"Saints considering Mauricio Pochettino" - Daily Mirror

trousers

Same original source that called the Benitez to Chelsea deal a good 3 days before the British media picked up on it. Make of that what you will!

Will be sad to see Adkins go, but like in all businesses, especially football, if there is the option for a better person to do a job, then the opportunity has to be taken. It'll be a gamble, but as I seem to remember the same type of reaction from the fans when we sacked Pardew and many questioning why such a big gamble was taken to install Adkins. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Maybe having a more continental manager would help us to secure more lucrative continental players which we seem to be after (Astori/Coutinho etc - the latter having played under Pochettino IIRC) and will suit the players we have better. Ramirez for example, he hasn't exactly set the world alight, is this due Adkins style of management/play? who knows.

If this deal does happen, I will be sad to see Adkins go, as I think most of the fanbase would. My biggest concern isn't Pochettino, it's the fan reaction. What we mustn't start doing is voive any frustration onto the new manager and/or the team. Not his fault he's been offered a job. I no doubt some will take it out on him, and they'll most probably be the ones who have screamed at those who have stated they do not believe Adkins is up for the job. But that's life.

Will it be the end of the world if Adkins goes, No. Will it be the end of the world if Poichettino comes in, No. Let's get behind the team and leave the running of the club to those who's job it is to do so. If they think it's the best thing to do for the football club then so be it.

Same original source that called the Benitez to Chelsea deal a good 3 days before the British media picked up on it. Make of that what you will!

Will be sad to see Adkins go, but like in all businesses, especially football, if there is the option for a better person to do a job, then the opportunity has to be taken. It'll be a gamble, but as I seem to remember the same type of reaction from the fans when we sacked Pardew and many questioning why such a big gamble was taken to install Adkins. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Maybe having a more continental manager would help us to secure more lucrative continental players which we seem to be after (Astori/Coutinho etc - the latter having played under Pochettino IIRC) and will suit the players we have better. Ramirez for example, he hasn't exactly set the world alight, is this due Adkins style of management/play? who knows.

If this deal does happen, I will be sad to see Adkins go, as I think most of the fanbase would. My biggest concern isn't Pochettino, it's the fan reaction. What we mustn't start doing is voive any frustration onto the new manager and/or the team. Not his fault he's been offered a job. I no doubt some will take it out on him, and they'll most probably be the ones who have screamed at those who have stated they do not believe Adkins is up for the job. But that's life.

Will it be the end of the world if Adkins goes, No. Will it be the end of the world if Poichettino comes in, No. Let's get behind the team and leave the running of the club to those who's job it is to do so. If they think it's the best thing to do for the football club then so be it.

****** to that if this happens I'm rioting.

Balague is also an Espanyol fan which was Pochettino's last club so he may be in the know, however I still think these rumours are just thata rumour

Funny why Adkins' odds have fallen dramatically over the last 30 mins to be the next Premier League manager to leave. Down to 1/5.

Agree with everything you've written. Having witnessed the toxic atmosphere at Chelsea earlier this week, were we to replicate this then we would do far more harm than good. I can't remember fans protesting ever resulting in a manager being re-instated.

Edited by Katalinic

Another nail in the coffin for football and loyalty. If it happens, I can promise I won't set foot inside SMS again.

We're unbeaten in 5 league games and are comfortably out of the drop zone for now. Even I, with my left-field thinking, am of the opinion this f**king lunacy.

This must be about something else. A major bust-up over transfer activity ?

Cant see Forren or anyone else signing if this is taking place.

With NA we have a good chance to stay up, with Pocahontas we have none.

Pochettino was sacked alongside sporting director Ramon Planes at Espanyol. Would make sense of the "two of the cleaverest guys".

This would be a disaster all round. Sacking a manager popular with the players and fans, just as the season is turning round, and replacing him with a mediocre name at best.

Another nail in the coffin for football and loyalty. If it happens, I can promise I won't set foot inside SMS again.

unfortunately, there is no room for sentiment in football nowadays. It's the same kind of thing with Sharp/KD. Both played big parts in us getting where we are now, as has Adkins, but are they the right people to take us to the next step?

And as for your comment, if you aren't going to support the team (11 players and manager no matter who they are) then don't bother turning up anyway.

I want Adkins to remain as manager but agree with the common sense in this post. I would hope that we are cleverer fans than Chelsea's.

Has anyone got the number for The Echo? Wouldn't mind them taking a picture of me looking really sad whilst holding my season ticket up.

take it yourself and tweet/email it to them. Modern technology and all that. Make sure you stand next to the parking machine at the ground too, just so they know

It seems to me that there are people out there trying to destabilise the club. Who,it is hard to tell but there seem to be people who wish to undermine the club.

I hope it is not true

Yeah I agree. I posted this earlier...Whenever something good happens at the club there, it is always followed by some negative cr@p like this. For example. We start moving up the League 1 table and there were rumours that Cortese was leaving going to Italy. Then we start brightly in the championship last year and suddenly there are rumours the Liebherr family want to sell the club. Now results and the team are massively improved and there is a rumour the Cortese s going to sack Nigel for some no hoper. I may not have all the false rumours in the right order here and there have been many more so you can see the pattern here. There certainly does seems to be some dark forces at work because I just can't believe this is true!

If this is a big wind up, which i hope to God it is, then it has worked!

Why the f*ck would it be a wind up? It's in most of the nationals, being reported in Spain and all over twitter. Do you think they dont have anything better to do?

227 posts about a Daily Mirror story that may as well say its going to be 25C on Monday. FFS

So we should just ignore it?

Yes, it was in the Daily Mirror but several journo's have picked it up and even Adam Blackmore at the solent seems to think there could be something it in. Added to the fact that more prominent journos are indicating that something will happen, people for whom Saints aren't normally on their radar, I'd say it's fair enough to discuss it.

Guillem Balague‏@GuillemBalague

I have been told 2day a great friend of mine will get his dream come true! U will all be talking about it later. What a clever replacement!

A quick Google search has found Balague's thoughts on Pochettino:

PRAISE FOR POCHETTINO

Hi Guillem, How highly do you rate Espanyol boss Mauricio Pochettino? Could he become the next Real Madrid manager? Thanks, David Fullam (Liverpool fan)

GUILLEM SAYS: I REALLY rate Pochettino. I know all about the job he does with Espanyol and he goes hand-in-hand with the director of football, Ramon Planes. They are hardworking and very modern in their approach; they base everything on possession and pressure high up the pitch. It's the kind of football that you like to see at a big club and I see Pochettino going to a Sevilla or a Valencia and we will definitely see him at Real Madrid at some point. Not yet, though, because he's doing a great job with Espanyol and I hopes he stays for a long time at our club

I'm afraid to say I think this is actually happening.

Here's his managerial record season by season at Espanyol, had a solid mid table side until it all went tits up for him this season and he got the sack. Rather we stuck with NA.

P-------W ---D-----------L ---GS--GC---Points--PPG--Pos

12/13 -

Primera División 13 2 3 8 13 : 22 9 0,69 20 (sacked)

11/12 -

Primera División 38 12 10 16 46 : 56 46 1,21 14

10/11 -

Primera División 38 15 4 19 46 : 55 49 1,29 8

09/10 -

Primera División 38 11 11 16 29 : 46 44 1,16 11

08/09 -

Primera División 19 9 5 5 29 : 17 32 1,68 10 (18th when he was appointed)

Edited by MOSaint

As was 'Arry, Di Matteo & Gross.

Yet none were appointed?

Normally I'd agree but the delay in the Forren signing and the Guillem Balague tweets have got me wondering. With a scheduled press conference imminent I suspect we will know either way very soon.