Time to cash in on Jack Cork?

Olallana

• 1 month later...
In answer to the original post - NO!

We are building a strength in depth SQUAD, not a first choice nest XI plus back up, and we've already shown we don't need to sell to buy if we do want to strengthen it further. He's flexible and can immediately slot in as and when required either off the bench or starting a game. I'd like to think that no player is sure enough of his position to be considered guaranteed first choice, that's when complacency set's in. Cork is just the sort of player to keep anyone picked ahead of them on their toes.

This

Is this thread still going?!

:lol::lol:

No hindsight needed to know that it was an idiotic idea to consider selling Cork then as it would be now. He's a genuinely class player. And had he been in the starting line up from the start of the season I dare say he would have been knocking on the door for England. With Lampard and Gerrard probably out of the picture after this World Cup there are two spots opening up, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in there.

But what dies that have to do with Jack Cork?

Jack has been outstanding this season (and last) and you want to sell him? Very odd

Odd to switch a player that wasn´t playing for the first four months and sitting on the bench as 5th choice to a possible 2nd choice CB?? (it´s called managing a football team/squad. I can give you a lesson some time if you like)

Since your so ITK... How come all other players involved so much with the first team has relatively newly signed contracts and not Cork?

Is he not offered one or is he refusing to sign a new one?

If it´s the latter can you please tell Alpine, he usually gets very annoyed by players not wanting to be here...

Odd to switch a player that wasn´t playing for the first four months and sitting on the bench as 5th choice to a possible 2nd choice CB?? (it´s called managing a football team/squad. I can give you a lesson some time if you like)

Since your so ITK... How come all other players involved so much with the first team has relatively newly signed contracts and not Cork?

If it´s the latter can you please tell Alpine, he usually gets very annoyed by players not wanting to be here...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9156207/premier-league-southamptons-jack-cork-hoping-for-contract-extension

Keep digging that hole mate :lol:

If it´s the latter can you please tell Alpine, he usually gets very annoyed by players not wanting to be here...[/QUO

Most certainly the former............ Huge power vacuum since NC left and they can't do anything until MoPo shows his hand.

Never understood why some players as good as Jack Cork, who also happens to be English, always seem to have incredibly low transfer fees bandied around - as good as he is, I'm pretty sure Luke Shaw isn't 10x better than Cork? So why do the media talk about £30mil for Shaw and £3mil for Cork?

I'd rather keep hold of Cork than Ramirez, and I wouldn't want Ramirez to go for less than £10mil, and I imagine many would agree with me. Cork is worth more.

Never understood why some players as good as Jack Cork, who also happens to be English, always seem to have incredibly low transfer fees bandied around - as good as he is, I'm pretty sure Luke Shaw isn't 10x better than Cork? So why do the media talk about £30mil for Shaw and £3mil for Cork?

I'd rather keep hold of Cork than Ramirez, and I wouldn't want Ramirez to go for less than £10mil, and I imagine many would agree with me. Cork is worth more.

But Cork is no goal threat.

Very odd how underrated he is outside Southampton, absolutely superb central midfielder. Tidy, consistent and quietly effective player every decent team needs.

If he added 5 or 6 goals a season to his game he wouldn't be so underrated.

I puke every time I see the title of this thread. Nothing is further from the truth or what Saints supporters wish, yet the press are now quoting Saints fans as wanting to sell Jack. Is there not chance of changing the title or locking this thread and starting one reflecting what the majority think about Jack.

Jack Cork deserves a new contract, due the respect for what he has achieved playing for the side in the past 2 seasons, when his presence made a HUGE difference.

What is up with all this negativity . Sometimes I think the forum has been infiltrated by the blue few insurgents . I'm sure some if you would be happy if we sold everything the players.the fittings and the ground to make way for student flats . Well this happy clappy saints fan is in Birmingham tonight and will be cheering the saints on as I always do . Bloody long train journey from Aberdeen tho

everyone says it's a straight choice between Cork and Wanyama, and although Victor looked really good in the opening games, he's not reagined that form since he's come back.

Jack Cork took his chance well and although I was abit unsure of his consistancy last season, since coming back he's looked as good as he ever has.

Having paid out the £12 million for VW.....so how could we accomodate both?.......one thought maybe be as an extra CB. I think Jos (bless him) may be on the way out and we need more cover there.

laugh ? Victor at centre back:?.....well perhaps the tough midfield role in the Prem. isn't really his style but having his type of physical play...especially alongside / in front of Lovren might be one solution...

NO! .I not suggesting we dump Jose Fonte, but we're if planning longer term .Victor (soon 23) has quite a few years on Jose who is already past 30. Either way.. I wouldn't want to lose Jack Cork on his present form.

Edited by david in sweden

It's tough at the top. Cork was clearly out of favour at the beginning of the season (and rightly so given the results we had pre-Christmas). However he has siezed his chance and MP's not blind, he will have noticed that. The key for me is whether JC will stay here without reassurances that he won't be understudy again, or whether he wants to be first choice somewhere else. CM is somewhere where we do have strength and depth and it's an example of how hard that is to manage.

I really like Cork but I do think he flatters to deceive sometimes. He's a very good scrapper and can recover balls in many a lost cause, I just feel he could be more forward thinking, he contributes to sideways play a lot. That said I think that aspect has got better this season so who knows.

I think the deciding factor is Cork (If he wants to stay, he'll stay and transfer targets (if we continue in our seemingly endless obsession of signing CMs then that could have a big influence).

Much as I like JC, and would like him to stay, I would not be surprised to see him moved on. JWP is getting stronger all the time and will be pushing for a starting slot next year, providing the competition to Wanyama and maybe Morgan depending upon how his game develops. Add Harry Reed in to the mix and the competition is fierce.

Don't understand how he's been allowed to come to this point where he'll be entering his final year. Maybe it's him who is putting off signing? I'm hoping that this will be sorted sooner rather than later because he's a top player, and should be in the England squad above people like Cleverley IMO.

Don't understand how he's been allowed to come to this point where he'll be entering his final year. Maybe it's him who is putting off signing? I'm hoping that this will be sorted sooner rather than later because he's a top player, and should be in the England squad above people like Cleverley IMO.

The best laid plans of mice and .....the transfer committee.....sometimes go awry. well, you can't get everything right - can you ?

Think back one year...Jack Cork had one or two off games in an otherwise good season, and we planned to buy Victor Wanyama instead, and sell off Jack for a small fee?.:?

Poor old Rickie Lambert...he's past 30 now.....we're buying a top grade Italian International striker to replace him and he will be gradually phased out:lol:..or maybe Big Sam..or Nigel will want him.:rolleyes:

Really not sure about thart Adam Lallana. Nice young man and all that, but isn't he a bit young to be captain?....Next season Gaston Ramirez will replace him as a regular and really show his class.:scared:

OUCH ! ....I wonder what we'll be saying this time ......next season.?

Edited by david in sweden

The best laid plans of mice and .....the transfer committee.....sometimes go awry. well, you can't get everything right - can you ?

Think back one year...Jack Cork had one or two off games in an otherwise good season, and we planned to buy Victor Wanyama instead, and sell off Jack for a small fee?.:?

Poor old Rickie Lambert...he's past 30 now.....we're buying a top grade Italian International striker to replace him and he will be gradually phased out:lol:..or maybe Big Sam..or Nigel will want him.:rolleyes:

Really not sure about thart Adam Lallana. Nice young man and all that, but isn't he a bit young to be captain?....Next season Gaston Ramirez will replace him as a regular and really show his class.:scared:

OUCH ! ....I wonder what we'll be saying this time ......next season.?

Good post mate - nice to see some intelligent thinking on the forum

Much as I like JC, and would like him to stay, I would not be surprised to see him moved on. JWP is getting stronger all the time and will be pushing for a starting slot next year, providing the competition to Wanyama and maybe Morgan depending upon how his game develops. Add Harry Reed in to the mix and the competition is fierce.

JWP is not a patch on Cork. Not even close. Not even the same type of player. Neither is Harry Reed.

I wonder where we'd be in the league without Cork this season? Both Morgan and Vic have been injured for chunks, Jack Cork has been magnificent. I don't think we'd be sitting in the top half without him this season.