Cortese to go?

Bewildered

According to an "Exclusve" in The Sun

http://t.co/u3jPkk34Qe

Can't cut and paste the article as it is behind a paywall and I don't subscribe.

Not really an exclusive though as it was on TuttoMercatoWeb on the 8th

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/serie-a/southampton-cortese-ambito-da-diversi-club-italiani-517134

According to reports from the well-known journalist Gianluca Di Marzio during the Special Cup on Sky, the CEO of Southampton Nicola Cortese is coveted by several Italian clubs who would like to rely on his expertise with a view to ristruttutazione management.

No way should we sell him, he's a world class chairman. We need to be keeping all our best administration staff if we are to ever be a champions league club in the boardroom so that includes the CEO. If they were to offer us £150m, Their ticket office manager, corporate sales manager and head of catering them maybe we should consider it but until then no thanks, but he is not for sale.

No way should we sell him, he's a world class chairman. We need to be keeping all our best administration staff if we are to ever be a champions league club in the boardroom so that includes the CEO. If they were to offer us £150m, Their ticket office manager, corporate sales manager and head of catering them maybe we should consider it but until then no thanks, but he is not for sale.

why would u want these guys added into any deal for cortese?

:lol:

When does the CEO transfer window open anyway?

why would u want these guys added into any deal for cortese?

Because it's areas we have struggled in, we lack depth in these departments and not had a top ticket office manager since David luker. We might lose our star man but we'd be stronger as a back office squad plus have the cash to attract another world class CEO

Edited by Turkish

:lol:

Because it's areas we have struggled in, we lack depth in these departments and not had a top ticket office manager since David luker. We might lose our star man but we'd be stronger as a back office squad plus have the cash to attract another world class CEO

great point and particularly well written. personally i would take the cash and make move for the west ham beau belles chearleaders or maybe that talented young team at palace. both great movers.

I don't think Cortese will leave.

BPL is much better competition at the moment than Serie A (both in terms of prestige, quality of football and moneymaking potential).

Liebherr provided the money to buy and bail out the club, but it's been Cortese in charge this whole time, so he *must* be seeing this as a personal project.

Any old weasel in a suit could come in abd replace him so no worries.

Abd Hypo can return to St Marys so every cloud and all that...

It is much easier to run a club which has plenty of cash and no evident pressure to balance the books.

Might be a different story if Nicola had to run a club like the Saints of old.

he gets a lot of praise for getting good deals on transfers - however he overpaid for Gaston, Forren, Osvaldo and Mayuka and doesnt seem to be able to manage players that are deemed surplus to requirements - ala Sharp, Barnard, Martin and Forte.

Barnard being offered a 4 year contract on 20k per week when we were in league 1!!! PMSL :lol:

Would be the worst possible outcome for us if he left. You wonder how attractive a job in the country of his birth at one of the biggest clubs in the world would be.

When they've been embarking on a massive cost-cutting mission over the last 3 years that has seen the vast majority of their best players leave, probably not so attractive.

One of my clients once described Nicola as a monoploy player that started with £15,000 while all other player had the regular £1,500

Guess its much easier to do deals when you're loaded and can afford to waste a few grand here n there. Will Milan allow the same?

Our net spend on transfers is circa £70m + spending £14 million on Gaston while selling Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain for £12m??? :rolleyes: :eek:

One of my clients once described Nicola as a monoploy player that started with £15,000 while all other player had the regular £1,500

Guess its much easier to do deals when you're loaded and can afford to waste a few grand here n there. Will Milan allow the same?

Our net spend on transfers is circa £70m + spending £14 million on Gaston while selling Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain for £12m??? :rolleyes: :eek:

One on the verge of being in the first XI in one of the best countries in the world and ranked top ten prospects in European football when bought, the other sold while he was in 3rd tier and as best on the bench in a semidecent national team.

Yeah, sounds like a fantastic deal to me.

My thoughts precisely, especially as I bet none of them even speak English, so how are they supposed to sell tickets for us ???

They speak the language if football, that is all that matters. It also might make more women come to games if they were being sold tickets by Luigi, Davide and Alessandro rather than Lee, Dave and Alan.

One of the things we have learnt on this incredible journey is that if you do what you've done you'll get what you've always got. Cortese has dared to be different, he's pushed the boundaries and done what he feels is right and not what he is told is right and he's been very successful, if he does go and his legacy to us is a strong back office team with Italian blood but English backbone I for one will be greatful.

Hmmm I was told this week that there have been rumours flying about St Mary's that couldcwell be off soon. Apparently Le Tiss is now allowed back in the ground as well. I personally chose not to believe it but now this has come out.

Le Tiss has never been banned, as far as I'm aware.

One on the verge of being in the first XI in one of the best countries in the world and ranked top ten prospects in European football when bought, the other sold while he was in 3rd tier and as best on the bench in a semidecent national team.

Yeah, sounds like a fantastic deal to me.

Don’t want to take this off topic as this is about Nicola and not Ramirez.

But wanted to give you the decency of a reply. Quick question (hypothetical) for you - if Arsenal offered us £2m + Chamberlain in exchange for Ramirez would you accept it?

From what I hear Milan are in the financial dodo's. Their owner walks a very narrow path between mega wealth and bankruptcy and as Steve Grant says they've had to sell all their best players, they won't qualify for champions league this year. For me the biggest reason he won't go there is because if he did, he have less freedom and more pressure. The Italian press would literally camp out outside his house and scrutanise and dissect his every word. No, I think he likes the Southampton project and still sees it as work in progress.

Would be the worst possible outcome for us if he left. You wonder how attractive a job in the country of his birth at one of the biggest clubs in the world would be.

As others have already said. Milan do not have any money and they will not be in the CL next season. I only rate De Sciglio, Balotelli and El Sharawy - oh and Honda actually now he's moved from Russia in the whole squad - the rest have either desperately underperformed or are just too injury prone or just too old or too poor ~ so its going to be a total rebuild between now and end of next season i reckon.

But would NC fancy it anyway?

IMO there is one good reason he would. Here's why. If you are ever lucky enough to even get the chance you do not say NO to Milan, I think despite how sh*t they have been the last two years are still one of if not THE most trophied club in World Football - or something like that. ANY Milan project is not something you say NO to. Having said that I don't see it happening as i don't think he will be asked unless a few more heads roll - namely Galliani for starters and the Barbara B being told to butt out of it.

There are too many important Milan people who like to have their say in public involved plus a new manager just appointed by that lot. You've got Berlusconi, his daughter Barbara who had a massive say in firing Allegri, Galliani who is a big cheese and has been for yonks besides Inzaghi as youth team manager who is not short of an opinion and last but not least one of the legends of world football in Seedorf as the new manager - he can walk into any dressing room and show you his medals so its not like he is going to be just a yes man either. Nicola is the one and only big cheese at SMS, would he be able to work under so many noisy bosses? I don't think so. Remove at least two of the bureaucrats and its possible, otherwise, no.

If you hear Galliani is leaving (again) or that Barbara is going to do something else apart from leak comments to the media about the team and its management then it might be time to start worrying...Nicola might cope with big but aging boss Silvio Berlosconi alone - perhaps like he did with ML, but otherwise in the absence of other departures, chill out!

Edited by Giordano

When they've been embarking on a massive cost-cutting mission over the last 3 years that has seen the vast majority of their best players leave, probably not so attractive.

True, perhaps they see what Cortese can bring from a club building POV aswell as the potential finance that he could perhaps bring into the club (Im just speculating there)

Anyway, I think Cortese leaving would be all but catastrophic to us from the golden plan point of view.