Commercial ineptitude

angelman

Yep I dont think we're going to be going head to head with them for a while yet :) My point was more about the fact that for clubs like Saints which have a mostly local, or at least UK fanbase making and selling your own kit direct can be more profitable. Clubs like Man U with a global market need the worldwide distribution only a big name can offer - hence the huge headline figure.

A fair point.

As a guide, here's a list of the published "commercial revenues" of all of the PL clubs from 2012/13 (our first back in the PL, and the most recent where all club accounts are available):

Man United £153m

Man City £143m

Liverpool £98m

Chelsea £84m

Arsenal £62m

Tottenham £57m

West Ham £20m

Sunderland £19m

Newcastle £17m

Aston Villa £16m

Everton £14m

Norwich £13m

Fulham £11m

West Brom £10m

QPR £9m

Southampton £7m

Swansea £6m

Reading £5m

Stoke £5m

Wigan £2m

Clearly those figures will have increased for the clubs who are still in the PL. Largely, that is as a result of the Financial Fair Play rules put in place which have prompted clubs to dedicate much more time to increasing their commercial revenue. I wouldn't say it's inconceivable that we might double that figure to £14m by the end of this season. My understanding is that the Veho deal is worth around £2m per year basic, with various revenue-sharing add-ons with the merchandise. However, the long and short of it is that we're small-fry compared to the likes of Man United.

From 2015/16, their kit manufacturing deal with Adidas alone - ignoring the actual shirt sponsorship deal with Chevrolet - is worth £75m a year to them, with Adidas supposedly budgeting to make £150m a year out of it themselves. Terrifying numbers, really.

Like others, I like the idea of Veho being sponsor, but I can´t help feeling both them and the club have missed a trick a bit.

The rugby club I support, Saracens, are sponsored by Garmin. All Saracens season ticket holders and members get a discount on all Garmin products. The club can sell this an another benefit of membership, the company is likely to get more sales, and fans who wish can save a bot of money.

Surely Saints and Veho could have done something similar?

We ask for loyalty from our players and then expect our club to say to local sponsors who are actual supporters like us that they do not give enough, we are not like Man U and from this point of view I hope we will never be.

It seems rather stupid of me but sometimes money should not matter.

I heard that we had a bigger offer on the table than what Veho were offering but that Rogers opted to go with Veho (which was a deal he'd lined up independently of the Sales and Marketing team). I don't have all the facts so there may be more to it, but I know we didn't accept accept the highest offer on the shirt deal.

That is absolutely spot on, much to the annoyance of the sales & marketing team. You can't blame them for being upset. They did a load of very good work and then had the rug pulled from underneath them by somebody who was clearly on some kind of ego trip.

I'm very happy with Veho as a shirt sponsor, and I know I'm not the only one. My Man U-supporting Dad tried to laugh at us when he saw the Chevrolet vs. Veho numbers, asking 'who are Veho, anyway?', then quickly changed his tune when I pointed out he's got a pair of Veho wireless speakers that he thinks are the dog's b*llocks.

That is absolutely spot on, much to the annoyance of the sales & marketing team. You can't blame them for being upset. They did a load of very good work and then had the rug pulled from underneath them by somebody who was clearly on some kind of ego trip.

Do you know what sort of difference monetarily there was?

I'm very happy with Veho as a shirt sponsor, and I know I'm not the only one. My Man U-supporting Dad tried to laugh at us when he saw the Chevrolet vs. Veho numbers, asking 'who are Veho, anyway?', then quickly changed his tune when I pointed out he's got a pair of Veho wireless speakers that he thinks are the dog's b*llocks.

I hope he buys a Chevy. He deserves one. ;)

But once again it's just pie in the sky, all very interesting but never any real proof.

Its just business. Bale 80 mil, Fabregas 30mil, Drury £100,000. Is Bales 2.6 times better than Fabregas? No. Is Bale 800 times better than Drury? No. But to the clubs they are. It is always a hugh curve when ou get to the very biggest and best, in film, business or else where.

I sincerely hope that your family doesn't drive the lump of automobile ****e that is a Chevrolet. That is nothing for any Man Utd fan to be proud of, having them sponsor their team. But still, loads of money is what is important to any plastic fan.

we had our best season for years last year...and quite a few games were either not a complete sell-out, or it was easy to get tickets just a few days before... until we have a large committed fan base, both here and elsewhere, we'll always struggle get deals that those with larger fan bases do....

the club needs to focus on increasing it's dedicated and committed fan base (i.e. getting more customers).. rathe rather than trying to get more out of its existing ones...

I think the point of having someone like Veho I'd they will support us wherever we are in the table.

If we are scrapping at the bottom end of the table then we would still have that local firm proud to be involved.

For as long as we have the current owners I think we can say no to the Wongas of this world.

This.

I would NOT buy a ticket if our sponsor was Wonga or one of those loan outfits.

They're annoying me at the moment too. I'm still waiting for their invoice for the hospitality season tickets that I've purchased through my company and I'm still waiting four weeks later, having received an email stating it would arrive within two days. That and the fact I've emailed them twice to chase it up.

To think that they seemed so desperate to take normal season ticket money but can't be arsed to take mine!

This why we are unlikely to get into the CL. Manu, City, Chelsea, Arsenal Etc have the income to pay the wages of top players because they have global fan base that attracts big sponsorship deals. We can't attract this level of income, so will never be able attract enough of the best players to get into the CL. It's catch22!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

They're annoying me at the moment too. I'm still waiting for their invoice for the hospitality season tickets that I've purchased through my company and I'm still waiting four weeks later, having received an email stating it would arrive within two days. That and the fact I've emailed them twice to chase it up.

To think that they seemed so desperate to take normal season ticket money but can't be arsed to take mine!

Don't pay it for 4 weeks when it does come.

I would think the veho deal is more than shirt sponsorship. Can already see more social media and team videos based on the muvi cameras appearing on line which must be through the partnership and likely not to have happened with another sponsor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree with the person who said that we need to fill the ground week in week out before we start criticising the commercial performance in too much depth, although the club have identified it as an area to improve on.

Can understand people not being able to go to games because they can't afford it and it's been a very tough few years economically. I have to pick and choose because of the petrol costs for me but go as often as I can. Also, the ST pricing for 11-18s could be much better. However, I do find it a bit rich that some of the worst critics are quite happy to watch games on a stream and then spend what they would have done on a ticket watching an excellent team last season on gallons of cold, chemical lager. Some 'fans'.

Man Utd apparently have 659million worldwide supporters, we have a couple of hundred thousand?

They have 3250 times more appeal than us and they only get 105 times the sponsorship money? Useless clowns that ManU commercial department.

After last season a lot of those glory hunters probably support someone else.

I've worked in very senior commercial roles for very well known businesses and have experience of these sorts of deals - if it is worth £1m year then all i can say is its a staggeringly bad deal. To be a premiership team that finish well into the top 10, playing attractive football with all the other positive attributes this club boasts to then go and agree a deal worth sweet faaak all in the scheme of things is shocking.

The deal is good for veho (who ffs) and i dare say their saints supporting MD has a permanent hard on, but i simply can't believe thats the best we could do.

So bad its almost funny.

I've worked in very senior commercial roles for very well known businesses and have experience of these sorts of deals - if it is worth £1m year then all i can say is its a staggeringly bad deal. To be a premiership team that finish well into the top 10, playing attractive football with all the other positive attributes this club boasts to then go and agree a deal worth sweet faaak all in the scheme of things is shocking.

The deal is good for veho (who ffs) and i dare say their saints supporting MD has a permanent hard on, but i simply can't believe thats the best we could do.

So bad its almost funny.

Strange that, cos most "proper" businessmen see football for the terrible business it is and also see little benefit in signing up with any clubs other than the massive global brands because they just don't get their money's worth. Even Spurs and Liverpool are sponsored by utter nobodies.

This discussion seems to be very much focused on shirt sponsorship, which is an important and possibly largest part of commercial revenues but it is not the only one (BTW, company I worked for had a shirt sponsorship deal with Villa nearly 20 years ago at £1M per year, so you would think we are comparable with Villa and could achieve more presently?).

We are poor at corporate events - match day hospitality, using St. Mary's (or even the new training facilities) for corporate events, team meetings, accommodation (out of season) - I now work for a large American multinational and we regularly hold company events in UK/Europe for several thousand people at a time, and the Yanks love good old British history / heritage, so it would not be too difficult to put a package together that could net Saints circa £200K per event (themed around 100+ year team founded by a Southampton "Saints" Church team etc.).

Corporate gifts are another idea - we spend a huge sum of money for customer gifts, but I would not get anything from the Saints shop - it's just not suitable, and mostly very cheap (quality not price). There are many other ideas that could be explored - the "Saints" brand could really be built in to something special - appreciate we might not be able to copyright it but I don't think we would need to.

Oh really...........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpFp9FTb6CA&list=UUxvXjfiIHQ2O6saVx_ZFqnw

Yet another perfect example of why I post so little on here - always a smart a r se around. What on earth has a charity ukulele world record attempt (attended by, wait for it, nearly 4,000 people of all ages) got to do with raising funds from corporate events?? Do kindly enlighten me - I am clearly missing something? Perhaps we charged each ukulele player a grand to enter the ground???

Yet another perfect example of why I post so little on here - always a smart a r se around. What on earth has a charity ukulele world record attempt (attended by, wait for it, nearly 4,000 people of all ages) got to do with raising funds from corporate events?? Do kindly enlighten me - I am clearly missing something? Perhaps we charged each ukulele player a grand to enter the ground???

Unless of course you meant it in jest Angelman, it which case I humbly apologise - bad day and all that!

There appears to have been a shift in the right direction if the pricing for the Bayer Leverkusen match is anything to go by. Adults for £10/£12 depending on ST holder or not, Concessions at £6/£8 and two nippers free with each adult is vary attractive pricing. Perhaps it has been realised that it is better to have a much fuller stadium, that overall more money can be generated because of merchandise and concourse sales, with the added bonus that the support is better and that the kids are potentially the next generation of fans. If we replicate this for Cup matches, then it will be a significant change of policy for the better.

Can you pay on the door? Got a flight coming back from holiday that day, but not sure whether I can get from Soton A'port, home and back to the ground on time. Guess I can get the Mrs to drop me and my lad off and we can catch a train, but not sure how popular that would be!!

Don't worry we hired Ralph to fix our commercial revenue woes, I'm sure he's just days away from reporting back to the office with his new strategy, clients and record breaking income streams!

Well he has already come up with free parking for those buying a shirt on release day but its now £2.50 fee per ticket rather than transaction so basically fleece your current customers more!

Arsenal were in the papers a while back trying to get the number of concerts increased from 3 to 6. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-launch-legal-battle-over-number-of-concerts-at-emirates-stadium-9620918.html

I am sure that someone can tell me, but does SMS have concerts on a regular basis? Is their any planning issues? Obviously, given that Arsenal are pushing hard to increase by 3 dates, it is quite lucrative.

Arsenal were in the papers a while back trying to get the number of concerts increased from 3 to 6. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-launch-legal-battle-over-number-of-concerts-at-emirates-stadium-9620918.html

I am sure that someone can tell me, but does SMS have concerts on a regular basis? Is their any planning issues? Obviously, given that Arsenal are pushing hard to increase by 3 dates, it is quite lucrative.

I can't remember a concert at St Mary's since I've been living here (post 2006 World Cup). I think Bon Jovi in 2006 was the last one, with Elton John the year before. There was talk of Bon Jovi again around 2008 but no idea if that actually happened.

I can't remember a concert at St Mary's since I've been living here (post 2006 World Cup). I think Bon Jovi in 2006 was the last one, with Elton John the year before. There was talk of Bon Jovi again around 2008 but no idea if that actually happened.

My mum went to the Elton John one and they were not supposed to stand up from their seats (on the pitch anyway)

WTF?

The9, I am presuming you are being sarcastic

Standard Chartered 2013 revenue = $17.5 billion

HP 2013 revenue = $112.3 billion

Both with profits in the billions.

Us, well.....

Revenue isn't the only measure of being a "nobody" or not, Standard Chartered are a nobody company apart from to people who work in the financial sector, and apart from anything Spurs aren't sponsored by HP any more, which tells you all you need to know about how worthwhile shirt advertising actually is.

It's a strange animal that wants to sponsor a football team to appeal to people who don't watch football.

Why do some people on this forum have a desire to constantly criticise the club? It's hard to believe this is a site for Saints fans at times.

Because FFP rules mean that it is very important to maximise revenue. Personally, and this has been confirmed by Ralph, income could be improved.