Was cortèse going to sell lambert?

Roger

Firstly, is this true? Secondly, surely would be mp choice whether he was sold or not? However everyone saying it didn't go through because cortèse left! Strange.

Assumptions.... Cortese left, deal fell through! Obviously big bad Nic was trying to sell plucky hero Lambert and the only reason it fell through was his move.

I get the feeling that Lambert and Osvaldo didn't get on. Perhaps so much so that Nicola was forced to choose?

Osvaldo thankfully made the decision easy in the end.

Lambert certainly seemed happier Saturday and performance suggested he was more at ease

Did anyone get on with osvaldo?

'The committee' wanted to sell lambert the summer we got promoted so I wouldn't be at all surprised if cortese was willing to sell him in January. However given that cortese was meant to have resigned in October and was working his notice it would have been a pretty vindictive move on his part. And we all know he wasn't like that don't we everyone.

Edited by Turkish

I get the feeling that Lambert and Osvaldo didn't get on. Perhaps so much so that Nicola was forced to choose?

Lambert certainly seemed happier Saturday and performance suggested he was more at ease

He dropped back into the No 10 role on sat, hence why he looked infinately more effective, not entirely sure the whole Ossie issue got in the way of him personally as he was pretty much disliked by much of tye squad

'The committee' wanted to sell lambert the summer we got promoted so I wouldn't be at all surprised if cortese was willing to sell him in January. However given that cortese was meant to have resigned in October and was working his notice it would have been a pretty vindictive move on his part. And we all know he wasn't like that don't we everyone.

Source? That statement would appear ridiculous without some form of proof.....?

Know all this for a fact do we ?

Imagine if we had sold Lambert and the Osvaldo incident had happened a week after it did. We'd being relying on Gallagher and Rodriguez for the rest of the season.

Sorry but I think like MLT, Lambert is the epitome of the new Southampton, losing Rickie would mean more than only relying on Gallagher and Rodriguez.

I think Rickie is what keeps it all together, along with Lallana, Kelvin, Fonte. (The sum equals more than the parts!)

His performance on Saturday would have changed the opinion of many supporters (me included) that selling him for £7m would have been good business. He was excellent, and played as if a big cloud had been lifted from him. Absolutely vital for the team.

He was jaw droppingly brilliant on Saturday and his ability to find the runs of Lallana and Jay Rod was a delight to watch. Rickie does not need pace he just needs willing runners with a bit of pace around him.

I know there is little room for sentiment in football but I say **** that sometimes there is. **** the money Rickie should retire at Saints as Kelvin will. He is a modern day SFC legend.

Source? That statement would appear ridiculous without some form of proof.....?

You see it's funny. When Adkins was here and I said several times he was a dead man walking, that he had little to no say in transfers and cortese didn't rate him I was given all sorts of abuse and trolling accusations. Several people were big enough to apologies at the time Adkins was fired which was fair play to them but the usual status quo remains that if it's something people don't want to to read it's bullsh*t and trolling. Well like I've said before, for someone that talks a lot of bullsh*t and spends my time trolling I seem to get an awful lot right.

He was jaw droppingly brilliant on Saturday and his ability to find the runs of Lallana and Jay Rod was a delight to watch. Rickie does not need pace he just needs willing runners with a bit of pace around him.

I know there is little room for sentiment in football but I say **** that sometimes there is. **** the money Rickie should retire at Saints as Kelvin will. He is a modern day SFC legend.

Agree totally.

This season (last 6 weeks especially) he has had some really bad matches, but he also looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Saturday, he looked a different player second half - as has been said, like a whole weight has been lifted!!

Ricky made a comment in a TV interview at the weekend, I think it was with either BBC or Sky.

He was asked about a potential move that didn't happen in the January window (the inference being West Ham).

He just laughed and said I'm not going to be the first one to leave, and to me that is the crux. The attitude is that this team is going somewhere and RL for the next couple of seasons is a major part of it.

I can't wait to see if the wrath of RL and AL, will keep Luke Shaw or JRod from being tempted by a big offer.

Agree totally.

This season (last 6 weeks especially) he has had some really bad matches, but he also looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Saturday, he looked a different player second half - as has been said, like a whole weight has been lifted!!

He moved back into the number 10 position which released him to dictate the play

You see it's funny. When Adkins was here and I said several times he was a dead man walking, that he had little to no say in transfers and cortese didn't rate him I was given all sorts of abuse and trolling accusations. Several people were big enough to apologies at the time Adkins was fired which was fair play to them but the usual status quo remains that if it's something people don't want to to read it's bullsh*t and trolling. Well like I've said before, for someone that talks a lot of bullsh*t and spends my time trolling I seem to get an awful lot right.

the classic ' I am a victim, no one believes me'... Well give some evidence and you might get some credibility 'sunshine'

You always seem more concerned about how you are perceived by the 'mongboard' hoards than anything else, yet lack the wit to see that if it's credibility you desire, then you need to provide more than just another 'loudest' voice in the playground... Which is intriguing given your WUM tendencies 'sunshine'. ;-)

Ricky made a comment in a TV interview at the weekend, I think it was with either BBC or Sky.

He was asked about a potential move that didn't happen in the January window (the inference being West Ham).

He just laughed and said I'm not going to be the first one to leave, and to me that is the crux. The attitude is that this team is going somewhere and RL for the next couple of seasons is a major part of it.

I can't wait to see if the wrath of RL and AL, will keep Luke Shaw or JRod from being tempted by a big offer.

Everyone loves a good conspiracy... When usually the truth is pretty boring.

Our problem will be what happens if ONE of the stars leaves. Eg what that says to the others about what is left of any plan to progress...one goes, others will follow. Truth is we know nothing about what KL has planned, or what happens even if she does not sell ( and my money is on the fact she will). Stability and mid table will not be enough and a lot will depend on what message she sends out come May.

the classic ' I am a victim, no one believes me'... Well give some evidence and you might get some credibility 'sunshine'

You always seem more concerned about how you are perceived by the 'mongboard' hoards than anything else, yet lack the wit to see that if it's credibility you desire, then you need to provide more than just another 'loudest' voice in the playground... Which is intriguing given your WUM tendencies 'sunshine'. ;-)

Not playing the victim at all pal. It's a fact that I'm often accused of trolling and talking sh*t yet I get a lot right.

As for sources and evidence to proof is there to see. I was sneered at for saying what I did about Adkins and look what happened there. I remember when I said about Di Matteo being offered the job before MP and also when Chelsea were linked with Clyne in the press a while back that they weren't interested in him and said my source was a director at Chelsea who I wouldn't name (I did name him and how I know him via PM to a couple of people on here I have a bit of time for) and was melt with the usual sneering made up comments about the paper and ink salesmen trying to flog Bruce buck a few reams of a4 so that's why you won't get a source out of me, sunshine.

Did Rickie want to go though?

“It has been the best four-and-a-half years of my life,” he said. “I have given everything and I will carry on giving everything I can while I am here. I have absolutely loved it.”

Noticed the way he phrased " I will carry on giving everything I can while I am here." Made me think he has changed his thinking a bit since he sign his contract last year. I do wonder what made him unhappy. Was it Osvaldo? Was it a falling out with Cortese? I did wonder that maybe he felt he was struggling to keep up with Pochettino's high pressing game. Whatever the reason I hope all the factors involved are resolved now and he is happy again. I hope Pochettino sees he is a valuable asset to the team and worth keeping. I hope he can finish his career for us. Many mentioned the he played a little bit of a deeper role on Saturday and it seemed to suit him. Maybe Poch will play him there from now on.

The uncertainty surrounding RL's position probably has had an impact on his form. In WC year what he really needs is certainty about where he's playing, to feel valued (he is certainly valued by his team mates and the fans) and to stay fit. He appears, also, to have been carrying an injury. When he went down off the ball on Saturday I thought he wasn't going to get back up so he probably still isn't 100%. Nonethelss, he did us proud again.

Not playing the victim at all pal. It's a fact that I'm often accused of trolling and talking sh*t yet I get a lot right.

As for sources and evidence to proof is there to see. I was sneered at for saying what I did about Adkins and look what happened there. I remember when I said about Di Matteo being offered the job before MP and also when Chelsea were linked with Clyne in the press a while back that they weren't interested in him and said my source was a director at Chelsea who I wouldn't name (I did name him and how I know him via PM to a couple of people on here I have a bit of time for) and was melt with the usual sneering made up comments about the paper and ink salesmen trying to flog Bruce buck a few reams of a4 so that's why you won't get a source out of me, sunshine.

Adkins being on borrowed time was plain to see following the Coventry game.... The De Matteo link was in the press - it's not sneering it's just you and Glasgow like to make out your deep ITK, when in reality it's just putting 2+2 together from what's in the public domain- or in GS's case revisionist or editing previous posts to suit.

The reason for WUM accusations is quite simple dear boy... The definition of a troll has the fact that it's all negative at the heart of it. Both you and GS, seem only to be ITK about anything negative - never anything remotely positive in outlook.

So tell me - when is KL selling and to whom and will it be good or bad ?

It's the fact that you come across like a pompous arse that makes others accuse you of trolling, not your track record in being right or wrong. Interesting fact tho. As Ewell says, there should be room for a bit sentiment in football. Rickie should see out the remainder of his career here if he wants, he's deserved it.

That reminds me, I've never seen Turkish and Glasgow Saint in the same room together.

Even Lallana said this...

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC 15h

Lallana on Lambert: “There was speculation about him so to see him still here in a #SaintsFC shirt means the world to me and the Club.”

So there was definitely something going on.

Probably just referring to press stories.....http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/sam-allardyces-absence-fuels-rumours-of-west-ham-bid-for-rickie-lambert-9064076.html

Notice the "rumours" but in the title.

Adkins being on borrowed time was plain to see following the Coventry game.... The De Matteo link was in the press - it's not sneering it's just you and Glasgow like to make out your deep ITK, when in reality it's just putting 2+2 together from what's in the public domain- or in GS's case revisionist or editing previous posts to suit.

The reason for WUM accusations is quite simple dear boy... The definition of a troll has the fact that it's all negative at the heart of it. Both you and GS, seem only to be ITK about anything negative - never anything remotely positive in outlook.

So tell me - when is KL selling and to whom and will it be good or bad ?

Some might say negative others would call or balanced and realistic. One thing is for sure, I didn't hero worship and blindly accept every PR spun word said by someone because they told me we were going to play in the champions league in a 50,000 seater stadium. Of course questioning this and the method of achieving it was negative, but guess what? I was right again.

I didn't hero worship and blindly accept every PR spun word said by someone because they told me we were going to play in the champions league in a 50,000 seater stadium. Of course questioning this and the method of achieving it was negative, but guess what? I was right again.

you referring to when you and MLG ruining every thread for a month going over this again and again? ....

Some might say negative others would call or balanced and realistic. One thing is for sure, I didn't hero worship and blindly accept every PR spun word said by someone because they told me we were going to play in the champions league in a 50,000 seater stadium. Of course questioning this and the method of achieving it was negative, but guess what? I was right again.

How do you know you were right on this one, we may still play in the champions league in a 50k stadium. How can you be 100% sure this wont ever happen?

Probably just referring to press stories.....http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/sam-allardyces-absence-fuels-rumours-of-west-ham-bid-for-rickie-lambert-9064076.html

Notice the "rumours" but in the title.

No doubt Adam had read some of the rumours but If they are good friends Rickie may have mentioned something to Adam about maybe moving on. When I read the Lallana interview, I read it as he knew there was something more in it than just speculation. Anyway I echo Lallana's comments ...to see Rickie still here in a Saints shirt means the world to me as well :)

Compare Rickie's contribution to his team's cause on Saturday and Carroll's.

Carroll - two knock downs from hoofed balls, plus a dismissal that might rule him out for three goals.

Lambert - two wonderfully astute passes to set up goals, and a goal himself.

Whose cause will the media be championing to go to Brazil?

Probably not Rickie, because he's slow (apparently) compared to the fleet-footed Carroll.

Even if you consider Carroll's dismissal on Saturday to be a bit harsh, that's a reason why you can't risk him in a World Cup.

He might only be guilty of reckless use of his arm on Saturday, but you can see a scenario where England chuck him on in the first game to try and unsettle the opposition, he flails his arm, an Italian defender goes down holding his head, and off goes Carroll.

Fifa tend not to rescind red cards, so that's Carroll gone for three games.

forgive me for asking but are you not completely ITK? surely u would have been tipped the nod on thier relationship and what nicolas plans where with regard SRL.

aww i got you, you are just being midest and you really do know whether eyngot on or not