Rodriguez, there is potential!

Mr X

Happy to admit i may have been a bit harsh on him. I basically said he will never make it as a decent premiership striker but the the game against Tesco united was without doubt the best hes been his workrate was ridiculous and his movement caused them numerous problems. I certainly hope it wasnt a flash in the pan and he continues to improve. Is he premiership quality? time will tell i guess

It always amazes me how quick some people are to write players off. Look at Yoshida for instance who struggled to begin with in a very shaky defence but is now proving to be a very shrewd buy. With JRod he simply has not played enough games, he clearly needs a decent run in the side in his natural position. What has counted against him is the form of SRL, no one knew for certain that he wold carry on his form from the Championship but he has.

Needs to be some reassessment of what a decent PL striker is now. Aren't exactly many goal machines out there. He's shown to too good for the Championship and not looked out of place in this league, even out of position.

Definitely on the reassessment stuff. Good strikers do a lot more than be goal-scoring machines. And at the level we are at, we are probably only gonna have one 'big scoring' striker. And even if you look at Lambert, he does a lot more than score goals with his hold up play and assists and so on.

It always amazes me how quick some people are to write players off. Look at Yoshida for instance who struggled to begin with in a very shaky defence but is now proving to be a very shrewd buy. With JRod he simply has not played enough games, he clearly needs a decent run in the side in his natural position. What has counted against him is the form of SRL, no one knew for certain that he wold carry on his form from the Championship but he has.

And look at Jos who had a torrid time in the early games but is doing a lot better since his return to the team

I said already after the game against West Brom that I think J-Rod is just as good as a footballer as Shane Long but Long has another mentality on the pitch.

If J-Rod toughen up a bit and starts bullyiing defenders he will be just as good and perhaps it´s just down to lack of experience on this level.

When he gets more of that he will turn out very good....

And look at Jos who had a torrid time in the early games but is doing a lot better since his return to the team

he was immense for us in the championship and can be a decent back up player. is fonte fit again now?

Give JRod the correct service (ground hugging balls through the channels) and he'll score.

Remember his FAC goal against Chelsea? The ball was played down the channel and JRod applied a classy finish.

The midfield have to give him the correct ammunition as he's got what it takes IMO.

Jrod has definitely disappointed a little, but his potential is huge. He needs to be better with his back to goal, hold up play and needs to beef up a little IMO.

doesnt help being played out of position mind, seems poor on the left but was better on the right on weds

I'd just like to bump up this thread in a desperate attempt to add some sense and possitivity to the evening.

Thought JRod was excellent today, lots of great running and a superb assist for the second. He's not Usain Bolt quick but he's definitely got a turn of pace and can run in behind players.

Thinking about it, today he actual got 2 very good assists, jumping well for the first goal. Starting to look well worth his £7m price tag and the goals will start coming soon. If he can get 10 in all competitions by the end of the season, that would be an excellent return. Maybe a bit ambitious but that should be his target.

He was electric, absolutely everywhere today. Knew he had a good first touch on him but that also translated to some very nice Lallana-esque skill on the edge of Wigan's box on several occasions. Showed top quality and great patience for the delivery in to Schneiderlin.

I was afraid he would turn into a solid battling forward who can apply pressure on the defense but who poses little goal threat. Today's showing can't entirely dispel that fear but he has shown that he is a real assett in our offensive play. The way he set up Davis against Chelsea showed a glimpse of his technical ability and today he continued in that vein with some excellent touches.

The assist for Lambert was a show of power and the assist for Morgan was pure persistence. Great game from Jay...

Ramirez is a quality player.

Arsene Wenger said that when he sign young player from abroad he expects about 50% performance in first season due to settling into country/culture.

Ramirez is also younger than Rodriguez, Scheiderlin, Cork, Puncheon, Lallana and only few month older than Clyne - often noticed at home players looking to him when under pressure of stuck for ideas.

Got feeling these threads will be yet more that show the usual suspects are wrong.

And those slagging off Ramirez should remember he is younger than Rodriguez and settling into a new country.

That's a very good point. I've not been that impressed with Ramirez so far, but I hadn't considered his age in my evauation. I think also his price tag heavily influences the way people think about him.

I'm sold.

Thought he was a waste of money in my total knee jerk ways

I think he is a cracking player and sort of commanded his place in the team

Pace. Good finisher. Can work either flank.

Just needs a little more strength on the ball. But I am sold on him

:lol:

That's a very good point. I've not been that impressed with Ramirez so far, but I hadn't considered his age in my evauation. I think also his price tag heavily influences the way people think about him.

Ramirez has certainly shown flashes but I think he's having difficult coming to terms with the physicality of the English game. Went off with a dead leg again yesterday, think he picked that up fairy early on. Don't know if it's the same leg that kept him out for a few games a while back but he certainly seems to pick up dead-legs easily.