Time to cash in on Jack Cork?

Olallana

People thinking Cork is good enough for England....

Ok..... :rolleyes:

Keep looking at the ball, football has nothing to do with what players do off the ball....

Involved in two goals against Sunderland.....unfortunately they were both Sunderland goals..

:facepalm:

Maybe its time to cash in on Jack Cork!! Oh dear :facepalm:

Edited by Glasgow_Saint

:facepalm:

Maybe its time to cash in on Jack Cork!! Oh dear :facepalm:

Read the post and disregard the name of players...

Sell a player that at the moment is 4th/5th choice in a position where the team is very strong for a possible 2nd choice in a position where the team is very weak.

Yeah would be terrible managing of a team/squad...

Sell a player that at the moment is 4th/5th choice in a position where the team is very strong for a possible 2nd choice in a position where the team is very weak.

ROAMM.png

Edited by Glasgow_Saint

How is Cork 4/5th choice? He's our 2nd choice defensive midfielder - if Wanyama is injured or suspeded, Cork comes in for him. Edited by Sour Mash

How is Cork 4/5th choice? He's our 2nd choice defensive midfielder - if Wanyama is injured or suspeded, Cork comes in for him.

Because during our first 10 games of the season when Wanyama or Schneiderlin was subbed it was either Davis or JWP coming on instead of Cork perhaps?

If Cork is a DM then his positioning is pretty awful, just look at Sunderlands second goal...

Because during our first 10 games of the season when Wanyama or Schneiderlin was subbed it was either Davis or JWP coming on instead of Cork perhaps?

If Cork is a DM then his positioning is pretty awful, just look at Sunderlands second goal...

You don't think Cork is a defensive midfielder? :mcinnes:

Who has taken over Wanyama's role while he has been out injured? :mcinnes:

Think you need to watch a bit more football mate.

You don't think Cork is a defensive midfielder? :mcinnes:

Who has taken over Wanyama's role while he has been out injured? :mcinnes:

Think you need to watch a bit more football mate.

He is our most defensive midfielder but doesn´t play from the same anchor position as Wanyama does. When he plays with Schneiderlin they interchange, even with Davis coming down in that role. He gets out of position a lot and doesn´t protect the back four as he should if he played from a DM position.

And that also caused Sunderlands second goal and he didn´t track Borini for the first even if he had him closed down 5 seconds prior to their first goal.

He came in to the team when both Schneiderlin and Wanyama got injured, before that other players was subbed on when Wanyama was taken off.

Maybe I should´ve known back in late august that would happen in december, my bad.

He is our most defensive midfielder but doesn´t play from the same anchor position as Wanyama does. When he plays with Schneiderlin they interchange, even with Davis coming down in that role. He gets out of position a lot and doesn´t protect the back four as he should if he played from a DM position.

And that also caused Sunderlands second goal and he didn´t track Borini for the first even if he had him closed down 5 seconds prior to their first goal.

He came in to the team when both Schneiderlin and Wanyama got injured, before that other players was subbed on when Wanyama was taken off.

Maybe I should´ve known back in late august that would happen in december, my bad.

You might not rate him as a defensive midfielder, but that's what he is. He is our cover for Wanyama. So yes, "your bad".

You might not rate him as a defensive midfielder, but that's what he is. He is our cover for Wanyama. So yes, "your bad".

True, I dont rate him as high as others here do for some reason.

Pretty much like our management I guess since he is one of very few players that hasn´t got a new contract. (Or if he has turned an offer down if would even make more sense to sell and get a decent fee before the contract runs out, which was what I said in my opening post that if we could get a good offer we should sell, otherwise not).

True, I dont rate him as high as others here do for some reason.

Pretty much like our management I guess since he is one of very few players that hasn´t got a new contract. (Or if he has turned an offer down if would even make more sense to sell and get a decent fee before the contract runs out, which was what I said in my opening post that if we could get a good offer we should sell, otherwise not).

Our management seem to rate him, just not as much as they rate Wanyama, which is fair enough. Bet they're glad they've kept hold of Cork.

Our management seem to rate him, just not as much as they rate Wanyama, which is fair enough. Bet they're glad they've kept hold of Cork.

Well it´s easy to be correct in hindsight. Late august when the original post was written the situation was different and he came in to the team in december due to injuries which suggests that the management didn´t trust him enough to rotate the team, and he has often been the first player taken off the pitch when he starts...

Well it´s easy to be correct in hindsight. Late august when the original post was written the situation was different and he came in to the team in december due to injuries which suggests that the management didn´t trust him enough to rotate the team, and he has often been the first player taken off the pitch when he starts...
Not sure what "trusting him eough" has to do with anything, Wanyama and Schneiderlin were our first choice and were doingfine, there was no needfor rotation, Wanyama is injured, so we've had to use our 2nd choice in that posiiton, which was always going to be likely at some point.

Not sure what "trusting him eough" has to do with anything, Wanyama and Schneiderlin were our first choice and were doingfine, there was no needfor rotation, Wanyama is injured, so we've had to use our 2nd choice in that posiiton, which was always going to be likely at some point.

Still they choose to put on other players at those times when Wanyama was taken off with Schneiderlin used in that deeper position. It took injuries to both Wanyama and Schneiderlin before that changed so if anything he was 3rd choice if you want to look specifically at the DM position. (or 5th choice at the start of the season looking at it as a CM position depending on how you put the team out there)

And yes you are right about one thing, Wanyama and Schneiderlin were doing extremely fine. Some people on here has still not understood that even though results plummeted when they were out and our midfield were wide open due to missing Wanyama in there.

Still they choose to put on other players at those times when Wanyama was taken off with Schneiderlin used in that deeper position. It took injuries to both Wanyama and Schneiderlin before that changed so if anything he was 3rd choice if you want to look specifically at the DM position. (or 5th choice at the start of the season looking at it as a CM position depending on how you put the team out there)

And yes you are right about one thing, Wanyama and Schneiderlin were doing extremely fine. Some people on here has still not understood that even though results plummeted when they were out and our midfield were wide open due to missing Wanyama in there.

Mainly tactical substitutions. The facts are, when Wanyama is out, Cork takes his place. He's excellent back-up for Wanyama - its as simple as that really.

When? I can't remember Wanyama being hauled off very much, especially in the first 10 games that you referenced.

Mainly tactical substitutions. The facts are, when Wanyama is out, Cork takes his place. He's excellent back-up for Wanyama - its as simple as that really.

You wouldn´t swap Cork for another CB of Lovrens caliber?

I say we have better options covering CM/DM position than cover in CB position, especially back in August which is what should be discussed unless people want to show how good they are in hindsight.

The only time one of Wanyama or Schneiderlin were subbed in a league game was against Hull where Davis came on for Wanyama as Wanyama was carrying an injury. The rest of the time neither came off until Wanyama was injured with the broken foot.

Right, as I thought. I'd suggest something happening once is no clear evidence of any type of trend.

You wouldn´t swap Cork for another CB of Lovrens caliber?

I say we have better options covering CM/DM position than cover in CB position, especially back in August which is what should be discussed unless people want to show how good they are in hindsight.

But why pick out Cork? Why not sell any of our other squad players? JWP/S. Davis/Chambers? Point being I'd swap almost any of our squad for another Lovren, but that's not how you build a strong squad to compete throughout a season.

When? I can't remember Wanyama being hauled off very much, especially in the first 10 games that you referenced.

Man U away, Wanyama off with Guly (!!) on. Could claim cause we were behind in the game.

Hull at home, Wanyama off with Davis coming on, leading 3-1 so this would be an obvious case to put a more defensive player on I guess.

Not very much but look at minutes played from first 10-12 games on JWP and Davis compared to Cork and you´ll see a big difference. And with Cork on we dont play with a CM in the anchor position as Wanyama does (or Cork is off position if he´s meant to play the same way).

Right, as I thought. I'd suggest something happening once is no clear evidence of any type of trend.

Actually, to be fair I forgot Schneiderlin was subbed against Norwich when we were chasing the game and Davis came on for him. But overall I wouldn't use the evidence of the subs that Cork didn't have a future with Saints, but more than he is further down the pecking order when both Schneiderlin and Wanyama are fit. However, I don't think that was the point of the OP - I think his point was based on his interpretation that Cork is forth or fifth choice for a central midfield spot, which is clearly incorrect.

Actually' date=' to be fair I forgot Schneiderlin was subbed against Norwich when we were chasing the game and Davis came on for him. But overall I wouldn't use the evidence of the subs that Cork didn't have a future with Saints, but more than he is further down the pecking order when both Schneiderlin and Wanyama are fit. However, I don't think that was the point of the OP - I think his point was based on his interpretation that Cork is forth or fifth choice for a central midfield spot, which is clearly incorrect.[/quote']

Yep, agreed.

But why pick out Cork? Why not sell any of our other squad players? JWP/S. Davis/Chambers? Point being I'd swap almost any of our squad for another Lovren, but that's not how you build a strong squad to compete throughout a season.

Because back in August he wasn´t involved and he was often subbed at the end of last season too since MP came in.

He would back then be the player we could get good money for and considering his contract situation and his position in the team he would be the best choice IMO.

At a point when we´re in PL we have to start manage our squad like that. I know people claim we "dont need the money" but with FPP we have to manage the squad in different ways and at times choose to keep a player that maybe isn´t as good as the one going out but because we need to re-invest the squad value in different ways and in different positions.

Gary Neville must be quaking in his boots looking at some of this first rate footballing punditry. Not.....

When does the Saints Web forum transfer window close it may be time to cash in on some of the dead wood on here now that we have a few shiny new posters to beguile us.........

If it wasn't for Wanyama's injury he would hardly have played.

Funny how things work out, he's certainly taken his chance with both hands. Was excellent today.

It was good to see cork coming on and helping change the game. It should have happened at times earlier in the season too imo & i hope Cork has overcome any reservations Potch might have had about him.