Cortese to go?

Bewildered

Nicola Cortese is on the verge of quitting Southampton after a behind-the-scenes row with owner Katharina Liebherr.

The Southampton chairman, who has just returned to the south coast from an annual skiing holiday, is preparing to walk away nearly five years after he arrived at the club.

Liebharr became trustee of Southampton after her father Markus died unexpectedly died in August 2010, but has no experience of running a football club.

Cortese has continued to work under almost intolerable conditions placed on him since Liebherr’s death and has been close to quitting on a number of occasions.

But this time the divisions at the club are so deep that Cortese is preparing to quit Southampton for good.

Liebherr has no interest in football, but was left the club as part of her father’s estate and she has rejected a number of advances to sell the club.

Instead she left Cortese in charge of the team, but her demands on the chairman have increased since they arrived in the Barclays Premier League under Nigel Adkins in May 2012.

Cortese is now considering his future, but sources at the club revealed last night that the chairman is preparing his exit strategy.

How do you know that Cortese has backers?

IIRC, he said back in the early days that he had 'financial backers waiting in the wings' if the Liebherrs ever decided to pull the plug. Another BBC interview at the time. (Got a link MLG?)

Edited by trousers

IIRC, he said back in the early days that he had 'financial backers waiting in the wings' if the Liebherrs ever decided to pull the plug. Another BBC interview at the time.

I suspect this is to put pressure on the liebherrs to sell. That silly pr piece from last month was clearly the first step on this tactical battle.

Like Steve says I don't think he will go anywhere. If I were the liebherrs though I'd be a bit fecked off by this playing of the media constantly.

Maybe that's his aim... To hack them off to the point where they sell up... A potentially risky strategy granted...

Like Steve says I don't think he will go anywhere. If I were the liebherrs though I'd be a bit fecked off by this playing of the media constantly.

I'd be laughing at the brass balls for trying exactly the same tactic as in the summer - get a different angle, FFS :lol:

Would be very interesting if the Liebherrs had a succession plan in case they felt they wanted a change - after all, it's their money, they can do as they please - and decided to call Cortese's bluff.

I'd be laughing at the brass balls for trying exactly the same tactic as in the summer - get a different angle, FFS :lol:

Would be very interesting if the Liebherrs had a succession plan in case they felt they wanted a change - after all, it's their money, they can do as they please - and decided to call Cortese's bluff.

There must be a reason they refuse to sell. I have always maintained that the family and Cortese have never seen eye to eye and it is possible that they don't want to sell an asset that gave their father so much pleasure over to nicola. I guess we will find out, either way it will be interesting!

Reminds me of the Johnny Cash song, Hurt. What have I become, my sweetest friend. Everyone I know goes away in the end. And you could have it all, my empire of dirt. I will let you down, I will make you hurt.

The Nine Inch Nails song you mean? Johnny Cash covered the song but it was originally written and recorded by Trent Raznor's band......

But why would Katherina stay? Why has she stayed this long? If she has zero interest in the football club, then what's she in it for? Money....and right now we're worth more than we ever have been. Surely she's stayed at the club because Cortese convinced her to when ML passed away? She probably doesn't want to put any more money in, and has decided to sell up. But Cortese won't stay without the financial resources as he doesn't need to.

But why would Katherina stay? Why has she stayed this long? If she has zero interest in the football club, then what's she in it for? Money....and right now we're worth more than we ever have been. Surely she's stayed at the club because Cortese convinced her to when ML passed away? She probably doesn't want to put any more money in, and has decided to sell up. But Cortese won't stay without the financial resources as he doesn't need to.

Because she doesn't want to sell this asset of her fathers to a person she isn't keen on? Possibly...

This story looks as though it has 'legs' and has just been reported on SSN. My understanding is that unlike when Markus was alive and the corporate jet arrived at Soton Airport for every game, the Liebherr family do not come to any matches and do not appear to be interested. This may have led to restrictions on funding in which case the Liebherrs may decide to sell. Mr Cortese advised in an interview that if they did sell he had backers in the wings and if that came to pass presumably he would stay as part of the deal.

On a personal note, I have only met Mr Cortese once at a hotel in Norwich and he was only willing to 'acknowledge the presence of my wife and I' whereas all the other staff from manager downwards and players were overwhelmingly friendly to the few of us in the hotel for the match. He may have the personality of a brick but you cannot do anything but admire what he has achieved notwithstanding the advantage that the Liebherr funding has given us.

I hope he stays even if the ownership changes. I would dread the thought of new owners without him judging by some of the dickheads around such as the village idiot in Cardiff as an example. Owners who leave their brains in the car park are not what we need - we have already had our fair share. Very disappointed and worried.

It's not necessarily a bad thing. Just extremely cocky, fired a girl last week for being too slow struts around like he owns the place. He clearly isn't working under intolerable conditions.

And before you ask I know this because I have a female relative who works in catering at the ground for every home game.

Perhaps not new info for many here...

Alex Goring Crook ‏@alex_crook

Just got back from a game and getting loads of tweets re Cortese. His 2 favourite journos are Neil Ashton, Daily Mail, and Jim White at Sky

Alex Goring Crook ‏@alex_crook 55s

If Sky are saying Cortese is leaving it has almost certainly come from his camp #saintsfc

Expand

Is it about transfer funds, though? Surely there's a limit to how far he can pull this s**t/play this card if it is.

Surely, any professional businessman would have agreed a medium-term budget (well at least one longer than a single window) in the summer in order to head off similar incidents.

Edited by shurlock

I wouldn't worry too much:

1) as a club, it is in good condition, and you don't cock up your investment. If you don't want it, you sell it.

2) people come, people go. The club stays. Not much we can do about it, so why worry?

3) It's SFC - if we take a huge downturn, I will still support Saints.

I wouldn't worry too much:

1) as a club, it is in good condition, and you don't cock up your investment. If you don't want it, you sell it.

2) people come, people go. The club stays. Not much we can do about it, so why worry?

3) It's SFC - if we take a huge downturn, I will still support Saints.

Totally agree. Great post. Night all!

As has been discussed previously in these topics whenever they come round, it is only a matter of time before Cortese buys the club from the Liebherr estate. I really think that this has been his strategy all the way. It was him who attracted the Liebherrs to the club so it would only make sense to start accelerating the process once profitability became feasible.

"You know I'm your buyer! Help me out and I'll stop annoying you soon enough!" is what that DM article should read.