Is Jeremy Clarkson finished?

pap

Okay Franco, as I've been labelled a fantastic by you let's pretend all 3 of your posts today, which is all the post you're allowed, WERE NOT full of name calling, swearing, your view of how pathetic you think I am. Let's pretend you didn't use all your post allowance saying that and you cooling batted me away with a cutting riposte which left me floundering and lost for for words, meanwhile you merrily carried on revealing your distaste for Clarkson to the wider forum audience. In that parallel fantasy world you hit a nerve. However as we can see from the above posts, I'll have to wait until tomorrow for the next instalment of how much you laugh at me, how thick I am, how much of a **** I am, because you've used up every single on of your posts today doing just that haven't you pal. I know you have, shall we say, issues, so I hope today little rant doesn't push you over the edge so for that reason I'm happy to pretend that Yes Franco, it's you that's hit the nerve.

He'll start hitting the bottle again and go off on another late night rant if we aren't careful.

• 5 months later...

Suspended by the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31824040

Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended by the BBC "following a fracas" with a producer.

The corporation said the presenter had been suspended "pending an investigation".

"No one else has been suspended. Top Gear will not be broadcast this Sunday," it said.

Clarkson was given what he called his "final warning" last May after claims he used a racist word while filming the popular BBC motoring show.

At the time, he said the BBC had told him he would be sacked if he made "one more offensive remark, anywhere, at any time".

The whole program will be made by his own company and the program sold to sky.

This.

It's shown all over the world not just in the UK and at the same time as UK on a Sunday night BECAUSE HE IS POPULAR.

He may be a boorish oaf to many in the land of Whingeing Poms but he makes a lot of people a lot of money. Give me a boorish oaf over a crooked Banker any day of the week

I imagine they'll kill it off. Be a bit embarrassing if they make a properly modern and respectful car show, and the ratings fall off cliff.

New title. New format.

TWOC Gear.

Replace the Clarkson and Clarkson-alikes with some professional Mancunian car chorers and have them going around the world nicking motors, the "challenge" being to see whether they can elude the local authorities long enough to not get killed.

If they do get killed, just get new Mancs. They are the best car thieves in the country atm.

New title. New format.

TWOC Gear.

Replace the Clarkson and Clarkson-alikes with some professional Mancunian car chorers and have them going around the world nicking motors, the "challenge" being to see whether they can elude the local authorities long enough to not get killed.

If they do get killed, just get new Mancs. They are the best car thieves in the country atm.

The Clarkson is a good character, if slightly implausible. I would actually like to see him in a drama, like say he was a police detective or a school teacher, but not a namby-pamby liberal one. A racist one, who Gets the Job Done. I would also like to see a movie about his time at BBC, as long as it was solely from his Point Of View, and deeply offensive :thumbup:

Well, if Clarkson goes it will be the end of the program In its current guise.

They'll all go to Sky or another channel, get paid more and carry on. It is the biggest program in the world, and it is a massive money maker for the BBC, but that's life.

That probably would happen but it would be a Clarkson show, not Top Gear and it wouldn't achieve anywhere near the scale of the current brand. Just a classic case of post-BBC rubbishness.

I doubt Hammond and May would walk out on one of TVs biggest brands. JC is replaceable and they would replace him.

pls tell me at least, that the producer was a trans-gender african midget?

i think you might be off the mark here. If it was a midget then JC would more likely kick the little b4stard. The African trans gender bit is a fair shout tho.

The producer thing and whole fracas business is just a smokescreen. This is what actually happened.

Clarkson entered a plush suite bedecked with a full-size mirror. No-one was in the room when he entered, and he was alone the entire time. Nevertheless, Clarkson left with broken glass embedded in both knuckles and a £200 bill for "Sundries".

When asked to explain his behaviour, Clarkson privately admitted. "I could not help myself. I had to punch the c##t"*.

* Dramatic pauses removed for legibility.

Edited by pap

That probably would happen but it would be a Clarkson show, not Top Gear and it wouldn't achieve anywhere near the scale of the current brand. Just a classic case of post-BBC rubbishness.

I doubt Hammond and May would walk out on one of TVs biggest brands. JC is replaceable and they would replace him.

I think they would. Don't underestimate how close these guys are, and the money they'd get paid elsewhere.

Doesn't Clarkson own a large chunk of Top Gear?

I probably wouldn't watch the show without Clarkson, however much people dislike him he writes the show pretty well, and is the glue that holds it all together.

I think they would. Don't underestimate how close these guys are, and the money they'd get paid elsewhere.

Doesn't Clarkson own a large chunk of Top Gear?

I probably wouldn't watch the show without Clarkson, however much people dislike him he writes the show pretty well, and is the glue that holds it all together.

He doesn't own it anymore - he did a deal with the BBC and BBC worldwide last year.

We'll see how it plays out. I'm not sure May and Hammond would just walk out on TC if they had the chance to take it on.

Top Gear currently 5 million viewers. A Sky version would pull in about a fifth of that at best, probably less.

He doesn't own it anymore - he did a deal with the BBC and BBC worldwide last year.

We'll see how it plays out. I'm not sure May and Hammond would just walk out on TC if they had the chance to take it on.

Top Gear currently 5 million viewers. A Sky version would pull in about a fifth of that at best, probably less.

Yes, but what difference does viewers make?

Yes, but what difference does viewers make?

It's a factor. Sky can chuck a huge contract at JC and maybe the other two but not necessarily the production team, and almost certainly not the scale and ambition of production values that the BBC bring to it. And not just the viewers and cache of being on genuinely one of Britain's biggest TV shows and part of a bona fide global TV brand.

Plus May and Hammond get more from the BBC than just Top Gear, as they've both benefited from high profile, nicely made TV series on topics that interest them.

You think they're going to walk out on all of that to do a half pint rip off to a niche audience because their colleague punched a co worker? Sorry, not so sure.

Edited by CB Fry

It's a factor. Sky can chuck a huge contract at JC and maybe the other two but not necessarily the production team, and almost certainly not the scale and ambition of production values that the BBC bring to it. And not just the viewers and cache of being on genuinely one of Britain's biggest TV shows and part of a bona fide global TV brand.

Plus May and Hammond get more from the BBC than just Top Gear, as they've both benefited from high profile, nicely made TV series on topics that interest them.

You think they're going to walk out on all of that to do a half pint rip off to a niche audience because their colleague punched a co worker? Sorry, not so sure.

I disagree.

They don't seem unduly concerned looking at their Twittering tonight.

I disagree.

They don't seem unduly concerned looking at their Twittering tonight.

Just looked at their Twitter feeds. Not entirely sure what conclusion you're drawing from what either of them have said. Just a bit of Top Gear joshing.

My cousin works for BBC worldwide, the guys that sell the overseas rights to Top Gear, Wolf Hall, etc. Their top three earners are, in descending order:

1 Top Gear

2 Doctor Who

3 Strictly Come Dancing

Therefore the Beeb have a big conundrum here. Do they kill the goose and egg altogether, or do they sack Clarkson and try to replace him? Personally I think he's a tw4t, but it is *his* show when alls said and done. You couldn't imagine them continuing with Hammond, May and a.n. Other, whoever that might be. I think he'll have a massive rollicking, perhaps be fined, but will ultimately be allowed to continue.

As for the programme itself, it went off the boil when they started manufacturing too many "situations", around the time of the burning caravan stunt. They've definitely run out of ideas and are just rehashing old ones. Bit like Soccer A.M.

I wonder if the BBC owns the rights to Top Gear?

He's a dinosaur

Really? Do you actually think he believes a lot of what he says? He is controversial but deliberately so and the BBC have lapped this up for years because he brings in big money. Unfortunately it was only a matter of time before the hard lefties at the beeb put a stop to it. The old Top Gear failed because it was boring; the current format is a major hit around the world and will continue to be so with or without the BBC; I'm sure Clarkson will still be involved though.

Will the world continue to turn if Clarkson gets sacked? Not a great loss in the grand scheme of things. I am not sure what is worse - if he believes the things he says or whether he says things to get noticed. Either way a tw*t in my book. Do grown men actually buy his sh*t? I can see the appeal to teenagers.

Will the world continue to turn if Clarkson gets sacked? Not a great loss in the grand scheme of things. I am not sure what is worse - if he believes the things he says or whether he says things to get noticed. Either way a tw*t in my book. Do grown men actually buy his sh*t? I can see the appeal to teenagers.

Of course grown men don't believe his sh*t; it's all about a bit of a escapism on a sunday night before going back to work the next day. He may be a tw*t (in your eyes) but he's a very popular tw*t that's why it's so difficult to get tickets to see the show. If you don't like him don't watch the show the same way I avoid any programme that involves the odious Russell Brand.

Well I am not in the least embarrassed to admit that I am one of the 'saddos' who enjoy watching Top Gear - this strange sadness must be contagious then because there are literally millions of us all over the world. Indeed I've been watching Top Gear since the time William Woollard was road testing Austin Maestro's!

Much as I have enjoyed the programme over the years (the 'specials' are still superb television) those who say it is running out of steam may well have a point - the recent 'ambulance' feature and a pointlessly silly piece on Peugeot's being Exhibit 1 for the prosecution.

I just can't see the show continuing in its current format without JC (Clarkson not Christ) and I don't think the BBC can back down after so publicly stating that he was on the dreaded 'final waring'. So this probably is the end of TG as we know it then - and for all the criticism the beeb will have a hard task on their hands devising another series that will be even half as successful as TG has been over the years.

PS - what will Dave do!

Just looked at their Twitter feeds. Not entirely sure what conclusion you're drawing from what either of them have said. Just a bit of Top Gear joshing.

The fact that they're joshing and joking that their's no Top Gear this week makes it seem like they're not unduly concerned, as I said in my last post?!

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

The fact that they're joshing and joking that their's no Top Gear this week makes it seem like they're not unduly concerned?!

And? Don't really get your point.

All that tells me is they are more circumspect when managing their public pronouncements than their co-host.

It certainly doesn't say they are both quitting to go to Sky.