Cortese to go?

Bewildered

I have been to Dalian; was a Russian influenced designed old city; now a major sea port, home to the Chinese Navy or part of anyway. Lovely sea food, best I have ever had. Tenuous links to Southampton, were we supposed to have twinned with Qingdao at some point though? Great beer from there!

http://www.forbes.com/profile/wang-jianlin/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joelbackaler/2014/01/10/ranking-14-chinese-companies-going-global-in-2014/

#2 Dalian Wanda (Entertainment & Commercial Real Estate)

After 2012’s record-breaking $2.6 billion acquisition of AMC Entertainment, Dalian Wanda continued its international expansion. In June 2013, the firm purchased a controlling stake in U.K.-based yacht maker Sunseeker International. In December 2013, Wanda took AMC public on the New York Stock Exchange. Led by China’s wealthiest man, Wang Jianlin, the firm will certainly be one to watch in 2014.

I do hope we're not going to be asked to take sides between Cortese and the family.

I never really got to grips with the whole Matt v Nicola, which one to invite to barbecues issue.

So I think I might wait for some facts before getting too excited/worried.

The sunseeker deal would make (a tiny eeny weeny ) bit of sense - as they have said recently that they were looking at building a new 'ship' yard in soton as their plant in Poole couldn't be expanded to build the really large boats for which demand is increasing.

New shipyard next to a revamped stadium complete with integral AMC cinema complex to boot...?

I've missed these takeover threads :)

This is quickly turning into Paul Allen mark 2, someone quickly find if he has a boat and where it is docked currently.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/lifestyle/wealthy-chinese-snap-up/953698.html

LONDON: Superyachts have long been a staple for the world's rich and famous and now, it is China which is snapping up the multi-million pound boats.In 2013, the British yacht-building company Sunseeker was bought by China's richest man Wang Jianlin for nearly $500 million.

Since then demand has risen, with more than half of the company's customers now coming from outside Europe.

You'd be forgiven for mistaking this yacht as a designer penthouse.

Every gadget and parts in this decadent home, which sleeps 12, are made to the highest luxurious standard.

This is the world of the superyachts - a world the Chinese market is tapping into.

Stewart McIntyre, managing director at Sunseeker, said: "The way the Chinese economy works, they've clear got a lot of very, very wealthy people and they've got into boat fairly quickly along with other luxury assets like cars, helicopters and private jets."

At the London Boat Show, there are plenty of high-net worth individuals ready to snap up luxury on the water.

And just like property in London, so many of these superyachts are being sold to customers outside of Britain.

More than a third of Sunseeker's orders now come from customers outside of the EU and according to a report, yacht sales in China are set to grow 13 per cent from 2012 to 2017.

Such is the growing demand in China for superyachts that yacht makers are now starting to install special features that appear to the wealthy Chinese market.

Whether it's a custom made karaoke room or a mahjong table being installed on the upper deck, yacht makers are going the extra mile for the Chinese customer who is spending in excess of $16 million."

The culture of boating in China is also different, these yachts are not being used to sail the high seas - but instead being used for business and entertaining.

"Apart from boardrooms, karaoke rooms and mahjong rooms on their boats, they like luxury and the like things that are new. They like the latest products, latest materials and latest fabric according to their specifications and their lifestyle," explained McIntyre.

Despite the growing success in China for British yacht builders, gaining an even stronger foothold will not be easy.

European yacht exporters have to pay a 43 per cent import tax on vessels sold to the mainland.

But if the success continues, this slice of British luxury looks set to fill up Hong Kong harbour for some time to come.

People seem to be under a very odd belief that players sign for a club or remain at a club solely because of the chairman, rather than because of any combination of the facilities, the other players, the coaching staff, the money on offer and the likelihood of career progression and sporting success.

If Cortese goes - and, let's face it, he will eventually, whether it's now or at some point in the future - then as long as whoever remains at the club can offer enough of those "features", players will continue to want to play for us.

We will see. Under normal circumstances you're right but Cortese drives forward all of the "features" you speak of and there would be zero gaurentee that any of it will continue in the same vain.

Some may like to think that players have a gun pointed to their head out of shot in interviews etc but the reality is, nearly everyone talks about how important the chairmans vision is for the club and for them and based on what I've heard, the player commitment to Cortese is genuine.

This is quickly turning into Paul Allen mark 2, someone quickly find if he has a boat and where it is docked currently.

Don't know if he has a yacht. But as we have discovered he owns a yacht building company!

I was going to say, just look in Poole Harbour he probably owns one (or two) of those that are moored there. I'll pop down tonight and take a few photos shall I?

People seem to be under a very odd belief that players sign for a club or remain at a club solely because of the chairman, rather than because of any combination of the facilities, the other players, the coaching staff, the money on offer and the likelihood of career progression and sporting success.

If Cortese goes - and, let's face it, he will eventually, whether it's now or at some point in the future - then as long as whoever remains at the club can offer enough of those "features", players will continue to want to play for us.

Quite - I can't think of any time in English football when the chairman leaving a club prompted a mass exodus (manager, practically every player, tea lady etc etc) as envisaged by some on here.

Indeed, at a lot of Premier League clubs I struggle to think who the chairman (or CEO if you prefer) actually is - it's usually a relatively low profile position.

Remember, we're not talking about the owner here.

Shouldn't we be looking out for a top-of-the-range Sunseeker with a Chinaman at the helm these days?

Hi all. I have just read this thread from start to finish and have seen nothing of a rumour I heard at the Burnley match recently. At the time I thought nothing of it, but given recent developments there may be (or maybe not) something to it.

I was told that the guy who owns Sunseeker (official team partner, I believe) are lining up to take over the club from the Liebherr family. There was a sticking point over the valuation that was holding things up though. At the time I shrugged it off as terrace talk and took it with a pinch of salt.

Like I said though, this is a rumour I heard and it may be absolutely nothing. That said, I thought it may be relevant to the thread so shared it.

Keep up man :p

Is this the reason behind the "red shirt for the asian market" we've all heard about [tongue-in-cheek-wotsit]

We will see. Under normal circumstances you're right but Cortese drives forward all of the "features" you speak of and there would be zero gaurentee that any of it will continue in the same vain.

Some may like to think that players have a gun pointed to their head out of shot in interviews etc but the reality is, nearly everyone talks about how important the chairmans vision is for the club and for them and based on what I've heard, the player commitment to Cortese is genuine.

Players will say what they're told to say in interviews as is abundantly clear with the nonsense spouted by players down the road over the last few years.

Solent Sport reporting he will be gone in the next few days.

First it smoldered, then the smoke and seems the flames have now appeared. Wonder who's fanning them or is this a way of pacifying the supporters for selling one or two star players or otherwise not spending on new players?

Would rather have NC with an.other financial backer than KL and not have NC

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

+1.

Nicola has been the driving force behind our recent success, and it's clear that KL isn't that into us. Would be best for all parties if the Liebherrs sold up and let others with more ambition and dedication take their place at the club.

This is an awesome way to spend some slack time in the transfer window, yesterday I was getting a boner about Diego joining and today some super wealthy Chinese dude is looking to buy us and leverage the well known efficiencies derived from when you combine a cinema/football club/shipyard.

What's in line for tomorrow ??