Time to cash in on Jack Cork?

Olallana

nope. He's 3rd choice and we need cover in a position where a lot of tackling and covering a lot of ground are important. We struggled immensely without Cork (and Shaw) in the team in opening of last season and I certainly don't want to be in that position again should Victor or Morgan get any long term injuries. Competition for places is vital, should make players up their game.

• 4 months later...

Jack Cork playing exceptionally well at the moment...:)

So glad that he is in our team/squad....certainly stepped up to the plate when required.

Well done Jack...great team player....together with.. Victor , Morgan, Steve Davis , JWP and Harrison Reed:)

We have a strong midfield group to choose from.

Well done Saints:D

.....? probably because they both have the same role......as we can't play 12 men at the same time ...who would you drop from the " regular " team if we played both Cork and Wanyama?

no it's not a case of dropping anyone, when Morgan was injured for the villa game JWP started with Wanyama, when asked about that afterwards Mauricio said that Jack was a good player (or words to that effect) but that he and Victor couldn't play in the same team. So to me that would mean that they're both limited to a single role and have little adaptability so it's one or the other but never both even when our other DM is out.

Edited by Window Cleaner
ptability.

Jack seems to think he may be going to Bolton in january

Why would an established young, mid-table PL level player, drop down to a bottom half/relegation threatened championship team? It would be the most pointless move of the decade. Wouldn't benefit anyone what so ever. If he did move, there would be a fair few PL clubs sniffing. Doubt he'd given Bolton a sniff at this stage of his career.

This thread is based on on a number of miffielders the truth is we have 3 main holding midfielders in Schneiderlin Wanyama and Cork. In our current favoured system we need two of them.

Look at the situation we now have with Everton where both Wanyama and Schniederlin are out. The argument could be we need another strong holding Midfielder not one less!

I aslo believe Jack has played superbly once he settled back into the side and has a great future here. Why would we want to sell? particularly as a decent replacement is likely to cost us many millions with no certainity he would be any good (based on some recent purchases)!

Pointless

Indeed, when you want success as a club you have to accept that you need really good players who don't get a game every week. We need a better squad already so moving Cork (or any other player who can come in when needed and do a good job) on wouldn't make much sense.

Edited by Window Cleaner

• 4 weeks later...
My MOTM again today, same as last week at Sunderland he was superb.

Jack Cork :adore:

Yep. He's class.

Big Vic brings more of a physical presence, JC has a better all round game.

We're lucky to have such strength in the DM position.

Wonder what it'd take for JC to get an England call up?

Yep. He's class.

For me hes a much better player than Tom Cleverley.

We are very lucky to have him. Headache for mopo when Vic, Morgan and Jack are all fit

Yep. He's class.

A move back to his old London club, I suspect, and that won't be happening.

These threads are getting more and more stupid !!!!!

Who are the these people who start them ??????

Let's start another, the owners are selling to an Alaskan igloo company to freeze out Cortese !!!!!

Sorry but some of these obscure questions are ridiculous....... Are these people aged 6 ???? Come on serious questions !!!!

Does Cork now get ahead of Morgan assuming Vic is first name on the team sheet? Morgan was a revelation last year but hasn't hit the same heights of performance this season.

No, I think Morgan is still a bit better than the other two going forwards. Would be interesting to see all three in the side with Morgan playing in a more advanced position in place of Davis.

Cork was excellent again yesterday (as he was against Sunderland) he reads the game very well which results in him intercepting a lot of opposition passes and his passing is very good which means he doesn't give the ball away very often. On the downside he is pretty crap in the air and a few times was to easily pushed off the ball by the opposition. I reckon if we could put Corks brain in Vic's body you'd have a world class DM as it is Victor and Jack are polar opposites as players so which one you want in the team probably comes down to weather you want a brick **** house destroyer or someone who links up play better. As others have said I'd like to see Jack and Victor tried out in the same team just to see how it works.

Would be interesting to see all three in the side with Morgan playing in a more advanced position in place of Davis.

Last season when Poch first came in Morgan scored a few goals from memory, as he was given a bit more leeway to press forward with the rest of the team. My honest opinion (and it's just that), is that he playing in front of Vic and Jack would be a masterstroke.

These threads are getting more and more stupid !!!!!

Who are the these people who start them ??????

Let's start another, the owners are selling to an Alaskan igloo company to freeze out Cortese !!!!!

Sorry but some of these obscure questions are ridiculous....... Are these people aged 6 ???? Come on serious questions !!!!

lol-049.gif

I see that some people are still on the Cork for sale theme. Even when fit there's no guarantee that ANY player will suddenly recover the form he had earlier, some never do.

I must say that Clyne (whom I'm glad to see back) doesn't look a patch on his previous form - (thank goodness Chambers is able to cut it).

Even when Victor is back ..don't expect him to be the dominant force he was early season and so I say again thank goodness we have Jack Cork - who for my money is playing as well now as he ever did before.

I see that some people are still on the Cork for sale theme. Even when fit there's no guarantee that ANY player will suddenly recover the form he had earlier, some never do.

I must say that Clyne (whom I'm glad to see back) doesn't look a patch on his previous form - (thank goodness Chambers is able to cut it).

Even when Victor is back ..don't expect him to be the dominant force he was early season and so I say again thank goodness we have Jack Cork - who for my money is playing as well now as he ever did before.

Agrred mate. Cork has been superb this season (as he was last)

Vic is quality and has even improved since he got injured which is a remarkable achivement, but thats standard SWF.

Hope mopo can manage the 3 as we need them all

Sell him? Dont be ridiculous lol-049.gif

Cork was excellent again yesterday (as he was against Sunderland) he reads the game very well which results in him intercepting a lot of opposition passes and his passing is very good which means he doesn't give the ball away very often. On the downside he is pretty crap in the air and a few times was to easily pushed off the ball by the opposition. I reckon if we could put Corks brain in Vic's body you'd have a world class DM as it is Victor and Jack are polar opposites as players so which one you want in the team probably comes down to weather you want a brick **** house destroyer or someone who links up play better. As others have said I'd like to see Jack and Victor tried out in the same team just to see how it works.

I'm sure you'll get that chance before the end of the season. As good as Schneiderlin is, his gameplay means he is never far away from a suspension.

Finding ways to accommodate more quality players than we have starting placers for, when everyone is available, is one of those challenges any aspiring PL manager must face. Our early season success was built upon a foundation of a progressive playing style, bloody hard work, and consistent team selection. However would it have been better for the squad as a whole had the manager varied that (remarkably consistent) midfield more often and given Jack Cork some opportunities to contribute? It's hard to argue with the results we achieved, but arguably the answer to that question could be 'yes' methinks.

I suspect MP parked Jack Cork on the bench because A: he doesn't rate him all that highly, and B: a conscious decision was made to try and push JWP on as fast as possible. Well okay then that's his call, but Jack Cork is such a manifestly able PL midfielder one can only wonder if that policy will be resumed once Victor Wanyama recovers from his injury.

We not in anything like the same position re the strength of our squad as Chelsea, Man City, or Arsenal are in of course, and Jose Mourinho's are thin on the ground, but in our own (low key) way we too will have to keep all our better players happy - or risk losing good players we will surely need over the course of a long hard season.

Shame Cork didn't start the season, he's shown his quality again. I thought in the summer he had a chance with England, mainly due to there been no ball winning CMs out there any more and England so desperate for one.

Won't happen now, and Cork could lose his place to Wanyama, but who will England have? The only ball winning proper defensive CMs I can think of are Cork and Barry. Does Henderson do that, I'm not sure? Gerrard is a converted attacking midfielder and I'm not sure it works. I must have forgotten someone.

Tom Cleverley has 13 England caps :facepalm:

Tom Cleverley has 13 England caps :facepalm:

Not to mention Carrick, Phil Jones can also play DM but as he's often press ganged into a defensive role because of England's lack of CBs he's overlooked in the DM sector. Don't think Cork woulds stand an earthly of an England place really, too often found wanting against good players.

People thinking Cork is good enough for England....

Ok..... :rolleyes:

Keep looking at the ball, football has nothing to do with what players do off the ball....

Involved in two goals against Sunderland.....unfortunately they were both Sunderland goals..

People thinking Cork is good enough for England....

Ok..... :rolleyes:

Keep looking at the ball, football has nothing to do with what players do off the ball....

Involved in two goals against Sunderland.....unfortunately they were both Sunderland goals..

As I said, too often found wanting when faced with good players. Not a fan myself, he's OK though but I'm looking forward to Victor's return. As for someone telling me that Phil Jones isn't a DM...they need to check their facts, he's very good at it actually.

No. What a ridiculous proposition. Another FL in the making and let's hope he can go on until he is 40. There should always be a place for Jack Cork, our new Matt Oakley.

FL doesn't stand for Frank Lampard does it? Jack Cork's never scored a goal for us!

That said, Lampard only started hitting double figures when he turned 25...

FL doesn't stand for Frank Lampard does it? Jack Cork's never scored a goal for us!

That said, Lampard only started hitting double figures when he turned 25...

Lampard takes a lot of penalties, couldn't say how many penalties he's scored over the years though. Must be 50 odd in his Chelsea career though so about a quarter of his goals come from penalties. Perhaps we should let Jack take a few, get him started like, as we did with Guly yesterday. Pity there were so many needing a boost on the goal front, Jack or Luke would probably have been grateful for opening their goal accounts in official matches for the club.