"Saints considering Mauricio Pochettino" - Daily Mirror

trousers

Apparently this came from TV3 Catalunya... saw it on Sky Sports news website papertalk earlier this afternoon, although that's now updated from considering to is set to sign.

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/foreign-papertalk

Yeah I took a look and it doesn't appear to be widely reported in the Spanish press, probably because it's not news over there, just whatever has been picked up from the report on TV3 a Catalan tv station with a website. I think I read some rumour of this late last year when Nige was under more pressure. If there's anything in it at all reckon it's old news. Maybe someone sounded him out in November, results picked up and this bloke heard nothing more and is now trying to raise his profile.

Yeah I took a look and it doesn't appear to be widely reported in the Spanish press, probably because it's not news over there, just whatever has been picked up from the report on TV3 a Catalan tv station with a website. I think I read some rumour of this late last year when Nige was under more pressure. If there's anything in it at all reckon it's old news. Maybe someone sounded him out in November, results picked up and this bloke heard nothing more and is now trying to raise his profile.

Alex Goring Crook ‏@alex_crook

Would b strange time for #saintsfc to part company with Nigel Adkins after upturn in results but Spanish press seem convinced change afoot

Tom Williams ‏@shirleymush

@reluctantnicko http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/southampton-eye-mauricio-pochettino-ex-coach-1542392 … Does this smell right to you?

View summary

50m Alan Nixon ‏@reluctantnicko

@shirleymush Doesn't speak a word of English

Hide conversation Reply Favorite

2:54 PM - 17 Jan 13 · Details

Tweet text

Reply to @reluctantnicko @shirleymush

Image will appear as a link

46m Tom Williams ‏@shirleymush

@reluctantnicko Haha, thanks.

Expand

Just done a trawl back through Twitter to see where the source of this rumour came from. Appears to be Spanish TV show "Punta Pelota" on 9th January - associated web article here: http://www.intereconomia.com/noticias-/punto-pelota/pochettino-se-reunio-southampton-20130109

Bablefish translation of that original Spanish article:

As you might know Punto Pelota, the Argentine coach held a meeting in England with the Manager of the entity. The 'saints' accumulate five matches without a win and his coach, Nigel Adkins, is in loose rope.

Southampton is 17th in the Premier League with just 18 points in 20 games, he has only won four games and already accumulated five games without knowing the victory.

The rojiblanco set is a newly promoted to the top flight of English football and is studying the possibility of making the services of Pochettino, who left Espanyol last November. The meeting produced in a Southampton hotel might return to the Santa Fé to the bench.

All seems to point back to before we went on our current decent run.

Gary Linton ‏@AlbaEspana

Ex Espanyol manager Mauricio Pochettino will be appointed the new manager of Southampton either tomorrow or Monday according to TMW.

Retweeted by Neil Allen

As the chief Pompey News Sport Editor has retweeted it, safe to say that it is no more than a rumour, as those who frequent the PTS thread will be well aware of Mr Allen's journalistic abilities ;)

Gary Linton ‏@AlbaEspana

Ex Espanyol manager Mauricio Pochettino will be appointed the new manager of Southampton either tomorrow or Monday according to TMW.

Retweeted by Neil Allen

As the chief Pompey News Sport Editor has retweeted it, safe to say that it is no more than a rumour, as those who frequent the PTS thread will be well aware of Mr Allen's journalistic abilities ;)

Yep, saw that. A tad 'pots and kettles' for a journo that accuses Saints fans of being obsessed with their rivals....

The media keep coming up with these stories which suggests there is some truth in some of them. I personally think cortesi has made sure he has a plan b and even a plan c in place in case he pulls the trigger on adkins.

As it current stands adkins has backing of both fans and players and there is no way cortesi will sack him now as he will look like a right plum.

Adkins was allegedly very close to the boot after WBA loss but since then his tactics and team selection has improved beyond doubt as well as players becoming accustomed to the PL . Adkins will always be looking over his shoulder but maybe that's how cortesi wants it to be and seemingly adkins thrives under this pressure.

I cant see the point really...seemed a decent sort when i have seen him interviewed on tv and did pretty well his first season at Español but hardly set the league on fire since. Up and coming maybe but why get rid of Adkins unless its for someone proven as obviously top class.

http://www.todomercadoweb.es/?action=read&id=32384

This "exclusive" says he would have signed already but would sign Monday to avoid problems with the current Manager. The so called exclusive is from sources close to Porchettino. Doesn't sound credible to me.

So we play Everton Monday with a new manager at the helm for at best half a day?? That tells me its all BS.

Ill go with this. Oh and maybe NC was speaking to this guy but about players and not becoming our next manager.

Well we will have a next manager sometime so I think it is good that if this is true that Cortese is looking to see what managers are available

Even if we get relegated which I feel is very unlikely at the moment Adkins has done well and should remain as manager.

The shame is that we have not been that clever in the transfer market not getting a GK or CBs earlier otherwise we could be in mid table

Bablefish translation of that original Spanish article:

All seems to point back to before we went on our current decent run.

Not really based on those stats, it's fairly recent. Cracks me up that people on here think this stuff must be completely made up, just because they don't like it.

I'll be the first to admit that there was a time (before QPR away comes to mind) when our results were pretty terrible and I thought the managers position was in real danger. However its as plain as the nose on your face that both he, and his team, have now found their feet at this level and our chances of avoiding relegation look better than 50/50 I'd say.

None knows what will happen in the summer, but to even consider sacking Nigel Adkins at this time would be the height of folly.