Redknapp - time to re-evaluate?

Seaford Saint

I have always admired Harry, I was chuffed when he got appointed at St Mary's and wasdisappointed that he left us....failed to save us etc and I always thought there were behind the scenes problems.

Most on here appear to hate him, people say he takes bungs, needs money to manage etc etc

I wondered whether any on here had changed their minds and acquired some grudging respect for the man....since his 10 points in his first 4 games as manager of Spurs. I can't believe the changes he has made at Spurs....their goalie makes saves, Bent can score goals

Well?

He's admitted himself that he doesn't know what he's done to change their fortunes.

Spurs have one of the best squads in the Premier League (and one of the most expensive). They bloody well should be collecting 10 points from 12 on regular occasions during the season. There really must have been something seriously wrong in that dressing room under Juande Ramos for them to be as utterly hopeless as they were.

That said, they do seem to be getting the rub of the green a little bit more. Against Hull, they lost to a 25-yard free-kick that found the top corner, having played well and done everything but score at the other end. They were the better side for most of the game against Stoke, even with 10 men.

Against Arsenal they were decent for half an hour, utterly rubbish for the next hour and then took advantage of Arsenal's bizarre loss of composure and concentration in injury time to get a draw, and Liverpool should have been out of sight before they turned it round.

The one thing I've really noticed in the media whenever anyone's asked to comment on "what Harry's done", they've all said that he talks the players up all the time which gives them confidence, etc. They've had comments along those lines from former Bournemouth players, former West Ham players, former Pompey players and people close to the current Spurs players. Strangely, they've not had any similar comments from former Saints players...

I have always admired Harry, I was chuffed when he got appointed at St Mary's and wasdisappointed that he left us....failed to save us etc and I always thought there were behind the scenes problems.

Most on here appear to hate him, people say he takes bungs, needs money to manage etc etc

I wondered whether any on here had changed their minds and acquired some grudging respect for the man....since his 10 points in his first 4 games as manager of Spurs. I can't believe the changes he has made at Spurs....their goalie makes saves, Bent can score goals

Well?

I've always felt he's a good manager and still do. I was hoping he got the England job ahead of Capello (for positive reasons rather than anti-Pompey reasons.)

But, of course, such rational thought won't go down too well on here....

Well?

I was and have been critical of Redknapp for his performance as Southampton Manager, especailly his public critcism of his players. However, I have re-evaluated based on the information that has come out since he left.

First there was the newspaper interview in which Simon Clifford stated that Lowe wanted SCW to take over as Manager when we got relegated but then Woodward got cold feet and said he'd like to observe and learn before taking the role. To me this is credible. It explains Redknapp's comment at the time about being surprised he wasn't sacked. It explains Redknapp's comments during his Saints tenure that he was only keeping the seat warm for someone else.

Second, the lack of adequate transfer funds during the first season in the Championship.

Third, are the comments by Dave Bassett about RL always trying to get Redknapp to play the youngsters, which he always resisted (except against Mansfield to disastrous effect, presumably to make a point)

In the light of this information and seeing what Redknapp has been able to achieve elsewhere with a few bob I can see why Redknapp appeared so de-motivated and how we may have missed our best opportunity of getting promoted.

As far as this goes, the confidence of having a new manager may be the simple explanation for this. I can't remember the exact figures (or be bothered to find stats) but when Souness took over at Newcastle a similar pattern emerged, I think they may have even won their first 7 games under him.

He doesn't do himself with all the crap he talks. Yo-yoing between Pompey and Saints and then referring to Fratton Park as his spiratual home, before hot-footing it off to Spurs, proclaiming them to be his childhood team.

This comes after previously stating he was a Gunner as a kid and playing up to ****ney stereotypes whilst at West Ham.

His management record stands up, but as a person I wouldn't trust anyone with such a suspiciously saggy face.

He's inherited a golden egg at Spurs, a good squad in need of a bit of love and attention. Had Spurs been in Saints position with a threadbare squad, this year's equivalent of Olivier Bernard wouldn't have saved Spurs.

He had a decent effect on us when he first started I thought (I'll have to check now) but it did not last. I really like the bloke actually but did not rate him as manager for us and I have to acknowledge, having read Broken Dreams that he is a lucky lucky man .....

He had a decent effect on us when he first started I thought (I'll have to check now) but it did not last.

Everything looked to be going ok until the 89th minute of his first game against Middlesbrough... 2-0 up, looking comfortable. Two minutes later, 2-2 draw.

The following week was simply awful, a 5-1 defeat at Tottenham.

Interestingly, we didn't actually lose a home league game under Redknapp until April (against Chelsea). Unfortunately while we beat Liverpool and Spurs in that time, we also failed to beat Middlesbrough, Charlton, Fulham, Everton and Arsenal, all of whom (Arsenal excepted) were very much winnable games.

and I have to acknowledge, having read Broken Dreams that he is a lucky lucky man .....

As the Churchill dog would say... oh yes!

THE short trip to Southampton's training ground became a tortuous journey that threatened to send Harry Redknapp spiralling over the edge.

Every day Redknapp considered turning back, returning to his Dorset home and tendering his resignation to the club he knew he should never have joined.

Last night Redknapp opened his heart about the remarkable chain of events that looks certain to end with him returning to Portsmouth in the next few days.

Redknapp laid bare his emotions and talked openly to Sunday Mirror about taking the decision to quit Southampton on Friday night and pave the way for a return to the club he walked out on just over a year ago.

Redknapp said: "The last year has been the worst of my life and that is no exaggeration,.

"I don't know what possessed me to leave Portsmouth in the first place. I'm an emotional man at the best of times - just ask my wife Sandra.

"But I made a monumental mistake walking out of Fratton Park and a day hasn't passed since I left the ground for the last time that I didn't regret my decision.

"The truth is I did have my rows with chairman Milan Mandaric but they were petty and the vast majority were my fault.

"I think people made far too much of it because 99 per cent of the time we had a fantastic relationship.

"I know some of the Pompey fans are extremely angry about my possible return and I can understand that but this is not about money, it's about being happy and the day I left Fratton Park I left my heart at the club and want to come back and reclaim it.

"I have no grudge with Southampton because their supporters were fantastic with me. The only reason I remained at the club following relegation was I felt I owed it to the fans to get them back up but I would be a liar if I said my heart was in the job.

"I'm not denying that I said to the Pompey supporters that I wouldn't go up the road but things just spiralled out of control.

"I reacted to an article Milan had done and lost control. I knew the moment I was unveiled at the press conference at St Mary's that I had made the biggest mistake in my career. A day hasn't passed when I didn't want to turn my car around, go home and quit. I haven't slept well for a year and I've been murder to live with.

"Events this season have simply increased my desire to get away and once Portsmouth asked permission to speak to me this week I knew I had to go back.

"People can call me crazy, say what they like but my time at Pompey was the happiest of my career and I cannot see the point in remaining in football if you're not happy.

"To be honest this season has been nothing short of a joke. It's been a media circus and I knew, if I was honest to myself, that I wasn't part of the long-term plans here.

"Appointments have been made that have bemused me and I have had to work with all this crap going on about disintegrating relationship between me and Clive Woodward.

"As a bloke I got on with him but I have to say the decision to bring him in was bizarre. As was the coach that came with him and recently quit.

"The relationship between me and Clive was never going to work because there were too many people undermining the structure Rupert Lowe wanted at the club."

Redknapp admits that he now finds himself in complete limbo and has urged Saints chairman Lowe to resolve his situation and allow him to return to his spiritual home at Portsmouth.

He said:"I would hope Rupert would see sense and allow me to return. I've made it clear I want to go back but until the two clubs reach an agreement over compensation I'm in limbo.

"I was honest enough with Rupert and said once the Portsmouth thing became public I was in an untenable situation at Southampton.

"My son Jamie told me to get out of Southampton months ago, he knew it was tearing me apart. As I said the situation in recent months had become intolerable, let alone the fact I never really wanted to be at the club."

"I have no intention of signing a long-term deal at Pompey. If and when I can get round a table with Milan I will make it clear that I will work without a contract for the rest of the season.

"If I can keep them up then we can discuss any future arrangements. But I want everyone to know that my intentions are sincere and honourable and hopefully people will respect that."

His own words after he left were "my heart was never in it"...

I don't think he's a crap manager, but I hate him with every bone in my body because he took us down and he couldn't give a flying f*ck. He had the resources to dig us out of trouble but he couldn't give a sh*t and it's no coincidence we finished the league rooted to the bottom. He might say he was gutted but that is purely pride on his side.

Even after he took us down Lowe gave him the opportunity to go, but in true Redknapp fashion he is only interested in a quick quid so decided to stay on and make more money for himself, whilst against not giving a sh*t for anyone elses wellbeing. Only when Mandaric come knocking again did he decide the time was right to f*ck off...by which time we were even iin further sh*t...

Alot of people blame the boardroom for the position we are in at the moment and I agree to some extent, however at least their motives and intentions were in the main right. The same can't be said for Redknapp, he kickstarted the chain of events that saw a proud club who had been in the top flight for 27 years, to a side fielding its reserves, a half-empty stadium and a club fighting off administration and relegation to League One.

I've never blamed Redknapp for walking out on us.

When Redknapp was at Pompey Mandaric got rid of Jim Smith and replaced him with some foreigner despite Redknapp saying he'd leave if this happened.

Lowe knew that Redknapp would want out if he replaced Jim Smith so he went ahead with SCW deliberately to kill two birds with one stone.

Redknapp never was the problem - LOWE WAS AND LOWE STILL IS.

Absolutely despise the man. His smugness at Spurs now sends my hatred for him spiralling ever deeper, and to cap it all off I have to look at his stupid face on Mario Kart adverts. I have supported Saints for over 20 years and Redknapp is by far top of my worst manager list, and to be fair that list includes some shockers..

Despite his P*mpey connections you have to admit the guy is a good, old fashioned manager. Just look at what he's doing at Spurs!

The main problem during his time here was that he never really wanted to be here, it was more of an 'up yours' gesture to Mandaric.

If he genuinely wanted to be here and had his heart in it, then maybe, just maybe we would be in a very different situation now.

The man is a prize c*nt, simple as that. I hate the way that the press completely brown-nose him at every opportunity. Everyone seems to overlook the fact that he got us relegated. He would get us relegated again if he came back here (god forbid) without a huge transfer budget to spend. I'd love nothing more than to watch Spurs be relegated at the end of the season with 'Arry at the helm, although I have a sneaky suspicion that he'd worm himself back in to Portsmouth's set up again if that happened. However, this won't happen because Levy will lavish money on Ol' Droopy Face in January and he buy the whole of P*mpey FC to play for him at Spurs.

I really hope that he f*cks off and retires soon, because i'm getting sick of seeing his droopy face plastered everywhere.

adrian - alot of it was the fact WHY arry was not interested etc...in light of recent comments about lowe interfering etc it seems he did during arrys time here and SHOULD arry have been left to do it his way im sure he would have done a bit better...and only a bit better would have been enough to keep us up

Whatever we may think of Arry Boy the overiding problem is and always has been Lowey..

The Woodward and Clifford as well as the 100 other reasons why Lowey should leave now and let the Saints be controlled by real Directors with real business sense and a true love of football and The Mighty Saints........Forget Arry Boy his heart is where the money and his ego lays.

Everything looked to be going ok until the 89th minute of his first game against Middlesbrough... 2-0 up, looking comfortable. Two minutes later, 2-2 draw.

Interesting that his first game in charge of us we blew a two goal lead from the 89th minute yet his first proper game in charge at Spurs they came back from two goals down in the 89th minute. It is also strange that one of Middlesbrough's goals was a once a season type 30 yard blast from Downing (I think) whereas Bentley's goal was also a once a season type long-ranger at the death. Seems like old 'Arry has the luck on his side again and just goes to show once again how cursed Saints are!

In terms of his ability, I think if he'd really been up for the job and given it the determination he has in other positions, then we'd have gone straight back up. Actually, that's irrelevant, we never would have gone down. That's why it's more infuriating. If Wigley had taken us down you could argue it's because he was out of his depth, not good enough etc. But Redknapp was more than good enough to keep us up easily, but finished bottom.

i agree with that 100%

that is probably why everyone here hates him so much as he clearly had the ability to have done so much better

There was never any real doubt in my mind that he came to us 'on the rebound' and therefore his heart was never in it, on the other hand there were other factors which didn't help that and which others have alluded to.

Harry coming to Saints could have been great, but in my view it happened at the wrong time and in the wrong way.....

Edited by Wildgoose
Lost the first part of my text somehow so restored it

I've always felt he's a good manager and still do. I was hoping he got the England job ahead of Capello (for positive reasons rather than anti-Pompey reasons.)

But, of course, such rational thought won't go down too well on here....

With you 100% on this - sure he's a wide boy but he is a clever operator and as shrewd as it gets. A nice bloke too - approachable and not up his own backside.

Had he been given the right backing (and I don't mean financial neccesarily) he would have done a good job for us.

With you 100% on this - sure he's a wide boy but he is a clever operator and as shrewd as it gets. A nice bloke too - approachable and not up his own backside.

Had he been given the right backing (and I don't mean financial neccesarily) he would have done a good job for us.

I've always said this.

His own words after he left were "my heart was never in it"...

I don't think he's a crap manager, but I hate him with every bone in my body because he took us down and he couldn't give a flying f*ck. He had the resources to dig us out of trouble but he couldn't give a sh*t and it's no coincidence we finished the league rooted to the bottom. He might say he was gutted but that is purely pride on his side.

Even after he took us down Lowe gave him the opportunity to go, but in true Redknapp fashion he is only interested in a quick quid so decided to stay on and make more money for himself, whilst against not giving a sh*t for anyone elses wellbeing. Only when Mandaric come knocking again did he decide the time was right to f*ck off...by which time we were even iin further sh*t...

Alot of people blame the boardroom for the position we are in at the moment and I agree to some extent, however at least their motives and intentions were in the main right. The same can't be said for Redknapp, he kickstarted the chain of events that saw a proud club who had been in the top flight for 27 years, to a side fielding its reserves, a half-empty stadium and a club fighting off administration and relegation to League One.

I can't see how he gets blamed for that fateful season? Sturrock - the mess with Wigley - and then he Harry came in to try and save us but we were already ****ed! Only one man carry s the can ..... and guess what his hand is on the tillar again! I'm thinking about getting inthe lifeboat already as the Ice Bergs are looming!!

Rupert Lowe and his devisive controlling ego are what is eating the heart out of this club and dividing the fans and shareholders.

Until he has sold his 6% and severed his ties with the club, whatever our league status, the club is unable to move on and recover.

I remember the Middlesborough game because my then 7 year old started to cry...Downing hit a screamer and we went from 2 nil to 2 all in the last 2 minutes.

I am in a minority of people on here because I am not too interested in liking the man merely in assessing his ability to manage. I remember listening to Pompey V Wigan, it would have been one of the last if not the last game of the season and was a must win game when Harry went back there second time round. Nil nil at half time and Harry made a few changes which changed the game and Pompey won 2 nil. I wasn't overly happy that Pompey survived.....but harry was responsible for saving them.

He is now doing the same at Spurs, is it luck? He seems to have a way with players, in getting them to play. I thought the Brazilian goalie that Ramos had brought in was the worst replacement I'd seen but he played superbly last week. Bent has been the biggest waste of £15 million (was it) but not now. Confidence has returned to the side.

Answer this:

If his heart wasn't in it from the beginning, why didn't he say so before it was too late?

It all adds up that he knew he wasn't giving 100% effort to keep us up but didn't care.

I'm convinced that he took the job as a way of getting back at Mandaric. The fact that he ended up rejoining Portsmouth and 'kissed and made up' with Mandaric is all the more astonishing.

If Lowe had kept his beak out of everything football and let the professional he employed (Wii Bagbuss) do the job Plus backed him with the same sort of funds that Booze Burley had, You would of walked the fizzy, the famous remark of (my heart wos not in it) would never have been said,

Mad Mandy let baggy do it his way twice, And both times hit the jackpot.

and its no fluke, every club he has been to and been given full support by the board, Has had a result,

As a man he might be a slimy Medea grabbing two faced git.

But as a manger he has the ability to get most players wanting to play for him giving 100%and getting the right result....

(yep the **** can walk on water)

To me his downfall is he cant admit to defeat and tries to blame it on some other ****

I cant stand the man and i can stand the fact that whenever his C.V. is rolled out his efforts with us are always missing. Why is he held in create esteem? Yes he get results with money but did the wheeling and dealing benefit his various clubs or the man himself. Lets face he is not an honourable man and doesn't have an ethical bone in his body. Turning up to collect to collect his freedom of the city says it all really.

I recently booked a table in a very nice and expensive restuarant, a special once every now and then meal. When i sat at the table the man himself with that woman from the Benidorm programme on TV and Kevin Bond and his partner were sat on the next table. I couldn't stand the thought of being in listening distance of the man let alone part with the best part of £200 for the privilege, i made my excuses and left.

I'm convinced that he took the job as a way of getting back at Mandaric. The fact that he ended up rejoining Portsmouth and 'kissed and made up' with Mandaric is all the more astonishing.

absolutely, its common knowledge

Well?

The C**T took the job of Saints manager on without thinking it through (apparently to get back at Mandaric) He has since confessed that his heart wasn't in it from the start. Oh well thats ok Harry, never mind...BOLLIX the bloke is a grade 'A' C**T for the disrespect he showed this club, and the complete disregard he had for its fans.

Henri Camara

Calum Davenport

Olivier Barnard

Nigel Quashie

Jamie Redknapp

possiblly the worst set of players SFC has ever signed

reason enought to hate him - let alone for his complete lack of commitment to the job at SFC - and his greed in taking the job and the money - even when he got us relegated

Henri Camara

Calum Davenport

Olivier Barnard

Nigel Quashie

Jamie Redknapp

possiblly the worst set of players SFC has ever signed

reason enought to hate him - let alone for his complete lack of commitment to the job at SFC - and his greed in taking the job and the money - even when he got us relegated

Henri Camera was absolute quality the rest were absolute sheite though