Saints Catering Lost a few Customers

John Boy Saint

Those attacking the thread seem to have little understanding of the necessity for a Club to maximise its profit and loyalty through all its services. Taking £10 less per customer is circa £300,000 a game and £6m less in a season. That £6m would pay the wages of a top player (or several).

This thread's a fine example to use, to highlight why many people probably don't bother to express an opinion on here any more!

I remember the brilliant, balanced and informative threads we used to have on here about the standard of pies at the stadium. Great, great days.

No wonder all the good pie eaters don't post on here anymore.

Those attacking the thread seem to have little understanding of the necessity for a Club to maximise its profit and loyalty through all its services. Taking £10 less per customer is circa £300,000 a game and £6m less in a season. That £6m would pay the wages of a top player (or several).

I'm fairly sure that the average punter doesn't pay £10 on food and drink at the ground. Most will either buy nothing, or will have a drink at half time. Probably only around 5% - 10% that actually buy any of the (incredibly sh*t) food.

A bit of a pointless stat. Why not use an example of £20 less per customer? That is just as unlikely as £10. I seriously doubt the average spend of everyone in attendance (even if the catering was excellent) would be remotely close to £10. Wouldn't surprise me if there are vast numbers who spend £0 in catering, simply because getting a ticket costs enough on its own.

A bit of a pointless stat. Why not use an example of £20 less per customer? That is just as unlikely as £10. I seriously doubt the average spend of everyone in attendance (even if the catering was excellent) would be remotely close to £10. Wouldn't surprise me if there are vast numbers who spend £0 in catering, simply because getting a ticket costs enough on its own.

I never buy any extras and have not done so for several years. My daughter came with me yesterday. She used to be a regular until she kept getting pregnant and wanted to get a replica shirt for her two young boys aged 1 and 5. At £40 a go she quickly lost interest.

Placing myself firmly under the bridge, I like to think of this place as a virtual pub. If someone had come through the doors of a pub complaining about the state of pies at SMS, there'd be a bit of ribbing and banter about it. I remember one bloke at college being fixated with the cost of bread rolls, proudly announcing when he'd found them at a lower price. The p!ss was duly taken.

Most people who post here are aware of the posting culture. You don't like it? Give it back, with pie-shaped f**king bells on. Problem with this place is there's too many vegetables and not enough red blooded p!ss-steak in the SaintsWeb pie.

They used to serve grab bag sized walkers

crisps, now you only get standard size for the same money. So I now buy a packet of crisps before the game. True Story.

I thought I was quite the crisp expert but it appears I have a knowledge gap. What the hell are "grab bags"?

I thought I was quite the crisp expert but it appears I have a knowledge gap. What the hell are "grab bags"?
You call yourself a crisp man but haven't heard the term "grab bag"?! They've been around for years! Basically a bag of crisps that is around 50% bigger than a normal sized bag; usually to be found in motorway service stations as standard fare, but pretty much all the major brands do a grab bag.

I was outraged Turkish, as I was over the reduction in cup size for tea. Cutting back on the hot water does seem a little excessive.

They also advertise large twix but only give you the normal sided one. Another example if corteses contempt for the fans.

Difference between taking £10 per customer and the profit on that £10 which is all the Club get

Only one thing for it.

Some of you lot need to Kidnap Delia next Saturday and hold her hostage until she donates free pies to us.

Actually, come to think of it I had one of her pies up there last season. It had Wholemeal Pastry and was as dry as a Nun's Nasty

Carry on. I'll be having my Fish & Chips as usual before the Wet Sham game thank you very much

Typical **** dished out by the usual suspects who seem unable to respond in a decenct manner to the OP who was merely making an observation about his 'match day experience'. Not everyone can be über fans as some appear to be on here. If you don't have anything meaning to contribute toa particular thread why demean a fellow Saints fan just to boost your post count. SAD LONELY ***TS!

Typical **** dished out by the usual suspects who seem unable to respond in a decenct manner to the OP who was merely making an observation about his 'match day experience'. Not everyone can be über fans as some appear to be on here. If you don't have anything meaning to contribute toa particular thread why demean a fellow Saints fan just to boost your post count. SAD LONELY ***TS!

Seething :lol::lol::lol:

If they did a decent pint and served it in a decent timescale, I would have one before , one at ht and one at the end. Throw in an edible pie and it'll be the best part of £15 each home game. Maybe the margin is too small, but I find it strange that they charge admin fees of £1.50, car parking for short stays and yet ignore this revenue stream.Taking beer and pie money out of a football supporters wallet should be like taking candy from a baby, yet the club dont seem to want to make any effort at all.

No, just my observation on some posters who only seem able to demean people for posting an observation. It seems that if you are not a member of the clique of uber fans your posts are ignored or ridiculed. Oh well at least I only have one more post for today.

Agree, this place is has been ruined by the trolls. And they know who they are.

Agree, this place is has been ruined by the trolls. And they know who they are.

Indeed. I only hope that a new site, SaintsPieWeb, will emerge phoenix-like from the ashes, forever welcoming those who want to discuss Saints and pies, and perhaps how those two concepts interplay. It's a huge story. All this focus on football, players and trolls means that sadly, its rich tapestry has never been unfurled here.

I had a hot dog. Thought it was pretty good, all things considered. Came in a crusty role and tasted good.

The pies are fine, they are just overpriced. So is the beer.

The beer is not fine. Saints beer is not worthy of the name. It is p**ss.

Difference between taking £10 per customer and the profit on that £10 which is all the Club get

Less the VAT

But its still a source of revenue the club would rather have going into its coffers than not all.

Bearing in mind the club look to extract a parking charge midweek, if you stay in the club shop longer than the limit they set (can't recall if its 30 or 45 minutes), a captive market of bodies in the concourse, many wanting some solids to soak up some beer, should not be overlooked.

Just take some tea in a flask and some scones with you. Happy days.

You forgot the tartan blanket to keep your knees warm.

I had a hot dog. Thought it was pretty good, all things considered. Came in a crusty role and tasted good.

The pies are fine, they are just overpriced. So is the beer.

We have got into a ritual of pre-match food at the stadium, after the trip down from Glos. So, disappointed if the pasties have gone. A bit bland sometimes, but at least reasonably filling.

My sons thought the hot dog pretty average on Saturday .The alternatives are poor in my view, the burgers resemble cardboard coated with meat extract. Recall the trip to Middlesbrough and there was a better selection for pre-match grub.

Probably won't resort to one of the Salmonella Express vans around the ground, so we'll have to rethink our strategy for match day grub ,pub or rolls. If I wasn't driving the pub would win hands down.

The only way to take on the trolls is actually stand up and not let these people degrade some posters concerns. There are plenty of fair minded posters on here who can do so.

Agreed. Aintforever is one of the most abusive and I am standing up to him. He seems to be coming round as he's posted something I agree with, so it's working

I'm fairly sure that the average punter doesn't pay £10 on food and drink at the ground. Most will either buy nothing, or will have a drink at half time. Probably only around 5% - 10% that actually buy any of the (incredibly sh*t) food.

Exactly. We need to move towards providing an experience that is pleasant for all, including those who want to eat. Do you think the fact that a very small percentage of people bother to eat (or drink) is maybe due to the crap quality being delivered? The supercilious comments from the usual suspects (who it seems, have no interest in eating and think that we should accept the cr*p quality being delivered) is a great example of what this forum is like. If you are not interested in eating then fine - but don't try to tell others that they shouldn't worry about the quality being delivered, or they're not real supporters because they don't get p*ssed before every game.

Those that think the food is not important should tell the club - maybe it would create enough space for a crèche for those that need to get a life that includes consideration for others with different views and priorities. P*ss off you forum bullies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2375131/Jamie-Oliver-kicks-6m-food-revolution-Manchester-City.html

IF Jamie Oliver can try in Citeh, why can't we find someone down our neck of the woods?

I'd imagine it might not necessarily be exclusive to City if it takes off; Oliver restaurants of one form or another are all over the country and this is just another thing for him to put his name to. Probably not before time that football clubs got their acts in gear, stadium food has been basically dreadful for too long.

Personally, food in the stadium is not for me. Mostly because a day out at the footy is exactly that, a day out, and its much more pleasurable to eat a decent lunch in a nice pub than some reheated mess in a dark concourse. To each their own though, and if it can bring in more revenue it can only be a good thing. I'd prefer it if something could be done about the size of the queues at half time but they've been shocking even since Mr Cortese promised to sort it out when he first got going at St. Mary's.

A few folks I was with today were pretty disappointed with the demise of Crantocks Traditional Cornish Pasties from the bill of fair of the stadium catering instead they have replaced them with Pukka Pies super cheapo, by comparison, offering over the past few seasons the Pasty has become a Matchday regular. Well as of today it looks like we will be probably just be putting our hands in our pockets for a beer. Previously we have just rolled with the prices as the environment we are in you expect to pay through the nose. However when a Hot Dog a very disappointing Pasty and 2 bottles of water came to £11 the crap Pasty alone brought that into focus.

Shame really just to save a few pennies the club has lost £40 at least through their tills for the next 18 home matches!

Can't be all that traditional the Cornish pasties, the original ones had fruit at one end,meat at the other and two bits of redundant pastry that you threw away so as to avoid washing your hands when lunching at the tin and silver mines.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Window Cleaner

Can't be all that traditional the Cornish pasties, the original ones had fruit at one end,meat at the other and two bits of redundant pastry that you threw away so as to avoid washing your hands when lunching at the tin and silver mines.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

'tis reyt mey luvvr.

Do you have anything constructive to offer or is this a sad effort to boost your number of posts?

There IS life outside of Saints Web.

One of my favourite types of posts on mongboards is and entire post having a go at other posters for their post not being constructive, fantastic irony.

Anyway, having set next to Johnny Bognor for all of last season I have witnessed first hand his outrage at the smaller than advertised crisps and tea, as per my post. Its a far more constructive post than the spiteful bile you've just posted, stop being so angry, if you can't handle Saintsweb there is always mums net.

Do you have anything constructive to offer or is this a sad effort to boost your number of posts?

There IS life outside of Saints Web.

Anyway, having set next to Johnny Bognor for all of last season I have witnessed first hand his outrage at the smaller than advertised crisps and tea, as per my post. Its a far more constructive post than the spiteful bile you've just posted, stop being so angry, if you can't handle Saintsweb there is always mums net.

To be fair we did discuss this at the time. When a tea costs £1.50, reducing the hot water could only save 5p at the most. The smaller cups could only save 5p at the most, so why not charge £1.60 for the tea because most punters would not have noticed. Same for the crisps. As for the twix, if you advertise a twix extra, but serve up a standard sized twix, then isn't this is a case of false advertising?

So Turkish if you have amusingly witnessed the slide of Saints Catering arm, Halo, through Johnny Bognor ranting at you that corners are being cut. Why not share empathy rather than joining the playground bullies in the belittling the subject of this thread? That's more a question for yourself rather than posting a reply on here for all.

ANYWAY. This did make me smile on the Food Hygiene rating website:

http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business/halo-catering-southampton-693888.html

Confidence in Management.......!

So Turkish if you have amusingly witnessed the slide of Saints Catering arm, Halo, through Johnny Bognor ranting at you that corners are being cut. Why not share empathy rather than joining the playground bullies in the belittling the subject of this thread? That's more a question for yourself rather than posting a reply on here for all.

ANYWAY. This did make me smile on the Food Hygiene rating website:

http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business/halo-catering-southampton-693888.html

Confidence in Management.......!

What on earth are you banging on about now? Just because you've made yourself look a bit of a din because i shared a first hand experience which has now been verified then a simple apology would do. "Share empathy" LMFAO!! What that a bloke ordering a pie at a football ground didn't get silver service and michelin standard food!!! :lol:

Its a far more constructive post than the spiteful bile you've just posted, stop being so angry, if you can't handle Saintsweb there is always mums net.

Have you ever seen mums net? It's a far harsher place than here, most posters would have a fit with the abuse they'd get.

On topic, I like bovril when it's a cold winter evening game, but the cups are smaller and the queues are big so I take my own.

Who's supposed to be apologising?

Never once claimed I wanted Silver Service.

And I made myself look a Dinlo, the only stupid thing that I did was post it on a Saturday night.

I dont really know what peoples expectations are to be honest. You're at a football ground surrounded by 30,000 people, many of which are greedy and overweight. I reckon at least a third of them will go down to the concourse at half time for a slash or to eat or drink. I'd like to see how many other businesses can cope with serving that many people AND give them time to drink and eat what they want in a 15 minute window. I'm surprised at the constant whinging that people dont have time to queue with all the other greedy f*ckers that cant go 45 minutes without eating and drinking and eat and drink whatever it is in that they want in that time frame. As for the standard of food and drink, again what exactly do you expect to get inside a football stadium? You're not going to get culinary delights are you! Seriously people need to get a grip, I really dont understand what people expect. Can people queue for a pint in a packed pub, get served and drink it within 15 minutes? Can people queue in a busy McDanalds, get served and eat their burger inside 15 minutes? I would say the answer to both would be no, so why should they expect it to be the case inside a football stadium with many many more people in it and not only that but expect top notch grub. It is what it is, junk food to fill a whole if you cant cope with not being able to watch a football match with your gut full of as many pies, burgers and choclate bars you can eat.

We were a bit ****ed off Saturday, we had to move from Block 20 where we had seats since the ground opened as it is now the family centre only to see adults still sat there who were there last season who don't have kids. We did not mind paying the extra £80 for our ST but it was moving away from people we had sat with for years. We went to the ticket office after the match and all we got was tell us where they are sat and we will get them moved no explanation of how or why this has happened, our reply was we are not going to tell you where they sat you do your own dirty work.

I dont really know what peoples expectations are to be honest. You're at a football ground surrounded by 30,000 people, many of which are greedy and overweight. I reckon at least a third of them will go down to the concourse at half time for a slash or to eat or drink. I'd like to see how many other businesses can cope with serving that many people AND give them time to drink and eat what they want in a 15 minute window. I'm surprised at the constant whinging that people dont have time to queue with all the other greedy f*ckers that cant go 45 minutes without eating and drinking and eat and drink whatever it is in that they want in that time frame. As for the standard of food and drink, again what exactly do you expect to get inside a football stadium? You're not going to get culinary delights are you! Seriously people need to get a grip, I really dont understand what people expect. Can people queue for a pint in a packed pub, get served and drink it within 15 minutes? Can people queue in a busy McDanalds, get served and eat their burger inside 15 minutes? I would say the answer to both would be no, so why should they expect it to be the case inside a football stadium with many many more people in it and not only that but expect top notch grub. It is what it is, junk food to fill a whole if you cant cope with not being able to watch a football match with your gut full of as many pies, burgers and choclate bars you can eat.

Norwich managed to serve everyone who wanted beer at HT last season AND we had time to drink it before the game kicked off again. Double the number of outlet points in the Away Stand than in the sections at SMS.

They also served a good pie.

The OP is valid. EITHER the club supplies Food & Drink that is edible and earns revenue OR they shut the stalls down completely and let everyone go elsewhere.

JBS has a point.

Norwich managed to serve everyone who wanted beer at HT last season AND we had time to drink it before the game kicked off again. Double the number of outlet points in the Away Stand than in the sections at SMS.

They also served a good pie.

The OP is valid. EITHER the club supplies Food & Drink that is edible and earns revenue OR they shut the stalls down completely and let everyone go elsewhere.

JBS has a point.

How many away fans were there? Couple of thousand tops is suggest. You're not telling me that anywhere near half went and bought something. Far less people = quicker service.

As I said I'm not quite sure what people are expecting from a football stadium catering. On the rare occasions I've had something its been adequate, not great not awful, the queues are as you'd expect from 10,000 gannets trying to stuff their faces. I'm not really sure why people expect anything more.

Having been flat out all morning, getting caught up in loads of traffic before the game, going straight to SMS as a result and not finding an opportunity to eat all day, I decided to fill my fat bloated greedy gob with a pukka pie at HT. I was heading up to Wales straight after the game with a race against the clock, so the fifteen minute window seemed like a good opportunity to fill my gut full of pie.

People use the service, for all number of reasons... I dont understand your frustration here, it was not long ago you were crying like a little b*tch, throwing your toys all over the place, because you thought your old man had been mistreated or let down by SMS.

Why are you so inconsiderate towards other fellow fans hissy fits when you wanted a dignified and fair consideration of your own little hissy fit?

It was a sh*t pie FWIW.