"Saints considering Mauricio Pochettino" - Daily Mirror

trousers

**** me.

Don't say you weren't warned...

Exactly. This forum makes me laugh. Refuse to believe news from national journalists. Worship Cortese and ignore what those of us ITK said about him. And are now winging when things turn out how they didn't expect them. This is what all you Cortese fans have wanted. Chasing the Champions LEague dream. Remember where we were 3 years ago etc, etc......

Balague on SSN now talking appointment with detail.

"They had a meeting and decided that Southampton was right for Pochettino and Pochettino was right for Southampton".

"His problems at Espanyol were because the money ran out and he had to sell his best players".

ok i know ppl are angry at this but maybe there were reasons, maybe the name Adkins couldn't attract players that we have been linked with? Some players like going to "known" managers, i'm sure NA would have got a good name over time but maybe NC has greater plans with very good players lined up? Only time will tell, would like to thank Nigel for the last 2 years of hard work and good luck to the future.

Southampton Football Club has this morning appointed Mauricio Pochettino as First Team Manager, having relieved Nigel Adkins of his managerial duties.

snip

Executive Chairman, Nicola Cortese said:

“Mauricio is a well-respected coach of substantial quality who has gained a reputation as an astute tactician and excellent man manager. I have every confidence that he will inspire our talented squad of players to perform at the highest possible level.

“He also shares my belief that the most successful clubs are built by nurturing young players through a development system that provides a clear path to the First Team, thereby creating a culture that keeps them at the Club for the long term. This is an approach he has employed with great success in the past and I look forward to him bringing that experience and expertise to Southampton.”

OK, if Pochettino brings the above qualities, so what?

Adkins is an "astitute tactician" and "excellent man manager"; Adkins brought in the lads from the youth squad.

So NC would apear to have replaced a tried-and-trusted popular manager who had all the qualities NC admires and replaced him with an untested former player who speaks no English.

This would appear to be a backward move.

Had NC replaced NA with someone with real pedigree (and, yes, by this I mean people of the calibre of Mourinho et al) then maybe I could have understood it, but, so far, I can't for the life of me work out where there has been an improvement.

alex crook a skate windup merchant if ever there was one.

The players are more than happy with Nigel , so why would we want to change him. the red tops etc hate southampton , they do nopt like to see another team outside the top six who may just be about to challenge them . Plus we have stopped selling our best players to tthose who bid the most

Oh isnt the mirror a northern paper , so they are probably miffed we have signed and retained some of our top players. I hope we can get a positive result against man u. i really want to wipe the smug grin of fergies face.

This is still probably my favourite post of the day. Great all round thread as well.

Next time everyone goes 'but it's only the Mirror' - no truth etc, let's remember this one.

To be fair, there has been a few things in there about Adkins leaving (Di Matteo/Gross etc) which were dismissed. Which makes you ask the question, how close were these to joining ? I remember someone saying last summer than if Di Matteo wasn't given the Chelsea job, he would have been given ours. Ties in with NA's interview after Coventry, him knowing that he was probably not going to be given a chance in the Premiership.

I'd love to hear it from NA's side, but i'd be surprised if that happens just like Pardew.

The Mirror clearly has a few ties with Saints though, as things seem to be broken by them first. Especially Nixon and John Cross.

• 4 months later...
You're not the only coming out with knee jerk waffle on this thread, myself included

Yeah but most of those won't be able to laugh at how knee jerk it was!

Edited by Appy