Time to cash in on Jack Cork?

Olallana

Cheers Glasgie, but I though you used to bump your own threads?

What a metamorphos you´ve been through....(or not)

Ahh forget the title thread mate - youve admitted you made a BIG mistake on this one. We are all allowed one or two mistakes ;)

Cork is key and we need to lock him down longterm imho

Not sure why there is the fuss about Cork and his lack of a contract offer. The fact of the matter is it's just not a priority at the moment. He's a squad player; when everyone is fit, he wouldn't make the starting eleven. The stats show last season how much more effective we were with Wanyama in the side rather than Cork. He's a solid player and one we should keep hold of because he's reliable and gives us good squad depth at the position, but he's got another year on his contract and therefore there's not a big rush to get it sorted. There's obviously a risk he chooses not to sign and he goes on a free at the end of the season but I would imagine the club sees the risk of spending time on his contract now and spending less time on other priorities and potentially missing out on other priorities such as new singings etc, as a bigger risk.

Ahh forget the title thread mate - youve admitted you made a BIG mistake on this one. We are all allowed one or two mistakes ;)

Cork is key and we need to lock him down longterm imho

Cant say I´ve changed my mind on him. Good if we´re aiming to just stay up in PL, not good enough if we want top 8 or better.

But resell value is sh*t with only one year left on contract so if only for that we could extend it with at least two yrs...

from other thread -

I rate Jack Cork and he was brilliant for us last season when Big Vic got injured and I think he is a quality holding midfielder. However I would not offer Jack an extension as he is not a starter for the team when all are fit (Big Vic/Morgan) and I feel both Harry Reed and JWP can fill his role in the squad and more importantly could score goals, something that Jack is never going to do. If we weren't massive proponents of youth and giving them opportunity I would say sign him up but I feel that having Jack as a squad player if just depriving a younger player of that chance, a younger player who is also more inclined to bide his time on the bench, something Jack himself stated was frustrating in the first few months of the season.

Jack deserves to play every week and would be an excellent player for someone like Palace/Villa/WBA etc etc but I can imagine him becoming more and more frustrated as the season progresses.

Not a bad suggestion by the OP seeing that the club seemingly don't seem that fussed about keeping him. Should have cashed in when he was worth more. Likewise, should have got 9M for Rickie when we had the chance seeing as we sold him for less than half a few months later.

• 1 month later...

If Cork can continue to add goals to his game, then he will get an England shout. That was probably the only real part lacking, but he will certainly be raising a few eyebrows in the England setup now.

As said above, if Colback, Delph etc can get England call ups - then Cork is pretty much on the list if he carries on as he is.

If Cork can continue to add goals to his game, then he will get an England shout. That was probably the only real part lacking, but he will certainly be raising a few eyebrows in the England setup now.

As said above, if Colback, Delph etc can get England call ups - then Cork is pretty much on the list if he carries on as he is.

Would agree with that - I think this season, and with the central midfielder's that England have lost, Corky just needs to play regularly for us and he'll be in the squad.

I'm of the opinion that Koeman asked him to prove himself to him to earn a new contract and I wouldn't be surprised if one was being written up for him. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes but Koeman is certainly getting him play well and is showing great attitude, if his dad can shut up on the other hand then maybe a contract will be forthcoming.

In a day and age when players and their agents want away as soon as possible, a player saying he wants to remain loyal is worth his weight in gold. Please don't delay, let's have him signed up.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9472392/premier-league-southamptons-jack-cork-keen-to-open-open-contract-talks

I can`t remember many players we have had over the last ten years that give the ball away less than Cork.. Rarely misplaces a pass. Yes he may not have the vision of a Schneiderlin type midfielder who can consistently play a cutting final ball but what he does have is tenacity, work rate and intelligence in abundance.. would be silly to not get him tied down to a new contract.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11482871._/?ref=mac

Why on earth would we wait right until he can begin negotiating with other clubs to discuss terms? This is moronic.

It is weird I can't understand why the club wouldn't want to offer him a new contract but hey after the summer, and the way the club has come out the other side, I'm just going to trust that the club and Koeman know what they're doing ............

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11482871._/?ref=mac

Why on earth would we wait right until he can begin negotiating with other clubs to discuss terms? This is moronic.

It is pretty dim, I must admit. This is one thing which has baffled me throughout this turbulent summer. An easy, quick, and relatively inexpensive win. Yet reluctance to do so.

It is pretty dim, I must admit. This is one thing which has baffled me throughout this turbulent summer. An easy, quick, and relatively inexpensive win. Yet reluctance to do so.

Perhaps they're saving it for a time when it is really needed,...who knows. Blocking the Harry Reed pathway perhaps, can't possibly be enough young players getting games right now to please some...