Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Saint Scott

Don't really get how anyone can hate on Becks. Just jealous (understandably).

He's a total legend in my eyes. That Greece goal/performance is something we'll never see again. Passion.

For about 3/4 years, Beckham was the England team.

Dragged it by the scruff of the neck. The current team could do with someone similar. Seems Terry/Gerrard have never been quite capable of this.

Beckham has done alright hasnt he..

Manchester United

Real Madrid....both whilst at the peak of his game..

stints at AC Milan

5 years or so in LA

and now some work in Paris....

Pretty decent for someone who is essentially a decent player but essentially a one trick pony. He was never world class as many suggest.

Our first XI is as good as anys in the bottom half IMO. Our backups are adequate while not as good as the first 11, and anything over that are poor. But can only be expected of a promotion side in first season. This is how I would split them...

Boruc, Clyne, Fonte, Yoshi, Forren, Shaw, Cork, Morgan, Gaston, Lallana, Punch, J-Rod, Lambert have all shown they are good enough to start in the Prem.

Would say that Hooiveld, Fox, Davis, JWP, Chaplow, Guly, Mayuka, can all do a job when needed.

Davis, Gazza, Richardson, Butterfield, Martin, Forte, Barnard, De Ridder, Lee aren't good enough IMO.

Pretty decent for someone who is essentially a decent player but essentially a one trick pony. He was never world class as many suggest.

he was easily world class in his day......there was no one else that was better than him in his position on the planet...until C.Ronaldo had a season a couple of seasons at united....

but that is for another thread

Sky Sports News@SkySportsNewsDavid Beckham will donate his entire PSG salary to a French charity #skydeadlineday

Absoloute legend.

That's not all that much of an ask when you're worth £160m. Short of buying his own Formula 1 team or aircraft carrier, Beckham has more cash than he could probably spend in 2 lifetimes. Giving away his salary for a 5 month contract at PSG, whilst commendable, isn't really all that special.

I'm guessing that it's looking more and more like Mauricio's decision is that we're not going to bring anyone in who's able to improve the squad? The feedback from journos like Simon Peach and Alex Crook hinted strongly that there were likely to be no new arrivals. Would be good if the club confirmed that we're all done and dusted with Forren the only arrival but I guess there's always the hope of a last minute opportunity all the while they don't!

Our first XI is as good as anys in the bottom half IMO. Our backups are adequate while not as good as the first 11, and anything over that are poor. But can only be expected of a promotion side in first season. This is how I would split them...

Boruc, Clyne, Fonte, Yoshi, Forren, Shaw, Cork, Morgan, Gaston, Lallana, Punch, J-Rod, Lambert have all shown they are good enough to start in the Prem.

Would say that Hooiveld, Fox, Davis, JWP, Chaplow, Guly, Mayuka, can all do a job when needed.

Davis, Gazza, Richardson, Butterfield, Martin, Forte, Barnard, De Ridder, Lee aren't good enough IMO.

HOw much of that squad wil be there when we are challenging for Europe? Now that will be a transition in 3 years? 3/4 players per window?

That's not all that much of an ask when you're worth £160m. Short of buying his own Formula 1 team or aircraft carrier, Beckham has more cash than he could probably spend in 2 lifetimes. Giving away his salary for a 5 month contract at PSG, whilst commendable, isn't really all that special.

Nothing forcing him too.

Plenty of people way better off are far more greedy and rapacious. Bono for example is a billionaire, and yet sits on his ivory tower lecturing the rest of us.

Just applaud the guy for a good gesture.

HOw much of that squad wil be there when we are challenging for Europe? Now that will be a transition in 3 years? 3/4 players per window?

I would go with Clyne,Yoshi, Forren, Shaw, Cork, Morgan, Gaston, Lallana, J-Rod, and possibly JWP and Mayuka depending on how they develop. It all depends how whether we can keep hold of them anyway

It is to that charity and he didn't have to do it.

I think we massively over rate our own players...... Have you looked at the league table lately?

It's more of rating potential though isn't it. In 3/4 years they'll be in their peaks. I could see Morgan/Cork/Clyne/Shaw/Gaston all playing for their countries and good enough to play in Europe. Likelihood is we won't be in Europe anyway so the question is pretty irrelevant.

I think we massively over rate our own players...... Have you looked at the league table lately?

The League table tells a tale indeed, mainly that Adkins was totally incompetent over the goalkeeping situation last summer.

Lost 8 out of our first 10, 4 points from 10 games, 19 from 14 since then. 19 from 14 gives you 51 points or so for a season, comfortably top half. I am really surprised that NC let the Adkins GK fiasco go on for so long.

I would go with Clyne,Yoshi, Forren, Shaw, Cork, Morgan, Gaston, Lallana, J-Rod, and possibly JWP and Mayuka depending on how they develop. It all depends how whether we can keep hold of them anyway

So that spine of a squad is good enough for European football or do we have to buy a first team XI so they will now become th squad players?

Sorry my cup of tea just went over me that we are discussing Garton Ramirez being at Southampton in 3 years time.

The League table tells a tale indeed, mainly that Adkins was totally incompetent over the goalkeeping situation last summer.

Lost 8 out of our first 10, 4 points from 10 games, 19 from 14 since then. 19 from 14 gives you 51 points or so for a season, comfortably top half. I am really surprised that NC let the Adkins GK fiasco go on for so long.

Adkins didn't lose those points the players he and or Cortese bought/played did.

It's more of rating potential though isn't it. In 3/4 years they'll be in their peaks. I could see Morgan/Cork/Clyne/Shaw/Gaston all playing for their countries and good enough to play in Europe. Likelihood is we won't be in Europe anyway so the question is pretty irrelevant.

Someone needs start a 'how good is our squad' for me to discuss this anymorel.

This is the transfer deadline day thread and i dont want to go off topic.

I dont doubt Cortese and his methods for a second, I think we will be playing in a 55,000 safe standing stadium with me watching them playing City for 3rd place in 3 seasons, I can well see that, pack stadiums, queues for tickets, players queueing to come here.....................

He's a total legend in my eyes. That Greece goal/performance is something we'll never see again. Passion.

I was at that game. The block I was in was full of Scousers and Mancs arguing with each other and mugging off the players on each others teams. The Scousers still celebrated when Beckham scored though. He carried the team that day like Matty did here for 4 seasons.