Major Drug Scandal At Top English Club

manji

A relative of mine is a journo (not sports related though, it should be said) and she has told me that footballers will quite regularly get on it after a match.

This was maybe 4-5 years ago, so if it's changed since then I really don't know. There were a few names she gave, of international and premiership players, who were well known for it. But I don't think it would be wise to make allegations on here.

A relative of mine is a journo (not sports related though, it should be said) and she has told me that footballers will quite regularly get on it after a match.

This was maybe 4-5 years ago, so if it's changed since then I really don't know. There were a few names she gave, of international and premiership players, who were well known for it. But I don't think it would be wise to make allegations on here.

SOME footballers, most likely. I really don't believe there is widespread drug use in professional football nowadays.

SOME footballers, most likely. I really don't believe there is widespread drug use in professional football nowadays.

Well yes, obviously not all. That certainly isn't what I was trying to say.

Though they certainly made it sound like it was more widespread than one may think.

Also, on second reading of the article it sounds more like staff than players.

I would have thought Chelsea's club culture would be a fertile breeding ground for misdemeanours by staff and even some players...but I know nothing. A conspiracy theorist would say that was the real reason Mourhino refused to take questions from press yesterday, not wanting to have to field tricky questions about his colleagues.

Edited by adrian lord

Why were 2 of Aston Villa coaching staff suspended mid week? They were part of the coaching team bought in by Lambert but according to Pat Murphy, BBC, Lambert approved of the suspension. Now the Observer story about a top club!!!!! Or may be it is unrelated. They were accused of creating a poisonous atmosphere at the club but they have been with Lambert for many years!

Edited by Weston Saint
update

It's always something of a surprise that more pro footballers AREN'T implicated in drug taking.

When you think about it, their profile of young men, with lots of disposable income to indulge expensive habits, a fair degree of leisure time, and needing a means of filling the void in down time between the intense highs of match days (we've all seen Claus Lundekvam's accounts of that) fits perfectly with recreational drug users.

And when you consider the farce that is drug-testing in football is, it's no wonder few footballers are caught.

Football is one of the few sports reluctant to sign up to the WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) code of conduct.

Most people associate drug-testing in sport is aimed primarily at performance-enhancing drugs, and when you consider the way that swimmers and track & field athletes are tested, you realise how football gets off lightly.

Swimmers and athletes, for example, can be drug-tested at any time out of competition, and that means any time. The drug testers can knock unannounced on a swimmer or athlete's door at 2am and ask them to take a test. If they manage to avoid three tests, it's tantamount to refusing to provide a sample and they risk facing a ban (Christine Ohuruogu anyone?)

In contrast, football's drug-testing is farcical. The deal Sport England (the drug-testing agency) has with Premier League and Football League clubs is that they can only test players during a training session and post-match. They have to give the Premier League and Football a list at the start of the season of which clubs they will be attending and when, and they can only test those players present on the day.

This makes it easy for footballers to avoid detection. As you know in advance when the testers are coming, you simply make sure your coke-fiend star striker is not at training that day. As coke and other recreational drugs can flush through the system in 36 hours (apparently) if he manages to lay off the stuff from Wednesday onwards, he should be clean if picked out for a random post-match test at the weekend's game.

Sad to day, it is true that in the drug-testers' fight to clean up the game compromises are made, as somebody in the anti-doping camp once told me.

The drug testers would obviously love to expose ALL drug takers, especially the high profile ones to set examples, but the Premier League have their brand to protect and that would prove tricky if big-name players were constantly being nicked.

Football would pull the plug pretty quickly on what little co-operation exists between football and the drug-testers if they exposed big names and whenever players are exposed as recreational drug users they tend to be from lower league clubs and are expendable in the bigger scheme of things.

So while Andy Carroll's injury was no doubt genuine, there have been instances where players have tested positive but a compromise agreement is made that he takes a proscribed time out to recover from an injury in return for the drug testers' silence.

Why were 2 of Aston Villa coaching staff suspended mid week? They were part of the coaching team bought in by Lambert but according to Pat Murphy, BBC, Lambert approved of the suspension. Now the Observer story about a top club!!!!! Or may be it is unrelated. They were accused of creating a poisonous atmosphere at the club but they have been with Lambert for many years!

This report certainly appears to fit with what has happened at Villa

http://m.101greatgoals.com/blog/two-employees-of-a-premier-league-club-snorted-cocaine-in-the-boardroom-of-a-rival-team-police-called-observer/

It's always something of a surprise that more pro footballers AREN'T implicated in drug taking.

When you think about it, their profile of young men, with lots of disposable income to indulge expensive habits, a fair degree of leisure time, and needing a means of filling the void in down time between the intense highs of match days (we've all seen Claus Lundekvam's accounts of that) fits perfectly with recreational drug users.

And when you consider the farce that is drug-testing in football is, it's no wonder few footballers are caught.

Football is one of the few sports reluctant to sign up to the WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) code of conduct.

Most people associate drug-testing in sport is aimed primarily at performance-enhancing drugs, and when you consider the way that swimmers and track & field athletes are tested, you realise how football gets off lightly.

Swimmers and athletes, for example, can be drug-tested at any time out of competition, and that means any time. The drug testers can knock unannounced on a swimmer or athlete's door at 2am and ask them to take a test. If they manage to avoid three tests, it's tantamount to refusing to provide a sample and they risk facing a ban (Christine Ohuruogu anyone?)

In contrast, football's drug-testing is farcical. The deal Sport England (the drug-testing agency) has with Premier League and Football League clubs is that they can only test players during a training session and post-match. They have to give the Premier League and Football a list at the start of the season of which clubs they will be attending and when, and they can only test those players present on the day.

This makes it easy for footballers to avoid detection. As you know in advance when the testers are coming, you simply make sure your coke-fiend star striker is not at training that day. As coke and other recreational drugs can flush through the system in 36 hours (apparently) if he manages to lay off the stuff from Wednesday onwards, he should be clean if picked out for a random post-match test at the weekend's game.

Sad to day, it is true that in the drug-testers' fight to clean up the game compromises are made, as somebody in the anti-doping camp once told me.

The drug testers would obviously love to expose ALL drug takers, especially the high profile ones to set examples, but the Premier League have their brand to protect and that would prove tricky if big-name players were constantly being nicked.

Football would pull the plug pretty quickly on what little co-operation exists between football and the drug-testers if they exposed big names and whenever players are exposed as recreational drug users they tend to be from lower league clubs and are expendable in the bigger scheme of things.

So while Andy Carroll's injury was no doubt genuine, there have been instances where players have tested positive but a compromise agreement is made that he takes a proscribed time out to recover from an injury in return for the drug testers' silence.

Interesting, and what I suspected to be the situation. Does tennis have a similar easy ride? One or two female players look like they've been exposed to masculinising anabolic steroids to me.

This fits very well with info I was told.

Basically, post-game (Saturday night) they go out and get on it. Sunday off, call in sick Monday.

Then it's out their system.

Interesting, and what I suspected to be the situation. Does tennis have a similar easy ride? One or two female players look like they've been exposed to masculinising anabolic steroids to me.

Didn't Agassi say recently he took crack or crystal meth with a trainer or manager or something whilst he was playing?

Clearly this is going back a few years, so may not be totally relevant now - though I'm completely ignorant as to the drug testing standards in tennis both then and now.

Pretty sure the recluse that owns villa is in the process of selling up. Maybe he's trying to abandon ship before the sh!t hits the fan.

Didn't Agassi say recently he took crack or crystal meth with a trainer or manager or something whilst he was playing?

Clearly this is going back a few years, so may not be totally relevant now - though I'm completely ignorant as to the drug testing standards in tennis both then and now.

He fkd up his entire life with meth.

Cortizone. testosterone, EPO - could a footballer use these to improve his speed and stamina? Possibly. Do any footballers use recreational drugs? Probably. Could they avoid detection if they were careful? Very likely.

The football authorities are being very short-sighted in their attitude to drug testing, they seem even more lax than they were in pro cycling twenty years ago. Surely it is only a matter of time before someone is exposed and a scandal of Lance Armstrong proportions is uncovered. I wonder if clubs are complicit as cycling teams were and everybody else is turning a blind eye so that the goose laying the golden eggs isn't frightened off. After all, the financial stakes are enormous.

To be honest I can't believe that if performance drug taking was rife it would have been exposed. If you are interested look into the lengths David Walsh went to in exposing Armstrong. This is a serious journalist who loves the sport of cycling but wasn't going to let everything be brushed under the carpet. Read anything about it and you get a real feel for what an odious person Armstrong is.

Anyway I digress, don't believe for one minute that there aren't journalists out there who would expose this if it was going on to any real degree. Well ones that don't have their noses in the PL trough along with everyone else.

Probably as they know if they signed up to cycling/athletic style drug testing the sport would fall apart overnight.

How so? Surely any form of random or unannounced testing would be an improvement on what's in place now and make it slightly more credible. At the moment any cheats would be doping and laughing at the authorities just as they have in other sports in the past. Football needs to catch up.

Football isnt like endurance or power sports - where drugs give a significant advantage, especially in the build up to major events. Skill and tactics play a much larger role in football and playing every week rules out doping for a major competition. Im sure lots of players take recreational drugs - but I don't see why that's a problem for football particularly - cocaine / cannabis will likely have a negative effect on performance if anything. .

You are right Tim, I had a mate who always used to smoke a splee while playing 5 a side and it never slowed him down. He was one of the best players out of all of us, however an incredible selfer who never used to track back.

My mates and I have a 5-a-side team down the local Goals.

I swear nearly every week the oppo's sub will be blazing a spliff on the sidelines, before passing it on to their team mate when they come on.

Never seems to slow them down, then again, I an make a snail look fast in a straight line.

Football isnt like endurance or power sports - where drugs give a significant advantage, especially in the build up to major events. Skill and tactics play a much larger role in football and playing every week rules out doping for a major competition. Im sure lots of players take recreational drugs - but I don't see why that's a problem for football particularly - cocaine / cannabis will likely have a negative effect on performance if anything. .

Apart, of course, from the fact that cocaine is a Class A narcotic and as such, it is an offence to possess or deal in it in this country.

It could also be argued that cocaine is performance-enhancing.

How so? Surely any form of random or unannounced testing would be an improvement on what's in place now and make it slightly more credible. At the moment any cheats would be doping and laughing at the authorities just as they have in other sports in the past. Football needs to catch up.

I'm agreeing with you. What I'm saying is the authorities don't want random testing brought in as they are aware there will be a huge problem.

Apart, of course, from the fact that cocaine is a Class A narcotic and as such, it is an offence to possess or deal in it in this country.

It could also be argued that cocaine is performance-enhancing.

Unless you're sniffing a couple of grams during a game it really isn't.