Dr Bearsy

tpbury

The full post was:

i genuine thought Rip Mooro was gonna be a potential signing from canada or something.

Glad he got good send-off or whatever!

After a respectful period of mourning i'll come back to make cracks bout the daughter touching everyone present

Just to give it the full context when seen on a thread about an ex-players funeral.

Is this supposed to explain the banning?

People have said much worse on here yet still post.

My suspicion is that he's too much hard work for you. He got around your piss poor swear-filter, which probably irks you. F*ck knows why this is even in place. Are you aiming the site at under 5s? Worried that you'll lose the easily offended? Personally, I think you've massively misjudged your demographic and this situation.

There is not a single person who reads this site regularly that would take that comment seriously.

More news from the after life:

tell paps to chill i don't want blood feud with chalet he might not let me come home! he might of mentioned the second bit was in secret colour so you couldn't hardly see it tho. I feel this was extenuations! Also he could give me 30 seconds to edit stuff!

Bearsy is "considering his position" on southampton football forums yo!

Yo I fink I found somefing that can sort of explain this misalignment and its all about interpretation.

"Comedy is not a science, it's art. Therefore there are no rules and it can be very subjective. What one person finds funny another might cringe at."

The mods have just tried to constrain art yo ! What next Sistine Chapel gets torn down as it didn't have the right planning permission yo ?

I also miss Deppo, I wondered if Bearsy was Dog, but it dont matter. Genuinely Bear was one that I could always rely on for a genuine lol

Like back in the day with saintkip and Dog and master bates when Chalet wasnt being the most tedious mod we have ever had. Really dont get what all the bloody fuss is about, I thought forums were supposed to be light hearted with a bit of banter

Sorry for the over seriousness of this post

Yo fo shizzle

Just to clarify, he wasn't banned for this one post - but hitting 10 infraction points.

I've seen some of the reasons that these infraction points are handed out for. What's the best one? Stamping on people's dreams? :D

You may model your infraction system on the driving points scheme, but they're not really the same things. You repeatedly refuse to address the issue of profanity on here, and infract people for bs reasons, while letting vile little turds get away with some truly hateful stuff. Bearsy was the most amusing poster on here, bar none - you've banned him because he broke too many of these crappy little rules, yet fail to address the larger issues on the site.

Go out on the public internet. Community moderation has been around for a long time. People have come up with more inventive ways to deal with dubious content than you've managed to conjure here, from +/- systems, poster reputation. Problem for you is that if you implemented any of them, you'd see how unpopular this decision is.

Banned for a pun. Mostly harmless, and was already in the process of being edited anyway.

This forum is moderated awfully.

Genuinely disruptive and monotonous tits are allowed to dominate whilst genuinely entertaining posters end up getting banned.

Hence I no longer waste five quid or much of my time on here.

that alpine saint fella

The full post was:

i genuine thought Rip Mooro was gonna be a potential signing from canada or something.

After a respectful period of mourning i'll come back to make cracks bout the daughter touching everyone present

Just to give it the full context when seen on a thread about an ex-players funeral.

I'm not going to join in the collective kicking of 'The Mods', but I do have to flag a couple of points here St Chalet.

Firstly, I'm guessing that you felt that the Bear's comments were in bad taste, and I'd struggle to disagree with you, so you removed the post and infracted the Bear. Why did you then feel it was OK to reproduce the same infraction-worthy post verbatim on this thread? What had stopped it being in such bad taste that it resulted, even by the totting up procedure, in a ban for one of the most popular posters?

If we're to be told what we can and can't read and form opinions on, then surely this sort of corrupting content should be kept away from us here too? My tongue is firmly in my cheek as I type this St Chalet, but I hope my point stands. If it was that bad that it warranted an infraction, how can it be right to post it here? Can you self-infract?

Secondly, I suspect you posted it here because you wanted to justify the infraction and show Bear as someone who pushed the boundary of humour too far. Seeing humour in the aftermath of the death of an ex-player is pretty raw for some. For my sins, I tittered when I read it, and pretty instantly admonished myself for laughing. By posting it here, I'm sure many people will have done the same. Like me they've probably also had the chance to reflect and might have decided that given the rules of the site and the fact that moderators are the sole feedback mechanism and arbiter of right and wrong, they can see why you did what you did.

That said, English would have to be your second language to not see the almost apologetic way in which the Bear tagged that pun on the end. He'd passed on his best wishes first, albeit accompanied by his customary "whatever", and he had suggested in the pun that he acknowledged that now might not be the best time to make that pun. Now the Bear is not the article-dropping, gerund-loving language arse that he purports to me. This was him, trying, as gently as he could, to not miss the open goal opportunity that the OP obviously unwittingly provided. Wrong? Probably. Hate-filled trashing of a fallen ex-player? No.

I'd propose, as pap has suggested, that you discuss a new approach to moderation with the other members of the team, and look for a way for 'us' to do more of the policing of this site.

If you had had the time to watch that thread for a while and observe the reaction, I'm guessing that it might have quickly gone off-topic and that was probably your rationale for taking the action you did. But imagine a forum where we allowed people to admonish Bearsy and push him to remove or edit his post and perhaps even apologise. Imagine a forum that sees reputation points as the currency of status and not post count. Imagine if we had each reacted negatively and removed reputation points from the Bear, what would his reaction have been? Imagine if that sort of peer pressure meant something on here, instead of feeling helpless and waiting, often in vain, for the Mods to intervene. And if all else fails, and the community has failed to police its own, then the moderators step in. I'd confidently predict that such a forum would give you each less to do, help to remove those edge-case posts, and it would bring in more curry-buying fivers.

I apologise for using The Muppet Show as a surrogate Site Suggestions thread, but I noticed that you were monitoring the thread. Please take this in the spirit of constructive criticism.

I like having bletchy back. Reading his posts (well scanning over them) fells educational. There were some good points there and it also helps with napping - double bubble. Some may think it is just a massive coincidence that bletch comes back on the very same day bear is banned but I know the truth, eh blechy bear?

Bear hates all this fuss, well not exactly, bear likes all the fuss but hates the thought that all the other fuss may cause a problem between him and the fastest mod in the south. With that in mind, I am going to stoke it up a little more. Bear got 4 infraction points in the last week or so. He got 2 for resurrecting a defunct (crap) thread called 'the saints web quiz' and making it lols. He changed it into a thread quiz about forum users i.e. which saints web forum member genuinely has baths with his father in law? Unfortunately, the police closed the thread down and infracted bear before we found out any vital answers. I guess we will never know the answer to that one!

The other 2 were for the pun. As convict correctly said, comedy is like an art, there are no rules to it. What some people find offensive, other will laugh at. Egg and myself found this as we are on very different scales on what is offensive and what is not. It's a tricky one a I am the sort of person who would laugh at a friend's funeral, why not? Did the person not like a laugh when they were alive? Did they want a load of people moping around dressed in black crying and feeling sorry for themselves? This doesn't sound like anyone I'd be friends with. However, I do understand all people are different, and many are far more sensitive than I am and want a much more sensitive world. The question is where do you draw the line to keep every one happy?

From the reaction on this forum, it seems like the nanny state has misjudged the line that the users of the forum want.

Edited by Tokyo-Saint

I apologise for using The Muppet Show as a surrogate Site Suggestions thread, but I noticed that you were monitoring the thread. Please take this in the spirit of constructive criticism.

Don't apologise for this Bletch, a suggestion made here is more likely to get a response than one made in the actual site suggestions area, where the moderation team don't even bother to respond to many suggestions people come up with.

Hi mods

Can you also ban convict colony please. He is offending my sensitive beliefs yo.

Don't be such a grass, you're better than that, you've been spending too much time following Hypo around the forum -1 reputations point

Hi mods

Can you also ban spud please? He is offending my sensitive beliefs yo and comparing me to hypo.

Cheerz!

Anyways I've seen you boys in the reverse world of not606 and those mods are even dumber telling you to mug off to Beefy's thread, that dude seems like a proper dumb mod.

Thanks to saintbletch for a much more reasonable assessment of the situation than I can muster under these circumstances, and would second his call for a discussion on how you're going to moderate stuff in the future.

This is a paid service, and no arse licking, the best Saints forum for me personally, but as a 38 year old bloke, seeing one of the best posters disappear because he's tripped your very arbitrary standards of moderation has made my experience poorer. I genuinely wonder who it is the mods think they are serving. We're all big boys and girls, we've all heard worse, and as bletch points out, if it was so bad, why reprint it verbatim.

I too welcome saintbletch back to the site. Not only does he belong to my largely unspecified inner circle ( he is not yet aware of this ) but he also manages to ask questions that are both difficult and reasonable all at the same time.

Do give the post the respect it deserves, ta.

Thanks to saintbletch for a much more reasonable assessment of the situation than I can muster under these circumstances, and would second his call for a discussion on how you're going to moderate stuff in the future.

This is a paid service, and no arse licking, the best Saints forum for me personally, but as a 38 year old bloke, seeing one of the best posters disappear because he's tripped your very arbitrary standards of moderation has made my experience poorer. I genuinely wonder who it is the mods think they are serving. We're all big boys and girls, we've all heard worse, and as bletch points out, if it was so bad, why reprint it verbatim.

I too welcome saintbletch back to the site. Not only does he belong to my largely unspecified inner circle ( he is not yet aware of this ) but he also manages to ask questions that are both difficult and reasonable all at the same time.

Do give the post the respect it deserves, ta.

Whoo hoo I'm younger than Pap

The full post was:

F*ck me, get a grip you idiot. If that results in a ban then you'd just as well shut the forum down.

I'm glad he did. I thought it was funny as F*ck!

So offensive that the post was deleted and the poster was banned.

But apparently not offensive enough to reprint to justify a moderator's decision.

Ironically, St Chalet's contribution is the first post you'll find on SaintsWeb to carry this heinous insult.

So, best poster banned, and yet the offensive content reprinted anyway. I have to ask. Could this actually have been moderated any worse?

So offensive that the post was deleted and the poster was banned.

But apparently not offensive enough to reprint to justify a moderator's decision.

Ironically, St Chalet's contribution is the first post you'll find on SaintsWeb to carry this heinous insult.

So, best poster banned, and yet the offensive content reprinted anyway. I have to ask. Could this actually have been moderated any worse?

Unfortunately its a by-product of having to have moderators such as the moronic St. Chalet and that other dribbling pansy Jimmy D. Hell in a handcart etc....

Yo. I think the mods was right.

gives the Bear a two weeks holidays.

Now they needs to go one further. Give him a pre-emptive extra ban of another two weeks so that he can start again in a month's time with -10 infarction points. Keep him off line for a whole month I say.

That way I won't miss any quality posts while I am travelling without data roaming while doing the upgrade from FMDP to Mrs DP & the whole honeymoons and all.

Bring him backs end of June and unbannable until we reach the CL.

Perfect