity. The show is especially popular in America, so I imagine it'd be easy to shift at least a few thousand extra shirts over there and gain some Yank support for our re-entrance into the Premier League.

Lines close soon I think, so quick! Go and vote! If you don't, you're not a real fan.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I remember at the time when we were looking for a new manager (I forget if it was just before Pardew, or in the Dodd/Gorman era or when) a lot of people were clamouring on this board for Tommy to become our manager. He's still very popular round these parts and there were a lot of smart people who thought he could have done a great job for us.

Obviously we went down another path in the end, but we'll never know how close he was to leading us once more and perhaps it may have been him driving the bus into the Premier League.

I think the least we can do for the man is to support the fruit of his loins. I dialled in 10 votes for me (and for anyone else who wanted to but wasn't able to).

• Like 1

I remember at the time when we were looking for a new manager (I forget if it was just before Pardew, or in the Dodd/Gorman era or when) a lot of people were clamouring on this board for Tommy to become our manager. He's still very popular round these parts and there were a lot of smart people who thought he could have done a great job for us.

Obviously we went down another path in the end, but we'll never know how close he was to leading us once more and perhaps it may have been him driving the bus into the Premier League.

I think the least we can do for the man is to support the fruit of his loins. I dialled in 10 votes for me (and for anyone else who wanted to but wasn't able to).

Exsctly, I think a lot of people forget just how close TW came to becoming manager of Southampton. Once again the vocal minority got their way though. I don't deny that Adkins (and Pardew) have done a fantastic job in recent seasons in getting us back to the big time, but sometimes I can't help but wonder if maybe...just maybe...we'd already have been there for a season if TW was appointed.

I guess we'll never know.

Exsctly, I think a lot of people forget just how close TW came to becoming manager of Southampton. Once again the vocal minority got their way though. I don't deny that Adkins (and Pardew) have done a fantastic job in recent seasons in getting us back to the big time, but sometimes I can't help but wonder if maybe...just maybe...we'd already have been there for a season if TW was appointed.

I guess we'll never know.

Lol

• 8 years later...
On 12/05/2012 at 20:51, jawillwill said:

Apparently his son is competing in the final of Britain's Got Talent this evening. Would be nice if all SWFers supported him as thanks for all the incredible work TW did for us in the 90's.

Incredible work? Which was? 

32 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

The only incredible work is the hilarious in-joke on this forum that Widdrington was close to being our manager and that there was a clamour for it in the fan base etc etc.

Not sure who started it but it probably won't ever entirely go away whatever we do. Much like Covid-19.

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The only incredible work is the hilarious in-joke on this forum that Widdrington was close to being our manager and that there was a clamour for it in the fan base etc etc.

Not sure who started it but it probably won't ever entirely go away whatever we do. Much like Covid-19.

Thanks for this mornings motivational speech, I feel invigorated and ready to seize the day.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

He interviewed for the job and a certain board member (who shall remain nameless) at the time was very, very keen on it happening. 

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

That well trodden path from Twerton Park to the Nou Camp.

The Catalans are clamouring for it, and I've heard a certain member of the Barca executive board (who shall remain nameless) is very, very keen on it happening.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

28 appearances in our best season in the 90's, an integral part to the team that finished 10th in that famous 94/95 season. His tough tackling and hard work enable Le Tissier to shine that season achieving his record ever goal tally. it took a club record fee by Grimsby to prise him away from us, a much under rated cog in our most successful season between 89/90 and 02/03. Only got to look at our decline after he left to prove how important he was. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember (at least I think I do) his red card in some sort of cup defeat away to Port Vale. It is possibly the worst challenge I’ve ever seen by a saints player.

And with Benali v Fashanu, Gobern v Bournemouth, jankewitz v Man U and Mark Dennis v anyone and everyone as competition that’s quite some achievement 

On 12/05/2012 at 15:56, Matthew Le God said:

Shouldn't we judge his son on his own merits rather than his father's 75 games for a club we support?

Saw this comment and thought, “yep, that’s typical MLG”. Then I saw the date.

I guess we have to admire you for your commitment to your craft...

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1

On 17/02/2021 at 14:52, Turkish said:

28 appearances in our best season in the 90's, an integral part to the team that finished 10th in that famous 94/95 season. His tough tackling and hard work enable Le Tissier to shine that season achieving his record ever goal tally. it took a club record fee by Grimsby to prise him away from us, a much under rated cog in our most successful season between 89/90 and 02/03. Only got to look at our decline after he left to prove how important he was. 

Spot on mate. Absolutely loved this guy growing up! An absolute workhorse.

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, Turkish said:

His son is on Question of Sport right now, they just showed the clip of Tommys tackle when he got sent off, was it Port Vale away?

Anyone who use to watch Soccer AM when it was good - that was proper Kung Fu! 🤣

Cheeky whatsit had my new Christmas jumper on too - can’t keep anything to myself 😢

😀

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Anyone who use to watch Soccer AM when it was good - that was proper Kung Fu! 🤣

Cheeky whatsit had my new Christmas jumper on too - can’t keep anything to myself 😢

😀

Here it is on 1 minute 30, 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...