Is Jeremy Clarkson finished?

pap

If any of us were in the producer's shoes, or even knew someone in their shoes, we'd probably be spitting feathers at the incident. If any of us hit a colleague at work, we'd have a reasonable expectation of being bounced out of the door on gross misconduct.

I wonder what Jeremy Clarkson has to do to actually lose support amongst his fan base. Would they let him off with a rape? A murder?

"He makes millions for the BBC, don't you know?"

Probably rape as we have seen that Ched Evans had his supporters. He may have got away with murdering the producer if he had provided a steak that was undercooked and the peppercorn sauce was slightly off. A jury could see that as just provocation after a long days work.

If any of us were in the producer's shoes, or even knew someone in their shoes, we'd probably be spitting feathers at the incident. If any of us hit a colleague at work, we'd have a reasonable expectation of being bounced out of the door on gross misconduct.

I wonder what Jeremy Clarkson has to do to actually lose support amongst his fan base. Would they let him off with a rape? A murder?

"He makes millions for the BBC, don't you know?"

It's a mark of some little progress on the part of the BBC that it has responded in the way it has about this. Not before time, though. The allegation against Clarkson, if true, would constitute a criminal offence. The alleged assault, and the eyewitness account of threats to have the producer fired, would in the past have been swept under the carpet at the BBC. Worse, BBC executives would have put pressure on the producer not to institute a formal complaint, and then placed a black mark on the HR record of the producer.

I suppose we can thank Savile for possibly changing that. But I'd suggest keeping an eye out on the career of Oysin Tymon. I'd put money on his not being around Top Gear for long, even if the show survives - and if it migrates to ITV, it'll be without him.

I am not sure if it can migrate to ITV as I think Clarkson sold the rights to the BBC. My money would be on Clarkson working for Murdoch at SKY sometime soon.

As for the producer, if he has done nothing wrong you would hope that his career wouldn't suffer - unless Clarkson is SO big in the business he can make sure he never works again!

Interesting that even his "buddy" May thinks that he is a nob. A close friend of Dave Cameron too who calls him a great talent and says his kids will be devastated if Top Gear goes. Ah, thats ok then David. You worry about Nigel Farrage's comments but are prepared to let Clarkson's casual racism slide because your kids would miss him. Jeez.

As far I can recall, we've had police investigations, several convictions and we're setting up a public inquiry to look at abuse in the establishment. Whether that inquiry goes far enough, we don't know, but once the Savile story broke, people said words. Many of them.

The internals at the BBC are a different story, but it's nonsense to suggest that the general public were not arsed about Savile.

It is Jeremy Clarkson we are talking about here not Beyoncé or Madonna. Has he really hit the peaks of stardom where he has someone employed to wipe his backside? It doesn't sound like there wasn't a meal organised, just that they got back after the hot meals had finished. The pub in my village stops taking orders for meals at 8.30pm.

It may have been a long day. He may well have been tired. We have all been there. But it is 2015 and you cant tell me that it was impossible to find some hot food somewhere in the vicinity. I don't know if he hit him or not but it certainly sounds like there was some unpleasantness, enough to get him suspended. Storm in a tea cup? If you think treating a work colleague like sh*t isn't worth bothering about I would disagree. Still, lets see what the hearing brings. Another final, final warning maybe?

Now it should be abundantly clear to all by now that you obviously don't happen to like Clarkson - indeed you could hardly have made that any clearer. Therefore, the irresistible temptation you feel to use this incidence of diva-like bad behavior as a veritable 'stick to beat him with' is quite understandable I suppose.

But you too should understand that my ability to comprehend another's motivations, is not the same thing as my finding them very impressive.

It's amazing how worked up some people get about an alleged bust up between a tv presenter and a producer! Seriously who gives a sh!t.

I hope Clarkson goes on to earn even more money making a better version of top gear for sky or itv, if only to p!ss off the sad pussies on here.

He (Clarkson) epitomizes, and renders more acceptable, loutish, laddish, boorish behaviour.

Pap will be pleased, as he reckons that the level of support for the pro-Clarkson petition means that we as a species are f*cked.

On the other hand, he reckons that buskers in the High Street belting out amplified obscenities is cool genius and that everybody who complains about the exposure of young children to that is a w*nker.

No way that they are guilty of loutish, laddish, boorish behaviour, eh, Pap, because their songs express left-wing sentiments, whereas Clarkson's opinions are right-wing.

I am not sure if it can migrate to ITV as I think Clarkson sold the rights to the BBC. My money would be on Clarkson working for Murdoch at SKY sometime soon.

As for the producer, if he has done nothing wrong you would hope that his career wouldn't suffer - unless Clarkson is SO big in the business he can make sure he never works again!

Interesting that even his "buddy" May thinks that he is a nob. A close friend of Dave Cameron too who calls him a great talent and says his kids will be devastated if Top Gear goes. Ah, thats ok then David. You worry about Nigel Farrage's comments but are prepared to let Clarkson's casual racism slide because your kids would miss him. Jeez.

The rights are held by BBC Worldwide, not BBC TV, with Clarkson and Wilman's company maintaining a minority interest. There is precedent for BBC Worldwide being behind shows for other networks in the UK, just as there is a precedent for ITV making stuff for the BBC (e.g. University Challenge).

The producer's future is not necessarily as straightforward as you suppose - with the BBC you can't just conclude that because he was an innocent party (as it appears), his career will be unaffected.

It's amazing how worked up some people get about an alleged bust up between a tv presenter and a producer! Seriously who gives a sh!t.

I hope Clarkson goes on to earn even more money making a better version of top gear for sky or itv, if only to p!ss off the sad pussies on here.

Me too. A lot of p*ss and wind about something really quite trivial.

Pap will be pleased, as he reckons that the level of support for the pro-Clarkson petition means that we as a species are f*cked.

On the other hand, he reckons that buskers in the High Street belting out amplified obscenities is cool genius and that everybody who complains about the exposure of young children to that is a w*nker.

No way that they are guilty of loutish, laddish, boorish behaviour, eh, Pap, because their songs express left-wing sentiments, whereas Clarkson's opinions are right-wing.

Thank you for referring to me in every sentence of this post :)

I find you amusing.

Normal people would have sat around a table talked about it and Clarkson would have apologised and bought the bloke a drink. The show would go on.

Sadly the BBC is not the real world and Clarkson is a political animal now and luuvies want him out.

Hold on, wasn't it reported today that it was Clarkson who reported it to the BBC?

Piece by Steve Coogan from 2011.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2011/feb/05/top-gear-offensive-steve-coogan

Richard has his tongue so far down the back of Jeremy's trousers he could forge a career as the back end of a pantomime horse. His attempt to foster some Clarkson-like maverick status with his "edgy" humour is truly tragic. He reminds you of the squirt at school as he hangs round Clarkson the bully, as if to say, "I'm with him". Meanwhile, James May stands at the back holding their coats as they beat up the boy with the stutter.

Amazingly, it's still eerily relevant today. It's almost as if Clarkson has form for getting himself in trouble!

A lawyer for Mr Tymon said his client “intends to await the outcome of the BBC investigation and will make no comment until that investigation is complete”.

if this is a normal workplace incident, why has the victim appointed a lawyer?

Thank you for referring to me in every sentence of this post :)

I find you amusing.

I could only see two Paps - I had to make an assumption for the third ;)

Where do you draw the line? Is sexually explicit language OK? Descriptions of violence?

As always, it's about context.

Any word is fine when uttered in the right context, just as it is entirely possible to hurt others without cussing.

Ah, c'mon. "He" covers it :)

People that get upset about swear words are w**kers.

Those who get upset at people swearing loudly in public are showing consideration and thoughtfulness towards others.

It is the people who use gratuitously offensive language in public who are the w*nkers, as are those by extension who condone it.

Bringing it back to the BBC, they have a 9pm watershed for the use of bad language so that children won't be exposed to it. What a load of w*nkers they must be.

People who get upset at others swearing loudly in public are showing consideration and thoughtfulness towards others.

It is the people who use gratuitously offensive language in public who are the w*nkers, as are those by extension who condone it.

Bringing it back to the BBC, they have a 9pm watershed for the use of bad language so that children won't be exposed to it. What a load of w*nkers they must be.

You truly are as clever as your username.

Right so you do change your behaviour for the benefit of others. How is a band in a public space moderating their language not the same thing?

The band don't have the same HR department I do.

if this is a normal workplace incident, why has the victim appointed a lawyer?

I really don't know although I do know that you are allowed representation by a union rep or otherwise. Perhaps he feels as it is so high profile he wants decent support, Can you blame him?

In The Sun today is says that Clarkson had been drinking for several hours before the incident. Just think, all this could have been avoided if he had decided to put his steak before the booze!

A few years back two colleagues of mine were sacked over an incident in a hotel. We all had a few drinks and went out to get a kebab as the kitchen was closed (we didn't have a producer to blame sadly). We returned with the food and were sitting down eating it when the proprietor came and and told us all to go to bed (I should say it was a small family run hotel. We were somewhat surprised but didn't want any trouble so agreed. One guy had lost his key and asked the proprietor if he could let him into his room. This guy clearly didn't like the fact that we had stayed up drinking and went out to get kebabs and was being quite difficult with my colleague. At that point I went to bed but was aware that another colleague, our union rep, was with the two of them trying to calm things down. As far as I know no punches were thrown and there was no fracas. Just a heated exchange.

The next day my two colleagues were suspended and subsequently sacked for "besmirching the good name of the company." I gave evidence at the tribunal but the sacking was upheld by 2 to 1. I thought that they were hard done by but my point is this not about whether Clarkson hit someone or not. It is about his behaviour. If his employers feel that his behaviour is unacceptable (and lets face it he does have a lot of previous - nothing to do with "luvvies" not liking him, more to do with his racist and discriminatory comments and behaviour) then he is on very dodgy ground, no matter how popular Top Gear is. The BBC sacked Jonathon Ross for going to far. Clarkson cant say that he didn't know what might happen, which is probably why he told the BBC himself.

Me too. A lot of p*ss and wind about something really quite trivial.

Really though? Clarkson was on a final warning about his behaviour and then he kicks off big time because he cant get a steak at a producer when drunk and in a public place witness by others. Do you think that if you or I did that it would have been sorted out quietly and things would have carried on? No, we would be suspended pending an inquiry and more than likely dismissed.

Really though? Clarkson was on a final warning about his behaviour and then he kicks off big time because he cant get a steak at a producer when drunk and in a public place witness by others. Do you think that if you or I did that it would have been sorted out quietly and things would have carried on? No, we would be suspended pending an inquiry and more than likely dismissed.

you make it sound like that is what happens everywhere. it really does not

bf4b9c8ea97e706183a8595911fa5d65.jpg

Not strictly true though is it Batman? How many programmes have been made and articles written about Saville and others? I would say it has been one of the hottest media topics for some time now. No one says a word? If you are going to support Jeremy you are going to have to do better than this mate.

Not strictly true though is it Batman? How many programmes have been made and articles written about Saville and others? I would say it has been one of the hottest media topics for some time now. No one says a word? If you are going to support Jeremy you are going to have to do better than this mate.

ffs, it was a joke

No. It just needs to be funny.

Isnt that what makes a joke funny though? There is something in it that people recognise. I would say Batman's "joke" didn't work because it is not true that paedaphilia has not been recognised at the BBC (how many people have been found guilty so far of sex crimes?). If it was true and nothing had been done about it, it would have been funny.

I agree that some people might get off. There was a phone in on Radio 2 yesterday with people phoning in about their experiences and it would appear that plenty of people get sacked in the workplace for assaulting a colleague.

For the record, what is your opinion of his behaviour?

Sometimes people deserve to get punched, it's pointless trying to judge who was right and who was wrong without knowing all the facts. Unless of course you are just on a witch hunt after someone you don't like because they have different views to your own.

Okay I said I wouldn't return to this forum . It's interesting to note he BBC keep reporting this case re one their employees . Whether it is question time the news or even Andrew meals programme . While you cannot stop other news outlets reporting this story . The BBC are totally out of order and breaching basic confidentiality rules re disciplinary investigations .

They should have advised all programme bbc producers to not mention this case in any of the programmes apart from saying I can make a comment if I was a lawyer I could get Carl

Sometimes people deserve to get punched, it's pointless trying to judge who was right and who was wrong without knowing all the facts. Unless of course you are just on a witch hunt after someone you don't like because they have different views to your own.

How many judges hand out a sentence of "a good punching" to a crim?

Self-defence is the only defence, surely?