Commentator Clichés

Faz

So which commentator clichés to you think will be applied to Saints this year?

I'm going for: "I don't know what they put in the water down there" as the next academy product makes the breakthrough

'Thats world class'

Everytime Rooney passes/shoots from more than 10 yards away.

Jamie Redknapps favourite

I love it when Gerrard/Rooney/Ashley Cole/Hart have a blinder against say, Crystal Palace and Redknapp JR comes out with the old "he is the best in the world"

be interesting to know how long it will take before one of the ENgland flops get called world class this season

I reckon by end of August....

"Double Dutch"

"Brothers in arms.."

reference the Koeman Bros.

Has a Tyldesley ring to it, or Townsend but fortunately neither should be involved in our matches next season.

Oh, and then there's always "that night in Rotterdam, in 1993..."

"Double Dutch"

"Brothers in arms.."

reference the Koeman Bros.

Has a Tyldesley ring to it, or Townsend but fortunately neither should be involved in our matches next season.

Oh, and then there's always "that night in Rotterdam, in 1993..."

"He's gonna flick one, he's gonna flick, HE'S GONNA FLICK ONE"

"He's gonna flick one, he's gonna flick, HE'S GONNA FLICK ONE"

The late Brian Moore. Although he had his detractors we certainly had a greater range of commentators in his day than the poor offerings served up now.

If we do well against bigger teams, like last season I'm expecting the usual drivel about how the bigger teams have had an "off day" against us.

to be fair. its always us (on here) who played badly when we lose to a lesser side

If we do well against bigger teams, like last season I'm expecting the usual drivel about how the bigger teams have had an "off day" against us.

Doesn't really happen though, does it? We were showered with praise last season left, right and centre.

This kind of moan is almost as outdated as the classic myth "when he wins he's British, when he loses he's Scottish" thing bitter old jocks say about media coverage of Andy Murray.

Yeah, I was going to revive "Struggling Southampton" too. And we'll get the lie about 6-3 grey shirts when we play Man United on the box again too... (it was the 3-1 match).

There will be endless lazy academy references, a load of stuff about how Saints fans will wish we'd kept x player and where could we have been now, some will still traipse out stuff about us being a selling club and needing the money, the South Coast "not being a hotbed of football", and many many more.

Oh and of course endless mentions of Total Football, when we won't be playing Total Football. The 4-3-3 (even a narrow midfield 4-3-3 played in a completely different way to 1970s Holland) won't help getting rid of this lazy Dutch related piece of footballing shorthand.

Doesn't really happen though, does it? We were showered with praise last season left, right and centre.

This kind of moan is almost as outdated as the classic myth "when he wins he's British, when he loses he's Scottish" thing bitter old jocks say about media coverage of Andy Murray.

Did I touch a nerve or something?? This is just a light-hearted thread!

And yeah it does happen, heard it on a number of occasion last season from commentators during Saints games on the telly/internet streams. But do go on, tell me what I know.

So which commentator clichés to you think will be applied to Saints this year?

I'm going for: "I don't know what they put in the water down there" as the next academy product makes the breakthrough

I think it will be lots about how Saints are struggling having lost their quality players over the Summer sadly. So I'm going for, 'You can't win anything with kids'.

He should have put his laces through the ball - heard from Townsend several times a match.

Unless we draw Liverpool in the FA Cup 3rd Round I doubt ITV's Andy Townsend will be covering many Saints matches next season...

'And can't believ it. Where was Lamberts head? A quick pass from Shneiderland to David and into the box and Rickie Lambert must have forgotten his transfer as he slips it passed Brad Jones to give Saints a 3-2 lead in the 92nd minute. Brendan Rodgers has a last roll of the dice taking Lallana off for Steve Gerrard. There are boos from all four corners of St Mary's standium as Lallana walks off, not knowing who to applaud. And we are off again, and Wanyama takles Graard on the half way line a slips it to Ward Prowse, who moves up the field. And it's over to Jay Rodriguez who scores a shocking long range shot from outside the area. Louvren, another former Saint, is waving for off side but it looks like Louvren and Toure got confused and actually played Rodriguez on side.And that's it, that's the Dutch cap on the day, Southampton walk away the winners today 4-2. '