Saints Catering Lost a few Customers

John Boy Saint

We were a bit ****ed off Saturday, we had to move from Block 20 where we had seats since the ground opened as it is now the family centre only to see adults still sat there who were there last season who don't have kids. We did not mind paying the extra £80 for our ST but it was moving away from people we had sat with for years. We went to the ticket office after the match and all we got was tell us where they are sat and we will get them moved no explanation of how or why this has happened, our reply was we are not going to tell you where they sat you do your own dirty work.

Tell me about it, same for us. Could not be bothered to complain

We were a bit ****ed off Saturday, we had to move from Block 20 where we had seats since the ground opened as it is now the family centre only to see adults still sat there who were there last season who don't have kids. We did not mind paying the extra £80 for our ST but it was moving away from people we had sat with for years. We went to the ticket office after the match and all we got was tell us where they are sat and we will get them moved no explanation of how or why this has happened, our reply was we are not going to tell you where they sat you do your own dirty work.

Yes. Dad and I had to move out of the family section for the same reason. The rules are easily circumvented if you have a young relative that you claim comes with you even if they never do.

I could get some poor unsuspecting (?) girl pregnant, then get back into the family end with a ticket for the three month old child that wouldn't be going for the next few years at least. Similar methods occur with people using the details of nieces/nephews.

Yes. Dad and I had to move out of the family section for the same reason. The rules are easily circumvented if you have a young relative that you claim comes with you even if they never do.

I could get some poor unsuspecting (?) girl pregnant, then get back into the family end with a ticket for the three month old child that wouldn't be going for the next few years at least. Similar methods occur with people using the details of nieces/nephews.

I thought of getting the spare seat next to us for my 8 year old grand daughter who would never come to a game but thought better of it, thats my trouble to honest for my own good at times.

I dont really know what peoples expectations are to be honest. You're at a football ground surrounded by 30,000 people, many of which are greedy and overweight. I reckon at least a third of them will go down to the concourse at half time for a slash or to eat or drink. I'd like to see how many other businesses can cope with serving that many people AND give them time to drink and eat what they want in a 15 minute window. I'm surprised at the constant whinging that people dont have time to queue with all the other greedy f*ckers that cant go 45 minutes without eating and drinking and eat and drink whatever it is in that they want in that time frame. As for the standard of food and drink, again what exactly do you expect to get inside a football stadium? You're not going to get culinary delights are you! Seriously people need to get a grip, I really dont understand what people expect. Can people queue for a pint in a packed pub, get served and drink it within 15 minutes? Can people queue in a busy McDanalds, get served and eat their burger inside 15 minutes? I would say the answer to both would be no, so why should they expect it to be the case inside a football stadium with many many more people in it and not only that but expect top notch grub. It is what it is, junk food to fill a whole if you cant cope with not being able to watch a football match with your gut full of as many pies, burgers and choclate bars you can eat.

Blimey you don't half blow out some hot air, in fact I bet you could start a fight in an empty room.

You seem to have read far too much into my opening comment about a disappointing development in one item of hot food that is on offer at the stadium and that basically the club who in a roundabout way own the Catering company Halo would be losing out from mine and others monies as a result.

But in your vain attempt to hijack the thread you decide to twist it into a position where you are perfect and no one should question anything you say and I am in a group of fat pigs who likes scoffing pies.

So as it is really not sinking in to your head, or is going in and simply just flowing out the otherside as there is nothing to prevent it falling out.

The Item in Question was a Pasty which previously was on a par with a Pasty you could buy from most Purveyors of such items, including in the County the Cornwall. This was replaced with a Pasty which was very much removed in quality from that previously sold in previous seasons, and at the same time the price went up.

I made it perfectly clear that my eyes were wide open to the environment in which I was buying said product from.

I also mentioned that I accepted that I would be paying over the odds for whatever I bought.

No where did I mention that it was half time because anyone going down at half time and still expect to see the 90+ minutes of football, I am ACTUALLY there for, is living in cloud cuckoo land, 1st ever game at SMS made that abundantly clear.

I also mentioned that for various reasons we get into Southampton at around 1:45 on a normal Saturday Matchday so the concourse was convenient over waiting to be served in a pub. So am I allowed to have something to eat before the match kicks off at 3pm when the last meal I had was breakfast at around 9-9:30am?

You have also conveniently assumed that I was buying £11 of food for myself when My wife was mentioned who invariably having been at work that morning from 5:30am also would like something to eat before the game kicks off.

And yes a simple little thing like a Perfectly acceptable Pasty at football stadia inflated prices being changed into something very disappointing, on top of being evicted out of our seats, drove me to make comment on an Internet forum where folks with a common interest come on to discuss this and that. That does not make me a "Din". As much as you like to think you are the owner of his website, you really didn't have to make any comment whatsoever about something which is on no interest to you apart from to massaging your own ego and casting assumptions of the physicality of folks who do something you choose not to.

I never thought that a post about a pasty would still be going on Tuesday and hit 3 pages!!

Blimey you don't half blow out some hot air, in fact I bet you could start a fight in an empty room.

You seem to have read far too much into my opening comment about a disappointing development in one item of hot food that is on offer at the stadium and that basically the club who in a roundabout way own the Catering company Halo would be losing out from mine and others monies as a result.

But in your vain attempt to hijack the thread you decide to twist it into a position where you are perfect and no one should question anything you say and I am in a group of fat pigs who likes scoffing pies.

So as it is really not sinking in to your head, or is going in and simply just flowing out the otherside as there is nothing to prevent it falling out.

The Item in Question was a Pasty which previously was on a par with a Pasty you could buy from most Purveyors of such items, including in the County the Cornwall. This was replaced with a Pasty which was very much removed in quality from that previously sold in previous seasons, and at the same time the price went up.

I made it perfectly clear that my eyes were wide open to the environment in which I was buying said product from.

I also mentioned that I accepted that I would be paying over the odds for whatever I bought.

No where did I mention that it was half time because anyone going down at half time and still expect to see the 90+ minutes of football, I am ACTUALLY there for, is living in cloud cuckoo land, 1st ever game at SMS made that abundantly clear.

I also mentioned that for various reasons we get into Southampton at around 1:45 on a normal Saturday Matchday so the concourse was convenient over waiting to be served in a pub. So am I allowed to have something to eat before the match kicks off at 3pm when the last meal I had was breakfast at around 9-9:30am?

You have also conveniently assumed that I was buying £11 of food for myself when My wife was mentioned who invariably having been at work that morning from 5:30am also would like something to eat before the game kicks off.

And yes a simple little thing like a Perfectly acceptable Pasty at football stadia inflated prices being changed into something very disappointing, on top of being evicted out of our seats, drove me to make comment on an Internet forum where folks with a common interest come on to discuss this and that. That does not make me a "Din". As much as you like to think you are the owner of his website, you really didn't have to make any comment whatsoever about something which is on no interest to you apart from to massaging your own ego and casting assumptions of the physicality of folks who do something you choose not to.

I never thought that a post about a pasty would still be going on Tuesday and hit 3 pages!!

:adore: :toppa:

Good post John. I'm not going to get into the whole "this place has gone downhill" business but some of the replies to your perfectly sensible opening post were ridiculous. Like you say, if people haven't got a sensible point its best not to make comment.

I dont really know what peoples expectations are to be honest. You're at a football ground surrounded by 30,000 people, many of which are greedy and overweight. I reckon at least a third of them will go down to the concourse at half time for a slash or to eat or drink. I'd like to see how many other businesses can cope with serving that many people AND give them time to drink and eat what they want in a 15 minute window. I'm surprised at the constant whinging that people dont have time to queue with all the other greedy f*ckers that cant go 45 minutes without eating and drinking and eat and drink whatever it is in that they want in that time frame. As for the standard of food and drink, again what exactly do you expect to get inside a football stadium? You're not going to get culinary delights are you! Seriously people need to get a grip, I really dont understand what people expect. Can people queue for a pint in a packed pub, get served and drink it within 15 minutes? Can people queue in a busy McDanalds, get served and eat their burger inside 15 minutes? I would say the answer to both would be no, so why should they expect it to be the case inside a football stadium with many many more people in it and not only that but expect top notch grub. It is what it is, junk food to fill a whole if you cant cope with not being able to watch a football match with your gut full of as many pies, burgers and choclate bars you can eat.

Screw customer service, let's just lay out a massive trough from which all the big fat piggies can graze at during half time. No point in offering decent fare, as the useless lazy salad-dodgers will probably eat their body weight in kebabs after the match, so re-constituted meat should do just fine. Plastic cups are wasted on their hoof-hands, so fix up a few hoses to some kegs, and they can guzzle some cheap-o dusty yeast water down their gobs and then the incontinent buggers can spew it all out in conveniently placed buckets.

Money goes in a jam jar hanging from the trough. Those caught not paying get branded by Turkish.

Blimey, the dodgy pasty has really upset you hasn't it.

Ahhhhh, you've made acquaintances with Turkish then.... Don't worry about it John - you are nought but a 'mong' or 'din' on most threads unless you tow the party line. Good reply btw - the only problem is that his heavies will be along in a minute to kick you in the bollux while you are down - enjoy....!!!!

Screw customer service, let's just lay out a massive trough from which all the big fat piggies can graze at during half time. No point in offering decent fare, as the useless lazy salad-dodgers will probably eat their body weight in kebabs after the match, so re-constituted meat should do just fine. Plastic cups are wasted on their hoof-hands, so fix up a few hoses to some kegs, and they can guzzle some cheap-o dusty yeast water down their gobs and then the incontinent buggers can spew it all out in conveniently placed buckets.

Money goes in a jam jar hanging from the trough. Those caught not paying get branded by Turkish.

you obviously went to Valley Parade in 76 then.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Excellent post.

I hope they'll be decent at Barnsley tonight, but the time I get there just before kick off I won't have eaten since 6pm so will be starving.

Quite. I don't know about you, but most days at work i often pop out of the office at 3:40 pm in order to grab a drink and a pie.

Quite. I don't know about you, but most days at work i often pop out of the office at 3:40 pm in order to grab a drink and a pie.

In fact that would probably be down to supporting a team that loses quite a bit. Saw some study or other the other day which

came to the conclusion that if your chosen team loses more often than it win you will probably resort to sugar and fat to compensate and get inevitably fatter. Must be loads of 25 stoners down Pompey way then.

Having tasted a burger, pie and also the so called 'draught lager' (which I suspect is only actually 1 part beer) over the years I no longer bother. I did stand waiting for a couple of bottles at the Sunderland game as we were on the footie **** up and it was my round, by the time Id spent the best part of my mortgage and missed the first 5 mins of the 2nd half (its ok, it was the Sunderland game) I made a promise to myself to never do that again, even all the lads said afterwards they werent that desperate and most were half cut.

That said, many people do fancy a beer and some grub, I dont think its completely unreasonable to think that it should be of half decent quality, the food is acceptable at festivals after all and is similar priced/dished out. That said you do need to expect a certain amount of crap.

From a beer qeueing POV why dont they employ a similar scheme to IOW festival ? Beer tokens ? Buy in bulk before the season or whatever and have dedicated stands to swap for a beer ? Simples

From a beer qeueing POV why dont they employ a similar scheme to IOW festival ? Beer tokens ? Buy in bulk before the season or whatever and have dedicated stands to swap for a beer ? Simples

There's various things they could do to improve matters and they just haven't/won't. Tokens would work, to a certain extent. Bottled beer only stands would help (the one in the Chapel was closed on Saturday). Having more kiosks to actually process sales. Have the mobile beer backpack sellers that other grounds use. And that's all before we get onto the whole "staff training and competence" issue. Mr. Cortese highlighted these problems when he first arrived; and yet there has been seemingly no improvement since then. If those fairly simple remedies can't be implemented in 3 or 4 years, then I'm not sure if they'll ever happen.

The department who run the concourse catering either:-

A. Don't give a ****.

or

B. Totally deluded and incompetent.

Think it is A. I doubt there is enough money in it for Cortese to give a sh!te about. They could probably invest a bit and make a little bit more in return but it's all small change at the end of the day. I expect having a reasonable amount of rubbish food flogged to us mugs by incompetent fools is probably the most efficient way of making anything.

It's a shame because for many it is part of the matchday experience and if you for out £40 for a ticket you should be catered for properly.

I get the impression it's the same though process behind the shirt, programme and corporate hospo - do it as cheap as possible because the mugs will rock up and hand over their cash regardless.

Can't understand the problem of wanting to buy food in the ground? I'm sure everyone can go 90 minutes without eating or drinking but that's not the point is it? I'll be interested in what Turkish find acceptable in general life. Does he only ever eat at home? Is using a cafe acceptable? Maybe a meal in a pub? If you're out all day do you wait until you get home and prepare a proper meal. Please help because I would hate to think I was living my life in anyway he might find unacceptable.

I go to St Mary's to watch the football, not for the food, but if they're going to sell it then they should at least do it properly. I can understand the point of view of those who because of lack of time would like to grab something to eat. Gagging for a pint was never my thing though, there's plenty of time before and after the game for that.

Stadium food has always been rubbish. What's all the fuss about? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you to buy it.

It's certainly not worth losing your rag over.

You miss the point. You may frown upon people wishing to purchase food in the stadium, but some people rush straight from work to get to the ground and perhaps wish to spend their money at the club rather than at one of the stalls/shops on the way to the ground.

Surely it is fair to expect that the quality sold should be decent especially as you are paying a premium. I assume when you go out to the park, you take your own ice-cream or go without, as of course you can go without anything to eat drink for hours on end.

Stadium food has always been rubbish. What's all the fuss about? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you to buy it.

It's certainly not worth losing your rag over.

You are missing the point entirely here. The OP simply wanted to start a discussion about the fact that the quality of the food available has dropped dramatically while the price of it has increased.

I bought a burger at Barnsley last night and it was bloody awful. Nobody forced me to buy it either, I simply chose to because it was easier than driving around for ages before the game trying to find somewhere else to get some hot food. I imagine many people are in the same situation.

The other point here though, is that if the club actually offered good quality food in the concourse then perhaps more people would be inclined to buy it and thus increase the revenue stream to the club. If you know the food is rubbish then you will try to find alternatives before going to the game, but if you know the pies/pasties/burgers are all decent quality then you will be more inclined to buy them there.

It's a perfectly valid discussion.

If we could have a self-service salad bar along with fruit juices available before KO, I might even risk football ground food but not impressed by the standard fare usually on offer at inflated prices. Who provides the burgers doesn't really seem an improvement.

I go to St Mary's to watch the football, not for the food, but if they're going to sell it then they should at least do it properly. I can understand the point of view of those who because of lack of time would like to grab something to eat. Gagging for a pint was never my thing though, there's plenty of time before and after the game for that.

They do do it properly. The food is adequate standard, nothing more nothing less. The queues are what you'd expect from 10,000 all trying to be served in a 15 minute window. I really don't understand what people are expecting from food and drink inside a football stadium. I've never been in any football ground and expected culinary delights, its stodgy grub to fill a hole if you've come straight from work or having a day on the lash and I've never been to any pub or fast food outlet and expected to be served and finish what I've brought inside 15 minutes. I really don't know what more people expect.

They do do it properly. The food is adequate standard, nothing more nothing less. The queues are what you'd expect from 10,000 all trying to be served in a 15 minute window. I really don't understand what people are expecting from food and drink inside a football stadium. I've never been in any football ground and expected culinary delights, its stodgy grub to fill a hole if you've come straight from work or having a day on the lash and I've never been to any pub or fast food outlet and expected to be served and finish what I've brought inside 15 minutes. I really don't know what more people expect.
what they expect in these modern days is a bit of decent quality, especially at the high price charged. Is it that hard not to see that? I notice when the club shirt is launched the quality issue is brought up time and again.

Again you are going off piste!

Again back to the 15 minutes

Again no one is expecting Haute Cuisine!

And no, in this case where the Pasty that started this thread is concerned, it is not adequate standard it's has been changed to sub standard!

We all clearly know your thoughts on the lesser mortals that pollute your existence and degrade themselves by seeking sustenance in what ever form it might take at a football stadium food counter. Just stop frothing at the mouth with the same frustrations and move onto another thread. This one,as you have clearly demonstrated, is outside your personal experience so really should be of no interest to you and as such precludes you from pontificating to others.

Again you are going off piste!

Again back to the 15 minutes

Again no one is expecting Haute Cuisine!

And no, in this case where the Pasty that started this thread is concerned, it is not adequate standard it's has been changed to sub standard!

We all clearly know your thoughts on the lesser mortals that pollute your existence and degrade themselves by seeking sustenance in what ever form it might take at a football stadium food counter. Just stop frothing at the mouth with the same frustrations and move onto another thread. This one,as you have clearly demonstrated, is outside your personal experience so really should be of no interest to you and as such precludes you from pontificating to others.

What do to mean by substandard? What were you expecting?

what they expect in these modern days is a bit of decent quality, especially at the high price charged. Is it that hard not to see that? I notice when the club shirt is launched the quality issue is brought up time and again.

Why would you expect decent quality food in a football stadium? Why would expect food that has likely been cooked them sat in an over type thing to keep warm for hours to be anything better than adequate, which is what it is.

Turkish, you seem to be defending the quality etc, do you have a personal interest in the catering

not at all. Just in my, admittedly limited, experience, the catering has always been adequate and exactly what i'd expect from buying hot food inside a football stadium. I'm interested to know what people expect, the word "quality" keeps being trotted out but at what level? Are we talking Greggs standard? Ginsters? Fray Bentos? Or Pasty Presto, the self titled worlds best pasty shop?

Perhaps its only a matter of time before we follow the model at Lords and re-brand all food outlets as Jamie Oliver. The Burritos were very nice and very substantial, but so they flaming should be for £8.50.

In the meantime, perhaps we could just maintain the previous standards, rather than let them drop

What do to mean by substandard? What were you expecting?

I was expecting what I, and others who I meet up with on the concourse pre match, have been thoroughly satisfied with over the past few seasons from the food outlets at SMS a steaming hot "Traditional" Cornish Pasty (without the sweet course at one end before that starts again) which when you had reached the filling you could see Minced Meat, Swede and Potato all seasoned and nicely moist: not too dissimilar to what you would expect to find when you have bought a pasty from a traditional shop in Cornwall.

What was served on Saturday was a very pale imitation offered by Pukka Pies with "pastry" that had just enough substance to hold the filling which could only be described as slurry with no identifying solids to give away what it contained.

What was previously sold stood head and shoulders above what passes for hot food on the concourse.

The issue surrounding the pasty is very subjective. Some people may prefer pukka pies, some may not. It is a matter of taste.

However, the issue relating to the crisps, tea and twix is very real. Same quality, smaller quantity, increased price.

I think there is more legitimacy in my complaint.