Your favourite player to have made absolutely no impact (good or bad) on Saints...

jawillwill

Darren Powell. Far too injured to make any sort of impact for us, but I reckon if we'd have had him consistently fit we could have done much better than we did, I always liked the steel he gave to our backline.

I just want to say that he was one of the worst footballers I have ever seen.Thank god he was injured a lot.

Stern John, for his goals against Sheffield Utd to keep us up.

A player I thought underrated during our premier league years was Simon Charlton, always remember him clearing a last gasp header off the line against Crewe in the Fa cup years ago. We were 3 nil up and cruising, but typically we let them back into the game. All of a sudden it was 3-2 and in the last effort of the match should have been 3-3 but he made a great stop on the line. I think we signed him from Huddersfield and his career here started sluggishly. After a while though his form improved and he was a fairly decent player. Not a world beater by any means but for us at the time, I thought he turned out alright.

Edited by Saint J 77
just noticed the wilderness years part, so ive updated my post :)

Charlie George/Frank Worthington.

Remember Frank giving Villa fans the finger when he was subbed, at The Dell.

Ronnie Ekelund

I don't think you can justifiably say they had little or no impact even in their short time with us. Ekelund was immense.

Frankie looked woeful for the first few months, but really came alive after Christmas, with the cup run. I always thought he started to believe 'Frankie [could] go to Wembley', for the first time in his career for a cup final, and it energised him. (But for that f^cking runt Heath, it would have been)

Richard Wright & Christian Daily. Forgot either played for us until having a think about this. Made me laugh.

Again both contributed in their short time, and many people wanted them to return.

Ronnie Ekelund
- What a player, totally stunning to watch him and Le Tissier and I love the story of how we ended up with him. He'll have a place in Saints fans hearts forever.

My pick would be Jelle Van Damme. Brilliant name, looked the part but had the attitude of a petulant child. Saw him play once and thought he'd be insanely good, then saw him at Plymouth away in a pre-season friendly and couldn't believe the difference.

Belmadi scored a fantastic goal against Crewe Alexandra in our first season down. Remember him running halfway across the pitch to celebrate with the old twitchy bstard. Funnily enough, another who started brightly and then did nothing, much like Saganowski once he'd been given a contract

Alan Bennett looked like he'd never played football before in his life during his debut (Opening Day of 07/08, Jamie Scowcroft got a hat-trick as Palace beat us 4-2 at SMS), but he was pretty solid after that.

Also loved Jhon Viáfara, both for his style of play and for the time that he shot from the edge of the area at the Chapel End and managed to hit the screen hanging from the roof.

Anyone recall Ryan Smith? Apparently had 14 games with us in 2008/09

Only reason i remember him was when he came on as a sub v the whitecaps for Chivas the other day. Literally came on, ran around a bit ad that was it. Was supposed to have a bright future

Kleber Chala. Tin Man Delgado's buddy to keep him company in the treatment room.

Don't think he played 1st team footie for us despite having 86 international caps and winning the league 4 times with Nacional.

His biggest crime was not letting us fans knowing it was Delgado"s birthday, which led to The Tinman getting the huff and never living up to his billing.

Actually I guess The Tinman was even better at acheiving zilch with us at a much higher cost!!

EDIT .... hadn't noticed "the wilderness years"proviso .... however I'd like to keep my boys in as it was deals like this (and airfares and medical costs etc) that

contributed to our downfall.

Edited by ericofarabia

Forcast

the press he gets on here is hilarious despite having no impact what so ever

you would think he was alone in being a crap player having signed for saints

not as if we have never done this before lol

I think it's the 5 year contract bit that hurts, much like the long contract Pulis signed.

Are they selling I've seen Forecast play T Shirts after Saturdays cameo 45 mins? Should be a best seller.

Edited by ericofarabia

So this has now become a "random players from over the years, whether they've contributed or not" thread?

Not certain which of the 2 categories Nathan Dyer fits into. He could be amazing at times even though he looked about 12

Wonder if he'd still be playing with us if it wasn't for that "incident" at Portsmouth with BWP

Views?