Cortese to go?

Bewildered

at last what we've all wanted Lawrie McMoneybags as Chairman,MLT DOF, Fanny Benali manager, fanontheboard, official club historian. Run by a fans Trust. As Bearsy

says we can all pledge £100 (all cheques made out to Mr L. McMenemy). Liberate the car park. Viola we are a Care In The Community Peoples Club.

God you really are an unsavory character.

I'll bite if I may...You can build a house on sold foundations but what if an undiscovered world war 2 bomb goes off underneath it some years later?
It would be hard to argue that a club was well run on stable foundations if it was entirely reliant on the presence of one individual.

Why is there no double-sourcing in reports. Nobody has asked liebherrs. All fed by cortèse media guys. You never know with him. It's a bit naughty really just to have one side.

Yep this. Like last time. For all his undoubted quality, NC knows how to play the PR side very well. We have a track record of leaking and saying almost nothing at all over the last 4 years, apart from the rare occasion when we want to put something out there. Amazing how this has "leaked" out again, with nothing at all from the Liebherr side

Cortese is the driving force and the biggest reason for our success, if he goes its a slippery slope.. Bye bye Pochettino, bye bye top players í*½í¸’☔️

I'm sorry to say but I think I agree. We need NC to commit to the future and put these rumours to bed. If there are any transfers on the cards this May damage them coming to us. And yes I know we have been told that there are no transfers on the cards but we all know things happen behind closed doors and we also know the club keep things very close in what they tell the media.

Why is there no double-sourcing in reports. Nobody has asked liebherrs. All fed by cortèse media guys. You never know with him. It's a bit naughty really just to have one side.

Liebherrs don't have pet journalists at numerous major media outlets, Cortese does. Doubt there are any football journalists close enough to the Liebherrs to get fed info.

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport 4m Two likely outcomes to Cortese problem - he leaves, owners stick a chairman in & instruct someone to sell, or agreement signed for 2-3 yrs

Is he really going to try this on every time he wants more money? If a player were to behave in a similar way to get a bigger contract, they would be getting slaughtered.

all these rumours don't help with any potential January signings we might be lining up

We are not. Pochettino has said that Saints have no plans to buy in the transfer window

Cortese going is the obvious reason why

This so called "speculation" is very very bad for Club morale

Looking back, the "vibes" eminating from SFC have not been quite right for the last three months.

Is he really going to try this on every time he wants more money? If a player were to behave in a similar way to get a bigger contract, they would be getting slaughtered.

Agreed. it's pathetic! We will get one of these little tantrums every 6 months... unless the owners just get rid.

I have faith that the Liebherrs will make the right decisions and the club will continue with or without Nic and mopo

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport 4m Two likely outcomes to Cortese problem - he leaves, owners stick a chairman in & instruct someone to sell, or agreement signed for 2-3 yrs

but isn't the issue broken agreements so by resolving & putting in place another 2-3 year agreement just like kicking the proverbial tin can down the alley?

Was the same in May. Not a peep from the Liebherrs (before, during or after)

Prima donna-real men just quit they don't fanny around talking about it every time they get their hands slapped.

My guess is he will have overplayed his hand this time and will be on his way.

We don't know what will happen so I can't say anything won't happen but what I can say is that NC is not stupid.

Saying things like "crying wolf" and "overplayed his hand" might under-estimate his positioning on this.

I can't really see him thinking to himself "gutted she called my bluff, I've got to leave now even though I dont really want to".

Just as the training ground is completed and we move into the next phase of our development, no I just don't see it.

As some have said, I think he wants ownership. He sees it as his baby and will do everything in his power to force KL to sell so he can

buy in and then as the REAL Don, see us into the next 5 years or so.

Of course when a club like ours is punching above its average weight has a run of success, there is always something round the corner to rattle the cage.

Same is happening at a number of Prem clubs in worse positions than ours.

Without knowing all the ins and outs of the matter, I would be more concerned if the Liebherrs were threatening to pull out, although Cortese has reportedly said in the past that there were plans to deal with this situation if it happened.

Cortese has, of course, been a leading light in our recent success story but he does come with some baggage.

I hope he and Poch stay to provide continuity.

However if the Liebherrs, or whoever, decide to continue funding the club then surely there would be other club Chairman (and Manager, if required) to keep the club on an even keel and continue the progress of recent years.

All that said we have to be prepared for a rocky road but I guess us committed fans have been used to this over the years

Agreed. it's pathetic! We will get one of these little tantrums every 6 months... unless the owners just get rid.

I have faith that the Liebherrs will make the right decisions and the club will continue with or without Nic and mopo

Sorry, but I don't have the same faith in the Leibherrs

IMHO, they are honouring Markus Leibherrs Dream and wishes, which, in essence, was a FIVE year Plan

Once that is up, then the Leibherrs will have no further obligation to the memory of Markus, and so it will be "Strictly Back to Business", ie They wiil SELL the Club

Is he really going to try this on every time he wants more money?

Blackmore is suggesting that the Liebherrs have reneged on the agreement that was struck with Cortese last May. So, if that's true, this isn't simply another case of Cortese 'stamping his feet' for the same reasons again, it's more to do with him getting angry that an agreement has supposedly been broken.

Hasn't NC been here 5 years? didn't he say there was a 5 year plan? Then at the end of the five years it's natural to review it and produce a new plan which may or may not be under the present leadership. Normal practice. Don't panic! (but I am panicking because he is the brain which has driven everything)

Is he really going to try this on every time he wants more money?

Blackmore is suggesting that the Liebherrs have reneged on the agreement that was struck with Cortese last May. So, if that's true, this isn't simply another case of Cortese 'stamping his feet' for the same reasons again, it's more to do with him getting angry that an agreement hasn't been honoured (supposedly)

I have know idea what is going on unlike some of the vocal few ITK's

I will start to get concerned once I see posts made by specific posters who will have a better understanding of the situation and who i totally trust. todate they have not said anything let alone posted!!!

If liebherrs want to sell , then give it to NC but have an optomisic view that we will soon be joining the big league boys and that way our global marketing appeal will reap massive dividends which will benefit all parties involved

is adam blackmore a trusted journo or a a self opiniated expert on all things saints ? or a jack of all trades and master of nuns

"Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport 29m #saintsfc fans have happily put up with having club run in near silence for 5 years but deserve some transparency from all concerned on this"

Fianlly wheres my Best of the beach boys LP , help me rhonda

Blackmore is suggesting that the Liebherrs have reneged on the agreement that was struck with Cortese last May. So, if that's true, this isn't simply another case of Cortese 'stamping his feet' for the same reasons again, it's more to do with him getting angry that an agreement hasn't been honoured (supposedly)

We're not privy to what that agreement is/was, so Blackmore getting fed a line that "agreements haven't been honoured" is a very one-sided view. Unfortunately, that's the only view we're going to get because the Liebherrs don't say anything - their prerogative, of course, but it can allow stories like this to spiral out of control when there may actually be nothing to it.

seems to me that Nic has had it easy for 4 years - now the owners are asking him to work with a budget and be sensible.

Nic's response is "I quit"

acting like a spoilt child

It depends on whether the Liebherr's have decided to go back on their word or not, surely?

He may be acting like a spoilt child, but that is his prerogative, he's an EXTREMELY succesful man. If he leaves, he has other things to fall back on. I worry the club will not.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

It's always been Cortese's objective to own the club.

In his opinion (correctly) the club has a lower value if he goes than it does if he remains at the helm. He wants (again rightly) to pay the lower valuation. The idiots in suits aka merchant bankers that are advising KL have told her they can get her the higher value.

Cortese is proving his point.

He doesn't play to lose.

'Bye 'bye Katherina.

Of course when a club like ours is punching above its average weight has a run of success, there is always something round the corner to rattle the cage.

Same is happening at a number of Prem clubs in worse positions than ours.

Without knowing all the ins and outs of the matter, I would be more concerned if the Liebherrs were threatening to pull out, although Cortese has reportedly said in the past that there were plans to deal with this situation if it happened.

Cortese has, of course, been a leading light in our recent success story but he does come with some baggage.

I hope he and Poch stay to provide continuity.

However if the Liebherrs, or whoever, decide to continue funding the club then surely there would be other club Chairman (and Manager, if required) to keep the club on an even keel and continue the progress of recent years.

All that said we have to be prepared for a rocky road but I guess us committed fans have been used to this over the years

+1.

Been there. Seen it. Done it. None of this is new to Southampton Football Club.

Sure, we're enjoying the best era/football/period we've had for a long, long time - but eventually things all change... except us - the fans.

at last what we've all wanted Lawrie McMoneybags as Chairman,MLT DOF, Fanny Benali manager, fanontheboard, official club historian. Run by a fans Trust. As Bearsy

says we can all pledge £100 (all cheques made out to Mr L. McMenemy). Liberate the car park. Viola we are a Care In The Community Peoples Club.

I knew Manji (who hates the thought of his boat being rocked) would shortly be lured from his cave. :)

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

It's always been Cortese's objective to own the club.

In his opinion (correctly) the club has a lower value if he goes than it does if he remains at the helm. He wants (again rightly) to pay the lower valuation. The idiots in suits aka merchant bankers that are advising KL have told her they can get her the higher value.

Cortese is proving his point.

He doesn't play to lose.

'Bye 'bye Katherina.

That's close to how I see it. I think it's only a matter of (short) time before the family are out of the equation.