Saints players on England duty.

Saint Garrett

If you read the FA report it appears he got booked for his boot coming off. http://www.thefa.com/news/england/development/2014/feb/u17s-out-netherlands-in-the-algarve

The spark would eventually come through debutant Josh Sims, although the afternoon started strangely for the Southampton youngster as he was booked for what appeared to be nothing more sinister than his boot coming off on 21 minutes
.......and they started with a bang as Sims produced a moment of magic he will remember for many a year.

He raced through onto a pass as the defence struggled to catch him, and cut back before finishing right-footed to grab a debut goal on 43 minutes

At 16 Sims has already logged gametime with the U21's and trained several times with the first team as well.

EDIT: Although whisper it quietly, I was told he came to us after being at Portsmouth.

He did. Despite being so slight that his shirt always looks 3 sizes too big he has enough pace and skill for it not to matter. Definitely an exciting player to have coming through.

Is anyone else dumbfounded as to why Calum Chambers hasn't been selected in the U21's? He's now a starter for a top 10 PL team and yet he can't make the U21 squad. I thought he was in with an outside chance of a full England call up this week. Very odd.

Is anyone else dumbfounded as to why Calum Chambers hasn't been selected in the U21's? He's now a starter for a top 10 PL team and yet he can't make the U21 squad. I thought he was in with an outside chance of a full England call up this week. Very odd.

Perhaps that is the reason

Who was the big black left back (number 6 - maybe not a left back) who picked up the ball and beat two men at the beginning of that clip? He looked decent!

Good goal though!

Josh Debayo. He joined us from Chelsea youth as a LB but we're playing him CB. Strong, tall, comfortable on the ball. Good player.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/debayo-signs-up-1119175.aspx

Predictions for Saints call ups today? I'm going with Lallana, Rodriguez, Lambert, Shaw and Clyne.

I think Hodgson is naming a 30 man squad today (?) so wouldn't surprise me to see one or two out of JRod, Shaw, Clyne, Chambers, Cork, JWP named as a result of the extra 7 spaces available. JRod and Shaw the most likely I guess. I think Lallana and Lambert will retain their places (despite Lambert not being 'on fire' for us recently)

Edited by trousers

Calum has played for the U19's a dozen times (or so) and is team captain. As Targett, Gallagher and Reed have now been called up; perhaps he's there to help them get established in the squad.?

He's undoubtedly capable of moving up to the U21's on a permanent basis and I'd guess that there will be a lot of changes in the England set-up, one way or another....AFTER the World Cup.

IMO....the " 100+ cappers " like Cole, Lampard and possibly even Gerrard will disappear, as the next " serious " competition is the Euro. Championships in 2016 - they will definitely be too old for that.

Like Luke Shaw, Calum is a great prospect, so I don't see any mad panic to move him up right away - he still has a bit to learn.

Edited by david in sweden

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/england-squad-announcement-luke-shaw-3187406

Roy Hodgson is likely to give youth a chance when he names an enlarged squad 32-man squad for next Wednesday's home friendly against Denmark at Wembley.

A number of younger players have been pushing their claims to be part of the World Cup squad for Brazil in recent months.

In particular, Luke Shaw and Raheem Sterling have impressed for their Premier League clubs this season.

Nathaniel Clyne and Jon Flanagan may get their first call-ups as cover for Phil Jones and Kyle Walker who are struggling with injuries.

Lloris, Mandanda, Ruffier

Debuchy, Digne, Evra, Koscielny, Mangala, Sagna, Sakho, Varane

Cabaye, Grenier, Matuidi, Mavuba, Pogba, Sissoko

Benzema, Giroud, Griezmann Payet, Remy, Ribery, Valbuena.

Morgan is off of their radar and will be until he gets a move to a club that the FFF staff respect, there is no mystery, he's a better player than Grenier,Sissoko or Mavuba but DD won't pick anyone from a club that he sees as second rate.

I'm running a book on who will be first to post england squad:

Saint-Armstrong - 7/4(F)

Trousers - 2/1

Batman - 4/1

Saint Garrett - 5/1

Colinjb - 5/1

MLG - 6/1

A moderator - 1000/1

Starting a new thread or posting it on this one...? ;)

Edited by trousers

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster, Ben Foster, Joe Hart, John Ruddy; Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Steven Caulker, Ashley Cole, Glen Johnson, Luke Shaw, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker;

Midfielders: Ross Barkley, Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere;

Forwards: Jermain Defoe, Rickie Lambert, Jay Rodriguez, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Daniel Welbeck.

Surely he'll take 1 strong striker to the WC?

It's Lambert or Carroll, and Carroll isn't even in a squad of 30. So I think it's Lambert bar injury. Could motivate him, could make him a bit wary. I mean would you go into headers and challenges with quite the same commitment if your one chance of a World Cup is on the line?

It's a fine line.... if holds back too much Rickie won't look as impressive over the remaining games as an 'all guns blazing' Andy Carroll....

Bold players surely wont actually go?

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster, Ben Foster, Joe Hart, John Ruddy; Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Steven Caulker, Ashley Cole, Glen Johnson, Luke Shaw, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker;

Midfielders: Ross Barkley, Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere;

Forwards: Jermain Defoe, Rickie Lambert, Jay Rodriguez, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Daniel Welbeck.

Jagielka and Jones in for Smalling and one of midfielders. Would be surprised if JRod goes to the WC too.