Cortese to go?

Bewildered

Whatever you think of Cortese, him leaving has to be bad news. MP has already said if Cortese leaves he leaves and a player exodus will probably follow as many are here because of the plan and what Cortese has built here over the last few seasons.

I'd say we'd definitely lose: Wanyama, Lovren, Shaw, Clyne, Osvaldo, Ramirez and Schneiderlin. On top of that I wouldn't be surprised if Boruc and Rodriguez and even Lallana and Lambert followed suit. Those that the club refused to sell wouldn't be happy causing even more destabilization.

Anyone who is happy at the possibility of this because they might get their stripes back is barking mad. Remember what it was like supporting an unstable club?

Life moves on. If the scenario Mulletsaint paints plays out then the project is built on sand. Whilst it is unsettling, all the players have contracts and, whilst they might have loyalty to NC, they're not going to walk away without careful thought.

As some of the journos reporting this areclose to NC then I suspect (hope) this is some kind of brinkmanship. MP is the most worrying as his contract isn't sorted.

Either way, life will go on.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Board Express

Whatever you think of Cortese, him leaving has to be bad news. MP has already said if Cortese leaves he leaves and a player exodus will probably follow as many are here because of the plan and what Cortese has built here over the last few seasons.

I'd say we'd definitely lose: Wanyama, Lovren, Shaw, Clyne, Osvaldo, Ramirez and Schneiderlin. On top of that I wouldn't be surprised if Boruc and Rodriguez and even Lallana and Lambert followed suit. Those that the club refused to sell wouldn't be happy causing even more destabilization.

Anyone who is happy at the possibility of this because they might get their stripes back is barking mad. Remember what it was like supporting an unstable club?

Slightly hysterical, there.

Saints are currently in mid table obscurity in the top flight, this is somewhere we have been for years and years before 2005 so effectively all NC has done has return us to where we should be. Personally I think he lucked out in the back to back promotions because anyone in their right mind wouldn't have gone into that championship season without significantly strengthening the squad that only just came runners up in league 1. The bulk of the players that got us into this position were already at the club when he got here and most people would agree that the big money signings have failed to deliver. Are we really going to be that much worse off without him... Or will someone else just come in and keep us where are, where we belong, mid to low table of the top flight.

Whatever happens, this is all just part of the roller coaster of following a football club and it makes it exciting just when we thought the season was getting boring ;)

Up the saints!

Interesting that both times this has got I to the media has been on the back of a run of poor form and with a transfer window in progress

Last year we finished poorly then the story appeared, now we have slipped to 9th from 3rd and the story is out again.

Hmm...severance package doesn't sound good does it? House of cards indeed.

A strange one from the outset. Swiss/German industrialist buys football club in a city he has a few cranes on the docks. Okay so theory is he got "into" us during the remainder of his life but it was still an odd purchase and in reality was surely just to make some bosh. Clearly we are now at our peak in terms of a resale value.

If I was Katerina I would be looking to sell now too. Pulling the funding from Cortese is the start if that process.

One caveat to this is that I would imagine to maximise sale price you would want a stable situation at the club.

As a footnote: I was extremely pleased Markus bought us back from the brink. Him and Cortese have been sensational in turning this rudderless ship around.

Hmm

Yes cos cortese is the only person in the world who knows how to run a football club

Irrelevant, just like all the other criticisms a couple of clowns on here like to throw at him like, "he struts around like he owns the place", "he's mean", "he charges for parking", "he doesn't like our precious franny" and "no body likes him".

The only thing that matters is how successful he has been, and what an incredible job he is doing here. If he goes, that's what will be worth talking about, not the silly nonsense a few like to talk about on this forum.

You really missed my point. The only reason I bought that up was to counter the intolerable conditions line.

The players yes, mopo no. For some reason mopo only works for Nicola, not the club, fans, players or the Liebherr's.

and for this very reason I find it hard to warm to Pochettino , as a character he seems to be dedicated to a chairman rather than attached to the club, the one constant at all clubs is the fans, you can replace everything else and we'll still be here so on that basis I hope the Liebherrs call his bluff and bring in someone new, if funds are still available I'm sure Poch will change his tune.

I won't lose any sleep if a businessman decides to move on from the club (having been paid very handsomely for it)

This is SO like the story at the start of the summer over his plans and discussions with the Liebherr. At the time we were facing doom and gloom - I remember a Daily Mail journo on Talksport stating that Saints fans faced a summer of agonizing uncertainty.

Then what happened?

As pointed out above, the timing of this is interesting. If NC is as ambitious as people say then I can't see him leaving at this stage of the project. Gut feel is that NC is playing another game; perhaps for more funds? Trying to dig up another investor?

I think they will kiss and make up and then it will come up all over again. I think it would be better for the club to be sold and NC carries on working on what he is doing so well.

I fear, he will leave, the manager will leave and then the players in the summer. Leaving the club with no direction.

The timing is poor, just when we have a good chance of a run of good results going into the last few months of the season. This will unsettle things, just like when WGS decided he was leaving!

Slightly hysterical, there.

Nope not at all, just saying it as it is. MP and players such as Lovren and Schneiderlin have been interviewed giving their reasons for being here. We're not a huge club so we need other reasons for attracting good players and staff and keeping them here. Cortese is a huge part of it. Obviously the Liebherr's money has been as well, although I imagine most of that is down to Marcus.

I know that players have a habit of changing tune when a new manager turns up, but I do think we're in a unique position amongst the clubs below the true Premier League elite.

Yes cos cortese is the only person in the world who knows how to run a football club

Of course not but he's doing a better job than half of the idiots running professional football clubs these days. So, you have to wonder what great chairman you have up your sleeve to replace him? After years of mismanagement, embezzlement, brinksmanship and clueless do gooders, we've been lucky to have someone as single minded as Cortese. Yup he's not without his faults, but so far the positives have far outweighed the negatives.

If Katharina Liebherr has no interest in the club, she really should sell.

Yeah,

If she doesn't want to play anymore then she should go/sell. NC will know plenty of other potential owners thats for sure.

I rather the owner changed than the chairman if one of them had to go.

Just been on Solent. Said he is going to weigh his future up over next few days due to broken promises and agreements not fulfilled by Katharina Liebherr and her representatives. Adam Blackmore is under the understanding that if Cortese walks, Liebherr will instruct someone to sell the club.

There can't be many Arab Sheiks left who don't already own a vanity club?

If NC goes the project dissolves and Katherina will dispose of Saints for sure, but to whom?

But in the mail article which has clearly been leaked by the club, it states that she has refused to sell the club twice. I reckon that means to Cortese and his backers.

I think the problems Cortese has are more to do with his plans to buy the club and its price. The Liebherrs want top dollar and he thought he could do a management buy-out at a discount with some investors he could pull together.

His ego could only be satisfied if he was the capo di tutti capi....

Blackmore on Solent just now said if Cortese goes, Liebherrs will try and sell.

If Cortese has financial backers waiting in the wings why not simply sell the club to them BEFORE Cortese leaves?

Perhaps they think they can get more money selling to someone else...

Seems to me like Cortese will walk, Katrina will sell and the new owner would be Cortese + new backer. It all smacks of a game of cat and mouse.

As far as I'm aware, Cortese was instructed to find a buyer for the club - obviously he wants to buy the club (with a.n.other backer) but she didn't want to sell to him, probably because it's Cortese and he's trying to buy it "on the cheap" and now it's blown up to such a state that he will have to walk away in order to assist re-buying the club.

That would make sense to me.

I think the problems Cortese has are more to do with his plans to buy the club and its price. The Liebherrs want top dollar and he thought he could do a management buy-out at a discount with some investors he could pull together.

His ego could only be satisfied if he was the capo di tutti capi....

See we can agree......

Could we see a scenario where Cortese resigns, the Liebherrs sell and Cortese is then re-employed by the new owners?

A long-winded means to an end?

Edit: just read above and would appear that this is the prevailing view

Edited by trousers

and for this very reason I find it hard to warm to Pochettino , as a character he seems to be dedicated to a chairman rather than attached to the club, the one constant at all clubs is the fans, you can replace everything else and we'll still be here so on that basis I hope the Liebherrs call his bluff and bring in someone new, if funds are still available I'm sure Poch will change his tune.

I won't lose any sleep if a businessman decides to move on from the club (having been paid very handsomely for it)

I’m the same - mopo is 100% replaceable, as is Nicola.

Lots of hysterical postings about the club falling down like a house of cards - the same posters that praise Nicola for building the strong foundations....... make your minds up innit

guys now is the time to start our care in community ownership plan! We can trump portsmouth with this + be most big fan ownership in hampshire! Everyone needs to send me £100 ASAP to get ball rolling.

Nah.... That only works when you've got a tinpot club to start with...

Some rumours going that Dietrich Mateschitz (owner of Red Bull) is looking to buy a Premier League club with good assets (stadium) and CL potential...

He already owns several football teams in his native Austria, the US, Germany, and Brazil.

Southampton Red Bulls maybe? :)

I’m the same - mopo is 100% replaceable, as is Nicola.

Lots of hysterical postings about the club falling down like a house of cards - the same posters that praise Nicola for building the strong foundations....... make your minds up innit

I'll bite if I may...You can build a house on sold foundations but what if an undiscovered world war 2 bomb goes off underneath it some years later?

Edited by trousers

Let's hope it is 'smoke screen & mirrors' and not wishful thinking. We can speculate all we like, MLG can dig up every stat and news article relevant. Until we hear something from the club or Nicola, it's going to get uncomfortable.

Not particularly fussed about Pochettino.

at last what we've all wanted Lawrie McMoneybags as Chairman,MLT DOF, Fanny Benali manager, fanontheboard, official club historian. Run by a fans Trust. As Bearsy

says we can all pledge £100 (all cheques made out to Mr L. McMenemy). Liberate the car park. Viola we are a Care In The Community Peoples Club.